News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

flynnibus

Premium Member
So I guess you're the same type of person who says "Netflix never should've made originals, they never could make money?"

No, because I never said anything about Netflix... or the reception of their shows. I spoke to the shows that Disney overspent on and in turn have watered down their brand with products that the market is cool on at best.

There's been a hefty return on investment on these shows. Everyone I know talks about them and the movies all the time.

Well that settles it then... the buzz in your friends circle makes up for the anchor around Iger's neck as he faces the music on why the division has burnt billions without substantial progress towards the goals. And why they will not be repeating those mistakes as they course correct.

These movies, these shows WORK. Plus, Jonathan Majors' trial is about to begin. And if he wins exoneration, that will all come out in the wash.
She Hulk worked? Moonknight? Lol.. ok.

These products you talk about HAVE found new life, thank you very much. Again, they've all been well received and warmly accepted. I know because I get out and talk to people, and they all say it.
money.gif

Solo has not been rejected. The Last Jedi has not been rejected. Rise of Skywalker has not been rejected.

The market spoke... buzz with your friends doesn't usurp that... you might want to get out of your silo that you mention it.

SamusAranX

Closing the PeopleMover was necessary. It was an old attraction with almost no attendance and a maintenance nightmare.

How do you think the pivot happened then? You think that, back in 2007, Iger was briefed on all the issues facing DCA and the suspected causes by WDI, seemed to understand it (when he made that "brand withdrawal" quote) and then somehow, after 2012, he was visited by three ghosts that convinced him that creatives should never be trusted again?

No he was visited by ghosts of Marvel's past when they decided the MCU needed to be in the park(s), theming cohesiveness be damned

Mmoore29

No, because I never said anything about Netflix... or the reception of their shows. I spoke to the shows that Disney overspent on and in turn have watered down their brand with products that the market is cool on at best.

Well that settles it then... the buzz in your friends circle makes up for the anchor around Iger's neck as he faces the music on why the division has burnt billions without substantial progress towards the goals. And why they will not be repeating those mistakes as they course correct.

She Hulk worked? Moonknight? Lol.. ok.

View attachment 732980

The market spoke... buzz with your friends doesn't usurp that... you might want to get out of your silo that you mention it.
The market spoke, and Disney made billions of profit on those movies. The true fans have always supported Star Wars, from the prequels onward. They don't kneel and genuflect at the throne of only the original trilogy in the Cathedral of St. Gary Kurtz.

Marvel is doing well, and your attempts to prove otherwise fall completely flat. True, you can't exactly measure goodwill as a numerical value, but that also shows the very simple fact: Numbers have never told the entire story. The Internet has a vested interest in passing it all off as a failure, and it will endure because that's the way the Internet is. That's the way the media is. But the truth is that people love this company, love these brands, love these movies. And your attempts at alternative facts will never change it.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
And yet, Netflix is making a profit. When Disney+ is charging nearly as much as Netflix, it, too, will make a profit. Its losses in the last 2 quarters have declined quarter over quarter.
Netflix is making a profit because they can control production costs and have been able to properly price their services to match consumer demand. Also people want to watch their content.
The shows you deride as not living up to some standard, i.e., your taste, keep hitting Nielsen's top ten.
You leave out the context. For example, you have the D+ tentpole (Mando S3) making the top 10, but still behind streaming episodes of NCIS repeats. How much did Mando cost? How much did Ms. Marvel or Andor cost? How many subscribers did these tentpoles add?
We'll see what the next quarterly reports bring, but the last two quarters are in the right direction, and if continuing, will lead D+ to profitability.
If there were any expectations of recognizable improvement, the stock would not be in the place it is right now.

SamusAranX

Netflix is making a profit because they can control production costs and have been able to properly price their services to match consumer demand. Also people want to watch their content.

You leave out the context. For example, you have the D+ tentpole (Mando S3) making the top 10, but still behind streaming episodes of NCIS repeats. How much did Mando cost? How much did Ms. Marvel or Andor cost? How many subscribers did these tentpoles add?

If there were any expectations of recognizable improvement, the stock would not be in the place it is right now.
Netflix also began investment in streaming way before Disney+...in fact they all but blazed the trail. So they'd better be making a turnaround at some point. They also made the move to limit sharing which has helped so far. Does Disney have the same guts to do that?

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Marvel is doing well, and your attempts to prove otherwise fall completely flat. True, you can't exactly measure goodwill as a numerical value, but that also shows the very simple fact: Numbers have never told the entire story. The Internet has a vested interest in passing it all off as a failure, and it will endure because that's the way the Internet is. That's the way the media is. But the truth is that people love this company, love these brands, love these movies. And your attempts at alternative facts will never change it.
Everything you have just said is not true.

Please provide 2022-2023 box office stats and movie profitability figures to backup your claim.

Bender123

And yet, Netflix is making a profit. When Disney+ is charging nearly as much as Netflix, it, too, will make a profit. Its losses in the last 2 quarters have declined quarter over quarter.

The shows you deride as not living up to some standard, i.e., your taste, keep hitting Nielsen's top ten.

We'll see what the next quarterly reports bring, but the last two quarters are in the right direction, and if continuing, will lead D+ to profitability.
Again...its a question of at what point will people see where the cost isnt worth it. I really dont know that answer, but its hard to justify an increase in cost when the shows have been called disappointing by the CEO (https://variety.com/2023/film/news/marvel-flops-too-many-disney-tv-shows-bob-iger-1235669262/)

It just feels like Iger is almost there, like he is one step from finding the reason why Disney has been burning in theaters and streaming, but he just wont make that jump to actually say they are really awful and will work to improve it. He says they are "stretched too thin" or "growing too fast to build out content", but all its done to the average fan is alienate them. I dont know how you get a non-invested person into "Mando and Friends" when the whole Rebels and Clone Wars plots are from kids shows I will never get my SO to watch or why I should care about "The Marvels" when 66% of the main characters are from shows on D+ I couldnt care less about.

Iger dug this hole of content overload, lost the plot and now is scrambling for a ladder that he also already burned with park cutbacks.

Netflix basically invented the Streaming model and they are king in that world. Disney has the tools to compete, but they dont seem to have the ability to reflect on why they are failing.

Mmoore29

Again...its a question of at what point will people see where the cost isnt worth it. I really dont know that answer, but its hard to justify an increase in cost when the shows have been called disappointing by the CEO (https://variety.com/2023/film/news/marvel-flops-too-many-disney-tv-shows-bob-iger-1235669262/)

It just feels like Iger is almost there, like he is one step from finding the reason why Disney has been burning in theaters and streaming, but he just wont make that jump to actually say they are really awful and will work to improve it. He says they are "stretched too thin" or "growing too fast to build out content", but all its done to the average fan is alienate them. I dont know how you get a non-invested person into "Mando and Friends" when the whole Rebels and Clone Wars plots are from kids shows I will never get my SO to watch or why I should care about "The Marvels" when 66% of the main characters are from shows on D+ I couldnt care less about.

Iger dug this hole of content overload, lost the plot and now is scrambling for a ladder that he also already burned with park cutbacks.

Netflix basically invented the Streaming model and they are king in that world. Disney has the tools to compete, but they dont seem to have the ability to reflect on why they are failing.
Many also said Iger was just playing to Wall Street, that this isn't what he actually believes, both in that and in also talking about the linear TV assets.

Disney is doing well on those fronts. There is a decided effort to pretend otherwise, to tilt the scales and intentionally make them flop. The press, the Internet reactionaries, the right wing, the shorts, all working effectively in concert to do so. BUT THERE IS NO FUNDAMENTAL PROBLEM AT DISNEY.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And your attempts at alternative facts will never change it.
7tpzu1.jpg

You're doing great Bob.. for someone who scolds others for being 'influenced' -- your arguments have been nothing but empty promises.

Meanwhile, the CEO himself is admitting the past damaged the brand and needs correction. But hey, I sure he's doing that just to placate a few internet trolls right??

Bender123

Yup, I got Iger to throw out some sound bites just to placate my devilish desires... He's toying with billions of shareholder value just to do me a solid. Don't you wish you had friends like mine? Instead of your Moonknight loving friends?
Whats a "Moonknight"?
View attachment 732983
You're doing great Bob.. for someone who scolds others for being 'influenced' -- your arguments have been nothing but empty promises.

Meanwhile, the CEO himself is admitting the past damaged the brand and needs correction. But hey, I sure he's doing that just to placate a few internet trolls right??
Oh wow...I havent seen Baghdad Bob in forever.

SamusAranX

No, if anyone's putting their fingers in their ears, it's you. Everything your kind has brought forth for argument is nothing but projection.
My kind? And what would that be? A card-carrying AP holder who doesn't want to Disney to continue to hurt its brand and recover so I can be even happier at the parks?

Every piece of tangible evidence that has been presented to you in this thread is excused. Falling stock price? It's the stock trolls! Disney + shows having decreased viewership and diminished returns because of massive budgets? Well my cousin's uncle's best friend's doula loved it, so WRONG! Iger admitting they overextended? He's obviously lying. Indy 5, Little Mermaid, Pixar films etc performing under expectations at best? It's all Luca's and Turning Red's fault, since it went to streaming, Disney / Pixar gets 10 free bomb passes for every Covid streaming release, it's only fair (ignoring the fact the audiences showed up in droves for Barbiehiemer this weekend; I thought they were trained to only go to streaming apps for new movies?).

But other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Nubs70

No, the stock wouldn't be in the place it is now if it weren't for shorts.
?????

Uh... if you take a short position and the stock performs a little better than your strike price, you lose. People would not be taking short positions if the stock was on a level or upward trajectory.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
but still behind streaming episodes of NCIS repeats.
Series with many, many seasons such as NCIS, Friends, Seinfeld regularly make the top ten lists almost all the time because they already have hundreds of hours of content that people binge.

For a one-season series, sometimes only half-hour shows, to break through that is very commendable.

el_super

On its current trajectory, D+ is a dying platform.

LOL ... no.

I wasn't aware there was a decrease in attendance from the revamp.

Attendance isn't the metric Bob Iger cares about.

No he was visited by ghosts of Marvel's past when they decided the MCU needed to be in the park(s), theming cohesiveness be damned

I am a firm believer in keeping things simple. They knew Marvel would make them more money than "1930s Hollywood or Whatever." Just that simple. It's all about what makes the biggest return. It always is.

el_super

Was there a decrease in spending?
Decrease in satisfaction?

It didn't have to be a decrease in spending, as much as missing expected return. They spent a billion+ dollars reimagining DCA and it was still the least attended US park. And that least attended badge was in a period of relatively cheap Disneyland APs with monthly payments that gave DCA away for free.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom