Checking in at the port...

jaklgreen

Original Poster
We have Disney transportation from the airport to the port. In the past we have checked in at MCO and then when we got to the port just waited for our boarding time(which was usually one of the first). This is the first time they have had me pick a time to check in at the port when using Disney transportation when I did online check in. The bus from MCO to the port usually gets there pretty early but the earliest check in time they had was after 1:30, I am going to have to sit at the port for hours before I can check in even though I have no choice on when we get there? Or do they disregard the check in time when you use their transportation?

TDF

Honestly I am not sure how this works but I had the same question for @Disneyfalcon or Tammy when I went and she said since we are taking the Disney transportation to just click the first available time since it won’t matter for you anyway. From what I understand you get your boarding number for the ship once you get on the bus anyway, so it truly doesn’t matter.
- Justin

EOD K9

I used the DCL transportation on my trip in February. We left BWV around noon and got to the port a little after 1pm. We had also chose that as the earliest time becuase of the transportation. When we checked in, we were given our boarding number but were advised our rooms are ready. That being said, the only waiting you'll have is to go through security and check in. Boarding should be immediate.

TDF

I used the DCL transportation on my trip in February. We left BWV around noon and got to the port a little after 1pm. We had also chose that as the earliest time becuase of the transportation. When we checked in, we were given our boarding number but were advised our rooms are ready. That being said, the only waiting you'll have is to go through security and check in. Boarding should be immediate.

Going off this advice I think it all depends on your bus time.

Disneyfalcon

It's a glitch of sorts. Disney still has you choose an arrival time even when the arrival times don't apply, such as when you're on Disney transfers. Their system just doesn't know when someone needs to pick a time and when they don't.

If you are coming from a resort, you won't get to the port until around 1 (or later), because there's only one pick up time at each resort, usually between 11:30 and 12:30.

If you are coming from the airport, there are a lot of different times you can leave. The busses start running around 9 and they're first come first serve. If you want to sleep in and go down around noon, do that. If you want to get up early and go down around 8 to be on that first bus, you can. Your chosen arrival time won't ever come into play.

If you are flying in that morning, just go down as soon as you arrive and catch the next bus!

sweetpee_1993

What @Disneyfalcon said! Additionally, there's been a change in recent months. It used to be when taking Disney's transfers from the airport you did your check-in at the airport, rode the bus, then waited to board once you got to the port. Well, no more checking-in at the airport. After you get to the port you'll need to go check-in with everyone else. Bummer, I know. It was so cool to get those early boarding groups numbers at the airport.

ncstate7991

What @Disneyfalcon said! Additionally, there's been a change in recent months. It used to be when taking Disney's transfers from the airport you did your check-in at the airport, rode the bus, then waited to board once you got to the port. Well, no more checking-in at the airport. After you get to the port you'll need to go check-in with everyone else. Bummer, I know. It was so cool to get those early boarding groups numbers at the airport.

Sorry, this last comment now has me confused. So, if you do not get your boarding number at MCO any longer does the boarding time that you select online now become your boarding time? Does this new process negatively effect boarding times for those that are at MCO at 8am? Thank you for clarifying!

ncstate7991

I just thought of more questions. So, you don't check-in any longer at MCO ... THAT IS A BUMMER! How do you know which bus to get on? I am guessing the boarding number for those with transfers from MCO are going to be way higher than they used to be. WOW ... totally stinks, but sometimes those agents were doing nothing. Probably a pretty decent cost savigns.

wdwstateofmind

I actually like the idea of not checking in at MCO...just seems to WDW and I'm cruising to avoid the usual WDW trip feeling you get once you descent and see palm trees and golf neighborhoods for at least 7 nights

Disneyfalcon

Sorry, this last comment now has me confused. So, if you do not get your boarding number at MCO any longer does the boarding time that you select online now become your boarding time? Does this new process negatively affect boarding times for those that are at MCO at 8am? Thank you for clarifying!

Right now I think you're confusing boarding time and port arrival time. The time you select online is the port arrival time. That doesn't matter when you're on transfers, you'll arrive when the transfer gets there and be allowed into the terminal.

The boarding time is different. The boarding time is when your boarding number is called. If you selected an early port arrival time online, you should have a lower boarding number. If you selected a later arrival time, your boarding number will be higher.

There are conflicting reports out there right now on how this is working for people on transfers from the airport. Some are reporting they were on Disney transfers and got an earlier boarding number no matter what time their selected port arrival time was, others are saying they chose a late arrival time and got a higher boarding number. It's a bit of a work in process right now.

Pick the earliest time available. In reality, even if you have to select 1:30 and arrive on the transfers at 11:30, you may get a higher number but you'll still board long before 1:30. Open boarding (when Disney announces that anyone can board) is usually closer to 12-12:30.

Hopefully that made sense!

jaybouch

Just got back and the time we selected for port arrival didn't seem to affect our boarding time at all. We were on the second bus from the airport and our boarding number was 16. Everyone around us that was checking in at the same time seemed to be getting the same number.

I did notice that when we did our online check-in, the two earlier time slots were not available. My guess is Disney uses this for crowd control with people not taking Disney transportation. This way they can limit the number of "walk-ups" and spread them out evenly.

Disneyfalcon

Just got back and the time we selected for port arrival didn't seem to affect our boarding time at all. We were on the second bus from the airport and our boarding number was 16. Everyone around us that was checking in at the same time seemed to be getting the same number.

I did notice that when we did our online check-in, the two earlier time slots were not available. My guess is Disney uses this for crowd control with people not taking Disney transportation. This way they can limit the number of "walk-ups" and spread them out evenly.

That's exactly what they do, they are trying to spread out arrival times more. In theory, if you had selected an earlier arrival time, you would have been given a lower boarding number too.

janoimagine

So is this confirmed that you are no longer allowed to check in at the Magical Express Counter at MCO? I know last year the gal told us they were toying around with the idea of discontinuing it ... so they actually did? That's a bummer.

sweetpee_1993

So is this confirmed that you are no longer allowed to check in at the Magical Express Counter at MCO? I know last year the gal told us they were toying around with the idea of discontinuing it ... so they actually did? That's a bummer.
Last Sept the ladies at the airport desk said they were stopping the following week. It didn't take place then but from what I read they did stop sometime in the month or so after we were there. A lot of guests had caught onto the check-in, early boarding number thing and started taking early ME from the resorts to the airport then doing check-in & taking early buses to the port from there. If they would just do earlier buses from the resorts they would eliminate that issue.

janoimagine

Last Sept the ladies at the airport desk said they were stopping the following week. It didn't take place then but from what I read they did stop sometime in the month or so after we were there. A lot of guests had caught onto the check-in, early boarding number thing and started taking early ME from the resorts to the airport then doing check-in & taking early buses to the port from there. If they would just do earlier buses from the resorts they would eliminate that issue.
F-Beans ... So whats the work around? ... ;) ... stay at a hotel by the terminal? I take it the Hyatt at MCO is no longer talking your bags the morning of and delivering them to DCL for you ... this is kind of a drag.

sweetpee_1993

F-Beans ... So whats the work around? ... ;) ... stay at a hotel by the terminal? I take it the Hyatt at MCO is no longer talking your bags the morning of and delivering them to DCL for you ... this is kind of a drag.
No, as far as I know the Hyatt in MCO still does the luggage service thing. I think some people don't use the Hyatt MCO because its typically more $$ than a discount WDW value resort. Or maybe people want to get in the Disney bubble ASAP. LOL! Can't say I blame them on that one. ;) The Hyatt MCO is still my first choice if flying in the day before embarkation. If I was spending more time than that pre-cruise I'd consider a WDW resort + town car to the port. I like to be early for embarkation. I'm not waiting around for Disney transport midday. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom