Cirque Du Soleil

MrPromey

Originally posted by DCA Fan
I haven't seen La Nouba, but the other Cirque shows I've seen, Dralion, Quidam, Saltimbanco, Nouvelle Experience (all on video) have been excellent.

Let me tell you, if you liked them on video, you would absolutely LOVE them live. There are so many things going on at once in some of the shows that It’s impossible to keep track of. Also, Lanuba has the advantage, as does the other permanent shows, of having a custom stage that can do things that just aren’t possible with the touring shows (anyone who has seen any of the permanent productions knows what I’m talking about ;) )

MrPromey

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek

bman's right. i asked the guy who sold it to me about it (before he sold it to me, of course) what it was like, and he said that 80% of the show is on the tape, which i would say is about right. the rest is the creators and such of the show talking about it, which really is quite interesting! i say it's well worth the buy! i bought the tape and the souvenior book to remember my first live Cirque show! because i'm a major penny-pincher, i didn't buy the soundtrack, but i'm going to pick that up when i go back...it's definately one of my fave Cirque soundtracks!!

oh, that's awesome! to everyone seeing Varekai in the near future, have a great time!!:wave:

sig - i'm sure the VIP seats will DEFINATELY be worth it!
omg, there's no doubt that La Nouba is better than Dralion! you're certainly right about that! i'm not sure what it is about Dralion that i don't like...i think it lacked an element of randomness that the others have. sort of like Dralion had a certain theme and they felt like they had to stick with it throughout, which i can completely understand...but personally, i love it when Cirque shows have something in them that have nothing to do, really, with the show....such as the toy train chugging across the floor in La Nouba...it's there and you see it, and even though you might not understand why it's there, it some how works...i love that! another thing is that Dralion just seemed kind of fake from what i saw on Bravo. i mean, you could TELL that the wire was actually helping some of the performers instead of being safety back up. that another thing i love about the other Cirques...thank God they have those safety harnesses and nets, but you can tell that they're obviously doing every bit of the 'act' themselves! there's no wire lifting them up when they jump, and then slowly lowering them to safety! at least from what i've seen, that is. now there could be a reason that Dralion is like this, and i just don't know about it...i dunno! but still, Dralion is definately one of my least faves!

You don’t have to wait till your next trip down to get the soundtrack. Cirque music is available in a good number of stores. Most of the music chains have it and even my local Wal-Mart had a good selection for a few years before mysteriously dropping it. As a matter of fact, Best Buy carries not only the soundtrack but a few of the movies. Buying from your local store is cheaper, too. For instance, I bought Dralion on DVD at the show and paid $30 for it and you can buy it online at Amazon or B&N for $19.95. Likewise, I think the CD’s are about $20 at the show and they retail for about $14 in Best Buy. Anyone else seen the theatrical release of Alegria? (the movie – not a recording of the show) If so, what did you think of it?...

The other thing is about the wires. I saw Dralion live and I’m pretty sure you are talking about the wires “helping” when those guys are jumping up, right? Well, in the tent, it looked more like they were retracting up to stay taunt as they moved around so that there wouldn’t be a big tangled dangling mess. You could see for some people jumping down that it slowed the decent a bit but based on where it was connected, I don’t think it could have pulled them up and allowed them to balance in the positions that they did properly.

Oh, and for any big Cirque fans that are going to be at Disney in November. Quidam will be in Tampa Bay (about an hour away) for about all of November and possibly all of December. It’s not that far away from Disney and it’s probably my all time favorite touring show even though it’s an old one. If anyone is interested, I can provide simple directions to exactly where it’s going to be from Coming from Disney or the Orlando area. :)

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Under the big top...

Originally posted by MrPromey

There are so many things going on at once in some of the shows that It’s impossible to keep track of.

That's the idea behind "a three ring circus". In the old days they just didn't stay in town too long...and for good reason.;)

DisneyCP2000

La Nouba is a great show. I enjoyed every single moment of it :D ! On a side note about Dralion...did anyone notice that the show was done particularly for those in dinner packages and center stage? My family sat on the side of the theater and the show seemed very bland. A lot of the time we didn't see how spectacular the act was :( . I know that La Nouba is nothing like that, and every seat has an excellent view :). But I'm hoping that the new show Varekai will be better and more 'well rounded' .

westie

Well, I guess this answers the question of has anyone gone. I guess I'm missing out. So when will it be part of the admission price like DQ?

MrPromey

Originally posted by westie
Well, I guess this answers the question of has anyone gone. I guess I'm missing out. So when will it be part of the admission price like DQ?

Ha, ha… Umm, that was a joke, right? ;) Just in case it wasn’t, I’m going to go out on a limb and say “never”. Cirque du Soleil is a completely separate company from Disney and Disney only gets a percentage of the take for these shows. I’m pretty sure that the theater is owned by Disney under lease with the current arrangements but they in no way own the show itself… It seems like the price may still be a sticking point for you. Let me tell you, when it first came in I had never heard of Cirque du Soleil before. I thought, “Yea, right, like I’m going to pay $55 to go see a circus inn Disney” (BTW, at that time adult tickets were cheaper and children’s tickets were more expensive)… Then someone I knew came back from it and kept gushing over how amazing it was. I was like, “Glad you had a good time, sounds great” and they kept saying “No, really – you’ll LOVE this” so I somewhat reluctantly decided to go having no real idea of what I was getting into. Since then, I’ve traveled to various places specifically to see their shows and was ing mad when the theatrical release of Alegria was released just about everywhere in the world EXCEPT the US. We didn’t even get it in independent theaters. I had the thing pre-ordered and got it in the mail the day before it was released.

Yes, the tickets are more than the price of admission to a park and the parks have many shows that are included for free. For that matter, there are other shows in Orlando that cost considerably less some of which include the price of dinner. Over the years I’ve seen a good number of these shows and none have even come close to what La Nuba is. If you have every been to a Broadway or touring show of something like Starlight Express or perhaps Sunset Blvd. or any of the other ones that have major elaborate sets and costuming, you have some vague idea of why this is worth every penny and after you see one, you’ll want to see more. I have NEVER spoken to anyone who has ever seen a live performance of Cirque that has come away not enjoying it child or adult. We get a little picky saying one wasn’t as good but even though Dralion wasn’t my favorite, if it ever came back to Florida anywhere, I’d have my tickets the day they were available to buy.

sigsegv

Originally posted by DisneyCP2000
On a side note about Dralion...did anyone notice that the show was done particularly for those in dinner packages and center stage? My family sat on the side of the theater and the show seemed very bland. A lot of the time we didn't see how spectacular the act was :( . I know that La Nouba is nothing like that, and every seat has an excellent view :). But I'm hoping that the new show Varekai will be better and more 'well rounded' .

FWIW, we saw Dralion down front and center with VIP tickets and it still was not very spectacular. I don't think you missed much. As for Varekai, we also have VIP tickets for when they come to Philadelphia and I really hope it's a lot better than Dralion was (though my In-Laws _loved_ Dralion....)

-sig

sigsegv

Ha, ha… Umm, that was a joke, right? ;) Just in case it wasn’t, I’m going to go out on a limb and say “never”.

The first time we saw La Nouba, we got the tickets are part of the Grand Plan. I think you can get La Nouba tickets as part of some other plans too, but I'm not so familiar with them.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wa...ons/vacationpackageindex?id=PK2002GrandPlanVP

Since then, I’ve traveled to various places specifically to see their shows.

:) DW and I keep dreaming of taking a long weekend and flying out to Vegas to see O on one night and Mystere on the other. Maybe someday....

-sig

DisneyCP2000

Originally posted by sigsegv

FWIW, we saw Dralion down front and center with VIP tickets and it still was not very spectacular. I don't think you missed much. As for Varekai, we also have VIP tickets for when they come to Philadelphia and I really hope it's a lot better than Dralion was (though my In-Laws _loved_ Dralion....)

-sig

Just being in the show is amazing enough for me. But I was extremely dissappointed when I saw the girls walking on the light bulbs:mad: . Here's 5 ladies on light bulbs, and from my view I only see 3 (side view :rolleyes: ). When Varekai rolls into town I'm getting VIP tix for sure! Has anyone in here seen O. I hear that it's "amazing" (if that's the right word for it :lol: )

JJHale

We just returnd from WDW on 8/25. Saw La Nouba last Monday. All I can say is it was breathtaking. Words really fail to describe it. We had all seen the Cirque shows on TV but nothing prepared us for the live show. It entertains on so many different levels, there is so much activity going on at the same time. My favorite character was also the "muscle guy". What a great surprise when he was center stage for the trampoline finale! Truly spectacular.

My advice to anyone is to do whatever you can to see the show, you will not be dissapointed.

Talsonic

Account Suspended
La Nouba is great if you like balancing acts, the flying trapeze, trampoline, high wire walkers, jugglers, BMX bike stunts and various other acrobatic choreography. Personally, I didn't care for the show or the music very much. I prefer to see this type of activity in a competitive arena rather than a "party" atmosphere. For example, I really enjoy watching competitive ice skating. However I really dislike seeing these same great athletes in the Ice Capades or Disney On Ice. So IMHO if you liked the 1977 Ice Capades with Dorothy Hamill, then you will love La Nouba.

Talsonic

Account Suspended
I have no personal experience in this regard.

Originally posted by Simba1
In what language does "La Nouba" mean "party?"

It comes from the French expression "faire la nouba", meaning to party or live it up. My guess is that the French are pretty good at that sort of thing.
:lol:

MrPromey

Originally posted by Talsonic
La Nouba is great if you like balancing acts, the flying trapeze, trampoline, high wire walkers, jugglers, BMX bike stunts and various other acrobatic choreography. Personally, I didn't care for the show or the music very much. I prefer to see this type of activity in a competitive arena rather than a "party" atmosphere. For example, I really enjoy watching competitive ice skating. However I really dislike seeing these same great athletes in the Ice Capades or Disney On Ice. So IMHO if you liked the 1977 Ice Capades with Dorothy Hamill, then you will love La Nouba.

Talsonic, you make it sound like Ringling Brothers based on that description alone. :p

… And you are the very first person that I’ve ever met that didn’t love it. Are you sure you saw the right show? ;)

MrPromey

Originally posted by DMC-12
You know what Downtown Disney Needs....
The Blue Man Group... :D That would be cool

I thought Intel owned them now. Did they manage to escape past the guard dogs and barbed wire? :confused:

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.

I thought Intel owned them now. Did they manage to escape past the guard dogs and barbed wire? :confused:

:lol: does Intel own them:confused: really I dont know...I dont think they do..

I have never seen blue man group here in chicago cause they are like sold out 3 months in advance....and I refuse to pay at least double face value from a broker.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom