Citrus Dreamin' - Game Thread

MonorailRed

Applebees

vUZkqpy.png

A MonorailRed Presentation

Here is adventure. Here is romance. Here is mystery. Tropical rivers – silently flowing into the unknown. The unbelievable splendor of exotic flowers … the eerie sound of the jungle … with eyes that are always watching. This is Adventureland. ― Walt Disney

Adventureland has long been a mishmash of themes at Magic Kingdom. This thematic confusion stems from Adventureland's shoehorned history. Originally, the theme of Adventureland at Magic Kingdom was designed to evoke the sense of exploration and exotic locales of Polynesia and Africa. Still, various additions over the years have muddled that vision. Too many cooks in the kitchen for the space.

This started with, what I like to call the "Pirate Riots" of the early years—when angry guests protested the absence of Pirates of the Caribbean from the opening day roster—Pirates was hastily added to the end of Adventureland. This marked the beginning of the land's thematic challenges. Further stretching the theme in the early 2000s, the African Bazaar was transformed into the Agrabah Bazaar, and the Enchanted Tiki Room was taken over by Iago and Zazu, adding the Magic Carpets of Aladdin in 2001, as well as sprinkling Pirates Adventure. Finish with the Jungle Cruise restaurant not being located near the Jungle Cruise - and it only compounds the thematic confusion.

Basically, I could just reimage the Jungle Cruise plot - but that large of a plot presents a unique opportunity to rebirth Adventureland, giving it some storyline and creating a more cohesive thematic experience. We're talking Paris style transitions, while keeping the multiple themes.

So, let's go in depth how to fix the identity crisis that is Magic Kingdom's Adventureland:

The New Adventureland Identitity

So, as much as I love the history that Adventureland is based off of the true life adventure series - it doesn't make sense in the Magic Kingdom, as much as it does world wide.

Why For? Animal Kingdom. It's basically a True Life Adventures Park. So we have to pivot a bit to give Adventureland it's own identity.

I propose that Adventureland should focus more on larger-than-life environments of adventure, rather than the mix we have as of current or a docuseries approach. Think more animation and fantastical worlds - less time-period/SEA style.

So, if we go off of fantastical environments - It's pretty easy how to fix Adventureland:

Ocean and Tides - The Adventure of the Waters - Focus on Coastal Towns, Islands, and the High Seas. Water = Adventure.​
Jungles and High Terrain - Focus on lush mysterious landscapes with a looming mountain with additions​
The Desert - Focus on Arabian textures - Relocation of Aladdin themes.​

Tides.png

This not only adds aggressive park capacity but also addresses land shifts in other areas of the park. It seems whatever Beyond Big Thunder is will merge with Big Thunder into it's own land . So, this Adventureland expansion even gives room to merge Tortuga Tavern/Pecos Bill's into a massive restaurant in a small New Orleans Expansion which would better address Tiana's - but that's more of a "Phase 2" sidenote - so let's focus on Phase 1 - Adventureland.

Ye Come Seekin' Salty Old Jungle Cruise Skipper Jokes, Eh?
(Note - For a full art experience, please view on a computer rather than a phone)

But hey! Don't take my word for it - See the reviews!

I absolutely LOVE The Jungle Expedition! I think it (and the rest of this project) is such a much needed addition and expansion to the area I absolutely love it.
Love this! Great work with the three lands, each felt very immersive and put-together. I appreciated the attention going into d-spaces and meet & greets, as well as the larger elements. And it goes without saying your art is incredible!

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No

vUZkqpy.png

Here is adventure. Here is romance. Here is mystery. Tropical rivers – silently flowing into the unknown. The unbelievable splendor of exotic flowers … the eerie sound of the jungle … with eyes that are always watching. This is Adventureland. ― Walt Disney

Adventureland has long been a mishmash of themes at Magic Kingdom. This thematic confusion stems from Adventureland's shoehorned history. Originally, the theme of Adventureland at Magic Kingdom was designed to evoke the sense of exploration and exotic locales of Polynesia and Africa. Still, various additions over the years have muddled that vision. Too many cooks in the kitchen for the space.

This started with, what I like to call the "Pirate Riots" of the early years—when angry guests protested the absence of Pirates of the Caribbean from the opening day roster—Pirates was hastily added to the end of Adventureland. This marked the beginning of the land's thematic challenges. Further stretching the theme in the early 2000s, the African Bazaar was transformed into the Agrabah Bazaar, and the Enchanted Tiki Room was taken over by Iago and Zazu, adding the Magic Carpets of Aladdin in 2001, as well as sprinkling Pirates Adventure. Finish with the Jungle Cruise restaurant not being located near the Jungle Cruise - and it only compounds the thematic confusion.

Basically, I could just reimage the Jungle Cruise plot - but that large of a plot presents a unique opportunity to rebirth Adventureland, giving it some storyline and creating a more cohesive thematic experience. We're talking Paris style transitions, while keeping the multiple themes.

So, let's go in depth how to fix the identity crisis that is Magic Kingdom's Adventureland:

So, as much as I love the history that Adventureland is based off of the true life adventure series - it doesn't make sense in the Magic Kingdom, as much as it does world wide.

Why For? Animal Kingdom. It's basically a True Life Adventures Park. So we have to pivot a bit to give Adventureland it's own identity.

I propose that Adventureland should focus more on larger-than-life environments of adventure, rather than the mix we have as of current or a docuseries approach. Think more animation and fantastical worlds - less time-period/SEA style.

So, if we go off of fantastical environments - It's pretty easy how to fix Adventureland:

Ocean and Tides - The Adventure of the Waters - Focus on Coastal Towns, Islands, and the High Seas. Water = Adventure.​
Jungles and High Terrain - Focus on lush mysterious landscapes with a looming mountain with additions​

Tides.png

This not only adds aggressive park capacity but also addresses land shifts in other areas of the park. It seems whatever Beyond Big Thunder is will merge with Big Thunder into it's own land . So, this Adventureland expansion even gives room to merge Tortuga Tavern/Pecos Bill's into a massive restaurant in a small New Orleans Expansion which would better address Tiana's - but that's more of a "Phase 2" sidenote - so let's focus on Phase 1 - Adventureland.

(Note - For a full art experience, please view on a computer rather than a phone)

Ate and left no crumbs for me ToT 💕

Also, you dropped this 👑

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
For anyone following along here who might be confused, AGP has not disappeared. Their internet went out as they were getting ready to post, but they'll be submitting their own final project as soon as it returns

I'll write reviews up this afternoon when I get home from work. And then tonight will be the finale podcast with Tiki! (Likely at 10 EST, but might try for a bit earlier if possible)

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
This was the view you would see driving down Harbor Boulevard in Anaheim, California back in the 1940s:

4.max-600x600_nnlTJ85.jpg

Here is a picture taken from roughly the same spot in the 1980s:

6ba49a2c102cefb12f6e7e2dbb4c54df-800.jpg

We are all here for the same reason: because we love the art of theme park design! Themed entertainment might not have started there, but Disneyland is where theme parks as we know them began.

And Disneyland itself, began as orange groves

5f9737c244e06.image.jpg

Walt Disney said “I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing…that it was all started by a mouse.” While that may be true for the animation studio (ignoring the cats and rabbits that came first), Disneyland, and by extension every major theme park we know today, was started with just 160 Acres of Orange Trees and one little spark of inspiration.

But instead of Disneyland, let's carry that spirit of imagination AND Vitamin C forward as we travel to the state of Florida... the state where oranges also thrive. Where beauty and magic come together to form Walt Disney World, a place where Disney stories thrive.

Welcome to Citrusland
and other expansions in replacement of Disney's Jungle Cruise Attraction

1717806128077.png

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

vUZkqpy.png

Tides.png

This was the view you would see driving down Harbor Boulevard in Anaheim, California back in the 1940s:

4.max-600x600_nnlTJ85.jpg

Here is a picture taken from roughly the same spot in the 1980s:

6ba49a2c102cefb12f6e7e2dbb4c54df-800.jpg

We are all here for the same reason: because we love the art of theme park design! Themed entertainment might not have started there, but Disneyland is where theme parks as we know them began.

And Disneyland itself, began as orange groves

5f9737c244e06.image.jpg

Walt Disney said “I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing…that it was all started by a mouse.” While that may be true for the animation studio (ignoring the cats and rabbits that came first), Disneyland, and by extension every major theme park we know today, was started with just 160 Acres of Orange Trees and one little spark of inspiration.

But instead of Disneyland, let's carry that spirit of imagination AND Vitamin C forward as we travel to the state of Florida... the state where oranges also thrive. Where beauty and magic come together to form Walt Disney World, a place where Disney stories thrive.

Welcome to Citrusland
and other expansions in replacement of Disney's Jungle Cruise Attraction

View attachment 790167
With that our Final Expedition has come to a close!

Written Reviews are coming soon!
(@Architectural Guinea Pig your written review might be very rushed, but I promise I will have read it fully and thoroughly before the podcast tonight and before making any decisions on a winner. It was obviously quite late, but most of that was technical issues that could not be avoided so while you might be docked a few points I won't hold it against you too much)

Podcast tonight at 10 PM WDW Time (7 PM Disneyland Time) with a live reveal of the winner, OB face reveal, and more!

qdchK7v.png

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
@MonorailRed Final Review
Cw1gAL9.png
  • First Impressions​
    • I love the ambitious scope of this project! You kept your focus on the Jungle cruise plot, but took this chance to revitalize the enter land with it mostly through really subtle, clever changes.​
    • One of the things I find so fun to do when armchair imagineering is to go into problem-solution mode. Identifying a problem I have with the park and tailoring my project towards solving that. You pointed out an issue I had never even really thought about with the theming of Adventureland and solved it beautifully​
    • The Moana ride blends in nicely with the Tiki Room area which is already Polynesian themed. I worry a little bit about whether the tropical jungle and the Agrabah Oasis might feel a bit cramped in that space there. But then again, the Oasis is mostly set apart from the rest of the land based on the map so that helps a lot​
    • Overall a really strong mix new and remixed ideas that would create a land I truly would love to explore!​
  • Retrospective on the Finalist​
    • Before diving into the project itself, I wanted to take a moment to talk about @MonorailRed. Obviously we all know she's an incredible artist blending mediums so well that even her quick photoshops look like hand drawn masterpieces! I love seeing her whimsical style and tone throughout her work. A great mix of professional and fun! Throughout the season, Red has mostly focused on supporting roles. A lot of rounds just doing art or food stands, letting others lead the way and tackle the big stuff. Yet consistently Red has been finding ways to shine even in these smaller moments.​
    • Another big strength with Red that is clearly seen in the finale projects is "remixes" for lack of a better term. Taking older ideas or other concepts and blending them together to create something new and special. Going all the way back to the very first round with the Indiana Jones ride which blended elements of Jungle Cruise, Rise of the Resistance, Temple of the Forbidden Eye, and Cosmic Rewind to make a thrilling new take on the IP. A lot of Red's work doesn't shine because the idea itself is all that creative and unique, Red's work shines by taking a simple idea, building on it, mixing it with other ideas, and pulling it off flawlessly! Not the concept always, but the execution! And that can be seen in spades with this final project. If someone just told me their idea was "Moana ride, Aladdin ride, and a new Jungle Cruise" I would think it sounded sort of boring from an Armchair Imagineering perspective because those are all such grounded/realistic picks for the area. But when I hear Red is doing it I KNOW all of these are going to be full of wonderful touches and creative twists that will make them shine. Because Red does an amazing job with Remixes!​
    • Lastly, its interesting to note with this final 2 that Red is one of the longest running veterans on the forum (possibly the longest running veteran still active?). Red was a respected veteran here when I started in the fall of 2016 nearly 8 years ago! And between the Wix site, the featured reviews, and the more professional tone in the writing this is intentionally a very classic throwback style of presentation playing up that veteran status. Meanwhile, AGP is both one of the youngest (possibly the youngest) and one of the newest players in this game. Its a really interesting match up between old school and new school!​
  • Presentation​
    • Obviously there is a reason Google Sites (and Google stuff in general) has become the standard. Its WAY easier to use and WAY easier to edit collaboratively. But there's no denying that Wix Sites 100% do look better. There's a lot of extra effort that needs to go into them and some formatting errors here and there, but overall a Wix Site is still possibly the best way possible to stylishly present a land in an easy to read format​
    • Art! So much art! Amazing art! I don't want to seem like I'm breezing past the art but I am not an art critic so there's not much I can super say about it other than "WOW!" But I will specifically compliment the use of colors and warm tones. There's a strong palette here that really sells the Adventureland vibes​
    • The map is great too! The visuals on it are so strong that you don't even really need the numbers to know where everything is!​
  • Wanderer's Way​
    • I love this as a nice update to the land's entrance. Not much going on here and not a ton of focus given (which is good because the focus was meant to be on the Jungle Cruise crater which it is), but some good subtle changes that help with your goals of fixing the land's thematic issues.​
  • Polynesian Bazzar​
    • LOVE the updates to this area making it a cohesive Polynesian Coutryard instead of the weird mishmash it currently is. Lilo & Stitch meet and greet is perfect, Orange Bird themed D Zone/Dole Whip dining area is great, and the Moana ride looming overhead is a perfect icon for the land!​
  • Moana's Voyage​
    • I'm gonna quickly start with the negatives to get it our of the way: too much talking and too much going on for a drop tower. A lot of starting and stopping to see a full scene before starting again just to quickly stop again to see another full scene. Cut a god chunk of the dialogue and make each "scene" just a fleeting moment catching a glimpse of the battle and you've got a masterpiece here because a Moana drop tower is so brilliant and so unexpected that I really love it!​
    • The decision to focus it around Shiny/Realm of Monsters was a great one. Keeping the scope small and making a great adaptation of the one scene!​
    • The dialogue, while I think there was too much of it, was fantastic and captured the characters well! And while I did say the scenes went on too long, it should also be noted that they are all fun and there's a good rising action here!​
  • Jungle Cruise: Oddyssey!​
    • This is a perfect new take on Jungle Cruise! It has some real "If it ain't broke don't fix it" energy keeping many of the classic bits and showscenes but compressing it all together a bit. Cutting out some fluff and focusing on the strongest stuff. The biggest change here is the volcano replacing the temple which would make for a very fun show scene!​
    • I do wish there was one or two more brand new scenes to replace some of the older ones you brought back just for the sake of new stuff being more interesting in a game like this. But also final projects are meant to be self indulgent so I don't mind a sort of greatest hits album lol​
  • Jungle Expedition​
    • I thiiink this was supposed to be before Jungle Cruise since this is the sub-land description, but it still works in this order lol​
    • Tale Spin music? instant win!​
    • The Skipper Training Camp would be a great addition! Magic could really use a playground like this! A great place for kids to blow off some steam while parents rest, but also special enough to not feel like you're wasting your time at just a simple playground during your disney trip​
    • Talespin Treats Terminal is a really fun snack stand that might be a bit of a deep cut reference, but Jungle Book characters are iconic enough that even people with no knowledge of Disney Channel's greatest tv series ever would still be able to enjoy the stand. Plus, Talespin fits in so well next to Jungle cruise that I'm shocked I never thought to do this myself!​
    • A "make your own trail mix" stand is an incredibly fun idea!​
  • Agrabah: The Desert Oasis​
    • I'm always skeptical throwing Aladdin into the mix with Adventureland because while tonally he fits so well, the desert is such a specific environment that it really is tough to blend it with the tropical jungles of Adventureland. But the way you sort of separated it off a bit was really smart!​
    • The Sultan's Palace as a new hyper immersive TSR would be really fun! I'm not sure the interior of the palace is iconic enough to be a true rival for Be Our Guest (the ballroom from BatB is one of the most iconic locations in any Disney movie ever), but on its own merits this is an incredibly strong dining option and a really fun place to explore while dining!​
    • I love the little realistic touch of keeping the carousel compact to conserve space. Stacking it vertically a bit would add a really fun/dynamic element that justifies adding a second carousel to magic while being a smart way to conserve space!​
  • Aladdin's High Flying Adventure​
    • "Or as Genie likes to say... [Spanish safety spiel]" is one of the funniest things to ever be in a Disney park and I'm really glad it survived lol​
    • This ride does sadly feel sliiightly rushed. There's not even an intro saying what kind of ride it is lol. But from context clues I gather its a simple suspended dark ride like Peter Pan. A very classic style of attraction, but one you don't see utilized outside of Fantasyland very often. It's a great way to round out the line up here!​
    • The Showroom 2 scene flying over the miniatures is fantastic!​
    • The ride has great pacing going from the fun, extravagant whimsy of the Genie, to the wonders of flying on the magic carpet high in the sky, to the excitement of a battle with Jafar, and ending with the romance of Whole New World. It's a book report, but it keeps the focus on an emotional journey rather than a plot heavy journey.​
  • In conclusion​
    • A very strong end to a very strong season! But will it be enough to take home the grand prize? Time will tell. Until then... Live, Laugh, Orange​

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
  • First Impressions
    • I really love the bold direction you took with this! Creating something totally new and unique unlike anything else I've ever seen before while also tying in a ton of fun in jokes and references to the game (some might call it sliiiightly pandering, but I call it a fun homage lol).
    • Adding in the detail that Storybook Circus was also bombed seems more like a personal grudge than needed (MK could have two kid areas!), but I always support fun goofy gags like that in projects
    • The expansions to Main Street and Adventureland do a lot for both of them from a practical perspective!
    • I love the focus on natural elements which makes this "oversized stuff" land feel very unique compared to the usual (and also very cool) take on this concept that uses a lot of giant object. Making it all natural was a great call!
  • Retrospective on the Finalist
    • AGP has only played two games now (if I'm not mistaken). This and Manor of Mysteries. They are still very much a newcomer, but have quickly established themselves as an absolute power house! They remind me a lot of @spacemt354 and @AceAstro with their very well rounded and professional style. Often working well as a natural leader helping out their team with many rounds ending with Space and AGP tag teaming pulling it all together. They might be new, but AGP is definitely someone to watch!
    • It should also be noted that while Red might be a legendary artist, AGP is no slouch either with a really great eye for visuals. Not the same overwhelmingly awe inspiring amount of art, but AGP's art is still amazing! Their maps are some of the best I've seen finding a great balance between realistic, visually pleasing, and easy to read. They know how to make presentations sing and what little touches can be added to elevate things!
    • It's a very interesting final 2, because it really does come down to an incredibly well established veteran working with incredible new takes on classic ideas VS a relative newcomer with some very fresh energy and wild concepts. This is the kind of final 2 that if I wasn't the host I would be accusing the host of manipulating the game to get because it is such a fascinating dynamic!
  • Presentation
    • As mentioned, absolutely amazing map! Amazing website! That artwork showcasing the whole land is great! Your sense of colors is fantastic! Tying the final project into the game's intro post was a brilliant touch bringing the season full circle. Excellent all around visually! The little quotes in the website was a particularly great touch to break up the pacing.
  • Citrus Square
    • Main Street really could use some better crowd flow and this side street would be a great way to do it. I love the ties to historic Americana with the live jazz band, dance hall, real orange groves, etc. Its small and fits as an extension to Main Street while adding an entirely new dynamic to the land!
  • Citrusland
    • Again, very very cute idea! The picture you painted really captures the feeling of the land. There's some nice kinetic touches, fun set pieces, good iconic structures. Its fantastic!
    • The swings would be such a fun addition and I love that style of flat ride. Could add a lot to Magic to diversify the line up and add energy to the land. Plus, it would just be fun considering its a type of ride WDW doesn't have!
    • A Bug's Adventure sounds simple yet really cute and immersive. But the choose your own adventure tech (which definitely does seem doable) adds a new layer to an otherwise simple dark ride with the outdoor section really elevating it even further! Though the big Orange Bird at the end of the Bug's Life ride potentially felt a bit out of place. Overall I feel like this project was the perfect amount of in jokey, but OB's cameo in the climax for a ride based on Bug's Life seemed maybe one step too far. But not enough to ruin the ride just slightly distracting
    • The citrus labs are really fun! My instinct is to say that it feels a bit too "EPCOT-y" if that makes sense, but you do keep the focus on the whimsy, fun, and characters. It's not exactly a dark ride or a walk through but a fun blend of the two. I'd really love this!
    • Smellobees on Parade!
  • Adventureland changes
    • This part is more of a cliff note than a focus, but I find it really funny that you replaced Magic Carpets (a ride that already is really too big for the space) with an even bigger flat ride lol
    • The expanded Pirates is really cool! I love adding an outdoor section! I'll dock a couple points (which is of course a figure of speech as there are no points lol) for realism turning a fully indoor ride/queue into an outdoor ride/queue in Florida making it so that the ride will go down for rain every single day all summer lol. But worth it for the very cool and very unique new addition here!
  • Conclusion
    • Really loved it! Such an incredibly creative concept unlike anything I've ever seen before! Ya'll really made this a tough decision!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Thank you so much for an amazing Adventure!

I gave you the Orange Grove, but you all were the ones who made it into something special! Without all of you, this game wouldn't have been anywhere near as fun as it has been.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for dreaming citrus dreams with me

And now, without further ado, the winner of Citrus Dreamin' is...

@Architectural Guinea Pig
You played a fantastic game all season and had an amazingly creative, outside the box final project!

Congratulations!

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
@Architectural Guinea Pig
You played a fantastic game all season and had an amazingly creative, outside the box final project!

Congratulations!
Awww thank youuuu ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

And especially thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make this game happen, from the judges to my fellow explorers, thank you :D

AGP has only played two games now (if I'm not mistaken). This and Manor of Mysteries.
and What If haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom