Chelsea signs 4 year deal with Disney

dave2822

Original Poster
From the AP:

LOS ANGELES:
England's Chelsea signed a four-year deal with The Walt Disney Co. to become the official pro soccer club of Disney's Wide World of Sports complex and presenting sponsor of the Disney Soccer Showcase Series.
Chelsea will also have a significant presence at other Disney-created soccer events through coaching and player clinics held in conjunction with some of the events.
An annual educational exchange program will also be created where at least one Chelsea Soccer Academy team will visit and compete at Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Florida.
In exchange, Chelsea will bring a winning team from a selected Disney soccer tournament to be their guests at a Chelsea match and train at their soccer academy in England.
"Chelsea is committed to assisting and promoting all levels of soccer in the United States, and youth soccer is a massive part of that," Chelsea business affairs director Paul Smith said.
Further talks between Chelsea and Disney are planned to see how Chelsea can work with the media and entertainment company's various brands.

Chelsea is like the "Yankees" of the soccer world, so I think this is an interesting concept. I'd love to see Wide World of Sports get more pro-sports involvement, and though less than popular in America, soccer is the world's most popular sport.

Another interesting connection: Chelsea's main sponsor: Siemens.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for the info, shame it wasnt Manchester United, but always good to see a big football club getting involved with Disney.

WISH4EE@WDW

I would love to be able to watch some real soccer over here in the states. I don't necissarily like soccer; but I was intrigued by the world cup last year (or whenever that was). I'd pay to watch some of those guys play one another.

Delly

Have to agree- being from Manchester, and a Manchester United fan, would much rather it had been them instead of Chelsea, but interesting news nevertheless.

ToTBellHop

good for Disney...not sure it'll make me want to go through the chore it is to get to the Wide World of Sports, but still a good find for Disney.

german

Thanks for the info, shame it wasnt Manchester United, but always good to see a big football club getting involved with Disney.

Well, I guess ManU isn´t a big name in the world of Disney. Remember there used to be a soccer school at Disneyland Resort Paris. Well, it was such a huge success that it´s closed for about 2 years (?) now.

Maybe with David Beckham playing for L.A. now,they hope to make some money.

go3epcot

Great to see this connection to professional soccer to support their longstanding involvement in youth and high school events such as the Disney Soccer Showcase. Chelsea may not be everyone's favorite team on this site, but we can all agree that they are world-class and easily recognizable to football fans around the world. Great move Disney!

Tigger2000

Eugh, Chelsea... if you were in my family you'd understand how much me and my Dad hate them lol.
My Uncle and cousin support them, and we're Middlesbrough Fans lol.. (yes I know they're not the best team but still) Chelsea are only good coz some man came in with a large load of money, and Disney... please cancel the contract lol.

Meh, oh well whatever, I'm not too fussed about this.. I'm not against it, I just don't see the point..

Eyorefan

I would love to be able to watch some real soccer over here in the states. I don't necissarily like soccer; but I was intrigued by the world cup last year (or whenever that was). I'd pay to watch some of those guys play one another.

FSN shows MLS games all the time. I got hooked on Soccer when our city got their own MLS team. Go Dynimos!
(I know, stupid name for a sports team, but when our football team is the Texans, I think it is safe to say we just have crappy team names in Houston.)

dave2822

Original Poster
Chelsea fans "think" they are the Yankees of soccer. So does Liverpool amongst others, but Man U is. Sorry for the let down.

Not trying to thread drift here, but I thought they were referred to as the Yankees of soccer because they have an eccentric biollionaire owner and they "buy" all their players ...

And there is no doubt that Siemens had at least something to do (if not everything) for why Chelsea was picked

cmatt

CHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSEAAAAAAAA! :)

...although im a motherwell fan... :p (and proud englishman ;))

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom