News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I am curious as to what will be coming out in the next few days about this. Was Rice fired for a specific reason? Something that will be revealed soon? Or was it because Chapek felt he was insubordinate and wanted to remove a rival?

If it is the latter, don't be surprised if this eventually happens to Feige, Docter, Jennifer Lee, and others at Disney.
The BoD would never sign off on those firings.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
True…if I had a dollar for every CEO, head coach, manager, etc. that received a corporate vote of confidence and then was terminated in a short period of time…I could buy a lot of Disney stock…stay tuned…this ain’t over by a long shot.

A vote of confidence is more often than not the kiss of death.

I don't trust anything this BoD says about $lappie unless it's a statement removing him from the company. After all, they did all just get at least 429 shares of DIS stock at the end of March, with a strike price of $139.57/share, and most got 653 shares. *Checks current stock price* Hmm... down today, just over $105/share right now. Does anyone really think Bob 2.0 has their confidence right now?

Couchman's View

I am curious as to what will be coming out in the next few days about this. Was Rice fired for a specific reason? Something that will be revealed soon? Or was it because Chapek felt he was insubordinate and wanted to remove a rival?

If it is the latter, don't be surprised if this eventually happens to Feige, Docter, Jennifer Lee, and others at Disney.
Not Feige, that would cross the line of stupidity even for him...not wait.

Couchman's View

Not Fiege; that would be a really stupid move...then on second thought.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Sounds to me more like he's not a team player. Monopolizing information can lead to very bad outcomes.

Ehhh... not sharing information isn't a reason to fire your head of TV Content, particularly after they forced Kevin Mayer out. Seems Rice was well-liked within the company, and, as mentioned, a potential successor to $lappie. Clearing out someone who could challenge him sooner than later sounds like something $lappie would do. He's a crap peddler with no leadership skills and even less likability and charisma.

Last edited by a moderator:

aladdin2007

Ehhh... not sharing information isn't a reason to fire your head of TV Content, particularly after they forced Kevin Mayer out. Seems Rice was well-liked within the company, and, as mentioned, a potential successor to $lappie. Clearing out someone who could challenge him sooner than later sounds like something $lappie would do. He's a crap peddler with no leadership skills and even less likability and charisma.
this!!! I expect more will follow if he sees them as a threat to his position and or if they don't agree with the companie's forced radical leftwing agenda. $lappie is America's corporate version of putin Im sorry to say, but thats how I see him. arnold is no better. Sounds like he has them all wrapped around his finger and they will back him on everything from here on out.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

Don't disagree with your assessment of Slappie at all.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Anyone who publicly or privately doubted Chapek's longevity should be freshening up their resumes.

The board is probably keeping him around long enough so that when the original Bob's political ambitions flounder in the face of reality, he can come home to Disney and push out the current looser in charge.

el_super

It's hard to say nothing when asked about confidence in the leadership team. Silence would likely be viewed by investors as confirmation of a lack of confidence.

So? If the shareholders were displaying any form of discontent or indecisiveness toward chapek as CEO, the board would be pressed to acknowledge that as well. Being silent would be a perfect way of acknowledging concerns that major brokers had against the CEO.

But that isn't happening, and the board is comfortable supporting Chapek. It is a significant sign.

Chapek is, right now, the most experienced and probably the most qualified to hold the position. The board signaling support, would hurt their overall prospects of attempting to recruit someone new, which in theory they would already be trying to do if they were serious about replacing Chapek. Since they are not, they are in the clear to back Chapek.

Looks like he will be safe for awhile.

this!!! I expect more will follow if he sees them as a threat to his position and or if they don't agree with the companie's forced leftwing agenda.

I seriously doubt there is anyone working at the higher levels of Hollywood that has a problem with Disney's politics. Definitely not that.

Disney has been suffering from an internal power struggle kicked off by Iger. Iger was the one that wanted to reorganize how content was approved and produced, and a lot of execs had their power revoked by Iger. In that context it made sense to pick a parks person to oversee the Hollywood types, but really there are still too many egos in the room. Don't you all remember the important lessons from Super Star Limo?

Chip Chipperson

It all depends on what information he wasn't sharing, who he wasn't sharing it with, and how that impacted other people's/departements' ability to do their jobs.

ImperfectPixie

Chapek and Iger definitely have very different management styles. It is one of the reasons why I worry that Pixar, Disney Animation, Lucasfilm, and Marvel's historic independence within Disney could be at risk under the current leadership. Chapek might decide to stick his nose where it doesn't belong. Feige does NOT like that.
I was just reading that Iger revoked a lot of freedoms that had been enjoyed at various levels throughout the creative branches of the company. That's never a good idea.

As to your comments on Chapek, I wouldn't trust him to mow a lawn.

ImperfectPixie

Sometimes not sharing could be construed as hiding. If that is a factor then, as you say, it depends on what type of information wasn't being shared.
The term used in the article I posted was "monopolizing". Having worked in creative positions for my entire career, that can make doing my job extraordinarily difficult and can even lead to very costly mistakes (that are the sole fault of the information withholder...but you have to be able to prove that).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom