Change in metal detector policy - June 2019

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I said I'm going to immediately request a private conversation with a manager.
Actually, what you said was...
34oqiu.jpg

Remember how that worked out for Gandalf -- he wound up fighting a Balrog all the way down into the deep chasm under Durin's Tower and it cost him his mortal life.

Meanwhile, everyone else was riding Pirates.

Last edited:

NickPytlinski

Believe whatever you wish. I never said I'm going to start a fight with an hourly employee who has no control over a bad policy. I said I'm going to immediately request a private conversation with a manager. Believe it or not, you *can* speak out against bad policies, even if they are, ::gasp:: set by Disney.

yeah that's cool.

personally i wouldn't waste my vacation time.

Matthew

Perhaps don't make assumptions. Not that I owe you or any other "expert" speaking out in this thread an explanation, but I hurt my shoulder a few months back and extending my left arm up even a little bit is still excruciatingly painful, and that pain lasts quite a while after making said motion. If something *I* do sets off the metal detector, that's on me, but if a stupid, poorly planned policy of forcing me to carry metal objects that I know for a fact will set it off is what's going to cause me physical pain, you're damn right that I'm going to speak out against it.

So big deal? Yes, it is a big deal. Like everyone here, I'm a huge supporter of the Disney product - but that doesn't mean that I - or any of us - need to just blindly support everything they do, because some of those things ARE poor decisions that negatively impact guests "Because The Rules."

and which assumption would that be about you?

Also I never claimed to be an expert, I simply pointed out that I don't believe been wanded is a big deal.... also pretty sure you could say 'i have mobility issues in my left arm and cant extend it upwards' ... i'm sure that they will adapt for you. That been said i hope your injury clears up sooner rather than later. The assumption that this is negatively impacting guests is wrong... it will negatively impact a small minority of guests which is unfortunate but sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

This is all opinion anyway... i am entitled to mine and you are entitled to your's :) have a great day!

csm

The assumption that this is negatively impacting guests is wrong... it will negatively impact a small minority of guests

Sometimes I forget that I'm in the small minority that carries a cell phone.

(Although it's easy to remember I'm in the small minority capable of thinking for myself without the approval of the hive mind.)

biggy H

The scanners are just like those at airports. You can change the sensitivity to what ever you like also they will have a randomiser built in so that the staff have to do random manual scans.

The scanners basically detect the changes in the earths magnetic field between the coils due to the presence of metallic objects. A large object further away will give the same effect as a smaller item closer to the coils so seeing how close the coils are to start with it is easy to adjust them to detect the lather items such as guns and knives whilst allowing small items like car keys and belt buckles through.

Matthew

Sometimes I forget that I'm in the small minority that carries a cell phone.

(Although it's easy to remember I'm in the small minority capable of thinking for myself without the approval of the hive mind.)

not a small minority who carries cell phones... i carry one... it just won't negatively impact me as i couldn't give two hoots about whether i'm wanded as it's not a big deal to me.

Smiley/OCD

Most sports stadiums/arenas no longer require you to take everything out of your pockets as well
At Met Life Stadium in NJ, we have to empty ANYTHING metallic...coins, keys, phone, etc. I carry an extra car key in my wallet...my wallet has to come out also.

TrainsOfDisney

Out here in California they have overhead signs over each line and it’s a common consistent procedure. Everyone places all metal items in the tray, and everyone goes through the metal detectors. Since it’s consistent, and people know what to expect. the line moves quickly.

Could be luck of the draw, but security seems more courteous and professional out here too.

Thelazer

Could be luck of the draw, but security seems more courteous and professional out here too.

It's been that way for years, my first visit to Disneyland, I was SHOCKED at how nice the CM's are, compared to what happens Orlando.
Then I was even more SHOCKED to see how much repair / paint and etc was done on the classic rides VS Orlando.
It was SHOCKING!

flynnibus

Premium Member
The scanners basically detect the changes in the earths magnetic field between the coils due to the presence of metallic objects. A large object further away will give the same effect as a smaller item closer to the coils so seeing how close the coils are to start with it is easy to adjust them to detect the lather items such as guns and knives whilst allowing small items like car keys and belt buckles through.

That would be true if the scanners were simply a passive induction loop. But they aren’t... because the sensitivity needed would be way too complex for a loop that big detecting such small changes. The scanners are active EM coils that generate their own magnetic fields in quick bursts, then measure how the field collapse is impacted by nearby metal objects. It’s why the detectors and wands are powered... they create their own fields. It’s called pulse induction. It’s the basic theory used by most simple metal detectors, both hand held and fixed.

And distance and size are not simply proportional. The magnetic field is also impacted by the speed at which the metal passes through the field. This is why they tell you to walk at the sypteady slow pace through the detector (and why they use short pulses) and why the metal detector doesn’t trigger easily on things not passing through the sensor area. Magnetic fields drop at the inverse square of the distance.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The magnetic field is also impacted by the speed at which the metal passes through the field. This is why they tell you to walk at the sypteady slow pace through the detector (and why they use short pulses) and why the metal detector doesn’t trigger easily on things not passing through the sensor area.

ZOMG!! Disney is powering the parks with guests passing through an induction field!!

DHSCM

While it may be in improvement to the security, its not enough until they actually to more thorough screenings, check children, and fix the "random selection" ive seen security not check bags because a girl is like oh its just my tampons and stuff and they push there little stick in there for 2 seconds then go eh. randomly selection is literally just who ever is next off the table and do you really think someone wouldnt use a kid. this is one area I actually think universal is better in.

Texas84

Out here in California they have overhead signs over each line and it’s a common consistent procedure. Everyone places all metal items in the tray, and everyone goes through the metal detectors. Since it’s consistent, and people know what to expect. the line moves quickly.
Yes, this. Just be consistent. Some guests at WDW automatically get in the metal detector line when they don't have to and get yelled at.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom