News Christine McCarthy to step down from her role as Chief Financial Officer

mf1972

myself reading the start of this thread
IMG_3686.jpeg

Brian

The company is OBLIGATED to give her FMLA. Obviously no C-level wants that as the impact to their career is major and regaining your seat is complex - but the 'you don't get...' line makes no sense to me.
As a C-suite executive, McCarthy is considered a "key employee." Restoration to one's job may be denied to key employees should the company deem that restoration would cause "substantial and grievous economic injury to the company." § 825.218

Reading between the lines, I would guess that they reached an agreement to provide her with her FMLA leave and allow her to stay on in limited capacity through 2024, while giving up the CFO spot.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
A lot of nasty replies in this thread, a shame we have people in the Disney community who are nothing more than vile cretins. This woman has had no impact in my life whatsoever, so I wish her nothing but the best in her post-Disney life. Whatever personal issues she's dealing with, I hope she finds peace and solace in her new journey.

StarWarsGirl

I just...

If Bob Chapek stepped down from CEO due to a medical leave, I firmly believe tons would be cheering. Not because of his hypothetical health issues, but because he was terrible at the position.

I don't understand how people have conflated someone's health and their job.
As a cancer survivor, I would not be cheering if Chapek had to step down because of a cancer diagnosis. It's a horrible, horrible disease. I have no opinion on this woman's performance, but I think it's terrible how people are calling her "horrible woman" and they're celebrating that she's stepping down for health reasons, regardless of how you feel about her performance.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
If you are a Disney stockholder or were a regular customer during her tenure, she has.
I've been going to WDW since 1996 and nothing she has done during her tenure has negatively impacted me. In fact I was just there three weeks ago and had one of the best visits ever. This is just another idiotic smear campaign by some Peter Pan adults who haven't seemed to grasp that a multi-billion dollar company doesn't bow down and cater to them. People like you are so unserious, I can't help but laugh hysterically. Stay pressed and bitter.

FettFan

but I think it's terrible how people are calling her "horrible woman"

The reason for that is because she made a flippant comment about overweight park visitors during an earnings call.

Was bad enough to announce that food servings in the parks were going to be cut down with raised prices (shrinkflation), but then she crossed the line when she said...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't know of anything that CMc was responsible for in order to grade her tenure as good or bad, except for facilitating Chapek's firing, which I would think people here would be applauding.

The purchase of Fox? I applaud that. But I'm not giving Christine credit for it. That was an Iger+Board decision.

What was she responsible for that can be pinned on her alone that would indicate she was bad at her job?

FettFan

I've been going to WDW since 1996 and nothing she has done during her tenure has negatively impacted me. In fact I was just there three weeks ago and had one of the best visits ever. This is just another idiotic smear campaign by some Peter Pan adults who haven't seemed to grasp that a multi-billion dollar company doesn't bow down and cater to them. People like you are so unserious, I can't help but laugh hysterically. Stay pressed and bitter.

Is it also an "idiotic smear" that under her tenure, Disney has been hell-bent on squeezing every penny they can from their customers because she helped Bob go on a drunken rampage with the company credit card?

Disney Analyst

I don't know of anything that CMc was responsible for in order to grade her tenure as good or bad, except for facilitating Chapek's firing, which I would think people here would be applauding.

The purchase of Fox? I applaud that. But I'm not giving Christine credit for it. That was an Iger+Board decision.

What was she responsible for that can be pinned on her alone that would indicate she was bad at her job?

I also would love to know...

People mostly seem to hate her for a snarky comment she made, that was clearly in poor taste, and likely her attempt to inject humour. Again all done insanely poorly and distastefully.

But it's not like she's Kim Jong un, although some on here make her sound like the devil apparent.

Last edited:

FettFan

Not so much the purchase of Fox in itself, but the facts that...
A. Fox was bought at a heavily inflated price
B. McCarthy was charged with finding ways to smooth over that purchase, chiefly through cutting staff, cutting services, and raising prices.

In any sensible business, she (along with most of the higher ups, mind you) would have been shown the door some time ago.

Sadly, megacorporations are all living in Opposite Land where people can almost singlehanded tank a company and still get millions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom