Trip Report Christmas Wish - Grandfather's Road Goes Ever Ever On

So, this is a Pre-Trip report / Trip Report...I think it's best to keep it all together for this trip as it will be a short visit (by my standards), and I already have a "pre-trip" planning thread going here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/christmas-wish-trip-with-an-80-year-old-man-advice-needed.878171/

I like to start these threads once I've made the Down Payment on the trip, and I have as of today. Of course, I will be trip reporting this for you all to follow along...and I must say, this trip will be different...very different, from any trip I've ever had before.

That being said, lets start with some introductions and back story!

I'm englanddg...

...and my kiddo is KK. Some of you may know us!

We...are Disnerds.

This trip will include my sister Erin

(better picture coming, this is from her Carolina Crown days)

21223_512.jpg

And her fiance Tyler

<sorry, no picture...but imagine a buff handsome dude...I'll put in a picture later>

And of course, my Grandfather...

Yes, the man can rock a kilt. His health is faltering though...and we'll probably need to have him in a wheelchair or an ECV for the trip. I plan to rent from Walker Rentals...

So, more backstory. My sister, her fiance and I carpooled for Christmas Day in Augusta with our Parents and Grandparents. The day was wonderful! We had a blast.

During the family festivities...my Grandfather pulled me aside and asked...no begged...that I take him to Disneyworld for "one last trip".

His health is failing, but he still has a few good years left statistically. But, again statistically (he used to be on the CPA exam board, this is the world he lives in)...statistically, this is his best "final" year to go.

While he mumbled in my ear that I was the only one (because, obviously, I'm the most obsessed with Disney in the family) who would "take him", all I could hear was this...

The man...no, the patriarch...of our family...wants to go back...

A veteran of WWII, a retired military man, a gentleman and a scholar.

Tears welled in my eyes, as this is the same man who took my father to Disneyland as a kid, the same man who was there and supported the early Disneyworld. He loves Disney, loved Walt, and instilled it in our family culture (my parents honeymooned there, at Contemporary, with a then 5 year old me). His resume of Disney trips would put anyone but a long term employee to shame! He's been easily hundreds of times, and tried to experience all he could whilst there (not just the big rides or attractions)...

So, he wants to go back, one last time...a farewell tour!

One last trip, and it will be GLORIOUS! So, since I hitched a ride with my sister from Atlanta to Augusta to go see them for the holidays, on the way back...she and her fiance and I got to talking...

And this is what we came up with.

A 5 day trip in May (we don't want to wait too long)...from at least 5/1 until 5/5...

I'll invite his only living great-grandchild (my kid) and bring her along so he can see the "world" through her eyes on the trip. We figure with one middle 30s guy (me) and two under 30s (them) we'll be able to keep up with the two of them.

We booked Polynesian Resort for that timeframe, club level (grandfather always wanted that silver spoon!)...Theme Park View.

We figure that at least one night we can watch the Wishes fireworks from the hotel, with the theme piped in from the TV...it's a nice low key night with a great spectacular. I recently did this at Contemporary, and I think it's a great way to see the fireworks, and a wonderful last trip experience!

So, moving on...

The itinerary is:

4/30 - I fly to DC and pick up the kid, late flight to Orlando. Sister, her fiance and my Grandfather fly out of Augusta, and arrive in Orlando earlier. We all crash together at the MCO airport hotel (still up in the air, may just add an extra night at Disney)

5/1 - Magic Kingdom, lunch wherever (knowing Grandfather he'll want to watch Comic Ray, he always loved that venue). Dinner at Cindy's Royal Table. Wishes Dessert Party for fireworks!

5/2 - Split day. EPCOT in the morning with lunch at Coral Reef. Time back at the hotel and then Jikos for dinner...maybe even Grandfather treating us to a limo service for transit! (fancy schmancy!)

5/3 - Open morning. Afternoon at the hotel. Dinner at Mama Melrose with the Fantasmic seating package.

5/4 - Open morning. Probably Hollywood Studios or Animal Kingdom. Lunch where ever. Dinner at Rose and Crown for Illuminations.

5/5 - Breakfast at Crystal Palace. 3p Parade and then off to the hotel to catch the Magical Express back to the real world.

So, as I said elsewhere, I am gonna hijack a theme, because I think it is more apt here.

Grandfather englanddg's road goes ever, ever on.

And we are gonna make this happen! And we found it Papa, we found the happy ending...

I'll add, my sister and her fiance may also be chiming in. A three person trip report! ODD!

Updates soon! <grin> Cheers!

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Two things:

Absolutely GREAT idea! A wonderful honour for such an amazing man.

You're timing is exquisite! As it happens, I'll be arriving 4/30 and leaving 5/5... Maybe if you've tucked everyone in early-ish and aren't totally exhausted yourself, one night we can grab a drink. ;) If not, I'll keep an eye out and at least say a quick "Hi" if I see you.
Sure! I have on my list to get a Lapu Lapu...never had one! (Blasphemy, I know!)

I forget who goes on and on about how good they are... @sweetpee_1993 I think, but from the descriptions it looks scrumdiddlyumtious!

sweetpee_1993

Sure! I have on my list to get a Lapu Lapu...never had one! (Blasphemy, I know!)

I forget who goes on and on about how good they are... @sweetpee_1993 I think, but from the descriptions it looks scrumdiddlyumtious!
You rang again??? :cool:

Oh yes. I will sing the praises of the LapuLapu. The drink is so yummy-licious but the best is scraping the pineapple innards afterwards. Ask for a spoon. Gets messy when you try to get your face pressed down in there to gnaw the insides of the pineapple. Also, be sure to test the waters carefully. Drink 1 then get up and walk before you order another. They can be a bit sneaky. ;)

Happy New Years! :inlove:

PolynesianPrincess

Love this!! How awesome to take your grandfather back for one final tour of WDW! And even MORE exciting that your daughter can go too :)

Side note, Carolina Crown! I saw them perform at the DCI Finals in Denver in 2004. My friend was the drum major for the Boston Crusaders but Carolina Crown had one of my FAVORITE shows that year, Bohemia!! :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Love this!! How awesome to take your grandfather back for one final tour of WDW! And even MORE exciting that your daughter can go too :)

Side note, Carolina Crown! I saw them perform at the DCI Finals in Denver in 2004. My friend was the drum major for the Boston Crusaders but Carolina Crown had one of my FAVORITE shows that year, Bohemia!! :)
If you remember the modern dance soloist in Bohemia, that was my sister.

lbrad

He will LOVE it. Maybe slip a note to the Voices before their set and see if they'll bring him up for the national anthem, bring a vet. That would be one helluva magical moment.

Be sure to be at Magic Kingdom for the Flag Retreat!!! Every day at 5 pm (in the square at the entrance)!!!
Your Grand pop will LOVE it!!! He could be the "Honorary Veteran" for the day:happy:
You MUST GO to City Hall FIRST THING & be the FIRST to ask (that day) ... GOOD LUCK

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom