Changes to FASTPASS may be coming

lentesta

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney was awarded a US patent on March 17 for enhancements to the FASTPASS system. Among the changes:

1) The ability to choose your return time window from a menu of available times.

2) "Immediate Freebie FASTPASS" - where you'd presumably get one front-of-the-line ticket

3) Some sort of "Unlimited Front of the Line" FASTPASS for all the FASTPASS rides.

4) The ability to make FASTPASS reservations via web, TV, cellphone, or regular phone days in advance.

The patent is explicit in saying that these individual features can be segmented by things like which hotel you're staying at, with higher-priced hotels getting more benefits.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Looks like they might be trying to do something like Universal’s Resort Guest fast pass. I hope they can pull it off without causing a big problem to the regular guests that don’t meet whatever qualifications they elect to put on it. I have always been a little leery of such a system working at WDW due shear volume of guests that walk through the front gates each day.

Captain Hank

Hmmm, I don't particularly like the "higer priced hotels get higher benefits" part. All of the others, however, sound interesting, especially choosing the available window. I wonder how the advace reservation fastpass would work.

Moustronaut

Master Yoda said:
Looks like they might be trying to do something like Universal’s Resort Guest fast pass.

But if it's similar to what Universal is doing... how did Disney get awarded a patent on this? If someone else is doing the same thing, wouldn't that constitute "prior art"?

CTXRover

My only hope is that they keep FP as equal for all guests as possible. One thing I've criticized Universal's Express pass system for in the past is that despite the fact everyone pays the same to get in the park during operating hours, not all guests are treated equally. Depending on where you stay, some get access in front of everybody else. That's why I think Extra Magic Hours is a much more appropriate style on-site resort benefit than unlimited ride access during operating hours. At one time, depending on the type of pass you had at Universal also determined how many express passes one could have at one time. I am also not a fan of turning the program into an extra cost for an "unlimited FP package", which is something Universal also does with their Express program. It seems some even get tricked into buying it, especially with the way they try to reel you in when you first enter the gates without explaining its a free program too.

While I think having the opportunity to choose return times sounds like a good idea, the problems I've seen with Universal's method makes me hope they develop something different. It may just be people familiar with FP and not understanding the difference between the systems, or it might just be my dumb luck, but I always seem to get stuck behind the family who can't figure out how the machine works, something I've not experienced at the FP machines. It seems incredibly simple, but having all those choices on their machines, from different rides to different return times, just backs things up a lot. Another thing that I don't like about that set-up is you have no idea what the return times are until you wait in line and get up to the machine and check it out. Chances are one of the two choices will work, but that's not always the case as I've discovered. At least you can cancel out if you don't like the time choices. That's why I like FP though that has the return time window currently being distributed listed on the signs aboce the distribution machines.

I'm curious to see how FP will evolve over the upcoming years. Things like "immediate Free-bie Fp" have been going on for a while (HISTA from TT machines is quite common). I'm hoping any changes are all for the better.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I don't like the sound of this at all. These changes would require even more advance planning on the part of guests just to "break even" on wait times.

NemoRocks78

Seized
The ability to choose your return time window from a menu of available times.

I like how you can do that with UO's EP and it will definitely be a welcomed addition.

That would mean new FP machines though.....

Moustronaut

ok this is a little off topic, but it's a slow day at work so I looked up the most recent patent issues to Disney for a Fastpass type system. Patent #6,889,098 was issues on May 3, 2005 for a Method and apparatus for managing attraction admission.

Wow!!! the patent has 212 claims in it. Disney's legal staff certainly earned their money on this one.

The only new thing I see in the sumary of invention is that Disney could use Fastpass kiosks to send messages to invidual guests. The example they use is "'John Doe, please meet your wife at the main gate at 2:00 p.m.' could be printed on his pass by request".

Cool idea :)

lentesta

Premium Member
Original Poster
Do a search on "Disney" and "FASTPASS" to see the complete list of changes. Was the May 3 patent issued to Disney? Lots of people have similar claims that don't work for the company.

Len

tnemgif

ogryn said:
That one is good. I remember being able to do that at Universal.
...Universal didn't have fastpass, at least they didn't last summer, just a ticket thing where you go in a seperate line, but only hotel guests get it and there are no time slots, u just go whenever. Did it change?

Moustronaut

lentesta said:
Do a search on "Disney" and "FASTPASS" to see the complete list of changes. Was the May 3 patent issued to Disney? Lots of people have similar claims that don't work for the company.

Len
United States Patent 6,889,098
Laval , et al. May 3, 2005
Method and apparatus for managing attraction admission

Inventors: Laval; Bruce G. (Windermere, FL); Hale; Gregory B. (Lake Buena Vista, FL)
Assignee: Disney Enterprises, Inc. (Burbank, CA)
Appl. No.: 617721
Filed: July 17, 2000

yes I know it was filed in 2000.

When I search USPTO.GOV for FASTPASS I only one hit and its for a coin-op machine monitoring system. I had to search "Disney" and "ticket" to find the one I found.

Disneyfan1981

Picking your FP times from an available list sounds like a good plan but I wonder what the ramifications will be from the "unlimited FP". If enough people spring for this then it will just bog down the FP line and the appeal of it goes right out the window...

speck76

This could be more of a "Patent every possible scenario" situation.....a good way to avaiod the BS "I thought of this first" lawsuits that have been hitting WDC the last few years

Moustronaut

lentesta said:

Len

Found it! The one you mention is a patent APPLICATION that is a continuation of the one I listed above. Disney has not been granted a patent on this yet.

Moustronaut

speck76 said:
This could be more of a "Patent every possible scenario" situation.....a good way to avaiod the BS "I thought of this first" lawsuits that have been hitting WDC the last few years
I think you are right. After reading the application, it sounds like the claims are covering broad possibilities and not necessarily immediate plans. The bits about wireless devices and hieracrhy could be all sorts of things. It could be to patent FP machines that simply descriminate between resort guests vs non resort guests for handing out FP's for evening EMH's. Also could be for some Super Pal Mickey. You rent a Super Pal Mickey, and then get automatic fastpasses that people who don't rent Pal Micket might not get. The possibilities are endless and I think Disney is just trying to shut everyone else out of it for as long as possible.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Moustronaut said:
But if it's similar to what Universal is doing... how did Disney get awarded a patent on this? If someone else is doing the same thing, wouldn't that constitute "prior art"?
Similar but not the same. I could be mistaken but I think you only need to change a patented item by 20% to get a different patent on the modified item. Also Universal might not have a patent on their fast pass system.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
CTXRover said:
My only hope is that they keep FP as equal for all guests as possible. One thing I've criticized Universal's Express pass system for in the past is that despite the fact everyone pays the same to get in the park during operating hours, not all guests are treated equally.
I agree with you 100%. Because of Universals unlimited fast pass for resort guests only I rarely go there because their resorts are way overpriced and always booked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom