Citrus Dreamin' - Game Thread

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Attention Adventurers

I come to you with good news and bad news

Unfortunately, @PerGron has had some unexpected problems to take care of (piranhas have gotten into his boat
[Citation Needed]) and must step away from the competition

Also, @AceAstro has sadly decided to step down as a Guest Judge.

Fortunately though, @AceAstro has stepped down as a Guest Judge to take over PerGron's spot in the Final 8

Lord Fozzinator

In the Parks
No
Attention Adventurers

Unfortunately, @PerGron has had some unexpected problems to take care of (piranhas have gotten into his boat [Citation Needed]) and must step away from the competition

Fortunately though, @AceAstro has stepped down as a Guest Judge to take over PerGron's spot in the Final 8
This round is getting weirder and more confusing the farther we get into it.

Lizzy May Bee

Attention Adventurers

Unfortunately, @PerGron has had some unexpected problems to take care of (piranhas have gotten into his boat [Citation Needed]) and must step away from the competition

Year of AceAstro for real

AceAstro

Attention Adventurers

Me returning 3 days after being eliminated (now in two different competitions)

1716261885111.png

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
The Finalists
@AceAstro | @Architectural Guinea Pig | @JokersWild | @Lord Fozzinator | @MonorailRed | @Outbound | @spacemt354 | @WaltWiz1901

Ever since the opening of DCA more than 20 years ago, the Disneyland Resort has experienced little changes due to its restricted “zones” and its focus on improving its existing elements. However, with the approval of DisneylandForward, an ambitious project dedicated to giving the original Magic Kingdom a growth spurt, Disney is ready to put in the detail and money for an entirely new experience on its west side, replacing its parking lots.

This is the birth of two new sibling parks, which are so opposite and so similar - simultaneously. One emphasizes stories, the other music- but what ties them together is a love for art, a love for detail and creativity, the simple magic of the Disney Way...

So for one final time to most of us players here at Citrus Dreamin', and to all who come to this happy place,

Welcome.

1716787275988.png
DISNEY'S SYMPHOREST - A boutique park singing the beauty of the rich music around us, and its relation with nature

DISNEY'S FANTASEA - A waterpark filled with the imagination and stories of the Disney Company, and the memories of the sea

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
The Finalists
@AceAstro | @Architectural Guinea Pig | @JokersWild | @Lord Fozzinator | @MonorailRed | @Outbound | @spacemt354 | @WaltWiz1901

Ever since the opening of DCA more than 20 years ago, the Disneyland Resort has experienced little changes due to its restricted “zones” and its focus on improving its existing elements. However, with the approval of DisneylandForward, an ambitious project dedicated to giving the original Magic Kingdom a growth spurt, Disney is ready to put in the detail and money for an entirely new experience on its west side, replacing its parking lots.

This is the birth of two new sibling parks, which are so opposite and so similar - simultaneously. One emphasizes stories, the other music- but what ties them together is a love for art, a love for detail and creativity, the simple magic of the Disney Way...

So for one final time to most of us players here at Citrus Dreamin', and to all who come to this happy place,

Welcome.

View attachment 787779
DISNEY'S SYMPHOREST - A boutique park singing the beauty of the rich music around us, and its relation with nature

DISNEY'S FANTASEA - A waterpark filled with the imagination and stories of the Disney Company, and the memories of the sea
Well done, Adventurers!

Amazing work as always and I'm excited to dive on in!

Expect written reviews this afternoon and a Recap podcast with Tiki tonight at 9 PM EST with the live reveal of the Final 3 (with the results posted here along with the final Expedition right after of course)

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Disney's Symphorest Reviews
gEcUjb2.png

Obviously its all one project that works best as one big group project, but for the sake of not making one giant post that clogs up the site and starts glitching, I'm gonna divide the reviews into two posts just like how the project is divided into two docs. If you see any typos at all in my reviews, its because of site glitches and no other reasons obviously :p
  • First Impressions
    • I love the music theme! It's something that I've seen discussed before a lot, but its never quite come together as much more than a general idea. But this park feel tangible and fully developed. It doesn't feel like a concept, it feels like a place!
    • I was a bit unclear on what a "boutique" park meant and I do still feel like more could've been done to create an experience that could only be done in a park with a lower max attendance. I used Discovery Cove as a real life example of a boutique park and suggested focusing less on traditional attractions and more on experiences, escape rooms, activities, etc. A boutique park isn't something that comes up often, take advantage of it! But that being said, while this may be more of a small theme park instead of a unique experience, it is still very very cool!
    • I love the self indulgent nature of this! There's a lot of ideas/lands suggested that might have been more realistic or more exciting to the average guest, but the team lead with what they were interested in and that was a great call imo leading to some really creative lands/attractions! With the concept of a world "made of music" tying it all together nicely making it feel like a cohesive park!
  • Team Dynamic
    • @JokersWild did a great job taking the lead on this one! Found a great balance of taking charge and being one of the driving voices without ever talking over or excluding people. There was a point I was worried this was becoming a "Jokers" park but any fears of that quickly faded away and nearly every team member contributed their voices here making it feel like a real great collaboration
    • @MonorailRed was another big voice driving this park! Red's more whimsical/abstract/visual concepts mixed with Jokers more high concept ideas to create something truly special! With @spacemt354 coming in with a very grounded/practical map design to tie it all together with a sense of realism!
    • @AceAstro was a great support player too as a late entry to the Final 8. He saw what was still needed and supported the team's vision excellently while adding his own touches too!
    • @WaltWiz1901 and @Outbound might not have been driving forces here, but they both did a great job finding attractions they're passionate about and that they can put unique spins on. These fit fantastically and expand the themes of the park in fun ways!
  • Presentation
    • I'm not gonna praise the Google Doc I set up myself lol. @Architectural Guinea Pig is right that a Site would be nicer for something of this size, but Docs gave everyone the chance to edit it and freed up more time to focus on the park rather than how its presented which hopefully helped
    • The map by @spacemt354 did a great job making this feel like a real place. He has an eye for practicality that is almost unmatched. A great way to balance the more abstract ideas of the park. Also, your music is great! I adored the guitar samples from you and appreciate that even after all the time you've spent on the forum you are STILL finding new ways to grow and try new creative things!
    • @MonorailRed AMAZING artwork as always! You really outdid yourself here and with fantaSea! Your artwork has this "emotions over realism" vibe that compliments the park really well. Sometimes it is an accurate representation, but generally the strength of your art is in how it communicates what it would feel like to look at the park more than what the park looks like. Its a tricky thing to do, but an amazing strength! Also, incredibly well done logos!
    • @JokersWild you did a great job with the parks main theme song! It perfectly captures the feeling of an enchanting adventure full of wonders, dangers, excitement, and fun around every corner!
  • Overture - @JokersWild
    • I really love the slow build of this entry land. You compared it to DAK's entry land iirc and that comparison is very apt. The slow transition from reality into the park. The building music (as shown with your theme song which doesn't just sound good but also adds to the land's write up) as more fantastical shapes appear and the forest overtakes guests. Its a great way to begin the journey!
    • I would've liked one or two more practical notes. what do the turnstyles look like? What does guest relations/stroller rentals look like in the middle of this forest? Its a minor nitpick, but I would've like to see the entry land mention some of the things an entry land needs.
  • Symphorest Grove
  • SG Area Description - @JokersWild / @MonorailRed
    • The Bogpipes picture is adorable (Jokers?)
    • I love the interactive and exploratory nature of the land. It feels so engaging and inviting blurring the line between hub and walkthrough attraction beautifully. I love the little exhibits like Windwood Tress and the rock garden. The heartbeat in the ground. Its beautiful! The park's thesis statement is communicated here so well and so naturally that no words are needed. a perfect example of "show don't tell" storytelling in the theme park space. All while being just plain fun. It never feels stuffy or like "art made for artists" if that makes sense. Theme Park superfan snobs an little kids who don't know anything yet are both going to enjoy and appreciate this hub!
  • Fantasia: A Spellbound Journey - @MonorailRed
    • I love how you tied this to the park's theme/story! This feels uniquely Symphorest in way where it could never be cloned anywhere else. Which helps it to stand out considering how many Fantasia dark rides there've been on the forum. It's not easy to make one that feels unique at this point, yet you did it! The music sheets framing device is a great way to tie the disparate scenes together too making it feel like a cohesive story and not just a series of showscenes!
    • My one real criticism is that I would've liked a bit more about how things are done from a practical standpoint. How much of it is practical effects, animatronics, projections, etc. There's not even much of a mention of ride system (its a boat, but are we talking Pirates or more modern and intimate like Navi river Journey or a more controlled path like Shanghai Pirates?) I get the experience of the ride (and it it a GREAT experience) but there's not much detail to make it feel real. Not that I need a detailed rundown of the mechanics of every single scene, but one or two bits where you go "and this part is projection mapped" or "this room is full of simple singing figures like Small World" can add a lot. I'm picturing very projection heavy mixed with sets along the lines of a more detailed Runaway Railway (without the big open empty rooms needed for an LPS trackless ride)
    • That being said, these scenes are great! I particularly like Firebird Suite transitioning into Pastoral Symphony but all of them are absolutely fantastic! With incredible artwork to really sell it too
  • All About Jazz - @Outbound
    • Might be my favorite attraction here and that is TOUGH competition! But the mix of educational and experiential is incredible. I love the abstract visuals and the mix of Epcot style history lessons with Magic Kingdom style whimsy and magic. Its a great blend of tones that works so well and creates such a unique ride tailor made for Symphorest's themes and ideas!
    • I also really love the more grounded ride system. A spinning bus bar and relatively simple effects. Not much here that couldn't have been done back in the 70s just taken up to 11 and used in really cool/creative ways! The "band" idea was a really interesting idea and I love the idea of the different cars getting "solos" and all working together! The writing also has a very strong blend of grounded imagineering and the more experiential ideas!
    • There is one really shocking omission here with the most influential piece of jazz music ever made (the theme song for Cowboy Bepop) missing entirely, but aside from that this ride is some of your best work ever Outbound!
  • Symphorest Schoolhouse - @WaltWiz1901
    • I love how well this fits into symphorest Grove! I was a little worried this would feel out of place, but the stylistic take here fits perfectly alongside the rest of the Grove while adding a new "toony" dynamic to help round it out. Adding in some classic Disney, but because it fits so well not because you're trying to shoehorn in IP.
    • I do almost wish this was a ride, both because the Grove is already full of areas to walk through and interactive elements AND because I like the schoolhouse and want more. Its cool! I love all the little details here and it works really well in the land! If my only complaint with something is that I want more of it that is a good sign lol
  • Tea Garden - @Outbound
    • I just love that of all things, this tiny tea garden is what passed through the most hands. I originally said I could do it since no one had claimed it, figured I could take some "filler" stuff to take some stress off of ya'll. But then Ace signed up for it and wanted to take it one. THEN something came up and Jokers took it up. THEN something came up so Outbound took it. It took 4 different people to get this simple food stand built lol
    • That being said, the final product is very nice and does a great job at not feeling like "filler" or thrown together last minute. It sounds like a lovely escape and a very nice quiet spot to escape all the music in the Grove and rest for a bit while enjoying a drink or a snack
  • That Soul Club - @Outbound
    • The capiton on the photo about the ducks is so fun and clever!
    • I love a good restaurant with live music and Disney does that so rarely in their parks. This is a perfect addition to the line up and a great main dining option for the park! I love the inclusion of Soul but without just taking the easy way out and recreating the Half Note Lounge from the film. This is its own place that stands on its own and the IP is just a good way to add a bit of fun to it!
  • Symphonia - @AceAstro
    • Puppets! Including puppets in your project when I'm the judge is essentially the same as giving me 20 bucks as a bribe lol
    • This is a really great spiritual successor to Fantasmic/World of Color while still having its own identity and its own voice enough that it can stand on its own despite being within walking distance of both those other shows
    • Again, love the inclusion of the puppets giving this a live element alongside the fountains, lights, and other effects. A really great blend of elements and a really great soudntrack! Love the mix of iconic songs like When you wish upon a star and more deep cuts like Thats How you Know! Perfect show to cap off a day at this wonderful park!
  • Pepperland
  • Area Description - @JokersWild
    • Love the bright, colorful land as a great balance to the very natural hub. This is a great spot for the designers to go crazy with the visuals. The giant "words" are a particularly fun touch
  • Yellow Submarine adventure - @JokersWild
    • Confession time: I'm a lifelong Beatles fan and have listened to probably every album (most on vinyl) repeatedly for years. Never seen Yellow Submarine. Been on my list for years, but never got around to it. I assume this is more or less a book report by the looks of it? I would generally say that focusing on one specific sequence or environment to explore/bring to life would be better for a dark ride rather than the whole movie as this can feel kind of scattered and all over the place. BUT scattered, weird, all over the place, and nonsensical kind of works here. It fits. Nothing makes sense or flows well but in this case... it just kind of works! There's a ton of points that is this was any other ride would be negatives, but here they all feel like positives! With the simple plot of fighting the blue meanies as enough of a story to tie it all together
    • I love the little bits of interactivity there just for fun not for competition. I want to see more interactive dark rides that are subtle like this and not just high score shooters. The Sea of Nothing also feels like a particularly fun scene that would make for a really unique visual. All of it is a blast though and clearly a passion project!
  • Lonely Hearts Club - @spacemt354
    • I think this is the show that Space is credited for, but this could also be a restaurant by
      Jokers. But then again the reference to Biergarten makes me suspect it is by Space :p
    • More live music in the music park is definitely a good thing and adds a lot to the experience. The menu sounds simple yet crowd pleasing (who doesn't love fish & chips!). the show is restrained by Beatles standards but I think that works well here. Nice, simple, scaled back. A cover band in fun costumes is all you need (aside from love of course). Really strong addition!
  • Synth City
    • I know there was concerns about how well this would fit with the park's natural hub. the intro does a good job addressing those concerns, but honestly I was never worried. A bit of variety is good and the sci-fi city here is so over the top that it feels as magical as the phorest does. Not to mention how it continues the trend of music being everywhere and in everything. Little details like the robot shopkeeper add a lot of life here and I love how it feels set apart from the rest of the park like a hidden treasure to find!
  • Daft Punk Synth Coaster - @AceAstro
    • I know changing it to a coaster was a last minute switch the accommodate AGP's attraction concept being added in which was similar in nature, but honestly I think it works so perfectly as a coaster that if I didn't know that I would be shocked to learn. This ride is a blast!
    • I love the lobby system of queue design like Jimmy Fallon and I'm honestly shocked we haven't started to see it used more often. The "design a concert" gimmick while waiting is a lot of fun too! It borrows pretty heavily from Test Track, but with an actual pay off at the end to make it worthwile!
    • It also of course borrows a lot from Rockin Rollercoaster with it essentially being a Daft Punk version of that in many ways, but theres enough twists on the formula and ride system to make it feel unique and special despite the similarities! Especially since this is on an entirely different side of the country than Rockin lol. Daft Punk's music lends itself so well to a ride that this really feels like a no brainer and a perfect fit!
    • I have mixed feelings about the queue and if it maybe goes too far (especially the Hall of Silence). But overall I really enjoy the concept and think the look at the past leading up to the showcase of the "future" is really fascinating! I do think it might have worked better as a stand alone walktrhough though (especially since it is basically that anyways since a flat ride is unlikely to have a crazy long line)
    • That being said, the projection effects add a lot and it would be a very cool flat! Love good evolution on flat ride design. I'm already feeling sick just thinking about it but it definitely sounds very fun!
  • End of Line Club - @spacemt354
    • Tron Legacy came out in 2010 which means I've been wanting to visit the End of Line Club for nearly 14 full years now!
    • I appreciate that you didn't overcomplicate this. Its a simple concept and you kept it simple. I look forward to ordering the Sea of Simulation and snacking on it while drinking my Light Cycle!
  • Take on MErchandise - @JokersWild
    • It's not credited, but come one that's definitely a Jokers gag lol

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
FantaSea (+Misc stuff) Reviews
a2cmhCC.png

• First Impressions
    • I know there was some issues getting the concept off the ground. There was the desire for a Fantasy Springs style IP mash up and that was clear early on. But what IPs to use and exactly how to tie them together was up in the air for a long time pretty much right up until the end. Despite these issues, the final product turned out amazing!
    • I'm usually not big into single IP immersive lands (they can be fun, but usually I prefer original environments), but for a water park this is something Disney has never done (neither has Universal for that matter) which makes this approach which might otherwise feel like a cop out feel fresh and new!
    • It helps that the IPs chosen have great environments to explore and play around in which is exactly what you want from a water park! Plus, they blend nicely each with their own fantastical takes on tropical jungle environments
    • That being said, I do wish there was a bit more of a connection or theme or story that ties it all together. There's the loose thematic tie of "stories all around" which serves as a nice compliment to the "music all around" theme of Symphorest, but with Symphorest that runs through everything and the park feels built from that idea, but here it feels more like just an excuse to mash up IPs. I even mentioned this during brainstorming that the theme seems too loose. Space did as well suggesting a few ideas for ways to tie it together more. But the final park really doesn't have its own theme just three immersive IP lands centered around a mountain. Though these are incredibly impressive lands and a great layout. Plus, even if there was more of a theme/story it would still exist mostly as an excuse for the IPs anyways
  • Team Dynamic
    • The team dynamic on this side was a bit weird. @Architectural Guinea Pig was definitely the leader here and for the first several days the main voice aside from some brainstorming help bouncing around ideas with me and @MonorailRed. But the bulk of the early development came from AGP to the point where I was briefly worried the whole park would be written by AGP alone with some art by Red lol
    • Then @spacemt354 finished up his busy work week and took an interest in this park. Pointing out some issues with the current idea back then and proposing some ideas of his own. All season Space and AGP have been a fantastic duo who work amazingly well together usually, but they just weren't clicking here it seems.
    • There's a phrase in creative lines of work that goes "don't fall in love with your pitches" which basically means that until things are greenlit and in active development that you need to be ready to let go of things. I think @Architectural Guinea Pig fell in love with his version of the water park and by the time @spacemt354 and @WaltWiz1901 came on board to actively help with development AGP had trouble letting go of some elements even writing detailed line ups for the other player's sections before they had a chance to and drawing a map of areas before the person who signed up to write the area had done anything yet.
    • This hasn't been a consistent issue with @Architectural Guinea Pig, they've been pretty regularly a good teammate and a level headed leader. But AGP I want to just give you the advise to be careful when working in teams to be a bit more flexible. You're building something together and sometimes that means listening a bit closer to teammates concerns and waiting for them. We've all been there and we've all had times getting caught up in the moment taking over a project a bit, just something to be careful of.
    • @WaltWiz1901 I also want to give you the advise to be a bit more assertive. You've got fantastic ideas, but you tend to not stick up for them. You've got a ton of talent! You just need a bit more confidence when working in teams and you'll go very far in this forum! But you tend to just kind of fade into the background rather than taking the lead yourself to stand out!
  • Presentation
    • The map by @Architectural Guinea Pig is fantastic! I love the bright vibrant colors and the fun artstyle! It does a great job communicating the layout while still looking like a fun work of art! I would've loved a version of the map with the slides/attractions marked on it though so it can be a bit easier to follow, but also it still is very beautiful!
    • @MonorailRed your art is again fantastic! I think the Neverland Wave Pool drawing might be one of your best all season (though the Symphorest Grove artwork gives it a real run for its money!)
  • Neverland - @Architectural Guinea Pig (with some additional ideas by @WaltWiz1901)
    • The use of a new London Square on the edge of DTD to enter before a quick transition into Neverland is a lot of fun. While an original entrance or something less Peter Pan specific might have been nice to establish more of a unique theme, if you're gonna go with a simple IP mash up then Neverland is the perfect choice for the entrance! Chronicle Mountain, the Jolly Roger, Skull Rock, Neverland makes for a fantastic big "WOW" moment to start your day and immediately be immersed in the fantastical environments of the park!
    • Skull Rock Slope is a fun setting for a slide. I'm not sure the park needed 3 trap door slides and this might have been better as a different body slide (perhaps a "drop slide" as Volcano Bay calls it where its a regular body slide but you end it with a short ramp so you "drop" into the pool below from a couple feet up. This is Neverland guests should try to fly!)
    • I really love the idea of using Mermaid Lagoon for the Wave Pool (with Skull Rock and the Jolly Roger on the horizon of course). The idea of the mermaids overlooking as the guests bob around is very fun.
    • I think that Pixie Hollow as the toddler area and the Treefort as the older kids area is a fun idea!
    • I like that Neverland is kept simple focusing more on play areas and the wave pool without much in the way of slides. A nice relaxed entry area with the slides serving as a way to draw guests deeper in
  • Jolly Roger Refreshments/Tinkers Treats - @MonorailRed
    • We had discussed Neverland and its proximity to the Disneyland Hotel serving as a fun homage to the old pool, but the Jolly Roger Refreshments is itself another nostalgic callback to classic Disneyland and a really fun addition! You've got a real talent for realistic menus. I want a Neverland Nautical Nachos (hold the Jalapenos) and a Jolly Roger Rum Punch, please!
    • Tinker's Treats is a really cute idea for the ice cream stand too. Lots of fun, adorable, great for the hot days at a water park. Love it! Including some specialty non-alcoholic drinks here too was a very nice touch
  • Kuzcotopia - @spacemt354
    • Honestly Emperor's New Groove is a perfect fit for a water park. It has a breezy, fun tone that lends itself well to a place where the goal is just to play. Nearly every major sequence involves water in some way. "Pull the Lever!" being what everyone who has ever done a trap door slide thinks of when they do it. It's a great fit and yet one that I don't think I would have even realized works so well if you didn't do it!
    • Love the mini-map by Space! It might not be the most detailed or stylized, but it does a lot to make it all very clear and easy to see how everything fits together. Plus, I love seeing that personal touch!
    • Wrong Lever is just perfect. No notes. It might be the "obvious" idea here but its "obvious" for a reason. It's perfect lol
    • Right Lever is a very good companion though and a fun tube slide addition
    • Pacha's Plunge with its scenic views is a fun addition too. The racing theme is great for the playful yet slightly edgy (by disney standards) vibe that ENG gives off! And the Kuzco's Kiddie Slides makes a nice small scale compliment as well as a fun kids offering on the opposite end of the park from the kid's area.
    • Kronk's Scout Troop is a really great idea! So much of the appeal of a water park is wandering around, exploring, and playing in the park so having a scavenger hunt to encourage that is an excellent idea!
  • Mudka's Meat Hut - @MonorailRed
    • A great main "real food" dining option. I never thought I'd say this, but the Meat Mug sounds amazing lol. The souvenir llama potion drink cup is a perfect collectible. Overall a very fun dining option!
  • Motonui - @Architectural Guinea Pig
    • Usually I'd love blending in other IPs to create a more diverse landscape, but given the super immersive single IP lands that make the rest of the park and how this land is specifically Motonui and not just a Polynesian Island, it feels kind of off to add in Lilo & Stitch and especially to have the icon be the volcano from Lava. As much as I love Lava and usually prefer multiple IPs in one land, I think just focusing on Moana would've been better here with Te Fiti as the icon for the section. Little details like just the store or the Stitch M&G work, but when you start adding them to the skyline I think that might be a step too far for this land
    • That being said I like the focus more on action slides and interactive elements here. Each land kind of has its own focus which adds some nice diversity to the park. Incorporating some of the interactive water features from Journey of Water was a super clever inclusion
    • With Te Ka Plunge I have the same thought as I did with Skull Rock that 3 trap door slides seems unnecessary. Especially for a slide with a pre-show like this. That's a really cool element to add some more storytelling and "theme park" stuff to the slide! But since trap door slides are so scary and niche it locks a lot of people out of seeing it. Perhaps this could've been a more intense family raft like Miss Adventure Falls at Typhoon? Or even one with a toilet bowl or half pipe like Volcano Bay and Aquatica has? I mentioned how Aquatica now has a toilet bowl slide that feature projections maybe that could've been used here allowing you to do the pre-show on ride instead of in queue? It's a really cool idea! But when there's only about 9 slides, 3 of them being trap doors feel excessive
    • Quest for Te Fiti as a water coaster with elaborate theme park level theming is great though! A perfect evolution of the small bits Disney has started to try with this (like having an animatronic for Miss Adventure Falls). This would be a water slide that only Disney could build! Perhaps a bit too over the top and a simpler approach focused on one scene would've been better (only so much you can see speeding by in a water slide with water splashing in your face the whole time), but I LOVE the ambition here!
    • The Maui welcome show is another fun addition and a good way to cool off with a smaller attraction. Plus, a nice way to appeal to kids too young for the big Moana slides
    • The indoor caverns are a fun touch to escape from the weather. I like the clear tube slide going through the glowy environment too. Thats a really fun touch! Maybe a bit too much going on here for just being one part of a water park, but its all great stuff!
  • Isles of Tahiti Resort - @spacemt354
    • I'm gonna be up front and say I've never been a big hotel guy. I definitely appreciate them ( and the Polynesian is, if not my favorite, in my top 3), but hotel projects are my kryptonite lol. That being said if it feels like I don't have much to say please do not take it as a sleight or take it as a criticism. This is incredible! I'm just not good at discussing hotels and also this is about Page 135 that I've reviewed today lol
    • I love the way it ties into the water park without just being "The Moana Hotel" its very nice seeing it stand alone as an original concept while still fitting like a glove as a part of the park.
    • The artwork is great! i know it was a bit more rushed than you intended, but your skills at scenic/environment design shines even in just quick sketches!
    • I also very much appreciate that this isn't just the Polynesian but on the west coast. It has its own identity even if (like the Grand Californian to Wilderness Lodge) it shares a lot of similarities.
    • I love the small details. The way your writing engages all of my senses taking us through the sites, sounds, and even smells that make up the lobby. It some truly great writing that truly transports the reader!
    • I also really like that while the family suites are Moana themed, the other rooms simply follow the hotel's themes giving it a distinct feeling. Even if, again, this is a very heavily Moana influenced hotel
    • I love indoor spaces themed to the outdoors! So, Wayfinders with its fine dining under the stars is a fantastic addition. The character dining is fantastic and a lot of good food (love some banana bread!). HeiHei Hideaway is a fun small QSR to round it out
    • The pool area is simple, yet still well themed. I'm glad the pool wasn't an after thought even though the water park is right there. A good hotel deserves a good pool even if it is connected to a water park and you delivered on that
  • DTD Revamp - @spacemt354
    • There's a lot of questions about the practicalities of Disneyland Forward. Multiple people asked me about parking when I did a first map helping space things out, but in my defense the actual plans IRL include no access roads or space for parking so I'm not sure Disney has thought that through either. Point it, the Disneyland Forward team could use someone with a talent for this kind of practical stuff like you, Space!
    • All your tweaks and changes sound perfect! From new bus loops, to subtle theming, to the drive in theater... This sounds like an amazing evolution for DTD rather than just an excuse for more theme park space. Plus, an amazing Map as always!
    • Love a good fountain. Always a huge fountain fan. Puppets and Fountains are the two quickest ways to my heart
  • Club Muppets - @Lord Fozzinator
    • This was a great passion project to end the season on, but the artist formerly known as Muppets Fan! A mini-golf course with some Muppet touches is a great way to round out the line up of the Forward expansion and to make good use of the awkward left over space. Plus, it was great to see you go crazy with the Muppets, Fozz!
    • I really like the thought behind the swamp setting so it can blend in well visually with the Overture of Symphorest next door. Really smart touch that showcases your talent for realistic area design
    • I love the Muppets museum entry area. That's a very fun detail and a nice walkthrough to enhance the experience before getting started
    • The pre-show is very fun with some great Muppets dialogue! You're a great writer!
    • Thank you for specifying that the gators aren't real :p
    • The course really is great! Full of fun gags that make great use of the characters to do cool and distinct things. This would be a super fun mini-golf course to play around! Especially a fan of the cannon gag on one of the last hole! Love it!

Lord Fozzinator

In the Parks
No
  • Club Muppets - @Lord Fozzinator
    • This was a great passion project to end the season on, but the artist formerly known as Muppets Fan! A mini-golf course with some Muppet touches is a great way to round out the line up of the Forward expansion and to make good use of the awkward left over space. Plus, it was great to see you go crazy with the Muppets, Fozz!
    • I really like the thought behind the swamp setting so it can blend in well visually with the Overture of Symphorest next door. Really smart touch that showcases your talent for realistic area design
    • I love the Muppets museum entry area. That's a very fun detail and a nice walkthrough to enhance the experience before getting started
    • The pre-show is very fun with some great Muppets dialogue! You're a great writer!
    • Thank you for specifying that the gators aren't real :p
    • The course really is great! Full of fun gags that make great use of the characters to do cool and distinct things. This would be a super fun mini-golf course to play around! Especially a fan of the cannon gag on one of the last hole! Love it!
I thought that the gators aren’t being real would be obvious but I thought I should just mention so no one thought that they were real. I wish I did the show but I really didn’t feel like it, I also had no idea that the museum and the pre show were still in the presentation. The funny thing is I don’t like golf or mini golf so I was kinda going in blind with this one. Many thanks on the comment on realistic area design.

JokersWild

Disney's Symphorest Reviews
gEcUjb2.png

Obviously its all one project that works best as one big group project, but for the sake of not making one giant post that clogs up the site and starts glitching, I'm gonna divide the reviews into two posts just like how the project is divided into two docs. If you see any typos at all in my reviews, its because of site glitches and no other reasons obviously :p
  • First Impressions
    • I love the music theme! It's something that I've seen discussed before a lot, but its never quite come together as much more than a general idea. But this park feel tangible and fully developed. It doesn't feel like a concept, it feels like a place!
    • I was a bit unclear on what a "boutique" park meant and I do still feel like more could've been done to create an experience that could only be done in a park with a lower max attendance. I used Discovery Cove as a real life example of a boutique park and suggested focusing less on traditional attractions and more on experiences, escape rooms, activities, etc. A boutique park isn't something that comes up often, take advantage of it! But that being said, while this may be more of a small theme park instead of a unique experience, it is still very very cool!
    • I love the self indulgent nature of this! There's a lot of ideas/lands suggested that might have been more realistic or more exciting to the average guest, but the team lead with what they were interested in and that was a great call imo leading to some really creative lands/attractions! With the concept of a world "made of music" tying it all together nicely making it feel like a cohesive park!
  • Team Dynamic
    • @JokersWild did a great job taking the lead on this one! Found a great balance of taking charge and being one of the driving voices without ever talking over or excluding people. There was a point I was worried this was becoming a "Jokers" park but any fears of that quickly faded away and nearly every team member contributed their voices here making it feel like a real great collaboration
    • @MonorailRed was another big voice driving this park! Red's more whimsical/abstract/visual concepts mixed with Jokers more high concept ideas to create something truly special! With @spacemt354 coming in with a very grounded/practical map design to tie it all together with a sense of realism!
    • @AceAstro was a great support player too as a late entry to the Final 8. He saw what was still needed and supported the team's vision excellently while adding his own touches too!
    • @WaltWiz1901 and @Outbound might not have been driving forces here, but they both did a great job finding attractions they're passionate about and that they can put unique spins on. These fit fantastically and expand the themes of the park in fun ways!
  • Presentation
    • I'm not gonna praise the Google Doc I set up myself lol. @Architectural Guinea Pig is right that a Site would be nicer for something of this size, but Docs gave everyone the chance to edit it and freed up more time to focus on the park rather than how its presented which hopefully helped
    • The map by @spacemt354 did a great job making this feel like a real place. He has an eye for practicality that is almost unmatched. A great way to balance the more abstract ideas of the park. Also, your music is great! I adored the guitar samples from you and appreciate that even after all the time you've spent on the forum you are STILL finding new ways to grow and try new creative things!
    • @MonorailRed AMAZING artwork as always! You really outdid yourself here and with fantaSea! Your artwork has this "emotions over realism" vibe that compliments the park really well. Sometimes it is an accurate representation, but generally the strength of your art is in how it communicates what it would feel like to look at the park more than what the park looks like. Its a tricky thing to do, but an amazing strength! Also, incredibly well done logos!
    • @JokersWild you did a great job with the parks main theme song! It perfectly captures the feeling of an enchanting adventure full of wonders, dangers, excitement, and fun around every corner!
  • Overture - @JokersWild
    • I really love the slow build of this entry land. You compared it to DAK's entry land iirc and that comparison is very apt. The slow transition from reality into the park. The building music (as shown with your theme song which doesn't just sound good but also adds to the land's write up) as more fantastical shapes appear and the forest overtakes guests. Its a great way to begin the journey!
    • I would've liked one or two more practical notes. what do the turnstyles look like? What does guest relations/stroller rentals look like in the middle of this forest? Its a minor nitpick, but I would've like to see the entry land mention some of the things an entry land needs.
  • Symphorest Grove
  • SG Area Description - @JokersWild / @MonorailRed
    • The Bogpipes picture is adorable (Jokers?)
    • I love the interactive and exploratory nature of the land. It feels so engaging and inviting blurring the line between hub and walkthrough attraction beautifully. I love the little exhibits like Windwood Tress and the rock garden. The heartbeat in the ground. Its beautiful! The park's thesis statement is communicated here so well and so naturally that no words are needed. a perfect example of "show don't tell" storytelling in the theme park space. All while being just plain fun. It never feels stuffy or like "art made for artists" if that makes sense. Theme Park superfan snobs an little kids who don't know anything yet are both going to enjoy and appreciate this hub!
  • Fantasia: A Spellbound Journey - @MonorailRed
    • I love how you tied this to the park's theme/story! This feels uniquely Symphorest in way where it could never be cloned anywhere else. Which helps it to stand out considering how many Fantasia dark rides there've been on the forum. It's not easy to make one that feels unique at this point, yet you did it! The music sheets framing device is a great way to tie the disparate scenes together too making it feel like a cohesive story and not just a series of showscenes!
    • My one real criticism is that I would've liked a bit more about how things are done from a practical standpoint. How much of it is practical effects, animatronics, projections, etc. There's not even much of a mention of ride system (its a boat, but are we talking Pirates or more modern and intimate like Navi river Journey or a more controlled path like Shanghai Pirates?) I get the experience of the ride (and it it a GREAT experience) but there's not much detail to make it feel real. Not that I need a detailed rundown of the mechanics of every single scene, but one or two bits where you go "and this part is projection mapped" or "this room is full of simple singing figures like Small World" can add a lot. I'm picturing very projection heavy mixed with sets along the lines of a more detailed Runaway Railway (without the big open empty rooms needed for an LPS trackless ride)
    • That being said, these scenes are great! I particularly like Firebird Suite transitioning into Pastoral Symphony but all of them are absolutely fantastic! With incredible artwork to really sell it too
  • All About Jazz - @Outbound
    • Might be my favorite attraction here and that is TOUGH competition! But the mix of educational and experiential is incredible. I love the abstract visuals and the mix of Epcot style history lessons with Magic Kingdom style whimsy and magic. Its a great blend of tones that works so well and creates such a unique ride tailor made for Symphorest's themes and ideas!
    • I also really love the more grounded ride system. A spinning bus bar and relatively simple effects. Not much here that couldn't have been done back in the 70s just taken up to 11 and used in really cool/creative ways! The "band" idea was a really interesting idea and I love the idea of the different cars getting "solos" and all working together! The writing also has a very strong blend of grounded imagineering and the more experiential ideas!
    • There is one really shocking omission here with the most influential piece of jazz music ever made (the theme song for Cowboy Bepop) missing entirely, but aside from that this ride is some of your best work ever Outbound!
  • Symphorest Schoolhouse - @WaltWiz1901
    • I love how well this fits into symphorest Grove! I was a little worried this would feel out of place, but the stylistic take here fits perfectly alongside the rest of the Grove while adding a new "toony" dynamic to help round it out. Adding in some classic Disney, but because it fits so well not because you're trying to shoehorn in IP.
    • I do almost wish this was a ride, both because the Grove is already full of areas to walk through and interactive elements AND because I like the schoolhouse and want more. Its cool! I love all the little details here and it works really well in the land! If my only complaint with something is that I want more of it that is a good sign lol
  • Tea Garden - @Outbound
    • I just love that of all things, this tiny tea garden is what passed through the most hands. I originally said I could do it since no one had claimed it, figured I could take some "filler" stuff to take some stress off of ya'll. But then Ace signed up for it and wanted to take it one. THEN something came up and Jokers took it up. THEN something came up so Outbound took it. It took 4 different people to get this simple food stand built lol
    • That being said, the final product is very nice and does a great job at not feeling like "filler" or thrown together last minute. It sounds like a lovely escape and a very nice quiet spot to escape all the music in the Grove and rest for a bit while enjoying a drink or a snack
  • That Soul Club - @Outbound
    • The capiton on the photo about the ducks is so fun and clever!
    • I love a good restaurant with live music and Disney does that so rarely in their parks. This is a perfect addition to the line up and a great main dining option for the park! I love the inclusion of Soul but without just taking the easy way out and recreating the Half Note Lounge from the film. This is its own place that stands on its own and the IP is just a good way to add a bit of fun to it!
  • Symphonia - @AceAstro
    • Puppets! Including puppets in your project when I'm the judge is essentially the same as giving me 20 bucks as a bribe lol
    • This is a really great spiritual successor to Fantasmic/World of Color while still having its own identity and its own voice enough that it can stand on its own despite being within walking distance of both those other shows
    • Again, love the inclusion of the puppets giving this a live element alongside the fountains, lights, and other effects. A really great blend of elements and a really great soudntrack! Love the mix of iconic songs like When you wish upon a star and more deep cuts like Thats How you Know! Perfect show to cap off a day at this wonderful park!
  • Pepperland
    • Love the bright, colorful land as a great balance to the very natural hub. This is a great spot for the designers to go crazy with the visuals. The giant "words" are a particularly fun touch
  • Yellow Submarine adventure - @JokersWild
    • Confession time: I'm a lifelong Beatles fan and have listened to probably every album (most on vinyl) repeatedly for years. Never seen Yellow Submarine. Been on my list for years, but never got around to it. I assume this is more or less a book report by the looks of it? I would generally say that focusing on one specific sequence or environment to explore/bring to life would be better for a dark ride rather than the whole movie as this can feel kind of scattered and all over the place. BUT scattered, weird, all over the place, and nonsensical kind of works here. It fits. Nothing makes sense or flows well but in this case... it just kind of works! There's a ton of points that is this was any other ride would be negatives, but here they all feel like positives! With the simple plot of fighting the blue meanies as enough of a story to tie it all together
    • I love the little bits of interactivity there just for fun not for competition. I want to see more interactive dark rides that are subtle like this and not just high score shooters. The Sea of Nothing also feels like a particularly fun scene that would make for a really unique visual. All of it is a blast though and clearly a passion project!
  • Lonely Hearts Club - @spacemt354
    • I think this is the show that Space is credited for, but this could also be a restaurant by
      Jokers. But then again the reference to Biergarten makes me suspect it is by Space :p
    • More live music in the music park is definitely a good thing and adds a lot to the experience. The menu sounds simple yet crowd pleasing (who doesn't love fish & chips!). the show is restrained by Beatles standards but I think that works well here. Nice, simple, scaled back. A cover band in fun costumes is all you need (aside from love of course). Really strong addition!
  • Synth City
    • I know there was concerns about how well this would fit with the park's natural hub. the intro does a good job addressing those concerns, but honestly I was never worried. A bit of variety is good and the sci-fi city here is so over the top that it feels as magical as the phorest does. Not to mention how it continues the trend of music being everywhere and in everything. Little details like the robot shopkeeper add a lot of life here and I love how it feels set apart from the rest of the park like a hidden treasure to find!
  • Daft Punk Synth Coaster - @AceAstro
    • I know changing it to a coaster was a last minute switch the accommodate AGP's attraction concept being added in which was similar in nature, but honestly I think it works so perfectly as a coaster that if I didn't know that I would be shocked to learn. This ride is a blast!
    • I love the lobby system of queue design like Jimmy Fallon and I'm honestly shocked we haven't started to see it used more often. The "design a concert" gimmick while waiting is a lot of fun too! It borrows pretty heavily from Test Track, but with an actual pay off at the end to make it worthwile!
    • It also of course borrows a lot from Rockin Rollercoaster with it essentially being a Daft Punk version of that in many ways, but theres enough twists on the formula and ride system to make it feel unique and special despite the similarities! Especially since this is on an entirely different side of the country than Rockin lol. Daft Punk's music lends itself so well to a ride that this really feels like a no brainer and a perfect fit!
    • I have mixed feelings about the queue and if it maybe goes too far (especially the Hall of Silence). But overall I really enjoy the concept and think the look at the past leading up to the showcase of the "future" is really fascinating! I do think it might have worked better as a stand alone walktrhough though (especially since it is basically that anyways since a flat ride is unlikely to have a crazy long line)
    • That being said, the projection effects add a lot and it would be a very cool flat! Love good evolution on flat ride design. I'm already feeling sick just thinking about it but it definitely sounds very fun!
  • End of Line Club - @spacemt354
    • Tron Legacy came out in 2010 which means I've been wanting to visit the End of Line Club for nearly 14 full years now!
    • I appreciate that you didn't overcomplicate this. Its a simple concept and you kept it simple. I look forward to ordering the Sea of Simulation and snacking on it while drinking my Light Cycle!
  • Take on MErchandise - @JokersWild
    • It's not credited, but come one that's definitely a Jokers gag lol
Appreciate the feedback! Yellow Submarine actually surprisingly isn’t a book report. While it follows similar scenes, I treated it as a sequel kind if.

Also I’m pretty sure @MonorailRed wrote Take on MErchandise, but I’m happy to take credit for it.

TheOriginalTiki

As a fellow Yellow Submarine enthusiast I can vouch that the structure takes on much more of a Frozen Ever After "tour through familiar locations using a continued minor plot point from the original story" than just a straight up book report.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom