Chase credit card

John park hopper

Original Poster
Got an offer in the mail for a Disney Chase credit card (no annual fee) if you use within the first 3 months of activation and charge $500 you get $200. Thinking of applying for it and using it for park tickets for our trip in May (save $200 and immediately pay the balance off). Anyone have any experience with a Chase Disney credit card? Any hidden catches?

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
I love my card. I've had one for 14 years. As long as you pay it off every month (like any card) then you won't pay high interest. I have the Premier card so I get 2% back in Disney dollars at restaurants, gas stations and grocery stores. 1% everywhere else. Over the years I've used thousands of dollars towards my trips. It's worth it if you go to Disney every 2-3 years.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I actually thought about it, but figured it would be much better to accumulate air points with a Southwest credit card and that overall would be the better choice for lifestyle.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It's not a good card in terms of rewards earned. You're better off with the Citi Double Cash card, which pays you 2% back on everything. The Chase Disney card only pays you 2% on certain categories, 1% on everything else.

Get the Citi Double Cash, then use your cash back rewards to buy Disney gift cards.

Best cards I've found by category:

Restaurants and travel: Uber Visa from Barclays, 4% back at restaurants, 3% back on airfare and hotels, no annual fee
Groceries and gas: AmEx Blue Cash Preferred, 6% back on groceries, 3% back on gas, $95 annual fee (worth it for the 6% on groceries)
Amazon: Prime Rewards Visa from Chase (only if you're a Prime member anyway), 5% back at Amazon.com
Everything else: Citi Double Cash card

I actually thought about it, but figured it would be much better to accumulate air points with a Southwest credit card and that overall would be the better choice for lifestyle.
I think you'd be better off with the Uber card. 3% on travel is better than Southwest's 2 points per dollar spent, and it's redeemable in any form (i.e. cash back).

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
It's not a good card in terms of rewards earned. You're better off with the Citi Double Cash card, which pays you 2% back on everything. The Chase Disney card only pays you 2% on certain categories, 1% on everything else.

Get the Citi Double Cash, then use your cash back rewards to buy Disney gift cards.

Best cards I've found by category:

Restaurants and travel: Uber Visa from Barclays, 4% back at restaurants, 3% back on airfare and hotels, no annual fee
Groceries and gas: AmEx Blue Cash Preferred, 6% back on groceries, 3% back on gas, $95 annual fee (worth it for the 6% on groceries)
Amazon: Prime Rewards Visa from Chase (only if you're a Prime member anyway), 5% back at Amazon.com
Everything else: Citi Double Cash card

I think you'd be better off with the Uber card. 3% on travel is better than Southwest's 2 points per dollar spent, and it's redeemable in any form (i.e. cash back).

Interesting, I didn't know this card existed. At the time I applied for the SW card it was between them and Chase Sapphire. I was pre-approved for the latter so I knew I wouldn't have an issue going for the former. I don't use Uber but that cashback is hard to argue with ;)

I have a Capital One I really, really want to close so i'm doing my best to pay off the debt. I'm gonna have to look into that Amazon Visa card you listed above.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Interesting, I didn't know this card existed. At the time I applied for the SW card it was between them and Chase Sapphire. I was pre-approved for the latter so I knew I wouldn't have an issue going for the former. I don't use Uber but that cashback is hard to argue with ;)

I have a Capital One I really, really want to close so i'm doing my best to pay off the debt. I'm gonna have to look into that Amazon Visa card you listed above.
If you're applying for new cards, apply for anything from Chase first. They're the most strict about declining people for opening too many new accounts in a certain amount of time.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
If you're applying for new cards, apply for anything from Chase first. They're the most strict about declining people for opening too many new accounts in a certain amount of time.

I have a good credit score with many years of experience through Chase. One of the cool things about that is a Chase account holder can see what credit cards they're pre-approved for without taking a hit to their credit score :) Using that feature can give a pretty good idea as to how we're looking if we're in the market.

Disstevefan1

I love my card. I've had one for 14 years. As long as you pay it off every month (like any card) then you won't pay high interest. I have the Premier card so I get 2% back in Disney dollars at restaurants, gas stations and grocery stores. 1% everywhere else. Over the years I've used thousands of dollars towards my trips. It's worth it if you go to Disney every 2-3 years.

The premier card has an annual fee where the regular Disney card has no fee and 1% back I think?

Hcalvert

The premier card has an annual fee where the regular Disney card has no fee and 1% back I think?

You are right about the premier card having a fee. The Disney visa card is only a $100 statement credit after first purchase. The premier is a $250 credit with $500 being spent in the first 3 months.

I signed up for it a few weeks ago and plan to get rid of it before the annual fee date. Either they let me go to the Disney visa or I won't have it as I don't need it, especially one that charges me an annual fee. My PNC credit card gives me a much better deal.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I have a good credit score with many years of experience through Chase. One of the cool things about that is a Chase account holder can see what credit cards they're pre-approved for without taking a hit to their credit score :) Using that feature can give a pretty good idea as to how we're looking if we're in the market.
Doesn't matter how good your score is. They have a very strict "5-in-24" rule. If you've applied for five cards in the last two years with any credit card company, you're denied automatically.

John park hopper

Original Poster
Also got the Case card with $49 annual fee. May apply for that one ---use that one time for the $200 back on $500 purchase then get rid of it. Does that make sense. Have other cards that give better cash back

LeighM

I have the Disney Visa card with no annual fee. Current members got a promo in the mail that allows new cardholders to get a $200 statement credit instead of the usual $100. I just received one in case you would like me to share it with you. You also get the 6 month interest free promo on vacation packages, 10% off dining at certain locations, 10% merchandise, etc. I really enjoy the card. Especially when they offer Disney Visa room discounts or early access to free dining.

Smiley/OCD

We have the regular Disney card and love it! No annual fee, and we accumulate points that we turn into a card which pays for all of our tips on our meals while there. Yes, the interest rate isn't the best, but we like it.

TrainsOfDisney

Agreed. I keep the Disney card cause it’s fun to have it but I rarely use it at all. For travel, the chase sapphire or American Express travel cards give a much better return.

I have the regular card and like it fine. I agree with others that you can get better rewards elsewhere. I did, however, love the special character spot access on our last trip. We’d never used it before, but walked directly in for photos on 3 different occasions. Plus, you get the Disney photo downloads for those sessions free.

graphite1326

DITTO

UncleMike101

I have the Disney Visa card with no annual fee. Current members got a promo in the mail that allows new cardholders to get a $200 statement credit instead of the usual $100. I just received one in case you would like me to share it with you. You also get the 6 month interest free promo on vacation packages, 10% off dining at certain locations, 10% merchandise, etc. I really enjoy the card. Especially when they offer Disney Visa room discounts or early access to free dining.
Yup......
I got the same offer last year.
I use it for WDW vacations and use the six month interest free payment perk.

Hcalvert

My biggest issue with Chase is how much they approve immediately for their credit cards. I have the Amazon one and the Disney one and for both I had to call and get the balance lowered as I did not need that much credit. I also had them make a notation on the accounts not to increase the limit without me contacting them. I had a Wells Fargo credit card once and they tripled my limit without my permission after the first three months, which I did not want either. All those companies do not contact me for suspicious purchases, but PNC does immediately. So, there are pros and cons to every credit card, not just including rewards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom