Cinderella Castle Ice Lights = Bad Show?

raven

Disneyland castle lights. Now this is bad show!

221259167-M.jpg

JustPlainBill

I never even would have noticed the lights didn't go all the way around if you hadn't pointed it out.
I know you were directly addressing the OP here but what you said here made me realize the same thing, If I had just seen the picture I may not have noticed it either, after reading the posts that followed I took their input into consideration along with the OPs question and decided that the castle looks good the way it is. I appreciate everyones opinion, even the negative ones. I have paid a lot of money for my Disney vacations and I take the good with the bad. When I feel I've been let down, sometimes I feel it's bad enough to express how I feel, sometimes I keep it to myself. We all have different expectations of service and value for our money. Some of us have thicker skins than others and can be quite sensitive, not necessarily to an opposite opinion but to criticism for having that idea to begin with. The OP brought up an issue and for me I appreciate the post and the following opinions, which is why I visit this forum frequently. I tend to over-analyze and I try not to be critical of how people feel or believe.
I digress as well.
Sorry.:shrug:

raven

I have paid a lot of money for my Disney vacations and I take the good with the bad. When I feel I've been let down, sometimes I feel it's bad enough to express how I feel, sometimes I keep it to myself. We all have different expectations of service and value for our money.

I saw a WDW behind the scenes show on TV last night and they summed it up pretty good. They said that when it comes to Disney, people's expectations are higher than that of any other entertainment company. With all that expectation on people's minds already, it's difficult to please everyone.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I saw a WDW behind the scenes show on TV last night and they summed it up pretty good. They said that when it comes to Disney, people's expectations are higher than that of any other entertainment company. With all that expectation on people's minds already, it's difficult to please everyone.

...and Disney is to a certain extent guilty of their own great PR. There are a number of threads here talking about YOMD prize awards...how they're not fair or only given to families or whatever.....well, the commercials kind of make it seem like everyone will get to win, don't they? Shouldn't I expect a private audience with Cinderella or have Mickey drop in to see me.

It's a pretty thin line having some magic for everyone and meeting my idea of what that magic is.

I'm just happy they keep trying! :D

BruceWayne

thanks for proving my point in it's entirety. Next time you feel like calling me names, go ahead and call me on my cell phone and tell me in person.. I'll pm you my number if you'd like...

thatd actually be great. would you do that? that way i can call you and call you names, then post your number everywhere so others will call you as well. make sure to put the country code. do you know what that is?

thanks for proving my point.

bigtotoro

So I'm listening to WDW Today Podcast the other day, and one of the hosts honestly compared the castle lights to the infamous CakeCastle (tm). I don't see it as that big a deal. What with this, SpaceShip Earth, Carousel of Progress...everyone is just so p*ssy lately.

hardcard

Original Poster
So I'm listening to WDW Today Podcast the other day, and one of the hosts honestly compared the castle lights to the infamous CakeCastle (tm). I don't see it as that big a deal. What with this, SpaceShip Earth, Carousel of Progress...everyone is just so p*ssy lately.

I don't think the lights look bad.. I love them, I just wondered why they didn't go all the way around.. but there were valid points reasons suggested by earlier posts in the thread, and they are 100% right.. it may not be money.. it may be safety with the lauch tubes for wishes, and reduction of a 'cluttered lights' look from forward viewing..

Actually, I didn't dislike the cakecastle as a temp thing.. glad it's gone now though..

hardcard

Original Poster
thatd actually be great. would you do that? that way i can call you and call you names, then post your number everywhere so others will call you as well. make sure to put the country code. do you know what that is?

thanks for proving my point.

get a life.

hauntdmansion79

These forums would be so much more fun if we were all nicer to each other.

I think the castle looks awesome. It is supposed to look like the castle is covered in ice and I think that's just what it looks like. The spotty covering actually helps that effect.

For the record, I was at WDW when the castle cake was up I really liked it, it was fun. Thank God it was only temporary, but when I look back at my vacation pictures from that trip, it reminds of a great time.

JustPlainBill

I do agree that people expect more from Disney, right or wrong. In my case I simply love the place. There have been unpleasant experiances that have occurred during my stay in "paradise" that has caused me diappointment or irritation. I'll be the first person to cry out that the emperor has no clothes. It's not throwing out the baby with the bathwater. I do feel the OP has expressed that he was asking a question and asking how others felt and was not condemning Disney as a whole. IMHO, much of what Disney does is artistic, it goes without saying, really. With art, comes criticism and interpretation. We should all be free to express how we feel or how we see it.

leobloom

I think the castle looks awesome. It is supposed to look like the castle is covered in ice and I think that's just what it looks like. The spotty covering actually helps that effect.

Exactly! It only iced on the front of the castle. Miraculously, the Fantasyland side was spared by above-freezing temperatures. :p

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
As for EE's "warehouse" sections on the back of the mountain, didn't they paint those walls as cliff villages/buildings, similar to the "village" the lifthill goes through?

-Rob

Yes it is themed as a village on the rear of the mountain. It is no longer solid brown.

Green Lantern

I agree that it would look nicer if they did all the turrets with the lights, but, that being said, I do think the castle just looks beautiful lit up like that. The reflection cast in the moat just seals it for me. I wish I could see that in person. It makes for a romantic setting.

celticdog

I think the castle looks awesome. It is supposed to look like the castle is covered in ice and I think that's just what it looks like.

I agree. When I saw the OP's picture, plus the one's Steve has on the home page all I could think was "WOW, the castle looks awesome". It makes me want to go back NOW!!!!

dsnyfreak

that's just what I was thinking!!:D
Well they are ICE lights right? When was the last time you saw ice on an entire house or building? Typically ice is only found on the top of the buildings or hanging from the tops of things like gutters, etc. So looking at this pic I would say it looks very correct on how they did it with the exception of the back.
Now I have not seen the castle lit like this from up close but we did see it Monday night standing at the TTC and it looked amazing even from there

masonp

Just a passing quote.....they used 15 miles worth of lights for the effect...got that news straight from a CM, just got back yesterday..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom