Changes at WDW due to alligator attack (dedicated thread)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thanks, @wdwmagic , for the pics. You know, it is sad that they had to put up the fences, but I understand it.

Glad at least that you can rent Sea Raycers (which they used to call water sprites or water mice) again!

Too bad we will never see this again in person:

View attachment 147784

It could if we had the old WDW think WW II submarine nets set on an angle underwater and out of sight But this is TODAYS Disney where everything is now done in the cheapest and most expedient manner possible. Peacemaking and visual appeal is tertiary to making the financials look good

Cesar R M

It could if we had the old WDW think WW II submarine nets set on an angle underwater and out of sight But this is TODAYS Disney where everything is now done in the cheapest and most expedient manner possible. Peacemaking and visual appeal is tertiary to making the financials look good
I dont think underwater nets would work, they would kill all wildlife, could be dangerous for swimmers who dont know there are nets.. and third.. crocks, gators and snakes CAN CLIMB (or in the snake side.. they can slither between the holes)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I dont think underwater nets would work, they would kill all wildlife, could be dangerous for swimmers who dont know there are nets.. and third.. crocks, gators and snakes CAN CLIMB (or in the snake side.. they can slither between the holes)

Depends on the design of the net. Give some good engineers a task and let them go to work. Down in Oz there are some interesting croc barriers which are not overly obtrusive As to climbing gators climb chain link fences all the time. As to snakes almost impossible to create snake barriers

AEfx

Venomous snakes infestation? What are you talking about? There's no infestation. It's a a swamp. Snakes live in swamps in central Florida. Not every snake is venomous, though. It's just a part of nature. And if someone doesn't know that snakes swim, well tough for them.

Just like the alligators, WDW has has an enormous impact on the local eco-system from flooding the swamp as they have with the SSL. It indeed has created more than just the standard "Florida Swamp". This is one of the reasons some of the little "islands" in the area are closed to the public. From folks I have talked to, indeed the word "infestation" is appropriate for some locations around the lagoon.

Oh, and you'd be surprised, a large number of people don't know snakes swim. You have to remember, not everyone is from the south east and knows these things. You simply don't encounter such things in much of the country, and especially internationally.

For example, I don't know where the line is (I'm sure it's fluid) but you don't generally see more than small shoe-lace style foot or maybe two long garter snakes much past the Carolinas, I believe, if that far. I'm from coastal New England, and I've seen one of those little 9 inchers that you have to squint to really see if it's a snake or not, exactly once in my life in nature.

I'm all for folks educating themselves, etc. in general, but I really think that people don't understand that WDW is not "going to Florida for a vacation" anymore. It's "going to Disney". Disney picks you up at the airport, and keeps you on it's property until it's time to be put back on the plane. Disney has marketed itself as a destination in and of itself where everything is taken care of, and in their mind you don't need to go to any other website than theirs.

I totally get where some people are coming from, I just don't think some folks are looking at it in proper context of how Disney sells itself to the world.

SorcererMC

I'm all for folks educating themselves, etc. in general, but I really think that people don't understand that WDW is not "going to Florida for a vacation" anymore. It's "going to Disney". Disney picks you up at the airport, and keeps you on it's property until it's time to be put back on the plane. Disney has marketed itself as a destination in and of itself where everything is taken care of, and in their mind you don't need to go to any other website than theirs.

Quote for truth. I think that's an important distinction, in terms of how FL tourism has evolved, and how WDW itself could be considered an enclave of Orlando. This is also to say that the focus on theme parks detracts from the other sites central FL has to offer.

I mean, are tourists at WDW so far removed (psychologically) from the reality of Florida and 'the real world'? Disney goes out of its way to cultivate that.

Last edited:

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Reopening the beaches for one hour around fireworks time just exposes the hypocrisy of the decision and makes it look like even more of a foolish overreaction. The beaches are no "safer" during the fireworks than any other time of night. Having a few CP's "patrol" the area doesn't make them any safer either. Most likely they reopened the beaches during this hour because they were concerned about a drop in adult beverage and ice cream sales during the fireworks time (lots of people grab a drink and a snack to watch Wishes).

MagicHappens1971

Reopening the beaches for one hour around fireworks time just exposes the hypocrisy of the decision and makes it look like even more of a foolish overreaction. The beaches are no "safer" during the fireworks than any other time of night. Having a few CP's "patrol" the area doesn't make them any safer either. Most likely they reopened the beaches during this hour because they were concerned about a drop in adult beverage and ice cream sales during the fireworks time (lots of people grab a drink and a snack to watch Wishes).
The beaches are fenced in, you can't physically even attempt to go in the water, unless you jumped over the fence. But that would be a stupid decision since you'd probably fall head first. That's also probably why they have CMs patrolling. I think this is an over reaction, but I don't think it's safer at any time of the day. I also highly doubt it was about adult beverages and ice cream sales.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

The beaches are fenced in, you can't physically even attempt to go in the water, unless you jumped over the fence. But that would be a stupid decision since you'd probably fall head first. That's also probably why they have CMs patrolling. I think this is an over reaction, but I don't think it's safer at any time of the day. I also highly doubt it was about adult beverages and ice cream sales.

Ahhh - but you see? The LAWYERS do not care if you hoped a fence :). Oh yes, one could do this.... but the LIABILITY barrier starts at the fence :). Nice that CMs patrol. But once there is a LIABILITY barrier? Guest nickle - one might do what one might do.....All personal opinion - but I think I personally get what is occurring.

Goofyernmost

What is happening is that the area isn't one bit more dangerous (with the exception of the vacationing geniuses that feed them) then it has been for 44 years. There was always the threat of that happening even when the place was being used for all kinds of recreational activity. The fact that it was being used was probably the reason that wildlife either stayed away or kept their distance.

So the fences were put up for two reasons. One was to artificially ease the minds of those that think that that scrawny fence will keep gators away and two to ease up on the liability that Disney might incur if they didn't.

Disone

How about we leave that decision to the safety experts.

If Disney stops running watercraft, etc. - it's going to be because they are being told it's unsafe, because otherwise Disney wants to continue to take in all that $$$ from rentals.

BUT WAIT! "It's not unsafe! It's only happened once in nearly 50 years!" one might say.

That doesn't take into account the fact that the SSL hasn't been frozen in time. It has changed and developed over the years and the chances of this happening due to guest behavior of feeding these animals has escalated considerably.

In the old days, when it was new - alligators just wandered in. As they naturally shy away from humans in most cases, they were not really a problem.

But it's not like that now. It is very likely that the alligator in question (who was rather small) actually was born and grew up in the area. These are no longer wild alligators that just happen upon the resort. They view this is their home turf. When you add the well-documented feeding, it's a wonder this hasn't happened sooner, and the chances of it happening again if things didn't/don't change is a lot higher than "once every 50 years".

We've always known the lagoon was dicey. There is also a deadly brain eating bacteria under there, which is the reason for the "no swimming" from the start. That's what happens when you flood a swamp and create a lake in it. If WDW was built today, it's quite likely that they wouldn't even be allowed to do what they did in creating the lake because of the massive impact it caused on the Eco-system.

This wasn't a freak occurrence - it was a wake-up call, that those murky waters that we always knew were kind of shady to begin with have crossed the line into dangerous. I mean, when you really think about it - the entire thing is was probably a bad idea - theming things to beach resorts where you can't go near the water, creating the lagoon itself, etc. So yeah, I would expect less recreational activities now, not because of "sensitivity" but because of actual danger that has festered all these years finally coming to a head.

You want to jump out there and go parasailing in that water after understanding all of that? Cause we haven't even started talking about the venomous snake infestation...and yes, they do swim.
Great post, one minor correction. The amoeba in question can be present in any fresh body of water, and has nothing to do with Disney creating the man made Seven Seas lagoon.

The Naegleria Fowleri can be found in any warm fresh water. Lakes and ponds, man-made or otherwise, mud puddles, and even swimming pools and spa if they are not treated properly.

But spot on on everything else. After years of people treating the alligators has a petting farm at the Seven Seas Lagoon, their behavior has changed. This may have been the first occurrence in 50 years, but would not take another 50 years to have a repeat of this incident.

There was a post on this news Forum back in 2006 talking about how silly it is to even think there were alligators in this Lagoon. After all with all the development around it it wasn't like an alligator was going to Tip Toe Through the Polynesian to go take a dip in the lake. Literally the post said that. It is amazing how much knowledge we think we have when really we don't. And quite frankly I'd rather have Disney overreact then not react enough. Let the safety people decide, and when lives are at stake i can deal with the safety overreaction. It sure beats the pants off not reacting enough.

UofMGuy423

I wonder if Disney will build sea walls at the beaches now, so that there is a defined drop off but no longer a need for a fence? This way you still have the appearance of a beach without an unsightly barrier. Think the Wilderness Lodge:

the-beach-at-Disney-World-wilderness-lodge.jpg

daringstoic

I wonder if Disney will build sea walls at the beaches now, so that there is a defined drop off but no longer a need for a fence? This way you still have the appearance of a beach without an unsightly barrier. Think the Wilderness Lodge:

I like the look of that as compared to the fences they have up right now. Especially for the Poly since the beach area has always been such a big part of the theming there. (At least in my mind)

asianway

Has this area been fenced off yet and/or inaccessible at night or only zero entry beach areas?

thanks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom