choosing a photosharing site

Gorjus

Original Poster
I'm running out of room in my WDWMagic Photo Album. I know a lot of you use photosharing sites such as Flickr, SnapFish, PhotoBucket, SmugMug, etc.

Could you please share with me what it is that you like and don't like about the site you have chosen? I'd like feedback before choosing a site. I am going to want a site that has some copyright protection and right click disablng if possible.

mpoppins76

I could use the feedback too. I have all of mine stored on Yahoo Photos, but they're closing in 30 days. :hammer: It looks like they own Flickr, so I'm leaning towards that one.

I can tell you, that I used to use Snapfish (back before I had a digitial and mailed in my film). I went a few months w/out using it and they closed my account...I lost all my pictures. :brick:

Uponastar

I use Photobucket. I never used any other photo sharing site, so I can't make comparisons, but Photobucket is great! I have no complaints about it whatsoever. It's so easy to use. You just browse through the pictures on your computer, select the ones you want to download and click. Once the pics are on the site, you can easily resize them for use here. . .even avatar size! It's a snap! Then when you want to post one here you simply click on the IMG Code that is under each pic. That automatically copies the code and all you need do is paste it in your post here. Couldn't be easier.

tigsmom

I use PhotoBucket only because thats the first one I found out about. I have friends who use SnapFish and I had to sign up for an account just to see their pictures. :shrug:

mpoppins76 I can't believe you lost your photos! Isn't there anyway to reactivate the account?

I always have backup though. I have all my photos printed and then also stored on an external device. I have to learn how to burn photo DVDs.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have been extremely happy with Picasa by Google. The free album allows up to 1GB of storage. They also have paid subscriptions that range from 6GB ($20/year) all the way up to 250GB ($500/year). I am pretty sure you can right click secure your photos and the software they give you for free is incredibly good.

mpoppins76

I use PhotoBucket only because thats the first one I found out about. I have friends who use SnapFish and I had to sign up for an account just to see their pictures. :shrug:

mpoppins76 I can't believe you lost your photos! Isn't there anyway to reactivate the account?

I always have backup though. I have all my photos printed and then also stored on an external device. I have to learn how to burn photo DVDs.
Yeah, I tried back when it happened...they said they could reactivate the account but there was no way to get the pictures back. For me, it wasn't that big of a deal because since I'd been mailing in film, I had the negatives/photos. If I hadn't, like now, that would be really awful.

joanna71985

Flickr annoyed me when I had to use it for school. I use Photobucket, and I love it.

Oh, and Steph- I used Yahoo photos too, and I transfered them to Shutterfly. It works pretty good.

mpoppins76

Flickr annoyed me when I had to use it for school. I use Photobucket, and I love it.

Oh, and Steph- I used Yahoo photos too, and I transfered them to Shutterfly. It works pretty good.
What was annoying about Flickr? Do either Photobucket or Shutterfly require recipients to create an account? Thanks, Jo!

xtimMOOthyx

Flickr annoys me too, because they only allow you to upload so many pictures per month, which sucks....especially because I always take a ton of pictures, and want to share them. I just signed up for Picasa today.

lilclerk

I've got a paid livejournal.com account, which gives me 2GB of photo storage. I can pay for more, but I don't need it yet. I'm only using 30% of it.

enough

I have my own site for pictures - it costs 20/year to host at e-rice.net and has a database (mysql), and you can use PHP. I get 6gb/month of transfer and 500mb of storage.

for pics that i want to share more broadly (forums, etc.) I use photobucket

for more "artistic" shots I publish on flickr (search for monsterbucket)

check this site out for a comparison (pros/cons) of the major photo sharing sites:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/web_photo_sharing_faceoff.php

dreamfinder

Does anyone know about Flickr, if they require people you send pics to, to sign up for an account?

You don't need an account to view pics at Flickr. They will require you to get one if you want to view pictures in multiple sizes, I.E. the original size, but otherwise no account is needed.
You are limited on how much you can upload with a free account, but I think all the big names work that way.

mpoppins76

Flickr annoys me too, because they only allow you to upload so many pictures per month, which sucks....especially because I always take a ton of pictures, and want to share them. I just signed up for Picasa today.
Oh, really?? Good to know, thanks!
I have my own site for pictures - it costs 20/year to host at e-rice.net and has a database (mysql), and you can use PHP. I get 6gb/month of transfer and 500mb of storage.

for pics that i want to share more broadly (forums, etc.) I use photobucket

for more "artistic" shots I publish on flickr (search for monsterbucket)

check this site out for a comparison (pros/cons) of the major photo sharing sites:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/web_photo_sharing_faceoff.php
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom