News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

lazyboy97o

“It’s kind of fun to do the impossible” - Walt Disney.

For some crazy reason…. I believe the company could make this happen. I have faith in the magic. Lol
I’m not saying it’s impossible, but when people are saying Disney+ is costing the company too much then I don’t really buy arguments that they should be spending more.

Basil of Baker Street

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wonder if the internet existed 70 years ago people would be whining about the Buena Vista Film Distribution Company.
BV was created because of business decisions and the regulation changes that broke up the studios owning most of the first-run theatres (making having a competing distribution company actually viable). What does that have to do with the topics here?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think people watch ESPN because its part of their cable package. I'm not so sure people are willing to pay for it as a stand alone offering.
All one needs to do is look at how big college sports are in this country.. and take note of how many STAND ALONE broadcast networks have been able to be stood-up for individual teams. That alone proves there is a market for people to pay for this stuff, even stand-alone.

The question is, is more can they survive on that audience vs their previous bundle-sized audience.

JD80

BV was created because of business decisions and the regulation changes that broke up the studios owning most of the first-run theatres (making having a competing distribution company actually viable). What does that have to do with the topics here?

Just a rough comparison of when Disney did something to change the way their content went to market.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just a rough comparison of when Disney did something to change the way their content went to market.
Or... 'two things that look alike, but are nothing alike'

Buena Vista literally was a byproduct of a new open market vs the vertically integrated studio owned theatres of the country for the decades prior. Sparked when RKO didn't want to distribute Disney's new cheap True Life Adventure films and because Disney was big enough to do it themselves.

None of it has to do with the kinds of debates going on here.

JD80

Or... 'two things that look alike, but are nothing alike'

Buena Vista literally was a byproduct of a new open market vs the vertically integrated studio owned theatres of the country for the decades prior. Sparked when RKO didn't want to distribute Disney's new cheap True Life Adventure films and because Disney was big enough to do it themselves.

None of it has to do with the kinds of debates going on here.

I'm not trying to argue with you now or before, it was just a throw away comment. Relax bro.

Mmoore29

Bringing in Staggs and Mayer as "advisors" is going to be as meaningful as Zaslav bringing in Alan Horn as an advisor, in that it won't mean jack.

And it still doesn't mean Disney is going to sell the linear networks.
There's rumors Disney will buy out Candle Media (meaning Disney would inherit Moonbug, Hello Sunshine and a minority stake of Westbrook Inc.) to have Staggs and Mayer return fully to Disney and be back in the succession debate, not to mention impact Reese Witherspoon and Will Smith's projects and effectively mean Disney is now their first-look partner.

At the very least, as I've stressed, Disney will not sell ABC, ESPN (except potentially getting the sports leagues to take minority stakes) and Disney Channel. The overseas pay-TV assets are certainly up for grabs, though.

jinx8402

For some reason there seems to be a pretty big technical hurdle to this. Hotels tried to implement something similar with Netflix and their option was to have you log into your account... putting your sensitive account info on a stranger's TV. Not great.

I'd suspect they probably don't want to setup thousands of free accounts and give out passwords to most of the hotel staff. And or maybe some bandwidth issues. It might be easier to just setup a "Disney+ lite" that could be hosted on property.
Instead of a fully functional app, they should just create a channel for the resorts that plays through different content available on Disney+ (perhaps for serialized shows they limit to only the first episode of the series). Then, instead of traditional commercials, they play content from their Disney+ youtube channel that often has featurettes & trailers of upcoming shows/movies, and also includes their monthly "What's Next on Disney+" teaser that highlights upcoming releases over the next month.

Finally, what they should figure a way to do a free trial or discount to new users who sign up during their stay at Disney Resort.

Slpy3270

There's rumors Disney will buy out Candle Media (meaning Disney would inherit Moonbug, Hello Sunshine and a minority stake of Westbrook Inc.) to have Staggs and Mayer return fully to Disney and be back in the succession debate, not to mention impact Reese Witherspoon and Will Smith's projects and effectively mean Disney is now their first-look partner.

At the very least, as I've stressed, Disney will not sell ABC, ESPN (except potentially getting the sports leagues to take minority stakes) and Disney Channel. The overseas pay-TV assets are certainly up for grabs, though.
Candle Media has nothing of value. Nothing. All the assets they have were vastly overpaid simply because Mayer and Staggs could do that.

Furthermore, the idea of Disney owning brainless Barney-like content like Cocomelon is going to make the people at Disney Animation (both TV and film) furious.

Mmoore29

Candle Media has nothing of value. Nothing. All the assets they have were vastly overpaid simply because Mayer and Staggs could do that.

Furthermore, the idea of Disney owning brainless Barney-like content like Cocomelon is going to make the people at Disney Animation (both TV and film) furious.
Well, the rumors are quite big and have appeared on TheWrap, so people are honestly talking about this. So it could very well be done.

Would I think Disney would keep Moonbug? No, but I imagine they could buy Candle Media just to spin Moonbug back off, or basically do the kind of arrangement that was done with DIC Entertainment back in 2000.

Mmoore29

Analysis is not news. TheWrap explicitly puts things like that under "Analysis" for a reason.

The same "analysis" that keeps insisting Iger wants to sell Apple to Disney.
Well I agree with you on that aspect. After all, Iger doesn't have the same relationship with Tim Cook that he did with Steve Jobs. And for all Iger musing about all that in his book, odds are that Jobs would never have wanted Apple to do that, saying, "I like you, but I don't like you THAT much."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, the rumors are quite big and have appeared on TheWrap, so people are honestly talking about this. So it could very well be done.
TheWrap article says it got its information from Puck.

Puck is behind a paywall. But its lede is 'consulting' for the duo. Whence the rumor to buy Candle?

Mmoore29

TheWrap article says it got its information from Puck.

Puck is behind a paywall. But its lede is 'consulting' for the duo. Whence the rumor to buy Candle?
I don't know where it appeared from, but is on the TheWrap. They don't say where they got the information regarding Candle Media, just that "it's out there." It might be in the full Puck article behind the paywall.

And for what it's worth, Puck also claims that negotiations regarding the strikes are to potentially resume on Friday (based on a retweet), but I don't know if there's any truth to it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't know where it appeared from, but is on the TheWrap. They don't say where they got the information regarding Candle Media, just that "it's out there." It might be in the full Puck article behind the paywall.

And for what it's worth, Puck also claims that negotiations regarding the strikes are to potentially resume on Friday (based on a retweet), but I don't know if there's any truth to it.
I can't remember for what, but I do remember ripping into articles from both sites posted here for transmitting bad information. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom