China's Richest Man Wants to Crush Disney

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
The title of the article as I saw it was "China's richest man has a $9 billion plan to crush Disney".

For crying out loud. If I goofed and offended here by simply saying "China Man" in the title then I think I need to just give up on trying.
I don't find it any more offensive than "Florida Man," as in "Florida Man Arrested With 24 Pounds Of Fentanyl" or "Florida Man Eaten By Shark While Surfing During Hurricane."
Darn it! Sucked in by another ZOMBIE THREAD!

Bairstow

That's hysterical! As a patriotic American, I'm thrilled that this Chinese businessman met his match and was defeated in his attempt to beat Disney. He lost badly.

Mr. Jianlin, please call your banker. He needs a word with you. :cool:

As Walt so famously said "Quality will win out".

On the flipside, without competition Disney will have far less reason to expand or maintain current standards of quality at the park. When innovation forces Disney to do their best with their parks, we as park fans win.

Daveeeeed

On the flipside, without competition Disney will have far less reason to expand or maintain current standards of quality at the park. When innovation forces Disney to do their best with their parks, we as park fans win.
I agree with that for sure, but the man's attitude was just unprofessional, and simply stated was stupid since his parks are closer to Six Flags than Disney.

No Name

Well, as I expected. I'm just shocked how the richest man in China could display such stupidity.

The way to beat a quality theme park is not with 20 crappy ones. Building 20 crappy ones is putting yourself out of business. If he invested all of that money into one quality resort, I'm sure he could've competed with and possibly beaten Disney. But he went about it entirely the wrong way.

I don't know how he got all his money if he can't understand this simple business logic.

Chef Mickey

This is a tough, ruthless business. Huge capital requirements to start AND maintain massive physical assets. Huge labor costs.

Disney has been in the game a long time. They know what they are doing.

What this dude missed was that theme parks aren't just about building some rides. You've got to have a draw and a connection with what's being built. If no one cares about the theme, characters, or story, what do you have? It has to be memorable.

For example...Peter Pan uses about the simplest and oldest technology of any attraction today, but it's packed because people love the story and delivery of the ride. The ride is terrible...but with Peter Pan, it's magical.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom