Changes to table service dining cancellation policy - credit card requirement expands

lebeau

I know. I was critical of this move from the beginning. But even I didn't think they'd sink that low. That's going to be brutal!

It just makes their true motives that much more apparent. :fork:

Disney makes a blatant cash grab with no benefit to guests (save arguably locals who have a better shot at same-day ressies) and Disney fans are cheering them for it. :brick:

invader

I'm almost glad they did this, if there's even a possibility you might not be there, you shouldn't make a reservation.

PolynesianPrincess

If it were me, I'd be sure to clarify before booking my next reservation...

Edit: I'm on the phone right now. I'll post an answer when I get it.

Edit #2: Daisy on the phones says, "That's a good question..." I'm on hold.

Edit #3: Daisy confirmed that you WILL be charged for any individual members of your party who do not cancel in advance

That is crazy!!! I can understand booking for a huge party of 12 and only having 6 or 7 show up but booking for 4 and having 3 show up doesn't impact their seating at all. You have to sit 3 people at a 4 person table at most places anyways. The only thing it impacts is there's one less person ordering a meal there. You wouldn't stick a random party of one at a table with 3 other people anyways so it's not like they're losing anything really by that one person not showing up.

UberPlannerMom

Last year I had a reservation that I had to hold with a cc. Probably 18 hours before the reservation it looked like it would be really out of the way to go to that restaurant due to scheduling changes. I talked to the conceirge and she found me a few other places I could eat. I asked her to cancel my cc held reservation and take a different one. She looked at me with big eyes and said, "You don't want to cancel your reservation, that will get you charged. You want to modify your reservation. Never say cancel!" So I modified my reservation- to a different time and a different restaurant. No charges! I suppose that things could come up where you just plain have to cancel but if the issue is just that you want to stay in a different park, or you want to go back to the hotel and not travel back to the park, etc. ask if you can modify your reservation.

On a different trip we thought my son had fractured his arm. We took him to the first aid station to get directions to an urgent care. While there I said, "Ahh... we have reservations. If it's broken we won't make it back in time!" The CM at the first aid station told me not to worry about it, got the reservation info from me and after we left contacted the restaurant to take care of everything. I know they did what they said because (Thank the Lord!) his arm wasn't broken and we made it back in time. When we showed up for our meal the person checking us in actually asked about his arm and was glad that we were able to finish our day!

My point with these is that sometimes things do work out well, even when you think it can't possibly!

lebeau

That is crazy!!! I can understand booking for a huge party of 12 and only having 6 or 7 show up but booking for 4 and having 3 show up doesn't impact their seating at all. You have to sit 3 people at a 4 person table at most places anyways. The only thing it impacts is there's one less person ordering a meal there. You wouldn't stick a random party of one at a table with 3 other people anyways so it's not like they're losing anything really by that one person not showing up.

That's because this policy is a blatant cash grab.

Not what I meant, but sure don't book a reservation and I'll take your place.

Your contribution to the discussion is valued.

What was your point again? :shrug:

My point with these is that sometimes things do work out well, even when you think it can't possibly!

Yes, things can work out. I have littel doubt that Disney does the right thing more often than not. Still, that's cold comfort when Disney decides taking your money is more important.

$10 for a baby that wasn't even going to eat! :fork:

UberPlannerMom

$10 for a baby that wasn't even going to eat! :fork:

Hey, believe me I can understand why that was frustrating. As it is I am worried that they will count my new baby so that they can add in the preset tip amount. We are taking our next trip with my cousin and her child, which means that if they count my baby we will have 6 people. Mostly I don't want that to be the case because I don't want them to expect me to pay her tip amounts!

aladdin2007

I'm almost glad they did this, if there's even a possibility you might not be there, you shouldn't make a reservation.

Really? so what if you wake up one morning and your sick and cant make it that day and you want to cancel that morning, and now you will be charged if you do that. This is where its a very bad move and nothing more than to gain more revenue for their greed. On the other hand, its good to have more availability and to try and curb those that take advantage and dont bother to cancel. But issues do arise and now ten bucks a person is going to be charged if something comes up and you cant make it. Ten dollars per reservation I can understand a little better but ten per person in the party is ridiculous.

John

You get charged a fee for missing a doctor's appointment. Not a dinner reservation. There's a big difference.

People will continue to "cheat" by double booking. They will just be sure to call to cancel the extra appointments with a cc hold. This won't have much impact at all on double booking, if that's what people are expecting.

Sure it will, will it totaly eradicate the peoblem all together? of course not. But it will help. Here is why....say you double....triple book. You call with your bogus excuse to cancel said ADR. They pull your ressie up....check the card number....they then can see if you have multi-bookings....bingo...you get charged....

I know....you can use different cards to make your ressies. as I said there isnt a "bullet" proof system but it is the best they can come up with right now. Atleast give Disney some credit. I think they have already thought about the situations people have mentioned. They know their buisness better then any of us do.

And to those who say that DDP is the ruination of WDW is silly. It makes money....its a buisness. Therefore helps finance refurbs, exspansion etc.

NewfieFan

Hopefully not!! If they DO decide to charge for those who do not show up, remind me not to make the ADR's on my CC when traveling with my large family... They're sometimes known to just go with the flow and not show up for our ADRs... Well not on my dime dear family, not on my dime!

I'm thinking the same thing! I can't believe they're going to charge for members of the party not showing up!?!
As I mentioned earlier in the thread I usually travel with my parents and in the future it will be my brother and his wife. I can promise you that plans will change with these people and they will miss a meal that we want to go to. I'd be pi$$ed if I showed up for the ADR with the rest of the group but was charged $20 (or whatever) b/c two members didn't show up!!!
This is going to make planning a family trip really hard!

Maybe if you bring them a signed letter from your doctor they will waive the fee.

:lookaroun

Seriously though! Although I think a trip to the doc is going to cost more than the $40 my credit card will be charged. Maybe we can get notes from first aid!?! Can you imagine the lines at first aid if they starting doing this... you'll have to FastPass first aid in the future! :lol:

lebeau

Hey, believe me I can understand why that was frustrating. As it is I am worried that they will count my new baby so that they can add in the preset tip amount. We are taking our next trip with my cousin and her child, which means that if they count my baby we will have 6 people. Mostly I don't want that to be the case because I don't want them to expect me to pay her tip amounts!

From what I understand, that is exactly what they will do. I have seen people here complain about it happening to them.

How long ago did this incident occur?

18 months ago. And I'm as angry now as I was then. Disney dropped the ball.

This was my most recent trip to Disney. So in those terms, it may as well have happened yesterday. They haven't had a chance to redeem themselves in my eyes.

Why? You think this isn't happening right now? I think it's only going to become more common.

goofysgurl

I know. I was critical of this move from the beginning. But even I didn't think they'd sink that low. That's going to be brutal!

It just makes their true motives that much more apparent. :fork:

Disney makes a blatant cash grab with no benefit to guests (save arguably locals who have a better shot at same-day ressies) and Disney fans are cheering them for it. :brick:

Yeah...I'm inclined to agree. This has nothing to do with double booking or making reservations you can't or won't keep and everything to do with squeezing every possible dollar they can out of you.

:mad:

lebeau

Seriously though! Although I think a trip to the doc is going to cost more than the $40 my credit card will be charged. Maybe we can get notes from first aid!?! Can you imagine the lines at first aid if they starting doing this... you'll have to FastPass first aid in the future! :lol:

Maybe you can get Mickey to sign your autograph book? :lookaroun

njDizFan

And then WDW can announce their new attraction, the paramedic meet and greet.

Of course if you want the autograph you then waive your right for a refund on your ADR

lebeau

And then WDW can announce their new attraction, the paramedic meet and greet.

Of course if you want the autograph you then waive your right for a refund on your ADR

Also, you're going to need an appointment to see Dr. Mickey. He books up about 6 months in advance. Failure to keep your scheduled appointment results in a $10 fee and a spanking.

mp2bill

Should I feel a sense guilty pleasure that this news makes me happy? Perhaps people will now feel the pain of their inconsiderate behavior.

Agreed! No need to feel guilty though. The only people this hurts is the people who abuse the system.

Disaddict

Regardless, just like the RFID mugs, FP return enforcement, etc... I hope this cancellation fee does take hold and stays. Hate me if you want but I can see this being a good thing. Maybe it will blow up in their faces by resulting in lower TS bookings but I doubt it. It's not like they are doing this at all of their restaurants. Just the signature ones which would put them in a higher level of service so would be subject to the same rules as those off property that have this same policy. I know some of you complain that they are not all "signature" places. Maybe they are changing. Disney has been shaking up several things lately including combining the lunch and dinner menus at SciFi and 50's. Maybe they are going to make all of those on the list a signature. And I loved the remark about 5 star dining not being the same as a Disney table service. LOL Cute. But again, these are Disney's signature places, not SciFi Dine In. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom