Cinderella Castle light show - photos and lots of details

Jose Eber

In person, Paris's is prettier.

I don't know. Ours looks sloppy. Its a nice gimmick. Hopefully they didn't spend too much money, and they can remove it quick after the holidays.

Its def. unique but very much in the vein of contemporary imagineering: Tech for the sake of tech.

Figment1986

Nightly at 5:45, not bad... Open for everyone in the park at that time so its not just party exclusive.

I hope it does look as good in person as they describe it.

Jose Eber

Its a cheap (but effective) attention ploy to get people in the park. Its not the most tasteful when you see it in person. Its 'o.k'.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Its a cheap (but effective) attention ploy to get people in the park. Its not the most tasteful when you see it in person. Its 'o.k'.

I think its a great addition. We havn't lost anything for the addition of the castle show, it's a bonus over previous years. The vast majority of guests are going to love it.

Captain Hank

I love how it looks on the front, but it's funny that they decorated just for it to be viewed at that angle.
Historically, that's how most overlays are constructed. Even the 1996 Pepto-Bismol pink nightmare was only designed to be viewed from the front. The rear turrets weren't covered with "candy."

Jose Eber

I'll get some hi-def video of it. You'll see what I mean.

Again, BIG difference between Paris version and WDW's version. You haven't seen WDW's in person yet.

dlp05_xmas_tree.jpg

^ This is cute and appropriate. It actually snows in Disneyland Paris and the light scheme matches the architectural style/nature of the castle.

This (see below) is really heavy on the lights, although some phase in an out while you watch it (and when its darker they shine blue and purple light) the castle isn't lit at all from the back and its looks garish at times because its sooo heavy on the LED.

I know this is your site, but you've got one differing opinion on this forum!

web_1108AT_0092DR32968866.jpg

imamouse

I've visited WDW several times during the holidays, so I am excited to have a new offering to enjoy. I am especially looking forward to the castle light show.

Enderikari

Alright Jose, but my opininon differs from yours greatly. And I have seen the lights on the castle tonight. And have gotten the opinions of many people who have seen the castle tonight, and its going over gangbusters. Were you there for the ceremony? Did you hear the cheers of the guests? Or were you too wrapped up in your soundproof preconceived notions.
Having now seen both the Paris and WDW castle lights, I prefer Florida, by far, though Paris' lights are pretty spectacular too

jrh1985

Alright Jose, but my opininon differs from yours greatly. And I have seen the lights on the castle tonight. And have gotten the opinions of many people who have seen the castle tonight, and its going over gangbusters. Were you there for the ceremony? Did you hear the cheers of the guests? Or were you too wrapped up in your soundproof preconceived notions.
Having now seen both the Paris and WDW castle lights, I prefer Florida, by far, though Paris' lights are pretty spectacular too

Any Pics or video?

jt04

Jose was saying it was going to be bad before the lights even went up. Some times people can't admit being wrong. From what I have heard, Jose is wrong about this. Very wrong.

SDav10495

In person, Paris's is prettier.

I don't know. Ours looks sloppy. Its a nice gimmick. Hopefully they didn't spend too much money, and they can remove it quick after the holidays.

Its def. unique but very much in the vein of contemporary imagineering: Tech for the sake of tech.

Not that I've seen either light show in person, but...

While I generally agree that the MK castle could have scaled back in a few places (and that the Paris lights are somewhat more successful in matching the castle's architectural details), MK's lights aren't exactly "sloppy." In fact, while Paris' turret lights are stunning and overall "tighter" than MK's, the layer of lights cascading down Paris' central tower looks sloppier to me than anything on the MK castle.

All in all I think this is a very nice plus...not perfect, but hardly "tech for the sake of tech" the way we've seen in the parks lately. I can't wait for the opportunity to see the lights for myself in the future (though who knows when that will be).

Harry456

I think its beautiful! Its like Disney decorated its house for the holidays. maybe, you guys are being just a little judgmental and beside, when does a person decorate their WHOLE house?

GREAT job decorating!!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'll get some hi-def video of it. You'll see what I mean.

^ This is cute and appropriate. It actually snows in Disneyland Paris and the light scheme matches the architectural style/nature of the castle.

This (see below) is really heavy on the lights, although some phase in an out while you watch it (and when its darker they shine blue and purple light) the castle isn't lit at all from the back and its looks garish at times because its sooo heavy on the LED.

I dont really need to see any hi def video of it - these things need to be seen in person. Regardless, I think Disney are doing a great job with this. It is something new, and I think it will go down really well with the vast majority of guests. If I were lucky enough to be at the Magic Kingdom for the holidays I would appreciate the efforts of Disney doing this. Maybe you should try telling the thousands of guests in awe of it that you prefer the Paris version.

Captain Hank

I actually think that WDW's castle pulls off the idea better. For me, DLP's lighting overlay looked a little tentative: only a few of the primary turrets were decorated. Also, there's that akward unlit space on the tallest tower between the turret and the balcony halfway down.

On the other hand, at WDW all of the primary forward-facing towers are lit. It appears that at WDW, the designers were going for an Ice Castle look, which it appears that they pulled off beautifully. A bit over the top? Heck yeah, but I think that's a good thing.

And, I'm basing this solely on photographs of the two castles, as I've seen neither decorated in this manner (though I'll be seeing WDW's in the not-too-distant future).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom