Changes coming to minimum age requirement for park entry

lazyboy97o

The presence of an "adult" would create the defacto consent for the data collection required under the law. And while the law specifically states parent (guardian)...there CAN be a parent who is as young as 14, and this covers that allowance.
But the random 14 year old with the 12 year old cannot give the consent. The rule would otherwise require a parent or legal guardian.

luv

I don't think you're understanding the new policy. If you are under 14, you need to be there with someone over 14. Therefore if you're a parent over the age of 14 (which I would hope you're not a parent under the age of 14) you can bring in your kids. So a parent under 21 but over 14 can still bring in their kids. If I'm a 15 year old father, I can still bring in my child. I think that the policy is better for keeping kids that are younger teens out of the parks by themselves. A 12 year old now needs to have a parent with them. I think that's a good thing!
If you go back and read the thread, you will see that I wasn't talking about the new policy, which I don't like but do understand. :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you honestly believe it has nothing to do with COPPA, you are mistaken. Anyone under the age of 13 is cosidered a child under COPPA, and therefore parental consent is required with regards to collection of data. This is absolutely why they will not allow anyone under the age of 14 in by themselves. The Magic Bands/RFID-enabled media is absolutely collecting data and tying it to the information provided on the My Disney Experience site. The presence of an adult in the park is required to have defacto consent for Disney to collect the "in park" information

BZZZT - Consent is given when the accounts are setup - not by having the adult with the child in the park. Once you have consent, you don't need supervision to keep that consent. You also don't give consent simply by being present - hence the whole reason for the ToS to start with.

Second - the reason you miss the important distinction is because you keep using 'adult' and 'parent' interchangeably. That is inaccurate. COPPA requires PARENTAL consent - not 'an adult'. The terms are not interchangeable.. and that is significant because Disney's rumored policy will be the child has to be accompanied by 'someone over 14' - that person is not sufficent to satisfy COPPA requirements. So that means what Disney 'allows' as sufficent is INsufficent for COPPA.. so how is this to address COPPA requirements?

If the child enters alone, Disney violates COPPA by collecting the in-park data, since a child is incapable of consenting under the law. Registration on the website is not enough for consent for the in park data collection.

Wrong again - the data collected is allowed by the agreement as part of enrolling in the service - not by physical presence.

Physical presence has ZERO relevance to granting consent. If physically present were a sign of consent... Disney wouldn't have to have you enroll online at all.

You are missing the important step that the minor can not gain access to the park themselves without an adult securing their ticket. And that transaction is where the consent is handled.

As to why they allow them to be with 14 year olds, I presume it is because COPPA deams anyone 13 and over to be an adult (it doesn't explicitly say that...however, it defines a child as "an individual under the age of 13," which means anyone 13 and over is an adult). The presence of an "adult" would create the defacto consent for the data collection required under the law. And while the law specifically states parent (guardian)...there CAN be a parent who is as young as 14, and this covers that allowance.

Presence of an adult does NOT create defacto consent (again.. if this were true Disney wouldn't need anyone to agree to a ToS..) and COPPA specifically requires a PARENT - not simply any responsible adult.

Being over the age of 14 doesn't give you legal standing to make contracts for any random minor... think about what you are saying.

Goofyernmost

It's not an issue, you old fart!!! I have NEVER in my countless visits to WDW or DLR had an issue with kids on their own. I have had issues with kids with their folks standing INCHES away. It is a non-issue. Believe me, if it were one, you would hear me ranting on it.
Perhaps, you were one of them! But your not seeing it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've been going there for years as well, not as often I'm sure, but I have never witnessed a problem with the alleged evil Brazilian tour groups either. And who are you to call me an "old fart" ya loud mouthed punk! Get the hell off my lawn!

luv

I used to think people who complained about the BTGs were mean, anti-Brazilian people. Alas, no. They can, at times, make things very difficult for others.

If you haven't witnessed it, you simply haven't been there enough to know.

But they're here to stay, so we might as well all get used to defending our place in line or letting them push right on through the lines.

fosse76

BZZZT - Consent is given when the accounts are setup - not by having the adult with the child in the park. Once you have consent, you don't need supervision to keep that consent. You also don't give consent simply by being present - hence the whole reason for the ToS to start with.
Wrong. A parent or guardian's presence CAN create the required consent. The reason it is an issue inside the parks is because the data collection identifies the physical location of the child...which is a different location from the time the account is set-up. It is NEW information, which would need parental consent under COPPA, presumably,
the parent is aware of what is being collected (a requirement under the law), and his/her presence is enough to create the consent (the law doesn't specify any particular method for acquiring consent).

Second - the reason you miss the important distinction is because you keep using 'adult' and 'parent' interchangeably. That is inaccurate. COPPA requires PARENTAL consent - not 'an adult'. The terms are not interchangeable.. and that is significant because Disney's rumored policy will be the child has to be accompanied by 'someone over 14' - that person is not sufficent to satisfy COPPA requirements. So that means what Disney 'allows' as sufficent is INsufficent for COPPA.. so how is this to address COPPA requirements?
COPPA allows for agents to be appointed by parents with regards to consent, and since under COPPA and adult is someone who is at least 13, the new admission policy satisfies the consent requirement.

Wrong again - the data collected is allowed by the agreement as part of enrolling in the service - not by physical presence.

Physical presence has ZERO relevance to granting consent. If physically present were a sign of consent... Disney wouldn't have to have you enroll online at all.
Wrong. COPPA is explicit as to what information is protected. Any information that could identfy a child's location must have parental consent. Because location is very specific, any changes are just that, changes, and require parental consent (parental consent is not a one-time procedure). Also, the Magic Bands seemingly act as a repository of personal information that is constantly being disclosed. COPPA regards website actions. The consent granted at account creation on a website is for Disney to have that information. It's use in the parks create "new" disclosures under COPPA in which consent is once again required, even though that is information Disney already has. The use of it by adults is obviously consent, and therefore the presence of a child's guardian/parent is the defacto consent (again...there is no prescribed require as to the method of consent under COPPA).

You are missing the important step that the minor can not gain access to the park themselves without an adult securing their ticket. And that transaction is where the consent is handled.
No, that is not where consent is handled. Contrary to what you may think, Terms of Service agreements and admission "contracts" are not absolute and often have unenforceable language. They are tactics used to prevent people from pursuing claims against the company for a variety of reasons.

Presence of an adult does NOT create defacto consent (again.. if this were true Disney wouldn't need anyone to agree to a ToS..) and COPPA specifically requires a PARENT - not simply any responsible adult.
Again, assuming the parent granted another adult permission to take their kids to the parks, they are authorized under COPPA to consent.

Being over the age of 14 doesn't give you legal standing to make contracts for any random minor... think about what you are saying.
That is absolutely true, and is what many consider to be a big problem with COPPA. However, contract law is the jurisdiction of the states, whereas COPPA is a Federal law and supercedes state law. Therefore, while a 13 year old cannot legally enter into a contract and be held to its terms (with the exception of purchasing life necessities and being paid for work performed), they can consent to website information dissemination thanks to COPPA.

WDW1974

Good luck, @fosse76 ... but Flynn ain't giving one inch on NGE and COPPA.

Plain old common sense tells you this new policy is an end-around COPPA by Disney due to NGE. There is no other rational reason for it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Wrong. A parent or guardian's presence CAN create the required consent. The reason it is an issue inside the parks is because the data collection identifies the physical location of the child...which is a different location from the time the account is set-up. It is NEW information, which would need parental consent under COPPA, presumably,
the parent is aware of what is being collected (a requirement under the law), and his/her presence is enough to create the consent (the law doesn't specify any particular method for acquiring consent).

The information collected from the parks was already disclosed to the parent when they agreed to add the child to their profile or when they secured their tickets.

Simply being present does not meet the standard of NOTICE and getting AUTHORIZATION for that explicit use. When did Disney give you notice of what data is collected and how it's used when you walk through the gate?

They don't - those transactions (notice and authorization) are handled previously. The data that is collected in the parks is disclosed then (the MyMagic+ terms of service).

COPPA allows for agents to be appointed by parents with regards to consent, and since under COPPA and adult is someone who is at least 13, the new admission policy satisfies the consent requirement.

Really? I look forward to you pointing out the line and reference where delegation is mentioned in the COPPA act...
http://www.ftc.gov/ogc/coppa1.htm
Or the newly revised version that will go into effect this summer (the consolidated version starts at page 151)
http://www.ftc.gov/os/2012/12/121219copparulefrn.pdf

The requirement is parent or legal guardian. Someone accompanying you is not your legal guardian, even if they are responsible for you at the time. A legal guardian in the state of FL is appointed by a court not by an adult accompanying a minor.

Wrong. COPPA is explicit as to what information is protected. Any information that could identfy a child's location must have parental consent. Because location is very specific, any changes are just that, changes, and require parental consent (parental consent is not a one-time procedure)

Parential consent IS a one time procedure unless the types of information or how you share it change. Location data is new data, but it is handled the same as all other 'personal information' in the law. You do not require new disclosure anytime the data being collected itself changes. If your IP, your geolocation, even your email address change - that does NOT require new disclosure (NOTICE and AUTHORIZATION). Only if the type or handling of the data were to change would you be required to make new disclosures and get authorization.

The law does not require new consent each time you log into the website and they use your IP address to geolocate you.. and that is the same as locating you via your band in the parks.

Do you realize the impracticality you suggest that every time they collect a new location reference on you that would require NEW consent? That means EVERYTIME the child used the website.. new consent would be required. Not only is that NOT in the law, it's insane and they never would approve it.

Also, the Magic Bands seemingly act as a repository of personal information that is constantly being disclosed. COPPA regards website actions. The consent granted at account creation on a website is for Disney to have that information. It's use in the parks create "new" disclosures under COPPA in which consent is once again required, even though that is information Disney already has

Complete rubbish. The data collected in the parks is disclosed (NOTICE) and requires consent (AUTHORIZATION) as part of the MyMagic setup. Presumably they will go through a read and acknowledge ToS at the ticket booths to handle in person transactions.

The use of it by adults is obviously consent, and therefore the presence of a child's guardian/parent is the defacto consent (again...there is no prescribed require as to the method of consent under COPPA).

Wrong and wrong again. Please specify in the COPPA requirements on 'verficable parental consent' there is any language about defacto or implied consent. There is ZERO language regarding the parent's use of the service as it relates to requirements of disclosure or notice. The parent's use of the service has absolutely zero relevance.

Second - there ARE methods described in the revised COPPA on what consitutes verifably parental consent, but it is not an exhaustive list. I refer you to page 160 and 161 - http://www.ftc.gov/os/2012/12/121219copparulefrn.pdf

No, that is not where consent is handled. Contrary to what you may think, Terms of Service agreements and admission "contracts" are not absolute and often have unenforceable language. They are tactics used to prevent people from pursuing claims against the company for a variety of reasons.

A valid point - but tangent to the scope and requirements of COPPA and has zero relevance here except for the scope of what is described under 312.4(a)
General principles of notice. It shall be the obligation of the operator to provide
notice and obtain verifiable parental consent prior to collecting, using, or
disclosing personal information from children. Such notice must be clearly and
understandably written, complete, and must contain no unrelated, confusing, or
contradictory materials.

The only applicability here would be if Disney were found to be non-compliant in their disclosure and authorization. The law is black and white on who must supply consent.

Again, assuming the parent granted another adult permission to take their kids to the parks, they are authorized under COPPA to consent.

Something you just made up because there is nothing about that in COPPA. Provide a cite.

Legal guardianship in FL is through the courts. There are exceptions for temporary custody for extended family that might apply.. but you'd be really stretching it here.

Lastly - just visiting the park in itself is completely OUTSIDE the scope of COPPA. The only reason it has any significance at WDW is because Disney offers online services in conjunction with the features and services. If all they had was you to fill out a paper form, and you did not use any online services (website, reservation system, phone app, etc) COPPA would have zero relevance to visiting the parks. The only reason it does.. is the online aspects and the info in the park feeds into that.

COPPA is not some universal 'protect child information law' - it is EXPLICITLY defined only for online websites and online services. For instance, even if Disney took photos of children onsite and stored them for their own use.. that alone does not make the photos or information subject to COPPA because they were not used in conjunction or as part of a website or online service.

All Disney All The Time

Great thread. Old Fart!!! Love it. Next up is fuddy duddy, nincompoop, and stick-in-the-mud!! Seriously, no parent (with 1/2 a brain) would let their 7 or 8 year old enter and walk around the park by themselves. If they do they are complete dim-witted blockheads.
Call me old fashioned, but we didn't start letting our kids into the parks alone until they were 12.

disney fan 13

It's not an issue, you old fart!!! I have NEVER in my countless visits to WDW or DLR had an issue with kids on their own. I have had issues with kids with their folks standing INCHES away. It is a non-issue. Believe me, if it were one, you would hear me ranting on it.

Amen.

WDW1974

In order for NGE/MM+ to be a success, Disney MUST get the metrics from guests of all ages. No matter what. No opt-outs. No excuses. No nothing.

And that's their goal. ... But I know nothing of the tech and I haven't studied COPPA like I was an expert on security and/or datamining. I am just using plain old facts and common sense.

WDW1974

Great thread. Old Fart!!! Love it. Next up is fuddy duddy, nincompoop, and stick-in-the-mud!! Seriously, no parent (with 1/2 a brain) would let their 7 or 8 year old enter and walk around the park by themselves. If they do they are complete dim-witted blockheads.

So ... what about the blockheads that send their kids miles away on subways and city buses? Or walking miles to/from schools/activities? Countless kids do it daily in rough cities, rough 'hoods.

Yet, at WDW, which still is an extremely safe place, a few kids going off on their own is cause for alarm.

No wonder why we have 27 and 31-year-olds that are like children in the workplace and real world. They were never let off the leash. There is NOTHING wrong with kids doing their own thing (provided on their maturity and how good they've been parented) at WDW. And it's been going on for decades.

lazyboy97o

In order for NGE/MM+ to be a success, Disney MUST get the metrics from guests of all ages. No matter what. No opt-outs. No excuses. No nothing.

And that's their goal. ... But I know nothing of the tech and I haven't studied COPPA like I was an expert on security and/or datamining. I am just using plain old facts and common sense.
Where is the common sense in confusing any person older than fourteen with a parent or legal guardian?

All Disney All The Time

You raise a valid point about subways, buses, etc. I choose not to get into a sociologic debate about predators, bullying, etc. But I'll offer this, when our kids were "little" we went to WDW to enjoy the experience with them, not to get away from them. To us there was not much better than watching them have a total blast on rides, during the parades and fireworks and during Meet and Greets.

I_heart_Tigger

I skimmed through the posts and do that many of you actually think there was ever a time where Disney permitted a 6 year old to enter the park by themselves? Did you not actually read the (incredibly short) article? Maybe focus on the line that reads, "Currently, the policy is that guests under 7 years of age must be accompanied by a guest age 14 or older."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom