Changes to ID requirements for alcohol purchases at Walt Disney World

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, there is probably a way around that in that they could require the real identification up front and it is scanned and associated with your band and displayed upon checkout. I'm sure too, with Disney's pull, they could work something out if they really wanted to. Just not sure there is really a need. ;)

I think it would be great if they could - but the reality is they don't control the decision. It's the state and counties that do. Disney could chose to risk not having a firm defendable position (think.. the bar that doesn't card you) - but more and more companies are err'ing to the side of 100% check to ensure they don't expose themselves to the wrath of ABC and the law.

ExtinctJenn

I think it would be great if they could - but the reality is they don't control the decision. It's the state and counties that do. Disney could chose to risk not having a firm defendable position (think.. the bar that doesn't card you) - but more and more companies are err'ing to the side of 100% check to ensure they don't expose themselves to the wrath of ABC and the law.
Absolutely! My comment was only that Disney has an awful lot of pull in that state so I could see them partnering to come up with something and/or alter a law slightly. Wouldn't be the first time. LOL

fbp

I may be wrong but I think they are referring to the insurance ID that Canadians have as a result of the gov't health insurance program.

Even that isn't legal ID in my province, but could very well be in another province. Some health cards don't even have a birth date or picture on them!

dave&di

I've always carried my passport around when travelling in the US, I have no problem with that. Am I right in thinking I can now carry around a photocopy instead?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I've always carried my passport around when travelling in the US, I have no problem with that. Am I right in thinking I can now carry around a photocopy instead?
Apparently so. We never carry our passports since the current Mrs Sak had hers half inched at the MK years ago.

tampabrad

Bottom line is the ID requirements are state law. In the state of Florida, one must have a valid ID on them at all times. Magic Bands are not valid photo ID's no matter how much pull Disney has.

As a bartender, I can be fined, go to jail, and/or be prohibited from working in or owning a bar in Florida if I am caught serving a minor or not checking for proper id. So, no matter how much you spend on you vacation or if you think you don't need to carry certain identification, don't plan on risking my job or the liquor license of my establishment because of it. It is the law.

If you want to pay me $70,000 a year not to work, I will gladly serve you a drink without a valid ID.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Bottom line is the ID requirements are state law. In the state of Florida, one must have a valid ID on them at all times. Magic Bands are not valid photo ID's no matter how much pull Disney has.

As a bartender, I can be fined, go to jail, and/or be prohibited from working in or owning a bar in Florida if I am caught serving a minor or not checking for proper id. So, no matter how much you spend on you vacation or if you think you don't need to carry certain identification, don't plan on risking my job or the liquor license of my establishment because of it. It is the law.

If you want to pay me $70,000 a year not to work, I will gladly serve you a drink without a valid ID.
Not to mention DRAM Shop liability.

You hit the nail on the head...and, I don't see how any of this is a "change"...liqueur identification laws haven't changed in Florida. This is a silly thread.

So, for those of you who are curious what is and isn't valid identification for the purchase of booze in a state...lets clear this up.

1) A state issued photo ID or drivers license
2) A Passport or Passport card (issued US or not)

That's it. If you have a diners club card, or a credit card, or a Sam's Club Card...sorry, nope, not legal.

"International Driver's Licenses" and foreign issued drivers licenses do not count, by the letter of US law.

So, carry one of these items with you if you want some "sauce".

Thanks.

mickeysbrother

If the Insurance card is government issued, then it would work ....if it is issued by a private company then it would NOT work. :cautious:

The key phrase here is "Government Issued".

It is a government issued id but Disney does not accept it. But will have her passport on us anyways.

mickeysbrother

A private insurance card is legal ID for alcohol purchase?

Not a private insurance lol.. Everyone is covered in Canada for health care. We all have a health care card issued by our provinces (states)... Legal form of official government id in Canada. Yes we can walk into a hospital and walk out and never get billed for anything. But we do have to wait 1 to 15 hours to get seen by a doctor..

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Not a private insurance lol.. Everyone is covered in Canada for health care. We all have a health care card issued by our provinces (states)... Legal form of official government id in Canada. Yes we can walk into a hospital and walk out and never get billed for anything. But we do have to wait 1 to 15 hours to get seen by a doctor..
It is still not acceptable for booze here in the US...sorry.

fbp

I'd be curious to find out exactly who issues theses Canadian Insurance cards. That might explain why they are not considered a "Legal" form of ID.

In Ontario, government issued health cards are not an acceptable form of ID for age verification. Many places will let folks use them anyway, as the newer editions have birth dates and pictures on them, but they aren't actually supposed to and they aren't required to.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
In Ontario, government issued health cards are not an acceptable form of ID for age verification. Many places will let folks use them anyway, as the newer editions have birth dates and pictures on them, but they aren't actually supposed to and they aren't required to.
Well...there you go.

If the issuing country does not accept them as valid ID, them neither should the US of A.

fbp

I'm guessing they would accept Canadian health cards as ID in WDW. They look a lot like a licence. Only one way to find out and it's probably YMMV any-who!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom