Changes at WDW due to alligator attack (dedicated thread)

Bacon

iu

Disone

Watched the new Castle show today..... are we sure Louis was suppose to be in it. Honestly it just didn't seem like he was missing. There really was not enough time to change the show and it just does not seem like there is any missing voice overs where Louise would have been in. Also Tic Tock from FOF may just be broken and that is why he is not in FOF. I have certainly seen many FOF with out him.

Observations from today....
  • Playful alligator statues still present at Port Orleans
  • Girl still on wire above jaws of an Alligator in Haunted Mansion Gallery.
  • Tic Tock is still in Peter Pans flight, twice The second time with Captain Hook literally in his jaws.
  • Poly beach is not blocked off, just fenced at the water line. should not affect fireworks viewing, does not reduce beach side viewing area. Couples swings and loungers still present on beach.
  • On the Jungle cruise, alligators still part of the show. As my skipper passed them she pointed them out and spieled " Oh this is my friend Smiley, and his friend Ginger. They were looking a little dehydrated earlier today, so I have them some Gator... Aid, and they look better now." So the joke may have changed, but the have not been removed or ignored.
  • Disney does not seem to be avoiding their cartoon or even jungle cruise alligators.
  • They have added the same warning signs that are at the resorts to the rivers of America in frontierland. I do kind of wish that inside the fantasy Realms of the Magic Kingdom they had done that with a cast member instead or signs that remind you of the real world you live in.

Last edited:

Disone

This may have been mentioned, but in the Disney Junior show during the Jake and th Neverland Pirates part, they used to have the kids do a crocodile chomp with their hands/arms to pretend to be the tic toc crock. Now they tell the kids to just clap their hands, but not in the shape of the croc.
I cannot confirm that changes I did not go to the studio today. That said it seems like a smart and respectful change based on the tragedy.

Raineman

Thanks, @wdwmagic , for the pics. You know, it is sad that they had to put up the fences, but I understand it.

Glad at least that you can rent Sea Raycers (which they used to call water sprites or water mice) again!

Too bad we will never see this again in person:

View attachment 147784
I really don't understand why some people think the rope fences are going to "ruin the view". If these fences are going to negatively affect your vacation, then obviously, the resort is the most important part of your vacation, not the parks/Disney Springs, and you could visit an actual beach resort somewhere else in North America or the Caribbean for less than what you would pay to vacation at the GF or the Poly. If I want a beautiful beach view, a resort at WDW is the last place I would think to get it. Besides, if you can only ever afford to stay at a value resort, beaches will never be an issue :)

chiefs11

I really don't understand why some people think the rope fences are going to "ruin the view". If these fences are going to negatively affect your vacation, then obviously, the resort is the most important part of your vacation, not the parks/Disney Springs, and you could visit an actual beach resort somewhere else in North America or the Caribbean for less than what you would pay to vacation at the GF or the Poly. If I want a beautiful beach view, a resort at WDW is the last place I would think to get it. Besides, if you can only ever afford to stay at a value resort, beaches will never be an issue :)
I was there last week and I didn't think they ruined the view. However, I think they look worse from the boats when looking at the beach for some reason. It just looked......odd. But when standing on land, it didn't bother me at all and I thought they looked nice.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
According to the Sentinel, WDW has now officially banned all fishing going forward unless part of an official excursion. They've already put signs up at the resorts.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...ey-world-alligator-attack-20160628-story.html

Disney actually allowed FISHING !!! That's something I never would have even tried to do on property. And I've done a couple of their fishing trips I just assumed fishing was verboten outside of a Disney directed experience because where I'm from no swimming = no fishing either

**Stacy**

I went to Disney Springs last Monday and they had ceramic alligator/crocodile figurines displayed prominently at the tableware store at the co-op along side Figment figurines. At that point it had been a week since the alligator incident. An easy enough fix (pull them off the shelves) but they were still there for sale, so Disney isn't going overboard.

Watched the new Castle show today..... are we sure Louis was suppose to be in it. Honestly it just didn't seem like he was missing. There really was not enough time to change the show and it just does not seem like there is any missing voice overs where Louise would have been in. Also Tic Tock from FOF may just be broken and that is why he is not in FOF. I have certainly seen many FOF with out him.

Observations from today....
  • Playful alligator statues still present at Port Orleans
  • Girl still on wire above jaws of an Alligator in Haunted Mansion Gallery.
  • Tic Tock is still in Peter Pans flight, twice The second time with Captain Hook literally in his jaws.
  • Poly beach is not blocked off, just fenced at the water line. should not affect fireworks viewing, does not reduce beach side viewing area. Couples swings and loungers still present on beach.
  • On the Jungle cruise, alligators still part of the show. As my skipper passed them she pointed them out and spieled " Oh this is my friend Smiley, and his friend Ginger. They were looking a little dehydrated earlier today, so I have them some Gator... Aid, and they look better now." So the joke may have changed, but the have not been removed or ignored.
  • Disney does not seem to be avoiding their cartoon or even jungle cruise alligators.
  • They have added the same warning signs that are at the resorts to the rivers of America in frontierland. I do kind of wish that inside the fantasy Realms of the Magic Kingdom they had done that with a cast member instead or signs that remind you of the real world you live in.

prberk

Original Poster
Disney actually allowed FISHING !!! That's something I never would have even tried to do on property. And I've done a couple of their fishing trips I just assumed fishing was verboten outside of a Disney directed experience because where I'm from no swimming = no fishing either

Yes, the Birnbaum guide even makes a point of saying how good the fishing is. "Bay Lake was stocked in 1971 and has been catch-and-release ever since," it usually says, promoting how good the fishing is. They had cane fishing poles available for rent at Port Orleans Riverside and, I believe, at Fort Wilderness. Fishing is something that just goes with those resorts, and would be a shame to lose completely. Sigh.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes, the Birnbaum guide even makes a point of saying how good the fishing is. "Bay Lake was stocked in 1971 and has been catch-and-release ever since," it usually says, promoting how good the fishing is. They had cane fishing poles available for rent at Port Orleans Riverside and, I believe, at Fort Wilderness. Fishing is something that just goes with those resorts, and would be a shame to lose completely. Sigh.

I read that and just assumed 'Fishing' meant Disney sponsored fishing and I've been going 30 years!!!

prberk

Original Poster
I read that and just assumed 'Fishing' meant Disney sponsored fishing and I've been going 30 years!!!

Well, I think most folks try to maximize their time at WDW by being in the parks (since they pay for them by the day), but I know a good number of folks who would have a family member who would just as soon go fishing while everyone else gets hung up in the crowds.

This is part of what I used to sell about WDW to my friends and relatives: that it was a complete resort, perfect for families and friends where not everyone was interested in the parks. If they had only seen DL or MK on TV and did not know it was a full-scale resort with all these amenities, including lakes for fishing and boating, once they found out, it made sense to them why whole families would go all the time. You could never bring your own boat, but you could use your own fishing gear, or rent cane poles from certain spots.

I still think that WDW management is best to sell the whole resort. Heck, Fort Wilderness alone is a great campground with awesome amenities. But the pro fishing excursions that WDW offers, like everything else, has gotten crazy expensive. It can be a thousand dollars. While they still allowed fishing from the shore at FW or from the piers at Port Orleans Riverside, it was a nice little well-themed (and inexpensive) break to the madness. I hope it gets to come back. But we will see.

Last edited:

daringstoic

Miami Herald (via Tampa Bay Times) weighs in on the rides changed, etc. issue: http://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...igators-and-crocodiles-from-shows-and/2283582

The most surprising thing to me in that article was that in ten years only 240 alligators were trapped at WDW. That's only two per month on average. I'm definitely taking gators smaller than the 4-foot mark that I've seen into account, but I would've guessed that the number would be way higher over the course of a decade given how large Disney property is and their close partnership with wildlife control.

21stamps

Two years ago my father tried fishing in the lake at CBR and was told by a CM he couldn't. So they already had a policy of no fishing at least in some places.
In 2015 you could rent equipment. Much cheaper than the actual excursion..and best thing about it- didn't have to be scheduled/reserved months in advance!

21stamps

Well, I think most folks try to maximize their time at WDW by being in the parks (since they pay for them by the day), but I know a good number of folks who would have a family member who would just as soon go fishing while everyone else gets hung up in the crowds.

This is part of what I used to sell about WDW to my friends and relatives: that it was a complete resort, perfect for families and friends where not everyone was interested in the parks. If they had only seen DL or MK on TV and did not know it was a full-scale resort with all these amenities, including lakes for fishing and boating, once they found out, it made sense to them why whole families would go all the time. You cculd never bring your own boat, but you could use your own fishing gear, or rent cane poles from certain spots.

I still think that WDW management is best to sell the whole resort. Heck, Fort Wilderness alone is a great campground with awesome amenities. But the pro fishing excursions that WDW offers, like everything else, has gotten crazy expensive. It can be a thousand dollars. While they still allowed fishing from the shore at FW or from the piers at Port Orleans Riverside, it was a nice little well-theme break to the madness. I hope it gets to come back. But we will see.
I am trying to fit time in to bike from WL to FW and visit the campground to see the Christmas decorations on the camps sites. Nothing at WL or FW have been changed or cancelled with the new rules I hope. (Besides the fence anyway) Anyone have Intel on this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom