Cinderella's Royal Table: Is it worth it?

Figments Friend

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of going down to Disney this March to celebrate my 35th Birthday in style. I am in the planning stages and wanted to ask about something many of you may have already experienced and can give honest, first hand opinions, thoughts, and advice.

I'm thinking of having a meal at Cinderella's Royal Table. Like many before me, i have been intrigued by this resturant located inside the famous castle at WDW.

My questions are these:

When you dined there, what was it like for you? What was the experience..talk me through it if you could.

How would you rate the food, both in quantity, taste, and pricing?

Is it a strictly "Princess" character affair or do other 'friends" stop by?

Is it absolutely mandatory to reserve in advance? I ask as i tried a walk in during a slow time and was still denied entry.

bferrara16

Hi!
I hesitate to respond to an inquiry like this because I would never want to affect someone's decision as to make them miss-out on something they would have done, or conversely, trap them into partaking in something that they didn't enjoy. However, with that said, since there have yet to be any responses, I feel I should at least share my enjoyable experience at CRT.
Last summer, I took my girlfriend to CRT for the breakfast and we had a blast.
First, just as you seem to be, I was intrigued with dining at the castle that I had seen and walked underneath for many years. Half of my fun was just seeing the inside - the stairwells, main hall - all of it is very impressive. Our seat was at a window, so being able to look out of the castle over the park was pretty cool and memorable.
When we sat, the princesses were nearby to our table and we were greeted very quickly after being seated - one after the other with a minute or so in between- they were all great and took plenty of pictures with us. The interactions were also very fun - they treat you like royalty!
As far as the food goes, I was... well... pleasantly surprised! I am not much of a breakfast eater, but the food was very good and very filling. It was all you can eat with a wide variety for a decent character-meal price (allearsnet.com has it currently listed at $32 for breakfast, $34 for lunch, and $40 for dinner - but I believe this includes pictures now... they didn't have that when we went and I don't recall the price then exactly). Also, I believe something happens if you mention a birthday or special event (it is announced, maybe a gift... I am not sure).
Overall, in my opinion, it was well worth it - especially because this was my girlfriends' first trip to MK and I wanted it to be memorable. It certainly was and we have plenty of pictures to prove it. To commemorate a birthday, I am sure it would be just as memorable.
To answer some of your other questions: To my knowledge just the princesses attend (that was the case at my visit, anyway) but there are quite a few of them, so you would hardly notice I don't think - there was hardly any character downtime for us. Also, I believe it is a must to reserve in advance (everywhere you read, and my own personal experience points this way). In fact, it is often suggested that you wake up early and call the minute WDW Dining opens its phone lines the first available morning in order to get the reservation you want (check out the advance reservation page at allearsnet.com for more info on that). I did this and still didn't get the reservation quite as early as I wanted to.
I hope that helps just a bit at least. Again, I always feel its best to check it out and see for yourself... but I certainly had no complaints and would do it again for what its worth.
Good luck!
:wave:
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Upvote 0

WDWbrightcubs

definite yes!

We went to CRT this past August and it was awesome. We got a table at the window and were treated like royality...even my partner, who isnt a big disney fan, got into it and took some pictures w/ mary poppins. The food was delicious...I love me some breakfast food..lol. The whole dining experience made us feel very very special. I would recommend it to anyone!:king:

Upvote 0

MissM

It definitely used to be. But the price is now double and the menu is limited because of the "free" litho you get and the fact even dinner is a character meal now. A dinner entree was around $25 and now it's $40 per person. To me, that's just far too much. I'm very sad that they're making this switch. Oh by the way, not only do you need a reservation, but they now charge you full price to your credit card at the time of reservation. :(
-m

Upvote 0

shmmrname

We did the CRT for lunch (1:15) just over two weeks ago.

First, the characters were strictly Princesses, along with the Fairy Godmother. Jasmine was not present, Aurora, Snow White, Belle, the Fairy Godmother, and Cinderella all were.

Before being seated, you are taken to a waiting room to get a picture opportunity with Cinderella. It is very intimate compared to other picture/signing opportunities. Also, when your name is called it is very, very uniquely done, and I loved it.

You get to walk up a spiral staircase to the actual restaurant, and there weren't any 'bad' tables as we saw. We sat in the inner portion of the room, on the side nearest Fantasyland.

The food is amazing. I was actually a little angry we had gotten a PS at CRT instead of other more intriguing options, because I thought the menu looked terrible on-line. The appetizers were a mix of the usual and some oddities I have never had. But the rest was amazing. The 'Major Domo' was perfect. Possibly the best thing I have ever eaten. Its like a beef pot pie on steroids. I can't even describe how good it was. Also, if you get the "Bippity Boppity Brew', you get a collectible glass mug when you leave the restaurant. The dessert was a blueberry cupcake type baked good served with lemon ice cream.

As far as price goes, it is pretty expensive, but not when you compare your other options. We go to WDW knowing everything will be priced much more than we are used to, but that's just something we have to accept. I would suggest CRT over the Crystal Palace and the Princess Storybook Breakfast, as these are the only two character meals I have done recently other than CRT.

We got our PS 89 days in advance. We try to make sure we plan our meal options for each trip, or at least have ideas for each day. We feel like we are wasting money if we eat a hamburger everyday while in WDW when there is so many great options at our disposal.

Upvote 0

Figments Friend

Original Poster
( Regarding comment about credit card being charged full price at time of reservation)

Really?

I assume this is for the Dinner reservations...since demand seems so high, they charge you even if you don't show up?

Upvote 0

shmmrname

We did have to charge a portion of our total prior to our actual meal. It was 5 dollars though per person I believe, and we were aware that we wouldn't get it back if we didn't show or cancelled.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

MissM said:
It definitely used to be. But the price is now double and the menu is limited because of the "free" litho you get and the fact even dinner is a character meal now. A dinner entree was around $25 and now it's $40 per person. To me, that's just far too much. I'm very sad that they're making this switch. Oh by the way, not only do you need a reservation, but they now charge you full price to your credit card at the time of reservation. :(
-m
I agree with that...gimme the $25 meal and keep my free $15 litho...$40 would be more reasonable for Hoop-de-doo or the Polynesian Luau (which I realize cost more, and I don't think that is right, either).

Upvote 0

Mimi

Figments Friend said:
( Regarding comment about credit card being charged full price at time of reservation)

Really?

I assume this is for the Dinner reservations...since demand seems so high, they charge you even if you don't show up?

It may be different now but before my trip in August I was required to give my credit card number for certain dinner reservations - I believe they were Hoop Dee Doo and CRT - I was told that there would only be a charge if we didn't show because of the high demand for these tables.

Upvote 0

MissM

Figments Friend said:

Really?

Starting February 1st Cinderella's Royal Table is switching over to ALL character meals ($40/person dinner). For any reservation the 1st or after, yes, you are charged the full amount up front. Previously, it was a credit card to hold the reservation and only a penalty charge if you failed to cancel far enough out or were a no-show. Now though, it's pay in full at time of booking.

Here's more details and info on the specifics of the cost, meals and new policies:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=68490
http://www.allearsnet.com/din/restnews.htm

To me, it's a shame. :( I think at least one meal should be character-free. Plus the change in price really is absurdly high.
-m

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If you're confused yet, it's justified!

The reason the messages you're getting seem to conflict is because of the changes that will take place on 1st Feb.

Any mention of what the food was like or how much it cost when people were there will no longer be valid in less than two weeks. I'll be at CRT for breakfast on the 5th and hopefully can post a review when I get back home on the 12th.

If you are booking CRT for after 1 Feb, you'll be asked to provide your credit card info. If you let them know you're using the Magic My Way with Disney Dining Plan, they won't charge you unless you miss the reserved meal. If you're not using DDP, they charge the full cost of the reservation immediately.

Details from AllEars.net:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Beginning February 1, 2006, dining at Cinderella's Royal Table will undergo several changes:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-- Breakfast and Lunch will continue as Disney Princess-themed character meals. However, when you arrive at Cinderella Castle for your reservation, a photographer will be on hand to take pictures of your group in the lobby, before you are seated in the dining room. A package with four 4x6 prints and one 6x8 print of your photo, as well as one 6x8 print of Cinderella Castle, in a Cinderella photo holder (valued at $29.95 plus tax) will be delivered to you during your meal, which will be from a fixed-price, set menu. (Additional photos may be purchased.)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Breakfast: $31.99 ages 10 and up; $21.99 ages 3-9. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lunch: $33.99 ages 10 and up; $22.99 ages 3-9.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-- Dinner will become a fixed-price, set meal, also, hosted by the Fairy Godmother, who will lead the observance of special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries. You will also have the chance to have your photo taken before dining, with a photo package similar to that mentioned above offered to you during the meal. In addition, you will receive a special, unframed, unmatted lithograph (worth $50), given exclusively to diners at Cinderella's Royal Table Dinner. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dinner: $39.99 ages 10 and up; $24.99 ages 3-9.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NOTE: Once these changes go into effect (February 1, 2006), payment in full with a credit card will be required at the time of booking for all meals at Cinderella's Royal Table. If you do not have a credit card, the reservation cannot be made. All reservations for dining at Cinderella's Royal Table prior to February 1, 2006, will follow current pricing and deposit payment policies.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Magic Your Way Plus Dining Plan WILL be accepted at Cinderella's Royal Table meals, requiring TWO table service credits.[/FONT]
Advance Reservation is a must. This is the hardest Character Meal to get a Priority Seating time for![FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] If you want to see Cinderella and can't get in here or want a less expensive meal, try her Royal Gala Feast at 1900 Park Fare in the Grand Floridian.[/FONT]

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

crazycalf

should-be-BELLE said:
We got reservations for my sister's birthday for breakfast in April. How would you go about announcing a birthday? Just telling the waiter?

When you made the reservation did you tell them? If not just call back dining and add that to your reservation. Also, to make sure that they know it is her birthday, mention it when you check in for you meal at the desk.

Upvote 0

CaptainMichael

ISTCNavigator57 said:
I agree with that...gimme the $25 meal and keep my free $15 litho...$40 would be more reasonable for Hoop-de-doo or the Polynesian Luau (which I realize cost more, and I don't think that is right, either).
Well, I think that Hoop-dee-doo is worth the price because you are getting good entertainment with good food and good service. I was pleasantly surprised with Hoop-dee-doo. I've never done the Luau, but I enjoyed CRT last May. It was an awesome experience. The waiters and waitresses literally treat you like royalty. I'm saddened that they've decided to make this Character Dining. Some restaurants should be left alone and this was one of them. In my opinion, they've changed a romantic restaurant perfect for proposing and made it another run of the mill character dining experience. If anything, the character dining should be optional.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

ok we did cinderellas for breakfast before all of these changes. With these new changes I have a couple of questions. How do they hand out the photos with grandgatherings? We go to WDW frequently with 12 of our family members (3 families). Would we just get one package or would each family get one package.
I too think the price is a bit much. I'd rather they did like at Chef Mickeys and give people the option of spending the extra money on the photos. Some people like to go back to favorite special rest. at WDW and don't always want photos. But if you do the meal plan then maybe its no big deal???

Upvote 0

Huck

Just a word of caution...
When we went to CRT for lunch in December (light crowds, not a busy week) we had a late luch reservation.. I think it was 2:30pm. Well we got there a few minutes ahead of schedule and we were told that they were a little behind in seating guests. We were not seated until 3:05pm and by that time the princesses were gone. (The union, I think, is very strict about the time frames for face and costumed characters. Maybe someone here knows better than me.) Anyway, the manager came to the table and told us they wouldn't be coming back. She made ammends by giving us priority passes to the Princess tent in Toontown and one for any attraction of our choice. This was nice, of course, but as I have said it was not a busy week and lines were pretty nonexistent. So bottom line, we had a very expensive meal and had to take time out of our day to go back to toontown so the kids could meet the princesses. In all I left with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. (Not literally)

So my warning is not "Don't go", but rather don't get a late seating.
There's my two bits.

Upvote 0

PigletIsMyCat

DH and I went to CRT for dinner last fall (when it was non-character hosted, and only 'cost' one table service meal on the DDP). DH had salad, filet of beef, dessert and a drink and I had shrimp cocktail, filet of beef, dessert and a drink. Our total price was over $100 (it was all a la carte at this time). For one table service meal and the variety of food, it was well worth it and one of our favorite meals.

Having said that, I do not know what the new set menu is, but it will apparantly be served family style. I do not feel that it would be worth two table service meals. I also think the price seems a little steep, seeing as how Chef Mickey's is like $30 a person. If anyone in my party INSISTED on going to CRT, I would go for lunch and pay out of pocket.

Upvote 0

col

i had breacfast at CRT on xmas day and it was ok. you meet cinderella in the lobby then they call your name, you go to your table and the princesses come over take pictures and sign autographs.
what i thought was different from a "buffet" was the fact that you tell the server what you want and they bring it to you on a plate other than you going to get it for yourself. apart from that it was ok and belle was the nicest person at the buffet coz she talks to you for a while coz the others just sign the autograph get the pic taken then there off.
dont get me wrong i did enjoy it but i wouldnt do that character breakfast again.

Upvote 0

AshAlytwins

We did Cindy's table before the DDP went into effect and I was not all that thrilled. We too waited over an hour after our Priority seating time. It was one of those we wanted to try it, but won't make an effort to do it again. My kids were 12 and they had to eat from the adult menu, which was not kid friendly, so they went hungry and it was EXPENSIVE!!!
I would prefer the Liberty Tree Tavern or Tony's!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom