Changes to private dining hours at Walt Disney World Resort hotels

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They may have been making money (questionable given modern tastes in relation to RS offerings, but certainly possible), it probably just wasn’t a high enough margin to continue to have it. Even profitable offerings can be cut if they aren’t operating at the margin needed.

Again, we want Disney to be an industry leader but this is another case of them following the larger market. Room Service is not the money making machine it was in the good old days, and most major chains have made changes reflecting that. The WDW deluxe resorts may be prices at the luxury level of Four Seasons/Waldorf, but the truth is their service standards are more in line with your standard Marriott or Hilton. Those brands don’t see 24 hour service as a neccesary amenity, and there will likely be a day that the luxury brands phase them out as well.
Agreed. They wouldn’t have to lose money, just not be profitable enough to continue. I guess based on the reaction and numerous people stating that they used it frequently I thought it would be popular enough to be a big winner.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Wasn't there some test where they were going to bring you a bag of food and hang it on your door instead of the whole room service setup with the table and the tablecloth and real dishes?
I do remember something about that a while back. Not sure if they ever tried it. That could be something along the lines of what @flynnibus posted about hotels looking to offer an alternative to full room service.

TrojanUSC

Wasn't there some test where they were going to bring you a bag of food and hang it on your door instead of the whole room service setup with the table and the tablecloth and real dishes?

They tried this but got a lot of complaints because, again, it is something one expects at a 3-star airport hotel not a "five star" vacation resort. Charging $19 for a Caesar salad, only to have it dropped off in plastic container outside your door is not exactly the level of show or service they were aiming for. Sadly, now it's just "starve."

AndrewsJ

Dear Lord people eat before you leave the park if you are hungry and stop going to Disney Parks if you can’t accept the changes they make to reduce waste and cut costs. This isn’t a WDW fan forum. It is a place for spoiled entitled people to complain when they don’t get their way. Plane and simple.

Casper Gutman

Dear Lord people eat before you leave the park if you are hungry and stop going to Disney Parks if you can’t accept the changes they make to reduce waste and cut costs. This isn’t a WDW fan forum. It is a place for spoiled entitled people to complain when they don’t get their way. Plane and simple.
It's a place for people who are actually able to look critically at the actions of a major corporation even if they like some of its products.

How misplaced are your priorities that you root for a billion dollar conglomerate to "reduce waste and cut costs" as they offer you a declining product at a rapidly inflating price? That thinking is utterly baffling.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I have also seen some full service properties get rid of traditional room service all together and replace it with a grab ‘n go type restaurant that will do room delivery during certain, limited, times of day.

brb1006

Then visit Tokyo Disney Resort or something.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As far as I know the only resorts that had 24 hour room service were CR, GF and BC/YC. I always assumed that was because of the convention space at those resorts. It’s been my experience traveling that room service is still relatively popular with business travelers who often are not paying the bill personally.

AEfx

Do you know that most dining locations in the park close hours before the park does?

And the one or two that may remain open are super-crowded, and almost nothing is available in the last hour or two.

Stop being so entitled to think that you can dictate to others - if you don't like this forum, you are welcome to go on that "plane" back where you came from.

Lets Respect

They tried this but got a lot of complaints because, again, it is something one expects at a 3-star airport hotel not a "five star" vacation resort. Charging $19 for a Caesar salad, only to have it dropped off in plastic container outside your door is not exactly the level of show or service they were aiming for. Sadly, now it's just "starve."

Thanks! So they did try it. I didn't think this was a bad idea...I'm personally fine with someone just leaving food hung on my door rather than wheeling in a big table and all that. But I can see how it failed for the price point.

Lets Respect

As far as I know the only resorts that had 24 hour room service were CR, GF and BC/YC. I always assumed that was because of the convention space at those resorts. It’s been my experience traveling that room service is still relatively popular with business travelers who often are not paying the bill personally.

That's very true. They also have meetings and stuff all day into the evening and often don't eat enough at business dinners and come back and chow on a sandwich at night

matt9112

That's not the point. The point is that you are paying "five star" hotel prices and most people, including myself, expect the level of service to be comparable of that to a similar hotel elsewhere in the world. It's no wonder they are losing so many premium guests to the Waldorf and FS. It's embarssing.

well its well known that Disney deluxe falls short of any true "5 star" your paying for the "disney touches" and to be honest im a sucker i love those touches but the pricing is egregious.

Maccabee18

Is anyone really surprised that they are reducing this service? I mean how often do you get back from the parks after 11p and the drink machines are already closed, including the filtered water when its so humid and you're dying of thirst. Now that is what infuriates me because I refuse to drink that disgusting sulfured water that Florida is known for. (I fill my old cups with water so I have them, but the machines should just be left available)

This service was likely reduced as a result of it not being used. And really, who actually used this considered that the cost was already overpriced on the overpriced food that was already in the quick serve areas. Most of the resorts also have a refrigerated section with pantry style items that have probably been offsetting the need for private room dining late at night.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's very true. They also have meetings and stuff all day into the evening and often don't eat enough at business dinners and come back and chow on a sandwich at night
For me when I’m traveling for a work conference there are 2 reasons to get room service. The main one is I’m working in the room following meetings all day and it’s a time saver. Not an issue here since it’s most likely going to be before 2am anyway. The other reason is I’m out drinking. Those are the best conferences but don’t happen for me too often. Then I could maybe see not having room service after 2am being a potential issue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom