Children with Autism at WDW

disneyfanmom

Original Poster
As we're getting ready for our big trip in less than 3 weeks :sohappy: I thought I'd take the opportunity to give a thank-you to cast members at WDW, and a share a little information with guests that might not be aware of the program...
I am the proud mom of a 10-year-old Disney fan who has green eyes, a cute, crooked smile, and Autism. Each year we save up for our one big vacation of the year...to Disney World!
On our first trip, we found out about the special assistance pass. The guidelines of the pass have changed over the years, but it has been the only thing that has made the trip possible for my family. For those of you who aren't aware of what the pass does, basically it allows persons with certain disabilities to either use an alternate (handicap) entrance or the fast pass lane at most attractions. Over the years, I have had many people glare at us and give us dirty looks because my son's disability is not a visible one - you can't tell he has Autism by looking at him, especially because he is verbal. I used to feel guilty about using the shorter lines or avoiding the long wait, but then I realized that my son has a struggle every day of his life, and this is the one time he gets a break! He has difficulty with close proximity to people and will sometimes lash out physically or swing his arms about when he is "stimming." Believe me, if we waited in the general admission line and he started flailing his arms about and (accidentally or not) knocked your kid over, you'd have wished we were in the other line! I remember one time we were waiting for the Dumbo ride and people said in a not-so quiet voice "why are THEY in a handicap line?!" Just after that, my son had a meltdown because it wasn't his turn yet and proceeded to bop me right in the nose and scream bloody murder. Maybe they got the picture then?
So my thank you goes out to the cast members who understand our dilemma and go the extra mile to help my son have a special meeting with a character by bringing him up to meet them, or those CMs who don't look at us like we're trying to get around the system when we try to enter the exit of Star Tours. Please remember that my life is a daily battle with finding a school that will take my child, hospitalizations and medications, school meetings about his social and behavioral problems and a never-ending battle just to be accepted. So when you see a child in the disability line or with a little pass in the parent's hand and you can't SEE anything wrong, think of my child. And thank you to those who give us this one break from our daily reality to have a little magic in our lives!

:wave:

BUZZ BABE 34

i just want to tell the parents of children with autism that any time you come to buzz woith your gac card-let us know aout your childs handicap.we have NO PROBLEM helping you get on faster and making it easier on your children. its all about the magic!!!:sohappy:

RU42

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

A triple applause from me. I am the dad of a 6 year old HFA autistic boy. In most appearances, he is a fine healthy looking boy. But when it is time to stem or has a mealt down, watch out.

To Disneylands credit, I have never had a problem using special assistance passes. A few guests give me a look but I've learned not to care. If they want to be judgemental, go for it, I just don't care.

RU

Debbie

Another lesson some folks could use in life; don't judge a book by it's cover.
A couple weeks ago, I was at a friends house and some long time friends stopped by. Her son has autism. I used the opportunity to teach my son that 'DJ' is different and explained to him to be patient with him, to respect his space, and if he gets stuck on a subject, to just go with it. My son's response was "Mom, we should get along great, because I'm different". I was so proud of him. It was an important lesson; for it demonstrated a need for tolerence and compassion, in this selfish world we live in.

disneyfanmom

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the positive replies so far! My son is also high functioning and sometimes it makes it even harder because people see him talking to me and think that we're just trying to get around the system. Little do they know that right now we are struggling to find a new school for him because his behaviors have just caused him to be removed from his last placement! Can't wait to go to WDW in a few weeks just to escape from reality a little!
And a note to Buzz Babe: Glad to hear that you guys are willing to help out! Generally CMs are really helpful but the last two years we went we were given a hard time at a few attractions...especially Splash Mountain and Star Tours. They used to let us enter through the exit of Splash Mountain, and last year they said we had to go in the general admission line. Nightmare! We went to Star Tours and the first day we had no problem, but the second day the guy said the disability entrance was only for wheelchairs and wouldn't let us through! Even after I explained what the disability was! I hate having to say it too much too, because my son gets embarrassed. Being 10, he's quite aware of being different.
Thanks for the head's up about Buzz though, it's one of his favorites!
~:D

RU42

Originally posted by disneyfanmom
Thanks so much for the positive replies so far! My son is also high functioning and sometimes it makes it even harder because people see him talking to me and think that we're just trying to get around the system. Little do they know that right now we are struggling to find a new school for him because his behaviors have just caused him to be removed from his last placement!
~:D

Sounds WAY too familiar. My sons is in K and having an extreme hard time. Teacher is trying her best but ARRRRGH. You know exactly waht I mean by that.

RU

KathyG/poohbear

Bless your heart. I know it must have gotten tougher for your at Disney over the past 2 years with staff cuts and all. My hats go off to you and your family and in my opinion....Disney is for families like yours and should cater to you. Disney is an escape for you even more than it is to the rest of us.

I am bad about worrying about what people think. I broke my ankle in Nov and already had a Feb trip planned to WDW. It was so bad, the doctor wasn't sure if I would walk or if my foot would be stiff. I could not walk through the park or stand in the lines so I had to use a wheelchair. The warmer weather took my limp away and I was so afraid people thought I was just riding in a wheelchair for the convenience. It taught me a great lesson.....life is too short to worry about what other people think. If they are judgemental they don't have a vote anyway.

You and your family are welcome to go ahead of me in line anytime. I admire your love for your child and I know he enjoys WDW. Take care and I would consider letting guest relations know of your recent problems.

BUZZ BABE 34

IM A TRAINER AT BUZZ AND THE ONE THING I STRESS TO OUR NEW CAST MEMBERS IS TO MAKE SURE CHILDREN WITH AUTISM GET ON ASAP.WE WILL EVEN LET YOUR CHILDREN RIDE TWICE .I DO KNOW THAT GUEST RELATIONS IS WORKING ON A CARD SPECIALLY DESIGNED FOR AUTISM TO MAKE YALLS LIFE A LITTLE EASIER. COME SEE ME!!!

DisneyPhD

As a social worker I used to work with families who had autisic children. I remember a number of familes raving about how acomodating WDW was to them and how wonderful the trip was. For a family that everyday life is a struggle and there is very few carefree moments the magic of WDW can be a joy they never thought they would get to experince together.

Without this extra help they would never be able to experince WDW. It also meant a great deal to siblings who spend most of their time "giving up" things becuase of their brother or sisters speacial needs.

Think of how hard a WDW trip can be with healthy happy normally well behaved children, now imagine it with kids who stuggle everyday with most everything they do. They and their familes deserve to have a magical experance and vacation also. This joy and fun often means more to them then people who have an easier time in life.

lentesta

Premium Member
Hey BuzzBabe34,

I work for the Unofficial Guide, and we're doing a special section in the upcoming edition on kids with autism @ WDW. Mind if I ask you some questions?

Eveyone else: if you have any tips you'd like to share, please drop me a line: testa@ncat.edu . I'm familiar with the Guest Assistance Pass and how to obtain one. Any hotel or restaurant tips you have would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Len

disneyfanmom

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the supportive posts! It's been a really hard year for my son and I was starting to stress a little about what kind of reception we'd receive on this trip to WDW, but I'm a lot more optimistic now!
Len, I think the idea of a section about travelling to Disney with children with autism spectrum disorders is a wonderful idea. I always scan all of the guidebooks, but haven't found a mention anywhere other than online at a website. We have used the pass for the past 5 years and have lots of tips about sharing info at hotels or restaurants, finding companion restrooms and tips for talking w/CMs at attractions and shows. Please feel free to contact me at disneyfanmom@msn.com.
:D

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by sillyspook13
If you're at Animal Kingdom on a Saturday or Sunday, feel free to stop by Pizzafari and ask for me. My name is Marcia.

Sorry this is off topic, I was going to stop in and see if you were working when we were at AK, but I didn't kow you name and guessed asking for "Sillyspook" wouldn't work. I will remember it for next time (if you are still there!)

Len, we bought the Unofficial Guide in 2001 because it was the only book we could find with any info on going to WDW pregnant. We had been many times before, but I was starting the 8th month of pregnancy and was a little unsure about the trip. It was very helpful. We felt much better after reading it. Infact that is how we found this web site!!!! I think adding a page for familes with autism and other special needs is a wonderful idea.

tigsmom

Glad you are feeling better about going to WDW for your trip...no need to add more stress to your life! Please don't worry about those ignorant few who give you dirty looks or make comments...there but for the grace of God...
I have always tried to teach my children to be respectful of others (yes, they don't always use their good manners). Just smile back at them and enjoy your vacation.

T1nker_Bell

Although my paralyzed father never got to attend Disney World while he was paralyzed, Disney did an excellent job of informing us which attractions he could ride, etc. In fact, they sent my father a special brocure and packet explaining everything. I noticed in my last trip that cast members did a fantastic job dealing with both more visible and less visible disabilities. I'm glad that Disney has helped those with autism so well.

SpongeScott

DISNEYFANMOM--may you have the greatest vacation of your life when you go. Bless you for your caring spirit and for providing the best for your son. Big kudos to all the CM's who go the extra mile for these children and let's all learn or continue to be patient and understanding with guests with special needs.

figmentmom

If I'm not mistaken, dreamer posted a thread similar to this one when he was planning a visit to WDW with his family. I believe he said his youngest daughter has PDD, similar in some ways to autism. You might want to PM him for a report on his experiences. I have always felt that WDW is just terrific about being sensitive to the families of special-needs children! :sohappy:

dreamer

Originally posted by figmentmom
If I'm not mistaken, dreamer posted a thread similar to this one when he was planning a visit to WDW with his family. I believe he said his youngest daughter has PDD, similar in some ways to autism. You might want to PM him for a report on his experiences. I have always felt that WDW is just terrific about being sensitive to the families of special-needs children! :sohappy:

I just saw this thread.

Our daughter has myoclonic epilepsy with a form of PDD similar to autism. She "stims" and has a short attention span and goes into her own world at times, on top of her seizures.

We did get a special assistance pass, however the CM who gave it to us at MGM seemed very suspicious and gave me a hard time about it -- he wasn't "Disney" at all. The other problem for us is that we have five kids -- for a total of seven people and the max number of people officially allowed to use the pass is 6. Fortunately, we were there at a slow time of year and only had to use the pass twice and the CM's didn't pay attention to the fact that we had 7 people instead of 6.

One difficulty is that our daughter's diagnosis isn't technically "autism" although her syndrome is similar. So although we deal with many of the same problems, it's not as easy to explain to the people at guest services. She's also on a ketogenic diet which is another story.

All in all though, DW is a wonderful place for a family like ours with 5 kids ranging from the 3 year old with seizures and PDD to a 14 year old. We stay at a a DVC 2 BR and it works out great.

(3 months until our next trip!!:sohappy: )

disneyfanmom

Original Poster
Hi again, all! Thanks for all of the kind words. My son was originally diagnosed with infantile Autism at 18 months and was non-verbal until he was 3. Back when he was little, people never doubted that he was in need of his pass. Now that he is 10, they have changed his diagnosis to Asperger's Syndrome, which is another disorder on the autism spectrum. Really just a high-functioning form of Autism. Unfortunately, although his language and academic skills are great, his social and behavioral skills are extremely delayed. He also has some fairly serious behavioral problems that prevent him from being schooled in an inclusive environment (as of this past week!).
Like "dreamer", we have also had some difficulties with some CMs along the way, but we have also had some fabulous people who have been so kind to us! Even taking us the back way to meet Mickey or bringing my son up to meet a character without having to wait in a line at times. I feel funny about passing the other kids who have been waiting so patiently (or not!) but my son can become very distraught and bite himself and such if a smell or sound sets him off. The close lines are just too dangerous!
Some people have told me if he can't manage those lines then we shouldn't go to WDW, but why should he have to miss out on his little bit of magic because of something that is out of his control?!
Anyway, I'll step down from my soapbox now and say a big THANKS to those of you who have offered blessings and support. I wish you all the best on your vacations, and if you happen to be at the parks 4/4 - 4/13 keep an eye open for us and be sure to say hi!
:animwink:
~ Sarah

figmentmom

Hi, Sarah -

I teach elementary music, and I have had several students with Asperger's Syndrome. Like your son, they are high-functioning academically - even truly gifted - but they are extremely fragile emotionally and socially. As you mentioned, part of the problem is that the kids do not look "different" in any way - and while that can be a blessing, it can also be a curse when they act out. Teaching those students, with all of the challenges inherent, is still extremely rewarding! I'm sure you will find the proper placement for your son, and soon.

Hve a truly magical vacation - and don't forget to post a trip report upon your return!

Mary

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom