Close DLP? Whaddya think?

Kingdom WDW

Original Poster
Should they close the DLP? I know it's a beautiful park and all, but the attendance is horrible.
On paper, it added up. Putting a Disney Park in an urban area looked good because of TDL, but why would it do so badly? Is it a European thing?

I just don't know, but Disney could close that, scrap the pieces, and use them for something useful at the other Disney parks, like HKDL?

Kingdom WDW

Original Poster
Oh, sorry I didn't see that you edited your post. But still, there is another park at DLP that from what I could see (I may be wrong) that Studios park isn't on the list.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
DLP isn`t in an urban area. It`s as urban as WDW.

As for closing it due to attendence.... where do you get your facts from? It is though, as you say, beautiful.

Philo

No no no no no no no!

It doesn't offer as much as WDW but no where else in the world does. Personally I feel that alot of the DLP attractions are better than the WDW counterparts (BTMR, SM), the park is also better organised and better looking. I would find it hard to spend a whole week there it but its great for a few days.

On my first visit (first ever to a disney park) I spend 4 full days at the two parks when it was practically empty (It was in February and everything was frozen!!!) so I'm sure I could (and will) do the same again when its a little busier.

Kingdom WDW

Original Poster
Correction: I got confused. It was financial problems, not exactly attendance. I don't think I knew enough about the topic to post it. I apologize.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No worries. FYI, the finnancial problems are getting better. The park is no longer under threat of closure (as it unbelievebly was in `94 by Eisner, as a threat to the restructuring) and profits are up - though the debt from construction is still being paid off.

In a nutshell, WDI built the ultimate Magic Kingdom. Half as big again as Orlandos. Each attraction was taken back to basics and rebuilt, improved, expanded with state of the art technology; an example - PotC is on THREE floors! Eager not to repeat the Anaheim and to a lesser extent Orlando experiences with not enough hotel rooms on site and 3rd parties taking guests, and revenue, away, it was decided to build 7 resorts for day one. This was dropped to 6 just before construction, but the resorts were like the park - no expense spared. The Newport Bay was the largest in Europe when it opened.

The park was very popular from day one; indeed Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril was an off the shelf stop gap to take the strain of ThunderMountain whilst Discovery/Space Mountain was finalised; Indy was greenlit, bought, installed and themed in less than 6 months for the 1993 summer season. The 1992 summer was mayhem. Park closures were the norm. However, the projected figures for hotel occupancy never happened; the price was too high, people didn`t stay as long as Eisner had hoped (he envisaged a mini WDW from day one) and indeed the Newport was mothballed over winter. The park was doing a roaring trade; the hotels were hemmoraging money. Europe was in a recession. All the while the banks had to be paid back the $5-6 BILLION EuroDisneyland had cost to open in April 1992.

And they are still paying off the loans.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Kinda off topic, but do you peeps think that Eisner maked or breaked Disney?
Without getting too off topic, or into a heated discussion area, Eisner and Frank Wells should both be credited equally with saving Disney - with help from Roy E Disney, Card Walker, Ron Miller and Sid Bass amongst others.

In the first 10 years they were CEO and CFO, Eisner and Wells could do no wrong. However, after Franks sad death in 1994 Eisner had no one to second guess him and reign him in - unlike Walt and Roy where Walt flourished on his own against Roy O`s wishes Eisner needed guidence. For the decade or so after Franks death he made some great choices - though not nearly as many as with Franks help - some mediocre ones and some downright crazy ones. Did the power go to his head? Probably (as anyone who read Disney War and Work in Progress can testify) Did he become an egomaniac? Possibly. Did he outstay his welcome? Maybe.

Or did he have no choice but to try and diversify the companys reach into new areas and technologies, lest it become the company of 1983? If so, could he have done it better?

All IMHO of course.

One thing is for sure; there are more projects regarded as failures by geeks, fans, experts and professionals between 1996-2006 than there ever were between 1984-1994.

cmatt

financially - they are getting there, they took a hit on the chin and they are now healing.

urban? - fields urban?!! i think not... it is about as urban as stornoway!

attendence... you are having a laugh! it has a captive audience, the main competitor near is parc d asterix! which is awesome but doesnt really compare.

Most rides are better then their american counter part - RNRRC, Space Mountain and Big Thunder mountain rail road to name but a few :)

Philo

Most rides are better then their american counter part - RNRRC, Space Mountain and Big Thunder mountain rail road to name but a few :)

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't RNRRC at DLP the same as that at WDW?

I couldn't agree more on the BTMrR and SM though. Can't wait to ride those again!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't RNRRC at DLP the same as that at WDW?
In ride system and layout, yes. But in visuals, the WDSP version is way ahead - no flat UV lit props; Instead the mother of all lighting rigs. All synced to the track your car is playing.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
close it and rebuild in Spain... their fortunes will turn around :lol:

coasterphil

Its too bad it wasn't built in Barcelona. I think it would've done so much better and I personally would much rather visit a resort there.

Smee

Keep Investing

We just returned from our first ever experience at DLP. While the crowds were low on our first day (a Thursday) on Friday it picked up considerably and on Saturday the place was packed. Ride lines were long and our hotel (Newport) seemed full. There were families there from all over Europe, many from Spain, Italy, UK, Germany, as well as the expected large attendance from France. We did not meet or sense any other Americans were there during our stay.

As previously mentioned, many things about Disneyland Park (DLPs Magic Kingdom) are at least as good or better than their USA counterparts. Thunder Mountain, POC, Space Mountain, to name a few. Fantasy Land is spacious and full of all the classics. And the DLP Mainstreet is really beautiful. The castle is stunning, with great lighting and beautiful details.

The Studios park needs investment and is getting it with the construction of a TOT.

I'll get into more of this in trip report soon. But close it? Insane. The park struggled out of the gate with the debt load, but better days seem assured. Europe has the foundation of a great park that is going to get better. Build it up and they will come.

darthjohnny

In ride system and layout, yes. But in visuals, the WDSP version is way ahead - no flat UV lit props; Instead the mother of all lighting rigs. All synced to the track your car is playing.

I've heard that Rock 'N' Roller Coaster is not as good in Pairs because it is just a bunch of lights.

I think the whole black light Hollywood theme is pretty cool.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've heard that Rock 'N' Roller Coaster is not as good in Pairs because it is just a bunch of lights..
:lol: That`s like saying New York City isn`t interesting because it`s just a bunch of buildings...

Here`s a taster of the over 400 lighting units (don`t think disco...think mega rock concert!)

DataFlash A100 strobes
Color Kinetic C-70 & C-200 LEDs
100+ TechnoBeams
35 Studio Spot 250s
30 Studio Color 250s
High End Power Stars and Power Scans
70 AF1000 Dataflashes
4 RGB LED ropes
ETC Source Fours
WDI custom hazing system

All run by 3 Wholehog playback units, and synced to each car (5 different light shows) via SMPTE & MIDI via track sensors. The show took 3 Wholehog II consoles and 8 months to program by Ken Wagner and Jason Killelea of WDI. YouTube has some videos, but obviously they`re nothing to the real thing. MGMs is great; WDSPs is stunning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom