News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Seems they figured it was as good a time as any to announce SSE going down while everyone else is distracted by the CEO news...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Eek. I was hoping for Kevin Mayer in the role. Don’t be surprised if he now leaves the company too.

I’d like to think Chapeks time with Park’s means he will look kindly on them and invest more but I’m not hopeful
He’s treated the parks like an old dairy cow...milking them till they collapse and turn into ground chuck.

Chapek wasn’t responsible for any of these park additions...planned long ago...but he has actively slashed budgets and attempted to over monetize everything in the parks.

Wouldn’t get my hopes up

Last edited:

Kamikaze

Any word on who’ll replace Chapek as head of parks? Anyways this’ll probably be good for the parks in the long run but I’m worried about the film division

Keep in mind that the individual studios are run by others. This won't change what Feige is doing, or Kennedy (or her successor). Pixar should also be untouched because Chapek doesn't know jack about animation.

aladdin2007

This is weirdly good for Parks. I think everyone is seriously overlooking that. A CEO that came from Parks, and knows their profitability will give resources to Parks. A person that is really intense about quarter over quarter gains, and was bad operationally, is going to have less of an impact from higher up the corporate ladder. Plus, this gives the opportunity for someone with actual parks opportunity to fill into DPEP. As for who fills that role, Colglaizer and Potrock come to mind as people that seem to be in a good position to fill the role.

how do we know though thats the route they will take to choose, so many times they put people in charge who know nothing about parks. such as chapstick when he originally assumed the role, he was just a retailer.

Parker in NYC

He’s treated the parks like a old dairy cow...milking them till they collapse and turn into ground chuck.

Chapek wasn’t responsible for any of these park additions...planned long ago...but he has actively slashed budgets and attempted to over monetize everything in the parks.

Wouldn’t get my hopes up

I haven't used the weepy face reaction this much since the boarding groups arrived.

WDW Pro

I'm guessing cabinet position, if not VP announcement. Timing is still odd considering Iger is a Democrat, you'd think it would at least be closer to a nominee being named.
Company politics or like US Government politics?

I don't have a solid answer yet. I'm working every contact I have, but this took many people completely by surprise. I mean, let me run through some of the ramifications:

1) The coronavirus pandemic is shutting down huge sources of revenue for Disney and can potentially increase exponentially. This is one of the most dangerous times for the company, certainly the most dangerous since 9/11 and could end up being worse.
2) Lucasfilm is moving into dangerous territory for profitability and Chapek does not have the acumen or the gravitas to remove Kathleen Kennedy... Iger did.
3) Fox movies inherited into the Disney company have been almost universally losses and look to continue damaging the company's bottom line. And given that these properties are generating losses, that indicates systemic issues in those studios.
4) Chapek is simply not viewed as anywhere near competent to run a company of this scale. Chapek couldn't run the Parks division and has a shoddy track record. With this sudden announcement out of nowhere in the most volatile time period the company has faced in decades, the stock price could take a huge hit tomorrow morning.
5) There is fear Iger wanted to "lock in" now, suddenly and abruptly.
6) Marvel's future is not as strong as it was leading up to Endgame. The future slate of movies is not viewed within the company and the industry as being strong, and there is significant push to get X-Men up and running... but so far that's not moving as quickly as many would like. Iger was able to form a great partnership with Feige in making Marvel a huge success - Chapek does not have that relationship, and will likely get run over.

As soon as I get more info I'll pass it along. As of now, all I am hearing is that a) there is more to the story, b) this was not planned as of a relatively short time ago, and c) politics are in play here. I don't know what those mean yet.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Citation for that? Very rarely will a voluntary change in title (which it appears this was) result in a severance payout.

He stepped down as CEO...his job ended. “Creative consultant” is not a side grade and board membership isn’t tied to his compensation contract.

The “source” on this is common sense...though I’d stand to be corrected

KBLovedDisney

What if on a twist, Chapek does a turnaround and instead...gives us back a "re-imagined" Horizons?

99a.gif

Here's hoping.

tenor.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom