Change in metal detector policy - June 2019

zann285

It detects my Apple Watch 100% of the time requiring that I get hand scanned. I'm happy to take the watch off but they will not let me. I can't see how this can possibly improve thruput.

I had the exact same problem. If the line was short enough I would usually try to slide it off as I walked up to the detector before they could tell me I didn't need to take it off.

Tom P.

really... is it that big of a deal that somebody wands you to just try and make sure you and many other people are safe that you feel the need to complain?

the people are doing their job and i'd rather people were wanded than they weren't... it hardly takes much time!
The problem is not that they want to wand people for safety. The problem is that they won't let you set on the table things that are obviously going to set off the metal detector and then have to waste time wanding people as a result.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
There is still some difference in sensitivity levels between parks. Yesterday at epcot i went through with phone and non metallic wallet in pocket - no problem. Same items at Magic Kingdom set off the detector and I was wanded. Wand picked up nothing. I can also attest that the bag check at Epcot is significantly more thorough than other parks. My guess is due to the amount of alcohol served at epcot and the fact that its more accepted by Disney to be intoxicated at epcot than other parks on property.

Janir

If they are going to have people keep their stuff on them and then wand them and turn out their pockets anyways, they need to install xray machines at the entrances then. I'll unload my pockets or my bag and just zip it though.
I wear a vest traveling and have a ton of pockets and plenty to unload knowing its going to set off metal detectors. At airports I just take off my jacket with my metal in it and let them scan and call it a day. Either let me unload and search away so I pass the metal detector easily and staf up for that or get some xray machines to handle the load of searching.

TrainsOfDisney

Yeah that seems really odd. I’m in California now and they still have the old put it in the tray system.

Honestly, the current Disney system is so behind the times anyways, there are better ways to do it.

And look... save the “it’s for your safety” lecture. This is security theatre at its best and the Disney system (or lack of) is particularly annoying to anyone who takes the time to think for themselves and connect the dots.

csm

really... is it that big of a deal that somebody wands you to just try and make sure you and many other people are safe that you feel the need to complain?

the people are doing their job and i'd rather people were wanded than they weren't... it hardly takes much time!

Absolutely 100% is, because this is 100% caused by a poor policy decision. If something randomly goes off now or then - have at it. But you will not wand me when you forcibly instruct me to carry an object through that we both know will set off the alarm. Try to use some common sense here.

Remember - this is only the theater of security. This nonsense truly makes none of us safer - which is fine because I have and always will continue to feel safe on Disney property regardless.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Absolutely 100% is, because this is 100% caused by a poor policy decision. If something randomly goes off now or then - have at it. But you will not wand me when you forcibly instruct me to carry an object through that we both know will set off the alarm. Try to use some common sense here.

Remember - this is only the theater of security. This nonsense truly makes none of us safer - which is fine because I have and always will continue to feel safe on Disney property regardless.

Most would actually be surprised how effective the "Security Theater" actually can be.

Matthew

End of the day if you set off the metal detector they will wand you if you want to go onto their property whether you like it or not.... just deal with it and don't let something so trivial ruin your day... it's not like its a strip search.... on my last trip i was wanded on pretty much every visit to Disney Parks... big deal... didn't ruin my day.

CAV

Yeah that seems really odd. I’m in California now and they still have the old put it in the tray system.

Honestly, the current Disney system is so behind the times anyways, there are better ways to do it.

And look... save the “it’s for your safety” lecture. This is security theatre at its best and the Disney system (or lack of) is particularly annoying to anyone who takes the time to think for themselves and connect the dots.
Theater, indeed. Disney creates a target rich environment funnelled into a dead end space that is a perfect flock of sitting ducks. And all in the name of "security." It's a facade.

Anyone interested in doing damage will attack the hundreds of people packed tightly with no escape route as they wait to go through "security." My head is one swivel when Im in line.

LudwigVonDrake

It was like this when I was in WDW for Memorial Day weekend. I asked if I needed to put everything in the container and I was told no to just walk through.

durangojim

It detects my Apple Watch 100% of the time requiring that I get hand scanned. I'm happy to take the watch off but they will not let me. I can't see how this can possibly improve thruput.
The thing the CMs tell me to do with my Apple Watch is raise my left hand to my chest like if I was saying the pledge of allegiance. Works every time not to set off the detector.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
That's the reason I never understood why people claimed bagless to be better "period".
Us girls in the family bring a small bag each.
My dad just puts everything in his pockets.
He is the one always standing at the metal detector forever to remove items and then put them back one at a time.
Once he put a single pain pill in his watch pocket to take later in the day and the detector kept going off. He took every single thing out of his pockets besides that and finally the realized it literally was the pain pill causing it.
Bagless does not equal fast for everyone.

That's why you remove them before you get to the checkpoint. Drop in bucket, walk through, pick up, done. It takes me less than 5 seconds to get through security.

It's not faster if you don't try to make it faster.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Theater, indeed. Disney creates a target rich environment funnelled into a dead end space that is a perfect flock of sitting ducks. And all in the name of "security." It's a facade.

Anyone interested in doing damage will attack the hundreds of people packed tightly with no escape route as they wait to go through "security." My head is one swivel when Im in line.

Those chokepoints have always been a concern of mine. Damned if you do, damned if you don't though.

TARDIS

We experienced this in early June and it was pretty chaotic since it seemed all the security officers weren’t on the same page. We had two at the same checkpoint, one screaming to keep moving and don’t remove phones ect. and the second telling us to and them yelling back and forth at each other. I just figured it was new but I got wanded every time this trip and I don’t bring anything with me except my pin lanyard,apple watch and phone.

Monorail_Red_77

I went through bag-less checkpoints at all four parks on Monday June 24. Two of the parks had me go through with everything in pockets. I didn't set off any alarms. Third park had me pull out phone, keys, etc out of pockets and hold them in my hands straight out in front of me and then walk through metal detector. TTC had me walk right past detectors and was told not to go through. They must still be doing random screenings at bag-less check there.

Patcheslee

1 detected DD10s sunglasses, a different didn't. I went off a few times with nothing in my pockets only metal was on my sandals. They just waved me through without stopping so not sure what the point really is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom