Changes to table service dining cancellation policy - credit card requirement expands

Amused to Death

No, and I am in the system almost daily. What browser are you using or are you by chance looking at a date greater than 180 days out?
I'm on there daily, too. I can make reservations just fine, but I haven't been able to retrieve a single one (even when trying to enter a confirmation number) for two or three weeks now. I have tried unsuccessfully with both Safari and Firefox.

Mrs.Skellington

My $0.02

I don't normally post my thoughts on here but I understand both sides. I think an easy way to solve this is through the DDP. You are allowed 1 TS per night of you stay or 7 for 7 days. There could be a system set up to do this on their website or via phone where they have it and keep track of it. If they no show, they loose a dining credit. If they no show for 3 of 4 ressies and have to pay out of pocket for the rest of their meals, I'm sure they would stop double booking. While this would only work for those on the Dining Plan, I think it would stop alot of the double booking. Mainly, its the people on the dining plan who double book ressies. I'm sure not too many people who use ToW cards double book and no show.
I know this is just my opinion but I think it might just work. :dazzle:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm on there daily, too. I can make reservations just fine, but I haven't been able to retrieve a single one (even when trying to enter a confirmation number) for two or three weeks now. I have tried unsuccessfully with both Safari and Firefox.
Try using IE or Chrome. Disney's site is notoriously buggy if everything else.

Amused to Death

Try using IE or Chrome.
I'm normally on my Mac, but I just tried IE on my Windows 7 machine, and I still get the same error at the top of the screen:

We are currently experiencing problems displaying reservations. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Again, I have no problems making new reservations, I just can't retrieve any of my existing ones.

Being only 10 minutes away, and constantly dining in the parks and resorts, I have probably hit upon some unknown limit that has managed to blow up their system. :ROFLOL:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I don't normally post my thoughts on here but I understand both sides. I think an easy way to solve this is through the DDP. You are allowed 1 TS per night of you stay or 7 for 7 days. There could be a system set up to do this on their website or via phone where they have it and keep track of it. If they no show, they loose a dining credit. If they no show for 3 of 4 ressies and have to pay out of pocket for the rest of their meals, I'm sure they would stop double booking. While this would only work for those on the Dining Plan, I think it would stop alot of the double booking. Mainly, its the people on the dining plan who double book ressies. I'm sure not too many people who use ToW cards double book and no show.
I know this is just my opinion but I think it might just work. :dazzle:

Good idea, however that would require a dining reservation system that was tied to the room reservation system. That's WAY too much infrastructure for them to keep up with.

BigTxEars

Same issue last month. I could use my iPad to pull just fine but my MacBook withSafari was a no go. :shrug:

Facepalm

Wow, just made it all the way through this epic!

Have to say I am in the Lebeau camp.

This decision, much like the reduced monorail hours has produced two discussions that just amaze me.

Disney announces something with no net benefit to the consumer, and people cheer from the rafters ?:shrug:

The other thing that has been glossed over here, is that what has been said is that if you do manage to get a charge dropped it will be considered guest recovery. Guess what happens when you have too many of those in your file?

I manage to dine out all over the world, many times on reservation, and never get charged over something like this. Doing this at a vacation destination catering to families...The mouse has some major huevos!

AEfx

Disney announces something with no net benefit to the consumer, and people cheer from the rafters ?:shrug:

Net benefit = more reservations open up in the 24 hours between the meal.

I keep seeing people posting over (and over and over and over) who are missing this one key fact and just keep saying "no benefit no benefit".

So those who whine about having to book 180 days out will have a better chance to book at 24 hours out. I think I outlined it pretty well here.

It's really not that complicated, but once people get into "victim" mode reasoning goes completely out the window.

BTW, MousePlanet is reporting that a change in party size will *not* be charged. Like any NEW system that hasn't even been implemented fully yet, it will change and be in flux. Instead of people pulling out pitchforks (or more accurately, axes) perhaps we should wait and see what the final rules end up being, and, most importantly, how it works in practice.

I know, crazy thought...

menamechris

Net benefit = more reservations open up in the 24 hours between the meal.

I keep seeing people posting over (and over and over and over) who are missing this one key fact and just keep saying "no benefit no benefit".

So those who whine about having to book 180 days out will have a better chance to book at 24 hours out. I think I outlined it pretty well here.

I think the general argument to that "benefit" is that so many people will have already made there dining arrangements months in advance. And if a reservation opens 24 hours before due to a cancellation, many people will be charged for canceling another reservation to switch. We can be honest here - this will pretty much only benefit the concierges at the hotels who are actually doing last minute bookings for people who didn't plan. A common gripe has been that concierges can't do any reservations last minute. They have now found a way to make it more of a possibility. A win for Disney - not necessarily for those who are being responsible and trying to plan..

Motorpro

Obviously, you don't. You have entitlement mentality. Since you visit WDW from outside the state, you are somehow better than the rest and somehow deserving of special privileges (like the right to have dinner that isn't a $9 QS burger in a basket). Funny how that entitlement mentality thing works.

But you (and more importantly, TDO) might want to remember that it was the locals who kept the lights on in 2001-2003 when so many folks were afraid to travel.

You might also want to realize that in the end we all lose as Disney dining continues to head down the Walmart road.

Out of your way ...:sohappy: wow ... we should all bow (where's the bowing smiley?) before people like you. ... And locals should have the ability to dine at WDW. After all, they're the folks who have to put up with all the negatives associated with having the resort in the area. The idea that locals should be second-class citizens really is so ... so ... elitist of you ... and we all know that being elite isn't considered a good thing in this country nowadays ... so why don't we just call it a snobby arrogant 'tude!

I don't know that WDW is the #1 destination any longer. I thought NYC was. And WDW was #1 back in the 70s and 80s and you could still walk up and get served a quality and reasonably priced meal.

Oh, and you still can at UNI/IOA ... but that's because nobody goes there, right?
:ROFLOL::rolleyes::drevil: ... Or is it because UNI doesn't have anything as destructive to their food and beverage operation as the DDP is to WDW!

~GFC~

The only entitalment attitude I hear is from the locals. Not only do they want Disney to pay their taxes for them ,they also think they should pay less for tickets and not have to follow the same reservation rules as every one else. You should be happyto have Disney close by and be able to go when you want without haveing to pay an airline.

Scuttle

I think the general argument to that "benefit" is that so many people will have already made there dining arrangements months in advance. And if a reservation opens 24 hours before due to a cancellation, many people will be charged for canceling another reservation to switch. We can be honest here - this will pretty much only benefit the concierges at the hotels who are actually doing last minute bookings for people who didn't plan. A common gripe has been that concierges can't do any reservations last minute. They have now found a way to make it more of a possibility. A win for Disney - not necessarily for those who are being responsible and trying to plan..

Very true. We can actually use concierge services now.

menamechris

The only entitalment attitude I hear is from the locals. Not only do they want Disney to pay their taxes for them ,they also think they should pay less for tickets and not have to follow the same reservation rules as every one else. You should be happyto have Disney close by and be able to go when you want without haveing to pay an airline.

Huh? Why the resentment? You know there is plenty of real estate in Central Florida, right?.... Don't be bitter - just move if you have such a problem with living far away...

smw

We were there in May and I made reservations for 10 at Brown Derby. I was told of the policy and gave my Amex number. Things came up and we didn't make it. I forgot about the policy and had not called to cancel.

It's now 5 months later and I've not been charged. Sometimes policies are in place to prevent bad habits on the front end, even if there is little intention of enforcing them after the fact.

menamechris

We were there in May and I made reservations for 10 at Brown Derby. I was told of the policy and gave my Amex number. Things came up and we didn't make it. I forgot about the policy and had not called to cancel.

It's now 5 months later and I've not been charged. Sometimes policies are in place to prevent bad habits on the front end, even if there is little intention of enforcing them after the fact.

The credit card policy is not in place for Brown Derby yet. It takes effect on October 26th. That's why your card was not charged. However, I would watch your credit card statement, because someone took your credit card information - and they were not authorized to do so by their employer....

smw

The credit card policy is not in place for Brown Derby yet. It takes effect on October 26th. That's why your card was not charged. However, I would watch your credit card statement, because someone took your credit card information - and they were not authorized to do so by their employer....

well, she clearly said that was the deal. this was way back in probably february of this year when i made all of our reservations with her a few months in advance of our trip. those calls are recorded and partially scripted, so i have no doubt she was doing what she was supposed to.

menamechris

well, she clearly said that was the deal. this was way back in probably february of this year when i made all of our reservations with her a few months in advance of our trip. those calls are recorded and partially scripted, so i have no doubt she was doing what she was supposed to.

Very curious. And suspicious. Glad you haven't had any unauthorized charges...

smw

yeah, i dunno. like i said, i wouldnt be surprised at all if this is one of those "rules" that is stated but not really enforced. theyd have a high percentage of people following the rules and not making multiple reservations, and when the occasional last minute cant-make-its happen it would be ok.

AEfx

Right, it's a benefit. And the Disney version of concierge isn't necessary - they just call Dining like anyone else can.

People have been bellyaching forever about having to make reservations months and months in advance. Now there is more of a chance to get one in the 24 hours before.

It will also discourage casual people from double-booking. Will some do it? Sure, they will find ways, but it's certainly a deterrent.

It's not the end all solution for everyone's situation, but it addresses one of the main concerns - and the one that I am sure Disney hears the most about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom