Christmas Holidays Banner

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
WDWMAGIC is now in full Christmas Holidays mode!

If anyone is having problems running the animation on a slower machine, you can choose any style (from the selection box in the bottom left corner) other than Blue Daylight Widescreen Express, to return to the non-holiday banner.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays everyone!! :xmas:

Atlantix2000

It does look good, but I've had to turn it off. IE was using 99% of my CPU to animate the flash. It's funny to watch how it slows down when multiple windows are open. My machine is a PIII 600MHz which isn't THAT old! The no flash style only effects the forums though. Is there a way to turn it off on the main (news) page? I always look there first.

--A2K

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Atlantix2000 said:
It does look good, but I've had to turn it off. IE was using 99% of my CPU to animate the flash. It's funny to watch how it slows down when multiple windows are open. My machine is a PIII 600MHz which isn't THAT old! The no flash style only effects the forums though. Is there a way to turn it off on the main (news) page? I always look there first.

--A2K

The PIII 600 was made October 1999 to July 2001, so thats over 5 years ago! In computing, that's a liftime! ;)
Sorry its running slow for you. I try to make things work as well as I can on older platforms, but I do have to strike a balance, and I do lean towards getting things to work best on machines that are 1 - 2 years old.

You could try right clicking on the flash, and selecting Quality, LOW. That will help a little. :)

Computer Magic

wdwmagic said:
If anyone is having problems running the animation on a slower machine, you can choose any style (from the selection box in the bottom left corner) other than Blue Daylight Widescreen Express, to return to the non-holiday banner.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays everyone!! :xmas:
that goes for those on dial-up...looks at Christy :lookaroun

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Computer Magic said:
that goes for those on dial-up...looks at Christy :lookaroun

It shouldnt really make any difference what speed your connection is. The new banner isnt any bigger in terms of data size. The poeple who are affected will be those with slower CPUs in their PC, as the processing of the snow is a little processor intensive.

ogryn

wdwmagic said:
The PIII 600 was made October 1999 to July 2001, so thats over 5 years ago! In computing, that's a liftime! ;)
Sorry its running slow for you. I try to make things work as well as I can on older platforms, but I do have to strike a balance, and I do lean towards getting things to work best on machines that are 1 - 2 years old.

You could try right clicking on the flash, and selecting Quality, LOW. That will help a little. :)

Did you ever get round to trying out the removal of
Code:
 wmode="transparent"
from the flash embed, as last time I tried a testcase it gave a large performance boost to Firefox users at least? :)

Computer Magic

wdwmagic said:
It shouldnt really make any difference what speed your connection is. The new banner isnt any bigger in terms of data size. The poeple who are affected will be those with slower CPUs in their PC, as the processing of the snow is a little processor intensive.
:sohappy: :sohappy: Even the dial up folks can enjoy the holiday spirits

MouseMadness

God bless us, every one :eek:

:lol:

Even if it was slower, I would still keep it. It's too pretty. :) Besides, it's not like I have anything better to do. :wave: :lookaroun

Atlantix2000

wdwmagic said:

So...could you tell my boss I need a new computer? I'd much appreciate it!

The tip on setting the quality to low sort of helps. The snow falls really fast now and the computer is still between 97-99% CPU usage but seems much more responsive. My home machine (1.2GHz AMD) is exactly the same.

I've never worked with Flash but as a computer programmer, I have a couple questions/suggestions:
Is Flash animation done by writing code to calculate the snowfall or is it just cycling images as fast as it can?
In either case, is there a delay function that can be put between frames to release processing power to the computer?
Finally, if it is calculating the animation, does it have to recalculate it every time or is there a way to store the results so once the sequence starts over it just remembers what it did?

--A2K

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom