Children with Autism at WDW

Snowflake82

disneyfanmom-

I hope that your family has a wonderful time at WDW!

You have reminded me to be a little more grateful for the blessings in my life today.

~ Jennifer

RU42

Have fun on your trip Sarah!

Your son soudns like mine. He has had a speech therapist for 2 years and is progressing there. He is sharp too, just slightly dealyed. but get him to sit down and pay attention in class fo rlong periods of time - forget about it. And I can 100% sympathize with the behavioral things, it is a constant struggle.

Is your son sensitive to sound? Our son is very sensitive to loud noises. Sometimes that is a problem as Disney (Fireworks, Fantasmic, some rides with sudden booms etc.) He likes Haunted Mansion even with the boos but has a real ahrd time with Pirates.

RU

disneyfanmom

Original Poster
Originally posted by RU42

Is your son sensitive to sound? Our son is very sensitive to loud noises. Sometimes that is a problem as Disney (Fireworks, Fantasmic, some rides with sudden booms etc.) He likes Haunted Mansion even with the boos but has a real ahrd time with Pirates.

My son has difficulties with smells and sounds, but it's pretty unpredictable. He actually likes the fireworks and parades, but can totally flip out when many people are around him speaking quickly in a foreign language. It seems like it's too hard for him to filter or process it. Also smells of foods can set him off. Now that he is so verbal, it can be especially difficult because he doesn't hesitate to say what he's thinking: "Could they PLEASE stop talking in that SPANISH?!" or "That food smells so GROSS!!" People stare at me like he is bad mannered...little do they know! The funny thing is that his uncle is from Spain and speaks almost no English at all!

:lol:
We've had experiences where he would be waiting in a line and then all of a sudden - be prepared...this is gross - he'll bend over and start picking at the dry skin on a stranger's ankle in front of us. Yikes! Last year on our trip I was thrilled because he was able to request "stim" time when he needed it, and would go over and pace around and "whoosh" for awhile.
It's really nice to hear how many people out there are starting to open their minds about these differences and be less judgmental. Thanks to you all!
And to the music teacher in Northern NY...We're from Rochester, NY originally! NY is lucky to have you working with their kids!
:D

FutureCEO

my mom works in a classroom with austism kids with great ranges. my brother has problems but we don't know the problem. the doctor's don't even know the problem. we know the problem but the type of disease it is, thats what i meant

disneydudette

I applaud your efforts, bravery and courage...

I am embaressed to say that I did stare....but thanx to you...I will never stare agian...and neither will my younger siblings....
I think we just stared at the unknown...
when you see someone in a wheelchair...you assume there handicap...
but when you see a perfectly normal child walk past you...you question...and stare
I know the guests are disabled...they would have to be to get passed the CMs....but sometimes you don't know "how" there disabled....because of you guys...we know now...

So thankyou...for making WDW that much more special...not only for your children and yourself...but for the future guests that you have inlightened...who won't stare the next time...but instead...may just smile and applaud your efforts....I know I will....

Best wishes on your future trips
Riley...

GenerationX

Interesting thread. I'm glad there are teachers out there like you, figmentmom, who understand some of the difficulties kids with Asperger's Syndrome face. My eldest son has Asperger's, and his first and second grade teachers both made it a point to attend seminars and learn what they could about his condition (his kindergarten teacher? more-or-less viewed him as a burden on the class, and I view it now as a "lost year" in social development).

Luckily for us, WDW is a great place for him. Since he's not really socializing with other kids, no one notices his conversational "quirks". The one concession we have to make is to be aware of time and long lines (not to the extent that you have to, disneyfanmom), but we need to watch it. He simply does not have the patience to wait much and will get very restless in line. So, we keep moving.

We've never explored getting special passes, because I meticulously plan our itineraries, and my son is extremely high-functioning. That's just our situation - I can easily see how other people with kids in the Autism Spectrum would need the passes. You have a kid with a condition like this, and you get to know a lot of other parents in a similar situation. We feel fortunate in that we don't face quite as many hurdles as some others.

dreamer

Originally posted by disneyfanmom
...Some people have told me if he can't manage those lines then we shouldn't go to WDW, but why should he have to miss out on his little bit of magic because of something that is out of his control?!
~ Sarah

Parents of autistic kids are largely trapped at home taking care of them. I believe that if people understood what is involved with that type of care and the extreme sacrifices made by those parents on a daily basis they would be happy to wait an extra minute in line to help out. I know I would be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom