chocolate milk recovery( myth, or truth?)

Texas84

Don't know, but they passed out free ice cold chocolate milk after the Publix Atlanta Half and it was SO GOOD!

bethram

I love a cold glass of Carnation Instant Breakfast (powder) and milk after my long runs on Saturdays, but it's not usually within 30 minutes. I've drank Instant Breakfast for years but it started because I am hypoglycemic and it is an easy way to make sure my blood sugar doesn't get low after a workout. I prefer Instant Breakfast over chocolate syrup for my chocolate milk because it has more vitamins and minerals in it.

I also read about the chocolate milk after a long run in a book a couple years ago. I think it was called "Run Like a Mother," but I'm not positive.

Damn, now I'm craving a glass!

GoofyRacer11

It is true! It's one of the best, if not the best, recovery drinks out there. It has the right ratio of carbs, protein, and fat to speed up recovery. To get the best results, drink it within an hour or less.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
They have handed it out after a few of the half marathons around here as well. I live in the dairy state, so it'll be pushed anyway, but it does taste fantastic, even if it's hot out.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I drink about a gallon a week of chocolate milk. In the mornings, I drink a glass about an hour after working out and with my vitamins, allergy pill and Glucosemine (no more popping joints).

JillC LI

That's what the experts say. I can't speak towards whether it helps my physical recovery, but I love me some ice cold fat free chocolate milk at the end of a tough run! I keep a bottle of it in the fridge at all times, and my family knows not to drink it because I chug straight from the bottle after my runs sometimes! lol

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The chocolate milk recovery drink was an add campaign started by the Dairy Farmers of Canada. Most of the follow up research has been funded by various dairy councils. That of course does not immediately negate the research, but it does raise a red flag. The data however, does not really support the health claims. The main problem is the amount of sugar that most chocolate milk contains and the fact that you need to be a world class athlete for a recovery drink to have much of an effect.

http://www.healthynomics.com/2012/04/sabotage-workout-chocolate-milk/

http://doubtfulnews.com/2012/07/chocolate-milk-sugar-loaded-post-workout-marketing-myth/

Ariel484

It is true! It's one of the best, if not the best, recovery drinks out there. It has the right ratio of carbs, protein, and fat to speed up recovery. To get the best results, drink it within an hour or less.
A sports nutritionist I used to meet with told me this practically word for word. :)

joel_maxwell

The chocolate milk recovery drink was an add campaign started by the Dairy Farmers of Canada. Most of the follow up research has been funded by various dairy councils. That of course does not immediately negate the research, but it does raise a red flag. The data however, does not really support the health claims. The main problem is the amount of sugar that most chocolate milk contains and the fact that you need to be a world class athlete for a recovery drink to have much of an effect.

http://www.healthynomics.com/2012/04/sabotage-workout-chocolate-milk/

http://doubtfulnews.com/2012/07/chocolate-milk-sugar-loaded-post-workout-marketing-myth/
In no way am I shocked by this. I know it has a lot of sugar, and I should have stated a half gallon a week, not gallon. Out of curiosity one day, i bought a Gatorade stage 3 recovery drink. Wow. I thought my teeth were going to rot out. It tasted like a combination of a red bull and a Mountain Dew (if memory serves, its been 20 years) and a little thicker than i would have liked it.

I want to start consuming these products instead of gatorade: http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/heed-sports-drink.he.html?navcat=fuels-energy-drinks

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
You folks know I run ultras. My daily training runs range from 20-30+ miles, and 40-50 milers thrown in every so often. I've experimented with everything, spoken to doctors, nutritionists, sports nutritionists, other experienced ultrarunners, and a doctor of ultra running nutrition and physiology: the verdict is that it simply does not work. Way too much crap for the average runner, and not nearly enough vitamins, minerals, etc... for ultra distance. My nutrition; pre, during and post run is finely tuned, and chocolate milkmwill always remain a nice nostolgic treat, nothing more.

Phonedave

While it is not a recovery drink per se - no protien or fat - I still swear by Vitalyite

http://www.vitalyte.com/products/electrolyte-replacement.html

Carbs, Potassium, and Sodium. And the stuff is isotonic - you can slam a quart of it, and not feel it in your stomach at all.

I hate carrying stuff when I run, but I will at times carry this. I also carry it (in powder form) when I hike. thats when I first encountered it. We were doing a group hike in the Gunks and one of our group was bonking - badly, about 8 miles from the trailhead. One of the other guys pulled out a pack of this stuff, mixed it up, and had him drink it - the results were like night and day.

-dave

joel_maxwell

You folks know I run ultras. My daily training runs range from 20-30+ miles, and 40-50 milers thrown in every so often. I've experimented with everything, spoken to doctors, nutritionists, sports nutritionists, other experienced ultrarunners, and a doctor of ultra running nutrition and physiology: the verdict is that it simply does not work. Way too much crap for the average runner, and not nearly enough vitamins, minerals, etc... for ultra distance. My nutrition; pre, during and post run is finely tuned, and chocolate milkmwill always remain a nice nostolgic treat, nothing more.
It is a good treat. Super cold too.

Zman-ks

A sports nutritionist I used to meet with told me this practically word for word. :)
75.gif

Sweet! :)

LindsayLoves

In no way am I shocked by this. I know it has a lot of sugar, and I should have stated a half gallon a week, not gallon. Out of curiosity one day, i bought a Gatorade stage 3 recovery drink. Wow. I thought my teeth were going to rot out. It tasted like a combination of a red bull and a Mountain Dew (if memory serves, its been 20 years) and a little thicker than i would have liked it.

I want to start consuming these products instead of gatorade: http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/heed-sports-drink.he.html?navcat=fuels-energy-drinks

Yeah I tried some of that stage 3 Gatorade stuff with the protein in and almost spit it back out, no beuno!

I use nuun for my hydration needs that go beyond water, and I love it. But I may have to look into this chocolate milk deal for recovery, especially if I do a long run that ends in Manhattan - every bodega in the city carries chocolate milk.

GoofyRacer11

Well I have developed a friendly relationship with a sports nutritionist that works at the Cleveland Clinic so I get a lot of information from her. Also, Food and physical fitness are my two biggest hobbies so I'm knowledgeable in both areas!

Ariel484

Well I have developed a friendly relationship with a sports nutritionist that works at the Cleveland Clinic so I get a lot of information from her. Also, Food and physical fitness are my two biggest hobbies so I'm knowledgeable in both areas!
I bet we're talking about the same person!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom