News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think every busy-body who's complaining that creatives at Disney are 'being too progressive' for bringing Kamala Khan to the screen or having Baymax and Turning Red address menstruation to young girls should take some advice from the greatest poet from your generation:

Come, mothers and fathers,
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'
Wasn’t Dylan cancelled last year?🤔

ElvisMickey

Bob Chapek tends to kick butt and take names. That is tough on the creative folks but some of us think that is exactly what Disney needs right now. Now that Peter Rice and Geoff Morrell have been shown the door I suspect that others will leave or adjust their work ethic and become team players.
I pointed this out a few nights ago and about 10 people on here blocked me lol.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Bob Chapek tends to kick butt and take names. That is tough on the creative folks but some of us think that is exactly what Disney needs right now. Now that Peter Rice and Geoff Morrell have been shown the door I suspect that others will leave or adjust their work ethic and become team players.
Woah, dude…what’s the ABV% on that?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think maybe you should start avoiding these threads and news.

Disney is going to be fine in the long run and people on these boards will never agree if what they're doing right now is right or wrong. The company is not going to go bust, though, so I would try my best to tune out all this noise.
Is that really the question? We’re on “Kodak watch”??

…or is it a string of missteps that make it look like it’s just another company nobody will bother to care about down the road?

Vegas Disney Fan

Actually…I if I had to guess their calculation…it would be they’re positioning themselves for when the last “old generation” expires…and it’s rather soon.

I’m confused by this comment, are you suggesting they are positioning themselves towards the left because old people are conservative and young people are liberal? or am I just misreading your intent?

Because the way I’m reading it isn’t really true. 43% of reg voters under 50 lean right, 57% lean left... that’s an edge to the left but still a very substantial portion of younger people that lean right. The younger “lean right” are undoubtedly more inclusive than the older lean right but there’s still a breaking point, I’m not sure any company wants to risk alienating a significant portion of their potential guests for the next 30 years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m confused by this comment, are you suggesting they are positioning themselves towards the left because old people are conservative and young people are liberal? or am I just misreading your intent?

Because the way I’m reading it isn’t really true. 43% of reg voters under 50 lean right, 57% lean left... that’s an edge to the left but still a very substantial portion of younger people that lean right. The younger “lean right” are undoubtedly more inclusive than the older lean right but there’s still a breaking point, I’m not sure any company wants to risk alienating a significant portion of their potential guests for the next 30 years.
I’m not a fan or polling or demographics…it shifts in the wind. Most of those statistics boil down to one thing: money.

Beyond that…I don’t want to get stuck in the mud. We shall see.

The world will be very different by 2030 and beyond. You’ll have X in their 60’s

JoeCamel

I’m not a fan or polling or demographics…it shifts in the wind. Most of those statistics boil down to one thing: money.

Beyond that…I don’t want to get stuck in the mud. We shall see.

The world will be very different by 2030 and beyond. You’ll have X in their 60’s
Man those x'ers are in for a shock thinking they will retire in their 60s.......

bcoachable

Yes, and unfortunately many of those people are in key roles in Disney right now.
There are videos of them talking about their goals for more of what they are doing.
The only thing that can stop it is a cultural shift in consumers away from these offereings and a top down decree from those high up in the company putting a lid on it.
Kinda happened with The Buzz movie maybe?

Lilofan

Man those x'ers are in for a shock thinking they will retire in their 60s.......
One guy who is 79 in my gym is living well but still below his means which he likes. He retired at 67 and his wife of almost 60 years kept a secret from him for over 40 years. She invested in the US stock market weekly from their paychecks for over 40 years and when she told him how much they had accumulated in net worth 10 years ago he could not believe it.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
This is why it's absurd to say that flicks like Encanto, Turning Red etc. were successful. Encanto flopped at the box office, and was sent to the yawning money pit that is Disney+ - so how much profit did it actually return? Turning Red could have premiered in theaters - but Disney chose to cut its losses and put it on streaming, likely because it, too, would have flopped. And why is the upcoming Pinocchio live-action remake that nobody (with any taste) wanted going directly to Disney+ as well? Take a look at its most recent trailer. Yuck. I wouldn't be surprised if "Disney" doesn't take a harder look at its upcoming film slate, given all the turkeys it's produced of late. (After seeing the trailer for "Strange World", I wouldn't be surprised if it gets dumped on Disney+ too. Completely lackluster with awful-looking characters. "Disney" needs to bring back princesses and talking animals IMO).
I'd very much argue that Encanto was everything but a flop. If you work in the education system/with kids at all, every single kid I know is singing the music from that movie. Especially Bruno. It is absolutely insane how popular Encanto is.

It's no Frozen, but it is definitely up there with Tangled.

Touchdown

Encanto cries out for a trackless ride through the casita as “something horrible goes wrong” ride. It would also give imagineers the ability to create rooms for family members we didn’t see (Luisa, Peppa) and the rooms we did see it would be so easy to make gags. I really hope it happens.

BaconPancakes

This is why it's absurd to say that flicks like Encanto, Turning Red etc. were successful. Encanto flopped at the box office, and was sent to the yawning money pit that is Disney+ - so how much profit did it actually return? Turning Red could have premiered in theaters - but Disney chose to cut its losses and put it on streaming, likely because it, too, would have flopped. And why is the upcoming Pinocchio live-action remake that nobody (with any taste) wanted going directly to Disney+ as well? Take a look at its most recent trailer. Yuck. I wouldn't be surprised if "Disney" doesn't take a harder look at its upcoming film slate, given all the turkeys it's produced of late. (After seeing the trailer for "Strange World", I wouldn't be surprised if it gets dumped on Disney+ too. Completely lackluster with awful-looking characters. "Disney" needs to bring back princesses and talking animals IMO).
Lol. Encanto has been a HUGE hit for Disney, what the heck are you going on about?

Magenta Panther

I'd very much argue that Encanto was everything but a flop. If you work in the education system/with kids at all, every single kid I know is singing the music from that movie. Especially Bruno. It is absolutely insane how popular Encanto is.

It's no Frozen, but it is definitely up there with Tangled.

I wasn't referring to the film's quality. It's a gorgeous-looking film. (I'm not a fan of the soundtrack - I think Miranda did a better job with Moana). But it was a box-office flop, in that it didn't make any money. Its production budget was reportedly $150 million, (and that doesn't count advertising costs, which could easily have added several millions more). A movie has to make twice its overall budget just to break even, and Encanto didn't manage that. Here's an article that explains things further:

The movie had an anemic opening and nosedived from there. Now, I'm not denying the huge popularity of some of the songs, especially "Bruno". But the movie was a financial disappointment, FWIW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom