Cinematic Showdown #1: Shawshank vs Green Mile

Cinematic Showdown #1 (Pick Your Favorite)

• The Shawshank Redemption

Votes: 21 80.8%
  • The Green Mile

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

Darth Tater

Original Poster

Both are excellent prison drama's.
Both are based upon Stephen King stories.
Both have been acclaimed by many as some of the greatest films of all time.
Both involve a man being sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit.

Which of these two is the best and why?

Darth Tater

Original Poster
I picked Shawshank. It has always been one of my top films of all time. Like @sweetpee_1993 said, the best feel-good ending of any movie. Morgan Freeman is brilliant as always (seriously, if I hired someone to narrate my life...it would be Morgan Freeman). I also loved the signature theme of the film: "Get busy living, or get busy dying." Do we accept our unfortunate situations as inevitable, or do we do something to improve them? Classic film; great story.

SAV

Shawshank. I soooo love the part when Boggs is released from solitary and goes back to his cell and never walks again. Just an uplifting part of the movie.

So many great parts of that movie!!

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Both based on stories by Stephen King! Shawshank is a better movie for me. Green Mile is a better book -Although it's a tough choice. Shawshank is a short story I think it translates better to a movie format. I loved the original publishing of Green Mile where it was a series of novellas put out one at a time.

bsiev1977

Even though I voted for Shawshank, I will say that I love Green Mile. Fantastic cast:
Tom Hanks
Michael Clarke Duncan
James Cromwell
Michael Jeter
Graham Greene
David Morse
Sam Rockwell
Barry Pepper
Jeffery DeMunn
Harry Dean Stanton
and

Special notice must be given to Doug Hutchison, who played Percy. He went on to become the creepy older guy who married the much younger Courtney Stodden. If you don't know who she is, Google her and relort back here. I'll wait..........

Uncle Remus

Loved them both. Shawshank wins it for me. I've seriously seen that movie over 20 times. Green mile twice. I honestly don't know a single person who hasn't seen Shawshank

~Tinkerbell~

My vote goes to The Shawshank Redemption. I think that Morgan Freeman is just great in this film. Also, there were parts of Green Mile that creeped me out a little.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom