Changes coming to minimum age requirement for park entry

SirLink

The cast members aren't allowed to touch anyone. But they could have threatened not to let them ride. Just...stupid. Not that I was there to see the situation, but it seems to me that they should have been able to do something. I've seen Cast Members instruct kids before if parents aren't there.

I'm tired of talking about this in the thread PM me if you want to continue this conversation.

openendedsky

I think this rule has less to do about creeps and pedophiles and more to do with responsibility. I have an 11-year-old brother, and I can say from experience that there is no way we would EVER let him into the parks without one of my parents. There's too much that could happen. They could get lost, lose their pass, lose their cell phone, lose their room key, etc. By age 14, many have gained enough responsibility in order to handle themselves accordingly in a park. Disney is one of the safest places around, but those 13 and under are notoriously irresponsible. I'm not speaking from experience (okay, yes I am, do you know how many room keys I've lost? I managed to stop doing that at age 15, but still).
I think this is pretty much the reason why I can support a policy like this.

openendedsky

But still, if the kid was kicking you...that's not acceptable. They wouldn't let an adult get away with that kind of behavior. Why should they let a kid do that?

There will always be idiots at Disney, teen age or otherwise, and unfortunately, making it so that anyone under 14 has to be accompanied by an 18 year old won't change that...
I've had kids smack the back of my legs while in line to get into the park, with their parents right there and the parents didn't say anything. Like, bro. Keep your children off of me.

doctornick

I was shocked to see the original rule that children 7 years old could enter the park without supervision. As a teacher, sometimes I have trouble letting some of the 7 year olds go to the bathroom by themselves. I can't imagine letting them roam around a theme park.

Yeah, it seems insane to me that a 7 or 8 year old was previously allowed to enter a Disney park on his/her own. I know there is plenty of variation, but it seems far too young to even consider it.

We can argue about what the "right" age should be to enter without supervision (the age of 14 seems to have been picked for Coppa more than anything else), but 7 is IMHO far too young. I think probably 12 would have been reasonable/still okay and 10 would be the absolute youngest that could be considered, though I think that would still be too young.

doctornick

Can we all at least agree that 7 was far too young an age to be allowed in the park unaccompanied? Regardless of why the change was made and the specifics of what was decided, I think increasing it from 7 to somewhere in the double digits is the right decision.

Does anyone disagree with that or are there folks who think that 7 is old enough to be dropped off at the MK and enter the park by oneself? I'm pretty shocked that it was anywhere near that young.

Genie of the Lamp

Can we all at least agree that 7 was far too young an age to be allowed in the park unaccompanied? Regardless of why the change was made and the specifics of what was decided, I think increasing it from 7 to somewhere in the double digits is the right decision.

Does anyone disagree with that or are there folks who think that 7 is old enough to be dropped off at the MK and enter the park by oneself? I'm pretty shocked that it was anywhere near that young.

I agree with ya. Although I think it should be age 16 or 18 instead of age 14 for both but I'll take it. Why in the bloody h would a 7 year old be in any of the parks by oneself?

StarWarsGirl

No, we agree! Seven is too young!

disney fan 13

To go into the park by his or herself...just no. We wouldn't let my 11-year-old brother go by himself. Seven maybe to go off and ride Dumbo while your parents are on Barnstormer. Not in the park by yourself entirely.

Sorry, misunderstood your comment, I thought you said with an older person, not by himself, in that case I totally agree.

All Disney All The Time

It's fine if the 14 year old is a babysitter at someone's home (or at a hotel room; I babysat my brother and a friend's daughter once at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort without issue when I was 14. I took them to the pool, though I made sure the lifeguard was out there). It's not so great if they are responsible for a seven year old in Magic Kingdom. That's just...not smart.
I meant in a theme park.

WDW1974

You really should have gone to lunch first. These people do exist! Is it likely that they would be visiting Disney. Heck, I don't know, it's possible and if you bother to read social news, this situation is not limited to "crazy hillbilly's". However, it was only meant to be a small question, but to me seems to ask more questions then it answers. Truth be known, if a parent allows their 7 year old into a park by themselves, they should be put against a wall and shot. But as you are so fond of saying...that's another thread!:cool:

No, they shouldn't.

I sometimes wonder what alternate realities some people live in. There are kids in cities that age that take subways and buses and walk great distances just to go to school or after-school activities.

it certainly depends on the child. But by age 11 I was quite adept at going around the MK with my 8-year-old brother for a few hours and meeting our folks at a certain time and place. No one tried to show us their privates or grab ours. And we didn't have smart phones like every child has today (not to mention RFID tracking on tix).

You need to teach kids responsibility and to not be afraid of the world (no matter how scary it can be) and WDW is one of the best and safest places to do so IF the kids are mature and know what to do if they need you/help.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I'm fine with this.. Considering I just turned 15 feb. 23rd. So... GOOD MOVE DISNEY C:

I've been getting into parks by myself where my parents just dropped me off at the gate ever since I was 10!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom