Christmas gifts nightmares!

Maria

Original Poster
The time has come and you know it... the nightmare to find Christmas presents has begun...
You have many people to give gifts to, but luckily, someone has the great idea of making a gift exchange at the office, in your big family, among your group of friends, at the gym, you name it!
So, there are many ways to do it, some with a name drawing (which makes things a bit easier) or by playing with cards (love that system! lots of fun) or something like that so you have to come with a present that anyone could get, and here comes the difficult part... when you have to choose something nice that anyone would like and you won´t see that bummed face when they open yours.
So.... what to give?

Please give me some ideas! LOL :D I have a group of coworkers and a group of friends who have decided to do that. What are your ideas of gifts anyone could use? To make it easier (what???), they are all women :rolleyes: hehe ;)

I think this thread could be helpful for many people... thanks for your ideas!

Computer Magic

It's hard to jump into a reply first.

Well, 80% of my employees are women and have bought X-mas gifts for them every year. Believe me, it's not an easy task picking out a gift for 11 women. I prefer not to end up in HR because the gift becomes misinterpreted :). Their gifts are very similar with a slight twist for individuality.

I have brought gifts from Bath and Body Works and Yankee Candles. Things Remember is one of my favorites for employees and coworkers. My employees have their own desks so something for their desk works well. You can have it engraved later if it's a grab bag.

Maria

Original Poster
Woody13 said:
How about a nice electronic bathroom scale? Women really like to keep track of their weight.:zipit:
LOL - that would certainly be an unforgettable gift!

DisneyPhD

For the most part I don't like to shop early because once I buy something I want to give it to them right away. (or I just get more later, making Christmas cost twice as much!)

Also in our family they "draw names" and we never get around to doing that when early, so you never know who you are are buying for. Often is is just and exchange of Borders (books and music store) gift certificate. What is the fun in that?

I made a few on line purchaces lately. One was to the oriental trading company. They sell lots of small things for kids toys and some fun other gifts. It is good for groups and craft ideas. (especailly kids)http://www.orientaltrading.com if you use the Keycode ke0560409a you get 20% off and free shipping.

The other thing I ordered for small gifts to people is from this web site

http://www.sugardaisy.com/serendipity3.html

It is frozen hot chocholate mix from serendipity 3 in new york. I must admit I saw it on Opera and it looked so good. I got 12 packets to give as small gifts (and a few to eat myself.) However they are on back order so hopefully they will come in time for Christmas.

Anyway those are my ideas,

Good luck

Mrs. PhD

Erika

I've just bookmarked the airzooka :lol:

Maria, cute pajamas always seem to go over well. Victoria's Secret usually has some good sales going on around the holidays. If there is a big difference in size from one person to another within your group then it's probably not a good idea.

I bought an oil burner one year for our office grab bag and it was a big hit. I got it at The Body Shop, although I just checked and their online store seems to have only the oils, no burner. They do have a lot of other nice gift sets though: http://bodyshop.com

I have also found a LOT of good gifts at Pier 1. http://www.pier1.com/home.asp Don't overlook the kitchen section because they have a lot of cute stuff for entertaining. Someone got me a pitcher & 4 martini glasses from there one year and I love them.

barnum42

Bah Humbug. The pressures put on people to buy presents for everyone they know or are related to is another reason I dislike Christmas. It’s another bit of unnecessary stress.

If Christmas is supposed to be about peace and goodwill then show it with your presence, not your presents.

At my work we do "secret santa" where you draw a name from the hat and get them a small gift with a £5 limit. That way you can have a bit of a chuckle.

Erika

barnum42 said:
Bah Humbug. The pressures put on people to buy presents for everyone they know or are related to is another reason I dislike Christmas. It’s another bit of unnecessary stress.

If Christmas is supposed to be about peace and goodwill then show it with your presence, not your presents.

Very good point. Although I do love buying things for people!!! I shop year-round and stash stuff in the closet. I use to just buy things for no reason and give them out, but I've started forcing myself to save them for Christmas- life is much less expensive this way. But when I'm at the store and something screams somebody's name, I feel like I have to buy it!

My name is Erika and I'm a consumer !

TAC

One of the catalog's that my wife gets, was from a company that sells "cookie cakes" and cookie trees. You could get them decorated any way you wanted to, or have them themed. They also had lollipop trees, etc.

If you are interested, I'll see if I can dig up the catalog for the name.

:wave:

pinkrose

A friend of mine sells Tastefully Simple. This stuff is awsome! Each item has multipule uses. It makes great gifts for people who love great food, but don't want to spend alot of time in the kitchen. I'm putting together a basket for my parents and I'm putting some of this stuff.

http://www.tastefullysimple.com/home.aspx

stranger

maelstrom said:
Anything with a pretty scent from Bath & Body Works or similar.

I do like the idea of a gift from Bath and Body Works or Victoria Secret. They sell very pretty gift bags (that can be used as purses) with scented lotions, soap and body spray.

The Mom

Premium Member
Ornament exchanges go over well around here. Just put a min/max on the amount spent. I just finished decorating a tree at my son's school of ornaments made/purchased by teachers and staff that will be sold. Some of them are gorgeous!!! (Which the other committee people bought BEFORE the fair opened.) The prices (which some people forgot to remove) ranged from $1.50-$25.

Wckd Queen

The "hot" gift in my office secret santa last year was instant lotto tickets :lol: The ones who got them (I was one :D ) were delighted, and the ones who didn't were jealous!

For the record..only Alice won anything, $5. Out of like $60 worth of tickets! :fork:

Computer Magic

The Mom said:
Ornament exchanges go over well around here. Just put a min/max on the amount spent. I just finished decorating a tree at my son's school of ornaments made/purchased by teachers and staff that will be sold. Some of them are gorgeous!!! (Which the other committee people bought BEFORE the fair opened.) The prices (which some people forgot to remove) ranged from $1.50-$25.
That's a very good thought. Hallmark has a wide range of Ornaments and prices. They sell Disney ornaments that are pretty nice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom