Changes to ID requirements for alcohol purchases at Walt Disney World

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yup that's what I'm talking about! Disney stated government Id with passport! Technically we as Canadians have government issue id (insurance card ) if we don't have a license! I'm not complaining but if your gonna state something abide by it! We have only been America's neighbors for how long???

[/quote]

What Disney is driving towards is what the state law requires.

Since it seems confusing to people in this thread.. here is the Florida law itself regarding what is acceptable form of ID
and if the licensee attempted to verify the person's age by checking one of the following forms of identification with respect to the person:
(a) A driver’s license, issued by any government agency, domestic or foreign, provided it includes a photograph;
(b) Identification cards issued by any state, provided it includes a photograph;
(c) Passports;
(d) An identification card issued by any branch of the United States military which shows the customer is currently serving in the United States Armed Services or is a family member of a person currently serving in the United States Armed Services.

DJMoore2011

I wouldn't be so sure, depending on implementation of all this. I had thought that, being in my 60's, I was long past getting "carded." Not so. On a recent trip to the state of Washington, my 50ish wife and my 60ish self were carded. At first we thought it was a joke. It wasn't. Server was dead serious and told us she couldn't serve us unless we produced the proper ID. The explanation seemed related to anti-discrimination or anti-"profiling" something, whereby the restaurant could escape any accusation of discrimination by enforcing the rule that everyone, no matter their painfully obvious age, had to show ID. Or maybe it was a Washington State thing, who knows. Concerning Disney, which would be equally eager to not be accused of anything discriminatory, I wonder if, in tandem with these new ID regulations, they are implementing something similar, where everyone, even geezers, have to show an official ID. Or maybe it's the New World Order......for the conspiracy-minded......and apparently, REAL passports in Epcot!

It's the same in the State of Indiana, your suppose to be carded every time you order or buy alcohol. Yet I have gone to a couple of restaurants and ordered a drink sitting at the bar got carded a week later some place not carded.

When I was a cashier I got a lot of flack for asking for ID from EVERYONE, I was not going to try to guess someone's age. Plus if Excise came it, not only would the store get a fine but I would have gotten a fine. And working part time at minimum wage it was not worth it to me to pay a fine.

mickeysbrother

That is the key. If that card is not accepted in Canada as ID then it will not be accepted in the US as ID.

See I did not know that! Everyone here uses there Health card as an id. It has a picture and a birth date on it! It's a government issued card! Anyways I have a drivers liscence so I don't have to carry around my passport. Didn't know this issue would confuse so many people!

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

What Disney is driving towards is what the state law requires.

Since it seems confusing to people in this thread.. here is the Florida law itself regarding what is acceptable form of ID[/quote]

Well according to that a drivers licence is fine.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well according to that a drivers licence is fine.

Yes it is for the state... But there is nothing to say a business can not be more strict.

I think the problem with foreign Ids is the staff can't be reasonably trained on what they should look like, etc.

I do find these new policies overbearing -as are these 100% carding policies that are now popular here in the states.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yes it is for the state... But there is nothing to say a business can not be more strict.

I think the problem with foreign Ids is the staff can't be reasonably trained on what they should look like, etc.

I do find these new policies overbearing -as are these 100% carding policies that are now popular here in the states.
Bingo!

Bobs87

We have just returned from our trip to disneyland California. Having never had any problems on the numerous occasions we have been to WDW, my husband and I carried our UK driving license with us for photo ID. This was accepted at various points in the park when my husband went to buy himself a beer. However, one location near paradise pier refused to sell him alcohol saying his drivers license wasn't sufficient ID. As we were travelling with my parents my dad proceeded to then buy two pints (one for my (30year old) husband). A few minutes later the CM who had refused his sale then appeared with her supervisor asking where they had bought the drinks. There was a confrontation in front of a lot of other guests that I felt was totally uncalled for. Surely if you US drivers licenses are good enough so should EU! Disney cannot possibly expect guests to walk around parks and go on rides whilst carrying an important document such as your passport.

unkadug

We have just returned from our trip to disneyland California. Having never had any problems on the numerous occasions we have been to WDW, my husband and I carried our UK driving license with us for photo ID. This was accepted at various points in the park when my husband went to buy himself a beer. However, one location near paradise pier refused to sell him alcohol saying his drivers license wasn't sufficient ID. As we were travelling with my parents my dad proceeded to then buy two pints (one for my (30year old) husband). A few minutes later the CM who had refused his sale then appeared with her supervisor asking where they had bought the drinks. There was a confrontation in front of a lot of other guests that I felt was totally uncalled for. Surely if you US drivers licenses are good enough so should EU! Disney cannot possibly expect guests to walk around parks and go on rides whilst carrying an important document such as your passport.
I agree that it was uncalled for and that they overreacted.

However, the CM was just going by the letter of the law. If an ABC agent witnessed the transaction it would be the Cast Member who got fined and possibly jailed.

A LOT of liquor laws are stupid and antiquated but we have to abide by them anyway.

ExtinctJenn

I agree that it was uncalled for and that they overreacted.

However, the CM was just going by the letter of the law. If an ABC agent witnessed the transaction it would be the Cast Member who got fined and possibly jailed.

A LOT of liquor laws are stupid and antiquated but we have to abide by them anyway.
I'd have to agree with this... while the situation was inappropriate (especially coming back to the group afterwards in front of other guests), the laws surrounding the purchase of alcohol in the states are very strict and in a lot of cases, Disney was selling to folks without true sufficient proof of age provided as per those laws. If at any point they sold alcohol to a minor (under 21) and it was proved that it was due to not following the rules of what is and is not considered valid proof of age, they not only could get fined and receive some bad press but the fed could decide that Disney is no longer allowed a liquor license on any of it's United States properties. Ultimately that would be very bad for Disney as it's more than just selling alcohol in the parks... losing their license would mean it's lost everywhere (resorts/restaurants included). If the US laws have a list of what is and is not valid proof of age, and the "is" list doesn't include a UK driver's license, then Disney has to abide by that. CMs who sell alcohol to someone using an item that is not on that list could risk losing their job and damaging Disney's reputation so while it stinks, and was handled wrong by the CM, ultimately they were just covering their butt so-to-speak. :D

Bobs87

Don't get me wrong, I am all for IDing and enforcing rules and understand the cast member was "covering her butt" but I think returning to the guest is a little bit of an over reaction, and I think after seeing for herself the ID that was presented and realising the age of my husband, the supervisor nearly admitted that herself. My point was that hopefully the change to ID would hopefully make the policy more consistent, as across the park no other place asked for further ID. Consistency would lead to less embarrassment for guests.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Don't get me wrong, I am all for IDing and enforcing rules and understand the cast member was "covering her butt" but I think returning to the guest is a little bit of an over reaction, and I think after seeing for herself the ID that was presented and realising the age of my husband, the supervisor nearly admitted that herself. My point was that hopefully the change to ID would hopefully make the policy more consistent, as across the park no other place asked for further ID. Consistency would lead to less embarrassment for guests.

The reason for going back to the table was the passing of drinks to a person whose age hadn't been verified. That's a huge no-no in itself.. hence the second 'round' so to speak. By doing an end-around of the ID check, you invited that situation and escalated it.

luv

A private insurance card is legal ID for alcohol purchase?
I think Canadians have government insurance, so it would probably be a government ID. I don't know if that fits Disney's rules or not.

We've gone a little bit off the deep end in America, I think. If you want cold medicine that works, you have to show ID so they can keep logs and make sure you aren't a smurf. It's a little wacky, but that's how it is.

unkadug

I think Canadians have government insurance, so it would probably be a government ID. I don't know if that fits Disney's rules or not.

We've gone a little bit off the deep end in America, I think. If you want cold medicine that works, you have to show ID so they can keep logs and make sure you aren't a smurf. It's a little wacky, but that's how it is.
Smurf's can't take cold medicine? How do they get over a cold?

luv

Smurf's can't take cold medicine? How do they get over a cold?
:D
Lol, in case anyone doesn't know, people who buy cold medicine for guys who make meth are called smurfs. I don't even know why. Ask a DEA agent (or a smurf, if you know one, which I hope you do not.)

I think actual when actual smurfs get sick, all the other smurfs sing that la-la-lala-lala song and it makes the sick one better. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom