Choose my Resort for Me

mapsd

1st time to WDW w/ my wife & kids (2 girls, 9 & 7).
Late Jan/early Feb. Staying for 6 nights.
Guessing MK will be visited most.
We like character meals & being near monorail/transportation.

rwdavis2

I've stayed at Contemporary(CR) and Wilderness Lodge (WL) and we like WL the best. The decor and theming just blow away CR. Based on the time of year you are going (we've gone 3 times around those dates) you won't hit any crowds. So if the mid-day break at the hotel is to avoid crowds don't bother, but if it's to rest then it's a good idea. 6 days is a long time at WDW and it's easy to to burn out in 3-4 days without a break.

Based on my experience renting a car may be worthwhile. Getting to/from MK is easy (take the boat from WL or monorail from the other 3) but to MGM and AK driving is much quicker than being at the mercy of the buses. You may want to plan on a day at Universal Studios. Some of the attractions are top-notch and match Disney. But on an overall basis Universal can't match the MK.
Bob

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Just gleaning information.
Budget isn't a big issue for me. Tentative plans are for a deluxe resort w/o concierge service. Location is a factor. We like leaving the park and being in our room shortly after or taking a mid-day siesta.

My initial dilemma was Poly vs Wilderness Lodge. Is Poly $100/night better? Being from the upper Midwest, WL atmosphere is not as unique to us. It seems similar the Great Wolf lodges found around the US.
Is GF too "fancy"? I like wearing shorts and a t-shirt when I'm on vacation with my kids.

Well, there you go, sounds like you've done most of the decision-making yourself!

If siestas are important, I'd humble suggest maybe, just maybe, the Poly would be the best of the MK/monorail resorts, mainly because, while you're on the resort monorail loop, you're also walking distance to the TTC and that monorail. This means you're within walking distance from the monorail to Epcot, AND if you're in the MK and want to get back, you can take either monorail to return to the Poly. Granted, neither monorail should take a hell of a lot of time, but it's nice to have those options. Grand Floridian is very nice, but if you're walking around in a bathing suit or shorts, I assure you, you won't be the only one. Getting slightly more gussied for meals would be nice, but I'm sure you knew that.

An alternate suggestion would be Yacht/Beach Club or Boardwalk. The theming there is vastly different than the Wilderness Lodge, they're within walking distance of each other, AND they're within walking distance (or a boat ride) to both Epcot and MGM. Sounds like you're more set on spending most of your time at MK, so the monorial (or ferry service from WL) would be better, but there's plenty to do at the Epcot resorts for the times you want to get out of the park (and of course, the sand-bottomed pool at Y&BC is the best themed in any of the resorts, almost a mini-water park itself), you have the Boardwalk Midway games and restaurants.

I guess basically,, I stand by my earlier suggestion. www.allearsnet.com. And get the planning video. Talk to the kids about what they expect the trip to be like (also good for making sure expectations aren't too ridiculous, for anyone), and then you'll probably be able to make a better-informed decision.

Upvote 0

Scooter

Stay at Disney's Contemporary Resort.
You can walk to Magic Kingdom in 10 minutes and back to your resort when the park is closing. No waiting for boats or busses at all.
Nothing beats that Monorail running right through the middle of your resort.
Great 4th floor shopping and game room.
Chef Mickey's is a must do meal and you're right there.
Beautiful view from the tower rooms.
Monorail takes to you TTC and ya jump on another monorail and you are at EPCOT.
Very little sitting around waiting for boats and/or busses like ya do at Disney's Wilderness Lodge. I felt trapped when I stayed there.

My 2nd choice would be the Polynesian.
3rd choice is Disney's Grand Floridian.

All 3 are great because of the direct link to the monorail. Saves you lots of time and waiting.

Upvote 0

cabihler

decisions decisions

you did not say what your budget is... if you want to do a deluxe then i would say the polynisian ... with that said my real recommendation is the Caribbean Beach. i have stayed at each of the resorts and the Caribbean Beach is my absolute favorite (i have stayed there some 40 some times). i would recommend that you request either the Aruba or the Martinique section. i believe your kids would love it there and the money you save would really go a long way to get your kids a lot of awesome stuff in downtown disney.

Upvote 0

LoriMistress

There are many factors in choosing your resort. Do you have a budget? Will you be spending more time in the parks or taking breaks at the resort? Are there things that you MUST have at your resort?

Upvote 0

Kingdom WDW

Well, it seems from what I see the Polynesian may fit the bill.

If you stay in a building like Tahiti, you have a 5 minute walk to the TTC and that building also offers lake side views, so you can see Cinderella Castle and the Electrical Water Paegant (I think). It is also very magical, and minutes away from the MK.

If your budget cannot support a hotel like that, from what I hear the Wilderness Lodge might be an excellent choice; it is deluxe, but towards the tail end of it.

If you want to splurge, do the Grand Flo. Literally minutes away from the MK (this is from experience). The pools are kid-friendly and the amenities are plentiful. The restarurants have character meals, and you could always take a bus to all of the other parks, and since the Grand Flo is the last stop (i.e. Park, Wilderness Lodge, Grand Flo, then park).

Hope this helps!
~Kingdom WDW

Upvote 0

MickeyJman06

contemporery,
near MK.
Chef Mickey Character Meals
Monorail to
MK, Polynesian, GF and Transportation Station to epcot
you might get good views of fireworks
pool
and a modle of the disney cruise line

Upvote 0

smk

Poly, got to stay at the Poly. Your girls will love it.

Upvote 0

elabron

I realize that everyone has a Wilderness Lodge fetish....but, if you want to be on the monorail, you're going to have to go Poly, Grand Floridian or Contemporary.

Polynesian has the Lilo and Stitch character breakfast........Contemporary has Chef Mickey's, featuring the most popular Disney characters (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Donald, Chip and Dale). The GF has character dining too, but hey.....it's Mary Poppins.:lookaroun

Yes, Wilderness is freakin' cool.....yes it has the neat boat to MK.....but, if you want monorail and character dining, go Poly or Contemp.
Besides, if you stay at Wilderness Lodge, you may end up eating at the Whispering Canyon!!!:hammer: I NEED KETCHUP!!!!

Upvote 0

cdunbar

I stayed at Wilderness Lodge and was not really impressed, I am intitled to my own opinion, for your family I think the Grand Floridian would be pretty cool I mean it has excellent theming and it offers all kinds of restaurants and special events for little girls there is some kind of a tea party just for little girls! The GF is also the most recent monorail resot to get an overall in the rooms so the rooms would be newer if not Brand New! I mean but this is just my opinion if you think your girls would enjoy Polynesian, which does have a pretty awesome pool in my opinion, I would go for it! But I still think that GF offers this very unique atmosphere!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom