Characters in Flight Closed?

I_heart_Tigger

In 8 visits to DTD it wasn't opened once. Always due to wind but it's hard to explain to guests who have not felt the tiniest gust of wind in days that it's different a few hundred feet up.

Oh well, I have just come to expect that it will always be closed now, anyway so I guess no great loss for me. I would have probably tried it once though, just so I could have enjoyed the view.

awhit066

Could they not replace the giant tethered helium balloon with a giant tethered hot air balloon? I've seen hot air balloon rides in which the basket is tied to the ground and only able to be raised and lowered. In order to do this with the current 'basket' size though they may require an extremely large balloon (i suspect). I also wonder if the cost of the gas that would be needed to elevate the hot air balloon would be exponentially more than the cost of the helium that had been used.

NewfieFan

Well, that's sad! It was a great addition to DTD, I loved seeing the balloon go up and down. It's a great view up there as well, certainly worth doing once! So is it due to helium shortage or the accident incident? So is this closed for good?

(If there was a helium shortage would we lose helium balloons in the parks?)

Captain Chaos

Well, that's sad! It was a great addition to DTD, I loved seeing the balloon go up and down. It's a great view up there as well, certainly worth doing once! So is it due to helium shortage or the accident incident? So is this closed for good?

(If there was a helium shortage would we lose helium balloons in the parks?)

Probably the accident...

Allie_Marie

I really didn't care for Character's in Flight, I did not think it was worth the money. Maybe if someone else was paying for it I would've done it!
But no balloons in the park, that's a different story! That would make me exteremely sad, I love those balloons!

Tigger1988

From All Ears
Just spoke with Todd Jolley, General Manager. When asked for a statement he replied: "After an incident at Ocean Park in Hong Kong, Aerophile decided to suspend operations of the balloons at Downtown Disney Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris, so we can conduct inspections."

Hope it returns.

asianway

So much for the bold new vision...too bad there aren't options within 100 yards they could open to draw people to the area.

Ironic that someone hacked their twitter account and made the avatar a black baloo with a skull & crossbones

sittinpretty

I love how on Meet the Magic the cast member advised the caller that the balloon wasn't powered by helium it was powered by gas.. In future I must remember to have a grain of salt ready whenever I contact Disney Guest Services.

menamechris

About time. I'm glad that eyesore is finally grounded. Nothing ruined the ambiance of Typhoon Lagoon's seemingly remote jungle location than seeing that red and yellow orb floating above Pleasure Island.

I actually can't disagree with this. I think the balloon looked great at DTD - and I am sure it was tons of fun. But I was kind of annoyed to be able to see it from different areas of the resort. Typhoon Lagoon was one - and also World Showcase in Epcot...

NewfieFan

I really didn't care for Character's in Flight, I did not think it was worth the money. Maybe if someone else was paying for it I would've done it!
But no balloons in the park, that's a different story! That would make me exteremely sad, I love those balloons!

Did you ever try it? It was quite nice up there... and what a view! It's not something I would do on every trip but it was a nice attraction to experience (at least once).

About time. I'm glad that eyesore is finally grounded. Nothing ruined the ambiance of Typhoon Lagoon's seemingly remote jungle location than seeing that red and yellow orb floating above Pleasure Island.

I actually can't disagree with this. I think the balloon looked great at DTD - and I am sure it was tons of fun. But I was kind of annoyed to be able to see it from different areas of the resort. Typhoon Lagoon was one - and also World Showcase in Epcot...

Well, to each his own, I guess!?! I actually loved seeing the balloon up in the air.

Tigger1988

Did you ever try it? It was quite nice up there... and what a view! It's not something I would do on every trip but it was a nice attraction to experience (at least once).
Agreed, I don't get how people can not care for something they admittedly never tried. Like I said earlier, hopefully it will return after inspections.

Allie_Marie

Well, to each his own, I guess!?! I actually loved seeing the balloon up in the air.

No I did try it, I did not think it was honestly worth the money

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom