Change in metal detector policy - June 2019

ABQ

It detects my Apple Watch 100% of the time requiring that I get hand scanned. I'm happy to take the watch off but they will not let me. I can't see how this can possibly improve thruput.
Take off the watch before you get to the scanner? Not sure if that would help, but if they won't let you do that after the scanner triggers, maybe having it in your pocket would create a different result?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Fantastic news - this was frequently a hassle, as I have a family member who usually puts a lot of items in his pockets and then struggles with it.

That's the reason I never understood why people claimed bagless to be better "period".
Us girls in the family bring a small bag each.
My dad just puts everything in his pockets.
He is the one always standing at the metal detector forever to remove items and then put them back one at a time.
Once he put a single pain pill in his watch pocket to take later in the day and the detector kept going off. He took every single thing out of his pockets besides that and finally the realized it literally was the pain pill causing it.
Bagless does not equal fast for everyone.

Meeko77

That's the reason I never understood why people claimed bagless to be better "period".
Us girls in the family bring a small bag each.
My dad just puts everything in his pockets.
He is the one always standing at the metal detector forever to remove items and then put them back one at a time.
Once he put a single pain pill in his watch pocket to take later in the day and the detector kept going off. He took every single thing out of his pockets besides that and finally the realized it literally was the pain pill causing it.
Bagless does not equal fast for everyone.
Couldn't agree more - it must be a "dad thing." :) I wore a Disney straw hat once that had the tiniest metal mouse ear shape on it; it kept setting off the metal detector. Wasn't too happy about having to remove my hat that day. Oh, well.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Take off the watch before you get to the scanner? Not sure if that would help, but if they won't let you do that after the scanner triggers, maybe having it in your pocket would create a different result?

It doesn't matter where the watch is. I've held it up at shoulder level, on my arm at my side, in my hand and it always triggers and I now always needed to be hand-wanded. I was completely fine taking it off and putting it in the tray but they will not do that anymore so now I get wanded 100% of the time since this new model went into place. I'm guessing this is a result of some guests complaining about puting their jewelry or other things into the trays but it (at least in my experience) is certainly not reducing the time it takes to get thru security screening. It's actually now taking more resources for security and a longer time for me to get through.

csm

Seaworld has been doing this for a while. It's an absolutely stupid policy. Don't make me carry my iPhone through knowing it will set it off. If you do, don't be surprised when I ask for a manager when you try to wand me.

At Disney, they get quite uppity if you try to put things on the table before passing through. I do it anyway- and guess what? No wand. I'd advise every person that gets inconvenienced by this at every park take the time to file a written complaint in Guest Relations. Frontline people are programmed to follow the corporate machine; yelling at them won't solve anything. GR is the only way there's even a slim chance of correcting this nonsense.

YodaMan

Is this property wide yet? When I went to Epcot in May they told me to keep everything in my pockets but when I was at Animal Kingdom last week I still had to empty them.

GlacierGlacier

I was at MK this past week - they only required me to remove any rechargable battery, which I find quite fair.

I was used to the old system, so I kinda had everything out already, but it's a very convenient change for the future.

NickPytlinski

Is this property wide yet? When I went to Epcot in May they told me to keep everything in my pockets but when I was at Animal Kingdom last week I still had to empty them.

wouldn't be surprised if they chop and change it at every park day to day.
just to keep it different and keep security levels better.
Security gets lax if its constantly the same (its a natural thing for things to slip if you keep it constant for so long with so many different people)

personally, i feel safer knowing they are checking people with a wand etc.
i cant see many can get offended by have a wand around them if the alarm goes off. why on earth would you complain to a manager about a security procedure lol this is not aimed at you. just talking in general lol

Matthew

Seaworld has been doing this for a while. It's an absolutely stupid policy. Don't make me carry my iPhone through knowing it will set it off. If you do, don't be surprised when I ask for a manager when you try to wand me.

At Disney, they get quite uppity if you try to put things on the table before passing through. I do it anyway- and guess what? No wand. I'd advise every person that gets inconvenienced by this at every park take the time to file a written complaint in Guest Relations. Frontline people are programmed to follow the corporate machine; yelling at them won't solve anything. GR is the only way there's even a slim chance of correcting this nonsense.

really... is it that big of a deal that somebody wands you to just try and make sure you and many other people are safe that you feel the need to complain?

the people are doing their job and i'd rather people were wanded than they weren't... it hardly takes much time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom