Castle Lights vs. Country Bear Christmas

Skyway

Original Poster
Although Disney has not been quoted as saying it yet, I bet that anyone who now complains about the cancelled Country Bear Christmas show will be reminded of the new lights put on the castle.

Yes, it stinks that Disney took away the Bears show. They've got the costumes and the music sitting in a box somewhere, so its not like there's anything new to create or build. They clearly don't want to spend the $$$ on manpower to set it up (and don't buy the rumor that the music license had run out. The same songs were performed in other parks in 2006.) The CBJ Christmas show is just one more "plus" that Disney took away in hopes that most customers wouldn't notice.

But to be fair, they've also added a new holiday tradition that WILL be noticed by all. And I'm sure a rather expensive one at that. Those Castle Lights will be the new symbol of Disney Christmas, making it a valuable marketing tool. And far more people will enjoy, photograph, and talk about the lights than those who caught the CBJ show. Plus the CBJ had run for 20 long years. The lights are definitely a reason for past visitors to return.

So----ignoring the option that Disney could do BOTH if they truly wanted to---which would you rather see if you had only one choice: the CBJ Christmas show, or the Castle Dream Lights ??

CThaddeus

Sorry, if given a choice, I'm going with the Country Bear Christmas Special. The lights are very beautiful, but they're ultimately just lights. I can look at them for a few minutes, but the show is about 15. I have fond memories of the show, and no amount of lights can surpass those. Frankly, if I want to be impressed by Christmas lights, I'd rather check out The Osbourne Lights at Disney-MGM.
I like them both, but I'll always take a show over a display.

ed: After reading more about this, it appears there is a small show before the lights are lit. That makes it slightly more interesting to me (but based on the description it sounds like something I'd only see once), but I'm still going to side with CBCS.

WDWFigment

Country Bears, without a doubt. While the lights are pretty and will be a great photo op, I already have some of the CBC songs stuck in my head after only seeing the video on YouTube. It's a really fun show that the simple awe of lights could never surpass.

leobloom

Da Bears. I prefer a seasonal attraction over seasonal decorations. Of course DL gets both...

But ultimately, I doubt either one is going to have much effect on attendance.

DonaldDoleWhip

Without a doubt, I would say the castle lights. They're absolutely gorgeous and I hope they stick around for years to come.

Country Bears, on the other hand, is pretty stale and boring to me. I don't like the normal show, so I really couldn't care less about a CB Christmas show.

JeffH

The season gets longer each year...

With the Christmas (and Halloween) seasons getting longer each year, I don't know why they don't commit to more Christmasizing of the parks, since they'd be online longer...
With the new castle lights, I wish they'd bring back the beautiful white Christmas trees (bathed in blue lights) that flanked each side of the castle...that would really make it special (and restore a piece of the past)

I used to love seeing the Christmas Bears every year as part of getting into Christmas. We used to love the Christmas show at the Diamond Horseshoe Revue and the comp photos (during MVMXP), that they took away from us many years ago. They've since added special fireworks for both the Xmas party as well as Holiday Wishes.

I know all the decorations are daunting, but they don't have to be done all at the same time...just get them all done when you can...

leobloom

With the Christmas (and Halloween) seasons getting longer each year, I don't know why they don't commit to more Christmasizing of the parks, since they'd be online longer...
With the new castle lights, I wish they'd bring back the beautiful white Christmas trees (bathed in blue lights) that flanked each side of the castle...that would really make it special (and restore a piece of the past)

I used to love seeing the Christmas Bears every year as part of getting into Christmas. We used to love the Christmas show at the Diamond Horseshoe Revue and the comp photos (during MVMXP), that they took away from us many years ago. They've since added special fireworks for both the Xmas party as well as Holiday Wishes.

I know all the decorations are daunting, but they don't have to be done all at the same time...just get them all done when you can...

It's not so much Christmasizing as it is winter-holiday-izing.

I get a kick out of the end of the lighting of the castle. Goofy, Cinderella: "Happy holidays!" Maybe by just speaking of "holidays" they can legitimately include Thanksgiving in there too.

GoofyMagic

Tough decision for me....

Newest, high-tech, DMX controllable, and really cool lighting that money can buy.....

OR

A classic that will NEVER die, Country Bears Christmas Special....I choose The Country Bears Christmas Special.

Whatever the reason...It's DISNEY...it's not my local Six Flags park, who really went downhill decorating for Halloween...Disney is Disney! bring back the CBCS!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I don't have to settle....I want both!

And as a bonus, I won't have to deal with Bigtotoro or Scooter while I'm watching the bears...:lookaroun:D

ToTBellHop

the real question is this: which is more marketable? I would imagine commercials with the castle glowing will be more impressive than out-dated bears on tv. I would imagine the lights will be highlighted during the Walt Disney World Christmas Day Commercial...errr Parade.

daliseurat

I don't want a choice. I want both. WDW has been cheapening the Christmas experience for several years now. Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party has become an excuse to only show guest who attend a special show or two. It isn't worth the extra money. WDW at Chritmas used to be so amazing. Taking away the only plussed attraction at Christmas sucks. Country Bears Christmas was so charming. Now, if they feel it's outdated, plus a different attraction. Like...oh I don't know, HAUNTED MANSION or SMALL WORLD. I like the new stuff on the castle. I do. But don't want it instead of something else.

I've written to Disney before about this and informed them that I will take my money to Disneyland where they DO understand about making Christmas wonderful. They responded with the usual benign argument of how much else WDW has to offer. I then respond with what Disney has taken away in the last ten years. They were not pleased that I insisted that Disneyland was superior.

I love WDW. I will go again for the holidays, if for no other reason than to experience the beauty of EPCOT and the OSBORNE LIGHTS. But not this year or next year. Because my eyes are now on Disneyland.

And now I hear WDW is raising all it's buffet prices by $4 during the holiday season. So they take more of our money and give us less.

Enderikari

Castle lights, because they can be enjoyed by everyone.
Country Bears was only enjoyed by (does quick count) 4 people. Five on the high end

maggiegrace1

I don't want a choice. I want both. WDW has been cheapening the Christmas experience for several years now. Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party has become an excuse to only show guest who attend a special show or two. It isn't worth the extra money. WDW at Chritmas used to be so amazing. Taking away the only plussed attraction at Christmas sucks. Country Bears Christmas was so charming. Now, if they feel it's outdated, plus a different attraction. Like...oh I don't know, HAUNTED MANSION or SMALL WORLD. I like the new stuff on the castle. I do. But don't want it instead of something else.

I've written to Disney before about this and informed them that I will take my money to Disneyland where they DO understand about making Christmas wonderful. They responded with the usual benign argument of how much else WDW has to offer. I then respond with what Disney has taken away in the last ten years. They were not pleased that I insisted that Disneyland was superior.
Not to sound rude but I really doubt that they cared that much...if at all...:shrug:
I love WDW. I will go again for the holidays, if for no other reason than to experience the beauty of EPCOT and the OSBORNE LIGHTS. But not this year or next year. Because my eyes are now on Disneyland.

And now I hear WDW is raising all it's buffet prices by $4 during the holiday season. So they take more of our money and give us less.

Umm it is a buffet..All you can eat..so how is that giving you less?

Just eat a hell of a lot more if you feel that they are ripping you off..

Hell..take a doggie bag and fill it up..:sohappy:

You show them...:rolleyes:

I just do not get why people constantly complain over and over again about WDW changing things or doing new things.

Of course I love things the way they are...I prefer Mr. Toad to Pooh and Horizons to Mission Space but thats the way it is..Im still going to go.

I do not stop changing my daughters diapers because Pampers go up $2.00.

Prices increase all the time...things do not stay the same...Change can be good people.

If you do not like it or think it is too expensive then do not go..I highly doubt that WDW will shut down because of it.

That is all..:wave:

Oh..and as for the original question..I like both but the lights will do..:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom