CEO Bob Chapek?

bluetiedye

Bob Iger bought all the IP, and Chapek would make it flow freely throughout all business segments. This seems like a pretty logical choice to follow Iger in some sense.

That said, I view Chapek as competent (more than most here do), but not particularly visionary. And as Disney gears up to compete with Netflix (media), Amazon (retail/media), etc., I don’t know that he’s the guy to do it.

Captain Neo

Well he certainly wouldn't be the worst choice but didn't he just get promoted to his current position like a year ago or have I lost track of time?

Jennygranny

Common but lazy thinking in corporate America. I worked at Bloomberg in the early naughts. When Mike left to go be mayor they had an interim CEO for a while and had an internal competition for the CEO position. The guy that won was the manager of the London office because London had taken off for sales while the U.S. was kind of flat. All those smart people didn't bother to look at the base numbers. London's sales territory had a ridiculously low penetration, the U.S. market was mature. So the guy from London won based on a bogus assumption of doing a good job and he crashed and burned in a few years doing some pretty decent damage on the way.

Chapek is kind of in a similar position. The influence is on the Parks right now. He's coming from Parks, and Parks are doing well financially, so he must be a strong candidate with exactly the experience Disney needs in the right area. A much more in depth analysis of the long term prospects of the Parks, especially the U.S. Parks, based on Chapek's policies, should give just about everyone pause. But it won't. Because Boards don't work that way a lot of the time. U.S. corporate governance is... not good. Disney is no exception.

Disone

At least he might be inclined to invest in parks more
I think that remains to be seen. He has a somewhat budget cut reputation. Business Publications like Bloomberg and Forbes were saying that while Disney was making all the cuts and the internet was blaming Shanghai the real reason was Bob chapek was the new sheriff in town and he just has a knack and talent for streamlining cost efficiencies and maximizing profits by doing so.

That's all well and good, great if your shareholder reading these Publications, but it does not strike me as someone who should be leading the theme parks. The level of investment you are currently seen at Walt Disney World Is Not a reflection of Bob Chapek's two year leadership of Disney Parks and Resorts. The Heritage and tradition of a Disney theme park attraction is to spend more than what is needed to make it better than what people are expecting.

Nonetheless, I don't really think this is news. Was there really anybody else under consideration after Tom Staggs was shown the door? I think this is pretty routine step towards an succession ending that most everyone has already assumed.

Last edited:

jackmosby

I won't say that it would be the worst, because maybe, hopefully, the next P&R chief will be more competent, but I wouldn't be happy to see Chapek at the head of Disney. He seems to be a cost-cutting leader with a short term vision, and that's exactly what a company like Disney doesn't need. We need a guy like 84-99 Eisner, a guy with a vision who likes and understands the Parks and Resort product.

EricsBiscuit

I won't say that it would be the worst, because maybe, hopefully, the next P&R chief will be more competent, but I wouldn't be happy to see Chapek at the head of Disney. He seems to be a cost-cutting leader with a short term vision, and that's exactly what a company like Disney doesn't need. We need a guy like 84-99 Eisner, a guy with a vision who likes and understands the Parks and Resort product.
Eisner was terrible after 1990~ when he started treating Katzenburg and Wells like *hit.

Tom P.

Chappie is as visionary as a barnacle. Unfortunately, many around here guessed long ago he was the heir-apparent to The Weatherman, and began preparing mentally for that possibility. Not that it makes the thought any less undesirable...
Okay, someone is going to have to explain the Weatherman reference to me...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom