Changes to Fastpass+ Tiers at Hollywood Studios Effective 8.29

BigThunderMatt

However if we (WDW is a mass blob of a customer base) start paying $50-100 a day to get in shorter lines for an aging slate of rides we’ve been on forever...IN ADDITION to paying $125 to make the Mickey head spin??

I mean, isn't that what Universal is already doing? I get their slate isn't aging as much since they have one opening day attraction left at USF and IOA is going the same route, but they've been raising their ticket prices in step with Disney, they have a third theme park (I don't count VB as a theme park) on the way, and express has kept on trucking. And for a while you couldn't even use it at the major Harry Potter rides (I believe Forbidden Journey allows it now, not sure about Gringotts as I haven't been in a bit) but people still bought it.

I think it's just another sign that time has become a bigger commodity than money. So many of us now want to maximize what little free time we have that we are willing to pay for the convenience of getting more of it. That's why things like grocery delivery services have taken off as much as they have. Anything we can do to save time is more and more becoming worth the cost. So instead of something like paid FastPass having a breaking point in terms of cost, it's really going to be 'how valuable is your time to you?'

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, isn't that what Universal is already doing? I get their slate isn't aging as much since they have one opening day attraction left at USF and IOA is going the same route, but they've been raising their ticket prices in step with Disney, they have a third theme park (I don't count VB as a theme park) on the way, and express has kept on trucking. And for a while you couldn't even use it at the major Harry Potter rides (I believe Forbidden Journey allows it now, not sure about Gringotts as I haven't been in a bit) but people still bought it.

I think it's just another sign that time has become a bigger commodity than money. So many of us now want to maximize what little free time we have that we are willing to pay for the convenience of getting more of it. That's why things like grocery delivery services have taken off as much as they have. Anything we can do to save time is more and more becoming worth the cost. So instead of something like paid FastPass having a breaking point in terms of cost, it's really going to be 'how valuable is your time to you?'

Who’s aspiring to replicate universal?

Orlando and it’s business has always been driven by its highs and lows. Prices get comparatively stupid in “boom” times and are ground down to somewhat normal ones over time in the crashes...

So after traveling through several and living/working through a couple others...this last 7-8 years or so shows me that the formula may be finally broken for good. Both the management short sighted, lower value/quality trends and the customers willingness to vote against themselves.

The wheel is broken in my opinion. More to follow.

I think anyone paying $50 a day for fast passes to magic kingdom is certifiably nuts. It’s a ticket surcharge and the product doesn’t justify it. But I always lose these battles...years later people realize it sucked when the dust settles

Last edited:

Kman101

This also seems like an effort to push more guests into using Star Tours as Tier 2. ST definitely has the capacity and I have to wonder if guests aren't utilizing it much. How is FP attendance at Star Tours?

djlaosc

This also seems like an effort to push more guests into using Star Tours as Tier 2. ST definitely has the capacity and I have to wonder if guests aren't utilizing it much. How is FP attendance at Star Tours?

The problem with Star Tours' FP is that they merge far too early (or at least did last time I used it - 2016) for it to be of use unless there is a really long queue - is there any reason why they don't just keep two separate queues until they allocate you to your speeder?

Robinsad

Universal has literally been using the system for years so the profit it generates clearly isn't being impacted enough by guest complaints to have them even consider getting rid of it. As long as Disney caps the number of paid FP+ they sell, and keeps a certain percentage still free and adhering to the current system, it should be fine, as it's not going to change the number of people going through the FastPass line. Will it reduce the number of standard FP+ allotments? Yes. But Disney doesn't make a profit on goodwill and sure, it's probably going to upset people if they switch to a system like this, but we also live in a capitalist economy and if people can afford to skip the lines, they're going to pay to skip the lines, people who can't afford it be damned. And if Disney has proven anything with the surge of upcharge options over the last few years it's that they value the guests who are willing to pay top dollar the most over virtually anyone else. Is it great? No. But honestly, I would take it any day of the week over the current system.

I'm not convinced that charging for fast passes makes money. When I first found out about free fast passes it seemed like a realisation that every minute I'm in a queue is a minute I'm not spending in a gift shop/concession stand

MickeyLuv'r

But if the early morning magic event wasn't taking place, the park would open as normal at 8/9am, the fact the event takes place doesn't affect those who don't want to pay for shorter lines.

Disney are using the FP+ data to try and minimise staffing levels anyway. The parks are also busier than ever before. Lines will be long whether the event takes place or not.
huh?

WDW visitors have limited stamina. Most folks don't last from Rope Drop until park close, and they especially don't last from EMM opening to park close.

I liken it to refillable mugs. Folks not only pay to wash their own cups, they also forget that their time is worth $. Instead of paying a few $ for a drink by the pool, they walk all the way to the food court and back to get a drink.

In the old days, few folks ate TS meals at 6:45am or 4pm (dine/show packages). Now some folks do.

In practice this = greater capacity to feed more people, but better dispersal also helps those who dine at more traditional times.

In my experience, folks mostly only pay attention to posted ride wait times. They kind of forget about the amount of time they spent waiting in line at the food court register, and time spent walking between the bus stop and the AK front gate.

The pre-paid parties also serve other functions. In the old days, people stayed out of the parks on very wet/hot/cold days, but they aren't as likely to skip and event if they paid an extra $50pp for it.

This goes for the people who pay for CL FP as well. Maybe some are rich enough to blow off their FP, but most will make sure they don't miss their pre-paid FP.

Last edited:
IMO there is a A LOT of assumptions being made in this thread without any official word from Disney. It also seems there are a lot of people who don't necessarily like Disney World that much lol... Do we just think Disney makes decisions to their customers off and make them never want to come again? Clearly whatever they do, it's for some reason that might not make total sense, but you can't think it's to people off. If a decision means people have to pay more money, then of course you have an argument there and opening a dialog with Disney fans is important to understand why and what can be done. But for some pretty large speculation of changing tiers like this with no official word from Disney just yet and getting pretty darn upset isn't going to make it better. If you're that upset, then don't anymore...

Just my two cents on this. Seems whenever there's a new rumor out there, the VAST majority of people on here are upset about it.

BigThunderMatt

When I first found out about free fast passes it seemed like a realisation that every minute I'm in a queue is a minute I'm not spending in a gift shop/concession stand

Correct. Which is why they now want you to book it in advance. With a paid system not only would you be spending less time in lines and more time on shopping/dining theoretically, you would be PAYING them to have more time to pay them to shop and eat.

BigThunderMatt

IMO there is a A LOT of assumptions being made in this thread without any official word from Disney.

Welcome to WDWMagic. Also there are a lot of realists here. We like Disney but we are also very critical of it. There is a time and a place for upcharging (and I think the current state of FP+ warrants it personally) but there are many times there are not and Disney has a habit of trying to upcharge for every little thing lately.

nickys

Premium Member
Right.

So two FPs and gtho.

For some, maybe. If you don’t want to do anything else.

I always fastpass Indy though. First because it’s a must do for me, and second because I find that queue a killer.

Also, we loved going at Christmas so much, our next trip will also be at the same time. And I saw people being turned away for the afternoon shows, in fact two groups were complaining bitterly this was the third show they hadn’t got into (quite why they hadn’t taken the hint and shown up earlier I have no clue). So I won’t take the chance of not getting in.

ToTBellHop

For some, maybe. If you don’t want to do anything else.

I always fastpass Indy though. First because it’s a must do for me, and second because I find that queue a killer.

Also, we loved going at Christmas so much, our next trip will also be at the same time. And I saw people being turned away for the afternoon shows, in fact two groups were complaining bitterly this was the third show they hadn’t got into (quite why they hadn’t taken the hint and shown up earlier I have no clue). So I won’t take the chance of not getting in.
I was more suggesting this was the goal. They want their biggest fans (resort guests paying $700/night) to wake up at 4 am, do SWGE from 6-9, go on two rides, and Skyliner it over to Epcot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
IMO there is a A LOT of assumptions being made in this thread without any official word from Disney. It also seems there are a lot of people who don't necessarily like Disney World that much lol... Do we just think Disney makes decisions to **** their customers off and make them never want to come again? Clearly whatever they do, it's for some reason that might not make total sense, but you can't think it's to **** people off. If a decision means people have to pay more money, then of course you have an argument there and opening a dialog with Disney fans is important to understand why and what can be done. But for some pretty large speculation of changing tiers like this with no official word from Disney just yet and getting pretty darn upset isn't going to make it better. If you're that upset, then don't anymore...

Just my two cents on this. Seems whenever there's a new rumor out there, the VAST majority of people on here are upset about it.
1. You do realize what goes on on these boards, correct?
It is ultimately a discussion to waste time.

Other places are to sell things...some others are where retired dentists exercise their evil juju so they aren’t a danger to themselves and the good people of the low country. Different strokes, but same concept.

2. Nobody here (well...few) hates Disney or its parks. But many are “fatigued” by the management. It hasn’t been easy and it usually is a battle on some level.

3. The goal of the management is to extra as much money...from as many people as possible...in as many ways possible...at every second.

Yes...that pi$$es people off. But neither thing will change if we talk about it.

nickys

Premium Member
I believe you will have to use your first three before getting access to another tier 1 in the same park, not positive though.

You don’t have to actually use them. You can let them expire, although this sometimes doesn’t work properly. If they don’t drop off MDE, you end up having to waste time at Guest Services getting it fixed. Better to at least tap in and then modify the next one to an earlier time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You don’t have to actually use them. You can let them expire, although this sometimes doesn’t work properly. If they don’t drop off MDE, you end up having to waste time at Guest Services getting it fixed. Better to at least tap in and then modify the next one to an earlier time.

The system is very “glitchy”...the only way to have a good shot at a plan is to book 3, use them as early as you can...then allow the system to let you go beyond.

It’s why I always laugh when people say: “I get 4, 5, 6...no problem”....

You almost have to blow your O-ring trying to find a day, time and bug eying the app to do that. Probably better hobbies to have

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom