Chelsea signs 4 year deal with Disney

Epcotian

Correct me if I am wrong please, however I do think Samsung is the official sponsor of Chelsea FC? Did something change?

No clue about English football here, but I do know that when I googled the uni's, "Samsung mobile" is prominently displayed. I thought it was strange that there was no reference to Chelsea itself on there (unless it's on the crest on the lapel). So corporate; reminds me of Rollerball.

WDW Monorail

Yankees of soccer = AC Milan.

I would really like to see Disney get involved with an MLS Expansion 2009 team. However, they have to be careful because of what happened to the other Florida teams, Miami Fusion and TB Mutiny.

Hazyworld

Seimens is the sponsor of Real Madrid, another big team, maybe that was their confusion? I know Chelsea has been wanting to branch out to the US more, they haven't been shy about stating that. I assume this was more Chelsea coming after Disney then Disney going after Chelsea.

DisneyBuffinDE

Yankees of soccer = AC Milan.

I would really like to see DIsney get involved with an MLS Expansion 2009 team. However, they have to be careful because of what happened to the other Florida teams, Miami Fusion and TB Mutiny.

I'm a Feyenoord Rotterdam, NL fan. (By family association in Holland!) But I would love to see Disney have a MLS team. They had the Mighty Ducks Hockey didn't they? I'm pretty sure they started it and I'm not sure the association they have still. :shrug:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
From the AP:

Chelsea is like the "Yankees" of the soccer world, so I think this is an interesting concept. I'd love to see Wide World of Sports get more pro-sports involvement, and though less than popular in America, soccer is the world's most popular sport.

Another interesting connection: Chelsea's main sponsor: Siemens.
I thought Man UTD was the NYY of Football. Personally, as far as the Premiership goes, I'm an Arsenal fan :lookaroun

Rosenrot

Blue is the Colour...

Ja. This is just amazing xDD I posted another similar article yesterday.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=204634

:D

Correct me if I am wrong please, however I do think Samsung is the official sponsor of Chelsea FC? Did something change?

And ja. It's definitely Samsung Mobile. Check out the website sometime...or the jerseys, for that matter.

Siemens is Real Madrid - different league, different country...different team.

disneyfreak174

funny...

I lived in Brazil for 2 years including their last WC win (2002) and it has been a long long time since a british team won the world club title. It was barcelona and Ac Milan (I believe) and internationale (italy I think also)recently that have beent the powerhouses. Though chelsea does have a very very big payroll. If you don't have a good brazilian you can't win. British soccer is good just not the best. Real Madrid has players on the bench that start on their national team, if anyone is the yanks it is Real Madrid (though figo sucks!!)

RalphieN

Although I'm a Tottenham fan, the deal will be good for Disney and soccer here but to comment on the original poster's assessment that soccer is "less than popular" in the US, I guess it depends on who you ask.

Did you know that in the US (according to the latest compiled data at CNN.com looking at youth sports for ages 9-14) 260,000 kids play american football, 2.2 milion play little league baseball, 2.8 million play organized league basketball, and 17.5 million play organized league soccer. That is a lot of fans for the future.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Y'know what... I'd buy a Chelsea shirt if it had WDW as the sponsor on it :lol:

I'd never wear it, but I'd buy it!

Rosenrot

Y'know what... I'd buy a Chelsea shirt if it had WDW as the sponsor on it :lol:

I'd never wear it, but I'd buy it!

Last time I was in Disney World...I was the person running around in a FULL Chelsea kit. Shirt AND shorts.

...and all I found were a bunch of Man Utd fans. Can't seem to escape them - including on this board, lol. But that's alright...its all in good fun *cough* :lookaroun

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Although I'm a Tottenham fan, the deal will be good for Disney and soccer here but to comment on the original poster's assessment that soccer is "less than popular" in the US, I guess it depends on who you ask.

Did you know that in the US (according to the latest compiled data at CNN.com looking at youth sports for ages 9-14) 260,000 kids play american football, 2.2 milion play little league baseball, 2.8 million play organized league basketball, and 17.5 million play organized league soccer. That is a lot of fans for the future.

I gotta be honest with you, I used to have hopes like yours. I played soccer when I was a kid. I played when I was in college. The whole time you'd hear - #1 participatory sport, fastest growing, etc. I went to NASL games, watched the Tampa Bay Rowdies play opponents with as many as 50 or 60,000 fans for their annual July 4th tilt with the Cosmos. I went to a World Cup game in Orlando in 1994. Over the 3 decades I've been following soccer lovers keep claiming it will take off in the U.S., but at the professional level it never does. I think there are two reasons for this. One is obvious. We have a very crowded sports landscape full of indigenous sports that we love. It is hard for a new sport to carve out a niche for itself. The second is a subtle cultural thing. Americans have infantilized the sport. It's something your kids do to get in shape. At the professional level it's thought of as a bunch of weenies in shorts playing a slow moving boring sport. I know soccer can be incredibly physical and tough. I have crazy calcium deposits on my feet from years of defenders stomping on them to slow me up before I would make a run. I know what it's like to get slide tackled at a full sprint and hit the ground without wearing pads. I once saved a goal by diving across the goal mouth and heading the ball out. My head whacked into the sidebar and I got a mouth full of blood and teeth for my troubles. But, most American sports fans that I talk to have no respect for the physical nature of the game. They also think it's slow and boring. A lot of the kids who play when they are younger give up playing and caring about soccer by the time they are in their teens. I really don't see this changing. I may be wrong and I may be overly cynical on this topic, (in fact, I hope that I am), but I really don't think so. However, I can now watch Premiership games by paying a couple of bucks to my cable provider, so it's all good.

WDW Monorail

I lived in Brazil for 2 years including their last WC win (2002) and it has been a long long time since a british team won the world club title. It was barcelona and Ac Milan (I believe) and internationale (italy I think also)recently that have beent the powerhouses. Though chelsea does have a very very big payroll. If you don't have a good brazilian you can't win. British soccer is good just not the best. Real Madrid has players on the bench that start on their national team, if anyone is the yanks it is Real Madrid (though figo sucks!!)

A British team will never win the WC. Nor will AN Italian, Brazilian, or German team. The country plays and wins as a whole.

I am a Serie A fan and believe that the quality of the game and plaayers has diminshed from about 10 years ago. They are becoming like American football an basketball players, too controversial.

go3epcot

I just appreciate the fact that so many Disney fans are also soccer fans! The biggest problem with Americans accepting soccer as a major sport is the fact that soccer was started by someone who was NOT American, so it can't be that great. Soccer and Walt Disney World are actually very similar in one respect: both are ignored by some, put up with by others because their kids like it, enjoyed enthusiasticly by many, and totally obsessed upon by still others. As a player and coach of soccer beginning at the age of 8, I probably fall somewhere between the last two for both soccer and WDW! Sounds like I am not alone!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom