Christmas Parade without Regis

WDWScottieBoy

I went to the parade taping each day last year and I can tell you Regis is definitely not the nicest guy (Kelly's not THAT nice but she would at least recognize the guests).

There were many times, during commercial breaks, that everyone would scream for Kelly and Regis, and Regis would rarey if ever turn around, where Kelly would at least turn around, but fake smile/wave at everyone.

I agree though with Paul, let's get someone new...Carrie Underwood possibly?!?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Original Poster
I went to the parade taping each day last year and I can tell you Regis is definitely not the nicest guy (Kelly's not THAT nice but she would at least recognize the guests).

There were many times, during commercial breaks, that everyone would scream for Kelly and Regis, and Regis would rarey if ever turn around, where Kelly would at least turn around, but fake smile/wave at everyone.

I agree though with Paul, let's get someone new...Carrie Underwood possibly?!?

Great suggestion. Maybe team her up with Raven Simone.

On a side note....Scottie, we are bringing Devin with us in January now. :D

Chape19714

You'd have my vote, but it's not gonna happen due to contracts. Maybe he'll retire, and we'll get someone new. Maybe Stacy from the Top 7 :lol: .

Wilt Dasney

Heh. Can't say I blame Regis. Having hundreds of people yell at me while I was trying to work just to get me to look in their direction would be über-annoying.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Original Poster
Heh. Can't say I blame Regis. Having hundreds of people yell at me while I was trying to work just to get me to look in their direction would be über-annoying.

I could see that, but he also chose the line of work he is in. He is a star. When you are a star in public, you really should acknowledge your fans and at least be cordial. The fans made him. The fans can break him.

Red Line

I would look at it this way...

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas parade with Regis and Kelly.

OR....

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas parade with Nemo and friends.

:lol:

maelstrom

I personally do not have a problem with Regis. He's kind of a staple. I'm not a big fan of Kelly, though.

Like someone else said, if they got a new host, maybe a celebrity who loves Disney. I can't really see John Stamos hosting the parade, though. I vote for Gary Sinise. For everything. :lookaroun Or maybe have a different host every year. I could definately see Johnny Depp hosting it. But I think that despite his popularity in PotC, it wouldn't go over very well. He isn't wholesome enough.

Plutoboy

Regis is a great guy!!!!! On the other hand Kelly R. is a real witch!!! A few years ago Regis had to film part of the parade by himself because of weather problems that kept Kelly from getting to Orlando on time. Regis paid a visit to all the character cast members that were in shade control.... a backstage cooling area (if you could call it that) for the characters and greeters on Main Street. He came into Shade Control...and said hello everyone talked to us a little bit and left when they were ready for him. I think he gets the bad rap just because of how he acts on tv.

Wilt Dasney

Why do we need a set of hired tongues to yak away during the parade anyway?

"Here comes Mickey."
"Here comes Raven Symone."
"Here come some snowmen."

The people watching the parade in person somehow manage to know what's going on without somebody explaining the whole thing to them.

prberk

No matter who hosts, I think that the "fakey" part of it all now is simply the fact that it is pre-recorded. That only started around 1997 (the first year I was there on Christmas -- and it was an obvious change).

Before that it was a LIVE parade at 10 am on Christmas morning. Wonderful, and much more fun to watch.

This way is cheaper to produce, I suppose, but really comes across as a big commercial.

I think if they had not bough ABC (which happened just before the change), ABC would be demanding the live parade and less of a slick, sometimes empty-feeling infomercial about WDW as the parade seems today, in my opinion.

Live is always more electric.

As for hosts, I like Regis OK; but I do agree that as a professional entertainer and host (as opposed to actor), he should be very friendly with the audience in person. If we replaced him, I could also see Mr. Van and Julie Andrews, even with a visit from some younger folks like Raven. Gary Senise would also work, as would anyone doing the Candlelight Processional narration....

Paul

mjc1984

the reason they don't do the parade live anymore is because one year it poured on x-mas morning and they basically had no parade expect for taped segments, but no floats. I kinda wish they would get someone else beside regis and kelly, but who else would fit the "disney image" and beside their show is owned by Disney, so they prob. have to host the show. I meet Kelly once in Philadelphia and here and her husband Mark Consoulus were extermly nice and Friendly.

BRING ON CARRIE UNDERWOOD, I would love to see carrie and host with someone like Tim Allen or hows about Hayden Panettiere, I mean regis is ok but its getting really old and starting to get boring. Hey thought comes to mind Jim Brickman and Carrie Underwood or Hayden Panettiere that would be cool. But I have to agree that they need more parade and less talking.

Piebald

specifics? there have been two instances that i've seen regis and rosie be very rude to guests. i'm not going to sit here and type up the whole story to justify why i think they both suck.... but really quickly...

awhile ago rosie and her child were walking around the studios (by themselves) and a guest approached her nicely and said something like "i dont mean to bother you but i am such a big fan" and rosie grabbed her kid, mumbled an obscenity and walked the other way. :eek:

Plutoboy

I can see the point to both arguments interms of whether or not It be Regis, Rosie or any celebrity was perceived to be rude to another guest in the park. I look at it this way that when they are in the parks walking around then they are a guest just like anyone else. They have come to WDW on vacation or they have been asked to come there and make an appearance....not to stop and do pictures or autographs....again unless it is a formal set-up through Disney. As cast members there has always been a long standing policy of leaving the celebrities alone....do not ask for autographs or pictures from them. The only exception was if they offered and then it was okay......otherwise bothering a celebrity was grounds for termination.

ON the flip side I can see that if they are going to put themselves in the spotlight then they need to expect to get the attention and be appreciative. As another poster said the fans made you and they can break you.

One quick note...when I was in California in August going to Disneyland I stood right next to Henry Winkler at LAX waiting for our luggages of all things. I didn't even realize it was him and he hardly looked up (probably for the fear of being recognized). Once we did notice we just gave a smile and nod to him which he seemed to appreciate. Long story short...as we waited for our shuttle to take us to the Anaheim area Henry Winkler was waiting on his ride (sounds odd for a celebrity to get stood up and he was not happy). With virtually no one around he came over to us and said" Thank you for respecting my privacy...would you kids like a picture?" Ofcourse we said
yes and got what is probably the best souvenir that money could not buy from our trip.

joshwill

I just think he is a great man--- and besides that... he is one of the most recognizable faces on television. Everyone knows him. He is funny, and isn't afraid of saying something that will make him sound stupid. I just like him:)

hes funny? i guess i missed that particular show :D

what made him a "great" man?

awalkinthepark

I think people are just getting a little bored with the same parade year after year....changing hosts is not really going to change the parade..kwim? I may take the kids over for the taping this year...but we pretty much stopped watching it Xmas day because it's the same thing.....performance, floats, new attraction segment, new disney vacation thing...i.e. Magical Gatherings....walk around host like Wayne Brady(I know this was a few years ago) interviewing large families in their matching $100 Disney ensembles Christmas sweatshirts and hats. Maybe my kids will get excited enough to watch it this year because perhaps they will recognize something that they see on our frequent visits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom