Chase credit card

CaptainAmerica

My biggest issue with Chase is how much they approve immediately for their credit cards. I have the Amazon one and the Disney one and for both I had to call and get the balance lowered as I did not need that much credit. I also had them make a notation on the accounts not to increase the limit without me contacting them. I had a Wells Fargo credit card once and they tripled my limit without my permission after the first three months, which I did not want either. All those companies do not contact me for suspicious purchases, but PNC does immediately. So, there are pros and cons to every credit card, not just including rewards.
I've never heard someone complain that they were approved for TOO MUCH credit. Just don't use it. A factor in your credit score is using a low percentage of your available credit, so it actually helps you.

Hcalvert

I've never heard someone complain that they were approved for TOO MUCH credit. Just don't use it. A factor in your credit score is using a low percentage of your available credit, so it actually helps you.

I got concerned when getting instantly approved for about $20,000 and I did not even have to validate the Disney visa. I have four different credit cards and my debt to credit limit ratio is low anyways as I only routinely use one for monthly grocery shopping and online bill pay, which promptly gets paid off each statement period, which is why I get approved for high amounts. I even got an invite to one of those exclusive black cards once (no way with an annual fee of $400+). I have never paid interest or annual fees and don't want to.

UncleMike101

My biggest issue with Chase is how much they approve immediately for their credit cards. I have the Amazon one and the Disney one and for both I had to call and get the balance lowered as I did not need that much credit. I also had them make a notation on the accounts not to increase the limit without me contacting them. I had a Wells Fargo credit card once and they tripled my limit without my permission after the first three months, which I did not want either. All those companies do not contact me for suspicious purchases, but PNC does immediately. So, there are pros and cons to every credit card, not just including rewards.
PNC has become a PITA with their questioning of routine purchases.
A few weeks ago I paid my Verizon bill with my PNC credit card.
As luck would have it a couple of days later my cell phone battery staged a coup de tat on the phone and assassinated it by swelling up and pushing the screen out of the phone body.
Since the warranty had expired thirty two days earlier :)jawdrop:) I had to buy a new phone from Verizon.
PNC refused payment on the phone because I'd made a payment to Verizon within what they arbitrarily determined as a "short time".
I received an e mail stating that my payment had been refused and a robo call stating the same thing.
After calling PNC twice and explaining the situation to two different "supervisors" they allowed the payment.
In the mean time Verizon had cancelled the order for non payment,
It took two more calls to Verizon, two more explanations to "supervisors", and two more attempts to get the payment to go through.
IMO, if PNC had simply required my PIN that's on file with them to make the purchase I could have avoided the phone calls and hassle of getting the order reinstated.
Last year PNC refused a credit card purchase to a local mega mart because I'd purchased gas at a station across the road before going shopping.
It's OK for them to be cautious but they're overzealous and it causes headaches for their customers.

Hcalvert

PNC has become a PITA with their questioning of routine purchases.
A few weeks ago I paid my Verizon bill with my PNC credit card.
As luck would have it a couple of days later my cell phone battery staged a coup de tat on the phone and assassinated it by swelling up and pushing the screen out of the phone body.
Since the warranty had expired thirty two days earlier :)jawdrop:) I had to buy a new phone from Verizon.
PNC refused payment on the phone because I'd made a payment to Verizon within what they arbitrarily determined as a "short time".
I received an e mail stating that my payment had been refused and a robo call stating the same thing.
After calling PNC twice and explaining the situation to two different "supervisors" they allowed the payment.
In the mean time Verizon had cancelled the order for non payment,
It took two more calls to Verizon, two more explanations to "supervisors", and two more attempts to get the payment to go through.
IMO, if PNC had simply required my PIN that's on file with them to make the purchase I could have avoided the phone calls and hassle of getting the order reinstated.
Last year PNC refused a credit card purchase to a local mega mart because I'd purchased gas at a station across the road before going shopping.
It's OK for them to be cautious but they're overzealous and it causes headaches for their customers.
I never had a problem with them being a PITA. They send an email, you tell them if you made the purchase or not, and then go on your way---at least that is my experience. Their notification actually saved me once as someone must have stole the number and tried to use it in WI, where I have never visited and obviously was not there. The last time I got flagged was when I was shopping online for Black Friday.

UncleMike101

I never had a problem with them being a PITA. They send an email, you tell them if you made the purchase or not, and then go on your way---at least that is my experience. Their notification actually saved me once as someone must have stole the number and tried to use it in WI, where I have never visited and obviously was not there.
Hopefully you'll continue to have good experiences with them.
I've switched to using my Chase card for most purchases. :)

John park hopper

Original Poster
$Well I purchased my 8 day park hopper passes for 2-- came to 1076 applied for the Chase Dsney card immediately approved for $5000 will get a credit of $200 on tickets purchase --drops the price to $870 soon as I get the bill pay it off and will not use the Chase card again. Have other cards that give better cash back. Will use one of those to pay for the PORQ resort get cash back pay balance off. Looking at gift cards for dinner reservations

SteveBrickNJ

I have the Disney Visa card with no annual fee. Current members got a promo in the mail that allows new cardholders to get a $200 statement credit instead of the usual $100. I just received one in case you would like me to share it with you. You also get the 6 month interest free promo on vacation packages, 10% off dining at certain locations, 10% merchandise, etc. I really enjoy the card. Especially when they offer Disney Visa room discounts or early access to free dining.
I have the no annual fee card. The nice feature as mentioned already is the ability to put your Disney vacation charge on this card.....then you have 6 months to pay it back....interest free :)

I have a Disney card, a Sapphire, a Chase Ink, and a Southwest card. I have used them all a lot and I have gotten to the point that I almost exclusively use my Southwest card. I find that I get more bang for my buck using the Southwest points for flights. I can fly from STL to MCO (or back) for around 6000 points. United, American, and Delta require 25000+ for the same flights. When I see how many points it takes for hotel stays and rental cars I just can't pull the trigger. I feel like I can pay for all of my flights with the points and then shop wisely for deals on other things. I will probably cancel all of the cards except the SW card. As a bonus, I earned over 110,000 points in calendar 2018 which entitles me to a companion pass. In other words, my wife can fly with me for free. We're going to the World in March and I'm literally paying a little over 12000 points round trip for both of us. I've had single months where I earned that many points.
As for the Disney card, I think I got the initial $250 offer which I took advantage of. I kept it for discounts and perks, but it's probably not worth it for me. I saved $15 on my KTTK tour, but the annual fee is $49. I guess I just don't buy enough Disney-specific items :)
If you are disciplined these points cards are fantastic. I'm just not sure the Disney card is a good long term value.

SirWillow

A couple of notes for those pointing out that the Disney Visa from Chase isn't one of the "better reward cards." Many of the rewards of having the card are actually at the parks and resorts themselves.

Discounts on dining at many Disney restuarants
discounts on some merchandise locations
exclusive disney pins and other merchandise for card holders (Disneyland just came out with a pin for card holders yesterday)
Exclusive meet and greets only open to card holders with a much longer time with the characters. These also used to include a free photo print, but not sure if they do now.

And quite a number of other Disney exclusives and discounts. Those discounts can add up in a hurry to much more than the "rewards" that other cards offer.

SteveBrickNJ

A couple of notes for those pointing out that the Disney Visa from Chase isn't one of the "better reward cards." Many of the rewards of having the card are actually at the parks and resorts themselves.

exclusive disney pins and other merchandise for card holders (Disneyland just came out with a pin for card holders yesterday)
Exclusive meet and greets only open to card holders with a much longer time with the characters. These also used to include a free photo print, but not sure if they do now.

And quite a number of other Disney exclusives and discounts. Those discounts can add up in a hurry to much more than the "rewards" that other cards offer.
Great points. The no annual fee Chase Disney Visa Card is worth every penny.....'cause it doesn't cost a penny!

zero creativity

We’ve had it since 2008 and the premier since 2012. We pay it off every month and usually have enough rewards to pay a good chunk of our trip every 2 years. We use the shopping and restaurant discounts every trip. I think last time Kona was on the list. Sometimes we get notification of room discounts before the general public. Since Disney is our vacation of choice right now it is a nice, unconscious way of saving for the trip.

SirWillow

As for the Disney card, I think I got the initial $250 offer which I took advantage of. I kept it for discounts and perks, but it's probably not worth it for me. I saved $15 on my KTTK tour, but the annual fee is $49. I guess I just don't buy enough Disney-specific items :)

you're paying an annual fee for the Disney card? I would call them about that as there is a no annual fee version of it. Seems that they should be able to remove that part of the terms of the card- especially if you tell them that you are considering canceling the card because of it.

I didn't even realize they had a version of the Disney card that charged an annual fee. It would certainly defeat much of its purpose.

DisneyGigi

It is great more so for me, for the discount. We have AP’s now but when we didn’t I always used it to save the 10 % at the parks. I also buy a lot of Disney merchandise from ShopDisney and if they do not have the item from the parks app- you can’t use AP discount so I use the card. I have actually saved my points and gotten a ton of stuff free too. I always use my card to book and at the parks and pay it off immediately. As much as we go, it adds up.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I didn't even realize they had a version of the Disney card that charged an annual fee. It would certainly defeat much of its purpose.
The premium Disney card with the $49 fee pays 2% back at restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations and Disney locations (1% on everything else). If you use the card frequently (and pay off the balance in full each month), the $49 pays for itself pretty quickly and the Disney reward dollars accumulate faster.

ThatMouse

Just make sure you always pay it off every month on auto-pay. No excuses. Credit card companies hate it. They call us dead beats.

you're paying an annual fee for the Disney card? I would call them about that as there is a no annual fee version of it. Seems that they should be able to remove that part of the terms of the card- especially if you tell them that you are considering canceling the card because of it.

I will do that. Thanks for the heads up.

SirWillow

I will do that. Thanks for the heads up.

Note what Tuvalu posted above as to why you have a fee- it's a slightly different card. Just so you're aware of the difference before you go canceling/ changing it based on my uninformed comment. :)

The premium Disney card with the $49 fee pays 2% back at restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations and Disney locations (1% on everything else). If you use the card frequently (and pay off the balance in full each month), the $49 pays for itself pretty quickly and the Disney reward dollars accumulate faster.

GiantAlbion

My mother's Disney Visa got her pre sale access the The Lion King musical when it came to Orlando. We got great seats. I think she also got an offer for Aladdin when it came to Ft. Lauderdale. That's a perk I don't see mentioned often.

Ti_dbl_ger_er

There is also a 6 mo 0% interest on Disney Vacations being offered with this card.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom