Trip Report Christmas Wish - Grandfather's Road Goes Ever Ever On

So, this is a Pre-Trip report / Trip Report...I think it's best to keep it all together for this trip as it will be a short visit (by my standards), and I already have a "pre-trip" planning thread going here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/christmas-wish-trip-with-an-80-year-old-man-advice-needed.878171/

I like to start these threads once I've made the Down Payment on the trip, and I have as of today. Of course, I will be trip reporting this for you all to follow along...and I must say, this trip will be different...very different, from any trip I've ever had before.

That being said, lets start with some introductions and back story!

I'm englanddg...

...and my kiddo is KK. Some of you may know us!

We...are Disnerds.

This trip will include my sister Erin

(better picture coming, this is from her Carolina Crown days)

21223_512.jpg

And her fiance Tyler

<sorry, no picture...but imagine a buff handsome dude...I'll put in a picture later>

And of course, my Grandfather...

Yes, the man can rock a kilt. His health is faltering though...and we'll probably need to have him in a wheelchair or an ECV for the trip. I plan to rent from Walker Rentals...

So, more backstory. My sister, her fiance and I carpooled for Christmas Day in Augusta with our Parents and Grandparents. The day was wonderful! We had a blast.

During the family festivities...my Grandfather pulled me aside and asked...no begged...that I take him to Disneyworld for "one last trip".

His health is failing, but he still has a few good years left statistically. But, again statistically (he used to be on the CPA exam board, this is the world he lives in)...statistically, this is his best "final" year to go.

While he mumbled in my ear that I was the only one (because, obviously, I'm the most obsessed with Disney in the family) who would "take him", all I could hear was this...

The man...no, the patriarch...of our family...wants to go back...

A veteran of WWII, a retired military man, a gentleman and a scholar.

Tears welled in my eyes, as this is the same man who took my father to Disneyland as a kid, the same man who was there and supported the early Disneyworld. He loves Disney, loved Walt, and instilled it in our family culture (my parents honeymooned there, at Contemporary, with a then 5 year old me). His resume of Disney trips would put anyone but a long term employee to shame! He's been easily hundreds of times, and tried to experience all he could whilst there (not just the big rides or attractions)...

So, he wants to go back, one last time...a farewell tour!

One last trip, and it will be GLORIOUS! So, since I hitched a ride with my sister from Atlanta to Augusta to go see them for the holidays, on the way back...she and her fiance and I got to talking...

And this is what we came up with.

A 5 day trip in May (we don't want to wait too long)...from at least 5/1 until 5/5...

I'll invite his only living great-grandchild (my kid) and bring her along so he can see the "world" through her eyes on the trip. We figure with one middle 30s guy (me) and two under 30s (them) we'll be able to keep up with the two of them.

We booked Polynesian Resort for that timeframe, club level (grandfather always wanted that silver spoon!)...Theme Park View.

We figure that at least one night we can watch the Wishes fireworks from the hotel, with the theme piped in from the TV...it's a nice low key night with a great spectacular. I recently did this at Contemporary, and I think it's a great way to see the fireworks, and a wonderful last trip experience!

So, moving on...

The itinerary is:

4/30 - I fly to DC and pick up the kid, late flight to Orlando. Sister, her fiance and my Grandfather fly out of Augusta, and arrive in Orlando earlier. We all crash together at the MCO airport hotel (still up in the air, may just add an extra night at Disney)

5/1 - Magic Kingdom, lunch wherever (knowing Grandfather he'll want to watch Comic Ray, he always loved that venue). Dinner at Cindy's Royal Table. Wishes Dessert Party for fireworks!

5/2 - Split day. EPCOT in the morning with lunch at Coral Reef. Time back at the hotel and then Jikos for dinner...maybe even Grandfather treating us to a limo service for transit! (fancy schmancy!)

5/3 - Open morning. Afternoon at the hotel. Dinner at Mama Melrose with the Fantasmic seating package.

5/4 - Open morning. Probably Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom. Lunch where ever. Dinner at Rose and Crown for Illuminations.

5/5 - Breakfast at Crystal Palace. 3p Parade and then off to the hotel to catch the Magical Express back to the real world.

So, as I said elsewhere, I am gonna hijack a theme, because I think it is more apt here.

Grandfather englanddg's road goes ever, ever on.

And we are gonna make this happen! And we found it Papa, we found the happy ending...

I'll add, my sister and her fiance may also be chiming in. A three person trip report! ODD!

Updates soon! <grin> Cheers!

Last edited:

lbrad

He retired a Lt. Col.

I wish I had "connections" ... unfortunately I do not. I believe it is pure LUCK!
They say you MUST BE AT CITY HALL FIRST & request to be Honorary Veteran for the day.
I hope you are able to get there VERY EARLY!!! Maybe plan an early breakfast in MK - before park opening - and head straight to City Hall !!!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
I wish I had "connections" ... unfortunately I do not. I believe it is pure LUCK!
They say you MUST BE AT CITY HALL FIRST & request to be Honorary Veteran for the day.
I hope you are able to get there VERY EARLY!!! Maybe plan an early breakfast in MK - before park opening - and head straight to City Hall !!!
Sounds like a plan. He loves Crystal Palace, so I'll do an early ADR!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
I've been chatting with my grandfather...and while I'm behind on wrapping up not only the last two days of my last trip report (not to mention the videos)...I'm already anticipating my next one...

He's going to isolate on his NAS (drobo) the dump of all the Disneyland / WDW pictures / Home Movies he has in his slide/photo collection that my parents and I paid to have digitized for him a few Christmases ago. He's spent the last 2 years going through them, and he says he has them pretty well cataloged by now.

And, I've decided to do a montage for our trip (like I do every trip)...starting with early photos of a much younger him and me...and whatever limited VHS video he has... Pictures and video of me and my sister growing up, and him sharing (indoctrinating!) us!

I've been shopping for a song...and I think this is right.

Life in Technicolor II + the Escapist

I read the lyrics (I like to do so for montage videos, to be sure they don't say something I don't intend, which has cut out a LOT of good songs... :p)

I think, for a child of the Cold War (which I was, and my father was...I went to East Germany, and spent 4 years in W. Germany where my sister was born...it was scary, and something that moving back to the US...wasn't well understood by most of my 4th or 5th grade peers...especially once I left DODS schools and went back to public schools in NOVA...)

Anyhow, I think the lyrics are apt...

"There's a wild wind blowing,
Down the corner of my street
Every night there the headlights are glowing

Theres a cold war coming,
On the radio I heard
Baby it's a violent world

Oh love don't let me go
Won't you take me where the streetlights glow
I could hear it coming
I could hear the sirens sound
Now my feet won't touch the ground

Time came a-creepin'
Oh and time's a loaded gun
Every road is a ray of light
It goes o-o-on
Time only can lead you on
Still it's such a beautiful night

Oh love don't let me go
Won't you take me where the streetlights glow

I could hear it coming
Like a serenade of sound
Now my feet won't touch the ground

Gravity release me,
And dont ever hold me down
Now my feet won't touch the ground."

...and...

"And in the end
We lie awake
And we dream
We're making our escape

And in the end
We lie awake
And we dream
We're making our escape
"

Yes...yes...this is Disney...

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
I talked to my Dad today (Army COL RET) about my plans to make Grandfather the Vet of the Day.

He's putting together a small list of details of his service (the only thing I know is that he's retired from 3 of the five services...that's...fairly rare. It has to do with the fact he went from the Navy to the Army Air Corps, which then became the Air Force, which is what he ultimately retired from).

Anyhow, he said he's registered him with the national Navy memorial.

Look what I found on the Navy Log website!

35528.jpg

Hi 18 year old Grandfather!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
So, trip update.

My kid probably will not be able to make it due to school schedules and end of year testing. My sister and her fiance will also not be joining us, as she has work conflicts, and since she's self-employed, she really needs to take contracts as they come.

I have moved the trip from May 1 to May 13. We are going to be staying Club Level at the Contemporary from May 13 to May 16.

A few reasons for this. First, it seems that they will be doing construction at the Polynesian during the period we plan to go, and I don't want to have to deal with that.

Second...it's appropriate. This is very likely my Grandfather's last trip to the world. Fitting, because he was there in December, 1971, with my grandmother, my father, and my uncle. It was the first WDW hotel he stayed in. It's fitting it's the last.

We'll have club level theme park views, perfect for fireworks! And, having just done this experience for one night with the kiddo in August, I know we can have a fun dessert party of our own there with the free club level goodies!

Due to the date shifts, I cancelled all our ADRs. I'm going to rebook sometime this week.

So, new plans...

May 12 - My parents will bring my grandfather to Atlanta and we will meet for a nice dinner together. They'll crash in a hotel near here (I don't have the room for 3 50+ adults in my apartment to stay comfortably).

May 13 - We'll meet again in the morning and head to the Atlanta Airport. My parents will park in the hourly parking near the terminal and help us get checked in and we'll have an early breakfast there together (my task is to decide where).

Grandfather and I will fly first class (probably Airtran) to MCO and arrive mid morning.

Magical Express to Contemporary. I have 5 day tickets (on discount through Disney), so I got 5 days for the price of 4, and so I added the non-expire option. However, I may change this in the future as it turns out my parents have an old paper ticket to burn, I still have a non-expire day left over on two old tickets, etc...so...I may flip this around some in the coming weeks. But, for now, I think it's a decent deal. I left the park-hopping option.

As a side note, I also dropped our Dining Plan down a notch. I normally go with the Deluxe, but after reviewing my Grandfather's diet with him and my much more logically minded mother...that's overkill. And, presenting him with food options rather than what he wants/should eat isn't the best idea. So, one table service, one quick service and one snack a day. I may still drop the Dining Plan altogether before the trip, but for now, this works.

We'll check in and lounge around the room for a bit before heading off to Magic Kingdom. Call it an early day and watch fireworks from the hotel balcony.

May 14 - Up for grabs. Probably EPCOT.

May 15 - Up for grabs. Probably a mix of EPCOT in the morning and Magic Kingdom in the evening. This is the day, if I can, that I'll try and get him to be Vet of the Day. However, I will be hitting up Guest Services each day of our stay outside of the last...just to try and be sure it happens.

May 16 - Magic Kingdom for breakfast. Travel back to ATL where my parents will meet us again. We'll do something as a family that night (not sure what) and the next morning they'll take him back home to Augusta.

It's a short trip, but right now we all think the plans are well suited for him. Hollywood Studios (he still calls it MGM) and Animal Kingdom are not very interesting to him. Magic Kingdom and EPCOT Center (as he still calls the latter) are his parks. So, that's where we will focus our time.

A fitting final trip.

DisneyDebNJ

BEST...PLAN....EVER!!! You had me teary eyed reading this!!! No doubt, with your big heart and thoughtfulness, Uncle Walt will make sure you are granted many doses of pixie dust! After your fabulous trip, I would send your video montage to Disney! I am so excited for you both!!

DisneyDebNJ

You rang again??? :cool:

Oh yes. I will sing the praises of the LapuLapu. The drink is so yummy-licious but the best is scraping the pineapple innards afterwards. Ask for a spoon. Gets messy when you try to get your face pressed down in there to gnaw the insides of the pineapple. Also, be sure to test the waters carefully. Drink 1 then get up and walk before you order another. They can be a bit sneaky. ;)

Happy New Years! :inlove:
Sigh..... Lapu Lapu... now that SCREAMS Disney vacation to me ;)

DisneyDebNJ

I'm hoping to find something equally killer at Trader Sam's/Disneyland Hotel. I shall keep my Disney-peeps informed. :cool:
Believe it or not, Lapu Lapus are even better with a side car of Malibu Rum!! (Sip, pour, sip... slowly....) You can only do one though LOL. I attempted two .. ONCE... ate dinner, hit the monorail to go back to our resort, then when we got to MK, it hit me.. we were staying at the Poly!! LOL

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Roads go ever ever on, to the lands beyond the sea.
On a white ship will I sail, watching shadows part for me.

Greaving havens grey with rain,
Now that years have slipped away.
Leaving friends with gentle pain,
As they start another day.

Roads I traveled, I must lead,
As I've turned the final bend.
Weep not empty tears but greed,
As the road comes to an end.

It's so easy not to try,
Let the world go drifting by.
If you let the world say hello...
You won't have to say goodbye.

If you never say hello, you won't have to say goodbye...

Read that...

Soon, Papa, soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom