Catholic Mass

Rcoaster809

Original Poster
Catholic Mass Question

Hi, I will be visiting WDW this summer, and the weekend of July 31 and Aug. 1, we are looking into going to mass at a Catholic Church. We are staying on property at the Pop Century without a car. Where is the best place to go to mass, and how do we get there?

Thanks

Tom

Beta Return
Well, unfortunately, the only Catholic Mass offered in the area is at Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine. (I'm a Catholic, and I absolutely hate that name!).

The shrine is located 2 1/2 miles northeast of Lake Buena Vista on the I-4 frontage road. Traveling south on SR 535 from Hotel Plaza Boulevard/Crossroads, drive to second traffic signal, turn left (Vineland Avenue) and continue approximately 1 mile. To get there you need to hail a Mears Taxi from your resort, and it will cost you more than it will at the collection plate!

Mass is held on: Sunday: 7:30am, 9:30am, 11:30am, and 6pm Saturday: 6pm
A priest hears confession daily. Call (407) 239-6600 for further information.

They used to hold services at the Poly, but they stopped in 2002.

Hope that helps. Info courtesy of Deb at wdwig.com

Rcoaster809

Original Poster
Thanks a lot, would be cheaper to get a taxi van that can hold all 6 of us?

Edit: Is a Nears Taxi the same as a Mears Bus?

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Possibly...

You may want to check with WDW. They used to have services at some of the hotels. I used to go at Poly in the luau area. Priests were from Mary Queen...it's just too profitable not to come on site.

TURKEY

Re: Re: Possibly...

Originally posted by tigsmom
There are no longer any Sunday services on property. You will have to travel to the Shrine for mass.

Yep.

Other than on Easter and Christmas, there are no services on Disney property.

surfsupdon

Re: Re: Re: Possibly...

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
Other than on Easter and Christmas, there are no services on Disney property.

I even thought Disney cancelled services on those days as well! If you're right, I'm glad Disney has allowed some services. It's just that more convenient. And a fun way to check out other Resorts, lol.

SpectroMan

It is a beautiful church, and not too far away from Disney property. It is amazing to think that the whole thing was built by donations.

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by Rcoaster809
Edit: Is a Nears Taxi the same as a Mears Bus?

No, same company though.

Mears is the company. They run shuttle buses to and from Orlando locations, but they also run taxis. Just ask your bellhop to call a taxi for you - that's their job :)

eclipseSD

If you prefer a much less touristy church in a much less touristy area, try Holy Family Church.

Website

Its further away, sure, but I am led to believe that is more of a traditional church with an actual parish, while Queen of the Universe caters to tourists. You will most likely not be asked for donations or put on a mailing list at Holy Family, unlike the shrine. It also has an earlier (7 AM) mass time, which could make up for the time it takes to get there.

DDuckFan130

Now I'm curious and sorry to get off-topic

I read in the unoffical guide some negative things about Queen of the Universe. How bad are they? I mean, don't they read from the bible and give homilies (sp?) or do they spend the entire mass trying to get money? I just want to understand how this place operates. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it because my family is Catholic and has been interested in going to Mass there but if it's not worth it then nevermind :lol:

Woody13

Originally posted by DDuckFan130
Now I'm curious and sorry to get off-topic

I read in the unoffical guide some negative things about Queen of the Universe. How bad are they? I mean, don't they read from the bible and give homilies (sp?) or do they spend the entire mass trying to get money? I just want to understand how this place operates. If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it because my family is Catholic and has been interested in going to Mass there but if it's not worth it then nevermind :lol:

Perhaps someone could advise us about a discount Mass?

PAFAN

Mary Queen of the Universe

We go to Mary Queen of the Universe each time that we are at Walt Disney World. The Mass is just the same as other Masses in the country. After the readings there is a homily and communion. There is a collection, however, there is no emphasis on donation.

What makes the experience so much fun for us is the design of he church and the "tenor" of the congregants. The Church is beautifully desinged to capture and disceminate sunlight. The color scheme is white walls and blond wood. It is an uplifitng venue. There is a small chapel to the left as you walk through the entrance that is adorned by stained glass windows in a predominant color of blue. Again, a beautiful venue.

However, what I enjoy the most is the nature of the congregation. The mass is filled with people who are on vacation and who are going out of their way to attend Mass. They want to be there. They are happy to be at mass and participate actively. All are dressed in vacation wear and at the conclusion of the Mass, they leave smiling and visibly expecting another day of their vacations.

There are forms at the rear of the church that you can fill out which place you on mailing lists, however, we have never done that so I can not say if they are intrusive. o

All in all, I recomend that you try the Mass at MQU.

DisneyDefenders

Setting it Straight

My friends...

Our Lady Queen of the Universe is a Roman Catholic Church. The Holy See approves all sacramentaries that are used in the celebration of the mass...so the mass is universal. Whether you go to Our Lady Queen of the Universe or another Roman Catholic Church, you will participate in the same celebration of the mass that all other Roman Catholics around the world are celebrating on that day.

Let's not forget that just because Our Lady Queen of the Universe is a Catholic shrine, the power and water company and the like do not simply accept prayer in payment. So of course, like every other Roman Catholic institution, money is necessary to sustain it. You are not required to pay before entry like a concert or even Disney World, but rather, are given the opportunity to during the time of offertory to ask yourself how much you can give to help sustain the church.

Let's pray for the clergy and layity at Our Lady Queen of the Universe, for they do so much with the little they receive!

BRER STITCH

BELOW IS THE SCOOP ON THE CATHOLIC MASS HISTORY AT WALT DISNEY WORLD, directly from the source...

Be sure to visit the Mary Queen of the Universe website for lots of interesting info. Here is the link:

http://www.maryqueenoftheuniverse.org/index.html

The Masses at Walt Disney World
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the cessation of regular Sunday masses at Walt Disney World we have cause to reflect on a part of our Ministry that was very special, and that over the years provided Eucharistic service to thousands of visitors. Perhaps too it served to illustrate the dedicated commitment to the Eucharist of our Shrine volunteers ( or of our Tourist Ministry volunteers in the early years before the Shrine.)

Let it be said we have never had anything but a cordial and cooperative relationship with the Disney people. That relationship still exists.

Time marches on. Situations change. Back in 1975 when this Ministry began we lacked a meeting place. We made arrangements with hotels in an effort to serve our people. I have wonderful memories of our relationship with hotel staffs, irrespective of which hotel it might have been. And in 1976, after negotionas with then Vice-President Robert Allen, we began our first masses at the Polynesian Cove within the Disney complex.

Looking back on what was achieved, God worked wonders through the volunteers and priests involved in the ministry. On Sunday mornings we had masses at a Lake Buena Vista Hotel (it may have been the Royal Plaza, or th Howard Johnson, or the Travel Lodge, or the Hilton, or perhaps even the Palace We brought our mass kits into all!) Then we raced to the Sheraton Twin Towers some ten miles away for the final masses of the Sunday. How could we have added two more masses at Disney World? The fact is, we did!

We had, as we still have, a group of very dedicated volunteers, for whom nothing was too much! They were always there ahead of the priest, to meet him, park his car if necessary, unload the materials for mass, set up the altar, distribute the materials - and take up the offerings! Without them, the ministry could simply not have survived. At the end of mass the same machinations took place, in reverse! And the Salesian Fathers from Tampa played a major role through the help they provided, sending us a priest every Sunday for years.

What all of this activity says is that the service of our visitors was the prime mover in all our aspirations. When we built Holy Family parish and added three more weekend masses, there was simply no thought of ending the Tourist masses. We just had to find yet another priest to help us out! Fr. Leo Brown, O.F.M. was the first to arrive on the scene at Holy Family. And with only one leg, he still wanted to be involved in the Tourist masses too. Sadly, he was on his way to preside at the masses at the Polynesian Hotel on the Sunday of Labor Day 1982 when he was tragically killed in a car accident.

We pay tribute to the Salesian Fathers, many of whom we rembember with affection and pride. Two of the principals are dead, Fr. Innocent Clementi and Fr. Al Manni. May God grant them eternal rest. With their sense of humor and their dedication they left a permanent imprint on this Ministry of ours. Come rain, come storm, the masses continued.

But we also had a dream that was realized with the first mass at the Shrine on January 31, 1993. We now had a central place of worship for our visitors. Dedication day in August 1993 was a day to remember for its pageantry, its liturgy and the joy of all who had been a part of the success. We were home.

Still, the masses at Disney continued. But time was running out. The priest shortage would create problems. We wanted to continue the Disney masses, but it was not to be. Their time had passed. In late July of 2002 we experimented with offering one mass within the Disney complex. But the double numbers that showed up at the single mass caused discomfort to guests, and with no other suitable place available the Disney Company and the Shrine came to a mutual agreement. The masses would be discontinued, and Disney would direct Catholic guests to the Shrine.

At the outset of our ministry our aim was to make it possible for crowds to attend mass. For this purpose we chose many venues and exerted ourselves in accordance with the energy of our years. From 1976 - 2002 is one year more than a quarter of a century. We are grateful for the spiritual help we were able to bring to our visitors. But at no time did we ever intend to convey the notion that Catholic visitors to Orlando would have the mass brought to them for their personal convenience!

Indeed, when those masses began, the Disney complex stood almost on its own on State Road 192. There were a few hotels there. We recall visiting them on a frequent basis to make sure their guests services knew about our mass schedules, not only at Disney World but elsewhere. Today the same State Road is lined with hotels and places of entertainment right to the end of the line, about four miles beyond Disney World. And today too, the Shrine is a Worship Center that serves the spiritual needs of Catholic visitors from the world over.

Something else needs to be remembered too. When we began in 1975 the average age of priests in this ministry was under fifty. Today that average age has escalated to around 65. The Director of the Shrine will be 73 in February 2003. Most lay persons are long retired at this age! For the small minority who took umbrage at the closing of the masses, we have this to say: the time is coming when Catholics will have to make much larger sacrifices to get to mass, because short of an outright miracle the priest shortage in this country will continue to worsen. Prayers for priestly vocations far exceed in value than any complaints! Be kind to your aging priests! They may soon be all you have!

Personally, I am grateful for my years, and the way in which God has used me for His purposes. Mary, Queen of the Universe Shrine stands as a lasting tribute to the faith of our people from far and near. It is their home away from home. Our faithful people will always be welcomed here with open arms.

Fr. F. Joseph Harte
Director of Tourism
Diocese of Orlando

pax_65

Re: Mary Queen of the Universe

Originally posted by PAFAN
However, what I enjoy the most is the nature of the congregation. The mass is filled with people who are on vacation and who are going out of their way to attend Mass. They want to be there.

It's funny how different people have different opinions. I actually have not been impressed by Mary Queen of the Universe Shrine. I agree that the shrine is stunningly beautiful... and it is inspiring to see so many people in mass on vacation, but after that I have some "issues".

In the masses I've attended, the pastor (I think he's Irish and not always easy to understand) did ramble on quite a bit about how they need your financial support. From the pulpit he even talked about all the wonderful rosaries, etc. that were available for sale in the gift shop. I was waiting for Jesus to appear and drive out the "money changers"!

Like myself, the people want to be in mass (otherwise they wouldn't be there while on vacation) but the masses are long - too long for my tastes when I'm in Disney with two young, tired children. Fortunately the last time we were there, both of my kids fell asleep.

The shrine is huge, and the masses I've attended have been PACKED - literally standing room only. Thankfully, they do a pretty good job handling the traffic flow.

The shrine is a bit different... I didn't feel the sense of "community" that you'd get at a regular parish church. It certainly fills a need at Disney, but for me it's worth driving a few extra minutes to one of the parishes in the area.

Jon

John Baynes

When my wife and I are at WDW we make it a point to attend Mass at Mary Queen of the Universe Shrine. We enjoy the Mass and the shrine is beautiful. It has become a tradition for us everytime we visit WDW. While I am truly sorry that the services on property had to be discontinued, I understand the reasons it was done and the services held at the shrine give those who want to attend a place to do so. I personally am thankful for that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom