Cast Member Wages

Goofyernmost

Hi @Goofyernmost, this is an excellent comment and very well said. I totally agree with everything except for Iger's salary. I think he is somewhat underpaid for he has done for Disney's brand the massive amount of responsibility he has to shoulder.

Likewise, for the Cast Members too -- they totally deserve a livable wage and believe they are sorely unpaid but we cannot blame Iger for that. The blame lies with our government and our laws.

This is why I always commend the Auto Industry for paying their entry level employees a livable wage. Costco is another company that should be commended.

I believe Iger is being unfairly targeted and scapegoated to further someone's personal political agenda. That is so wrong -- especially when there are far worst offenders out there like The Discovery Channel and TLC CEO who made over $150,000,000 last year for a couple of TV network that people barely watch. I imagine the bulk of his salary must come from licensing or something like that. Who knows.

As an aside, Disney and Bob Iger have been in the press for banning a reporter. I totally respect Disney for doing this and I would have done the same thing.

There is *nothing* wrong or unethical about it. This is a common practice within the fashion industry. If any fashion reporter writes a bad commentary on any fashion designer and/or the models they will be banned or blacklisted from attending any future fashion shows, viewings or after parties -- without question.

Anna Wintour of Vogue does not bad mouth or slander any designer or model. She just will not feature them in the magazine(s).

The cardinal rule in fashion is "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it at all, otherwise it will cost you, dearly.

No one is suppressing or compromising freedom of speech. But, if someone wants to be a bad@ss rogue reporter than they should expect to pay the price. What makes them think that it's okay to slander, smear and write disparaging things about a company and then expect to be invited to all the premieres and parties -- it doesn't work like that.

Again, the reporter can write whatever he wants about Disney but it's ridiculous for him to expect Disney to reward him for it.
I don't understand that last sentence, I must have missed something, but, otherwise I will be brief. I don't care if he was the hardest working CEO on the planet, I don't care what industry he or anyone else is in, he and his constituents are OVERPAID. Find a cure for Cancer, you have my vote for a hefty reward. Hold up stock prices by buying back stock to keep it that way, not so much. Making a movie, buying an existing, at least semi-successful, franchises, not done without council and input from others. Nope, not impressed. No life changing things, no lives saved... no, I'm not interested in paying that kind of money for that. Compared to what we pay the President of the United States that has responsibilities that would turn the whiny little Iger into a mass of jelly, is obscene and unjustified. He runs a company that specializes in fantasy as a way to garner enormous profits. If the entire thing folded tomorrow, we might be sad, but, the world would continue and not one life would be lost over it. I don't agree with the degree of compensation and I never will, unless, of course, they offer me the job and then nothing should change, it seems like a reasonable salary.

draybook

Hi @Goofyernmost, this is an excellent comment and very well said. I totally agree with everything except for Iger's salary. I think he is somewhat underpaid for he has done for Disney's brand the massive amount of responsibility he has to shoulder.

Likewise, for the Cast Members too -- they totally deserve a livable wage and believe they are sorely unpaid but we cannot blame Iger for that. The blame lies with our government and our laws.

This is why I always commend the Auto Industry for paying their entry level employees a livable wage. Costco is another company that should be commended.

I believe Iger is being unfairly targeted and scapegoated to further someone's personal political agenda. That is so wrong -- especially when there are far worst offenders out there like The Discovery Channel and TLC CEO who made over $150,000,000 last year for a couple of TV network that people barely watch. I imagine the bulk of his salary must come from licensing or something like that. Who knows.

As an aside, Disney and Bob Iger have been in the press for banning a reporter. I totally respect Disney for doing this and I would have done the same thing.

There is *nothing* wrong or unethical about it. This is a common practice within the fashion industry. If any fashion reporter writes a bad commentary on any fashion designer and/or the models they will be banned or blacklisted from attending any future fashion shows, viewings or after parties -- without question.

Anna Wintour of Vogue does not bad mouth or slander any designer or model. She just will not feature them in the magazine(s).

The cardinal rule in fashion is "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it at all, otherwise it will cost you, dearly.

No one is suppressing or compromising freedom of speech. But, if someone wants to be a bad@ss rogue reporter than they should expect to pay the price. What makes them think that it's okay to slander, smear and write disparaging things about a company and then expect to be invited to all the premieres and parties -- it doesn't work like that.

Again, the reporter can write whatever he wants about Disney but it's ridiculous for him to expect Disney to reward him for it.

I can't agree with this. Slander is different from negative reviews. If they're verifiable that is. And banning them is like a kid taking their ball home because other's won't play by their rules. When you try to stifle negative feedback then you make yourself look suspect.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I don't understand that last sentence, I must have missed something, but, otherwise I will be brief. I don't care if he was the hardest working CEO on the planet, I don't care what industry he or anyone else is in, he and his constituents are OVERPAID. Find a cure for Cancer, you have my vote for a hefty reward. Hold up stock prices by buying back stock to keep it that way, not so much. Making a movie, buying an existing, at least semi-successful, franchises, not done without council and input from others. Nope, not impressed. No life changing things, no lives saved... no, I'm not interested in paying that kind of money for that. Compared to what we pay the President of the United States that has responsibilities that would turn the whiny little Iger into a mass of jelly, is obscene and unjustified. He runs a company that specializes in fantasy as a way to garner enormous profits. If the entire thing folded tomorrow, we might be sad, but, the world would continue and not one life would be lost over it. I don't agree with the degree of compensation and I never will, unless, of course, they offer me the job and then nothing should change, it seems like a reasonable salary.

IMHO that's an inaccurate comparison. This is business where your success is measured in terms of profitability, unlike the others you mentioned. There are some similarities however: doctors, presidents and CEOs each choose winners and losers.

NelsonRD

When you create a hypothesis... It must be tested. When a test disproves the hypothesis... You must redefine it, and test again...not simply ignore it. You are trying to selectively listen to support your own hypothesis. That's not how it works.

Pay does have an effect, but it's a dimension you don't want to accept because it challenges the hypothesis

If you don't like it, it's because your statements are too broad and must be narrowed to fit what you want. Does ceo pay really move the entire labor expense? Not in the grand scheme... But that doesn't make the pay irrelevant period. That's where your scope matters

How does what somebody else makes in terms of salary relevant to me? How does knowing somebody else's salary make a difference in my earning potential? It doesn't. You already made the ridiculous claim that if CEOs made less, they would be better people, then you demonize CEOs that make too much while you brag that you make ludicrous money, next you diverted, to people receiving funds for poor performance. All of your rebuttals have not justified how a CEO pay, or somebody else's pay, is relevant to me.

flynnibus

Premium Member
How does what somebody else makes in terms of salary relevant to me? How does knowing somebody else's salary make a difference in my earning potential?

It doesn't, yet you keep bringing this irrelevant topic as if it's the debate. None of my posts have been about what someone else makes impacting someone's earning potential or selfworth. Yet you keep bringing up this whole jealously/potential crap. Nothing what I've said has to do with comparing or judging others. It has to do with how people's perception and judgement can be distorted by extreme wealth. I'm talking about the rich guy.. you keep going on about the guy who isn't making the money.

You already made the ridiculous claim that if CEOs made less, they would be better people

Quote it.. because you won't find it. Because you can't take off the blinders. I've said they are impacted by.. nothing to do with what is GOOD or BAD.. I'll quote myself for you

"On what they value, on how they relate to others, etc"
"It does have an impact on how they perceive and act"
"There will be a disconnect between how people value things"
"I'm saying it is an influencer and often is a factor that isolates them from things they govern."

You are the one going on about good, bad, jealously, and envy... which is nothing what I've pointed out above. Yet, you can't talk about this without falling back to your 'stop vilifying rich people because you are just being lazy' argument.

The point about referring what I make is hoping you'd start to realize I'M NOT THE LITTLE GUY COMPLAINING ABOUT THE BIG GUY. Yet that is your narrative over and over... vs actually reading what is being presented --- that money changes people - money is not INERT.

All of your rebuttals have not justified how a CEO pay, or somebody else's pay, is relevant to me.

Nothing anyone can say will when you are just doing this and repeating yourself...
lalala+can't+hear+you.jpg

If you actually read the posts.. you might find some interesting points. Instead you just keep repeating yourself about what you want to hear and ignore everything else.

Since you can't even digest the posts.. I'm through with trying to break it down further for you. If you really think money has no impact on people's behaviors you must be blind to most of history... or anyone in actual power. Because the guy racking in 5million a year isn't going to make the same kinds of decisions as the guy making 20k a year. Money is not inert. Your argument insists money is inert on business leaders and is irrelevant.. which frankly is obtuse.

NelsonRD

It doesn't, yet you keep bringing this irrelevant topic as if it's the debate. None of my posts have been about what someone else makes impacting someone's earning potential or selfworth. Yet you keep bringing up this whole jealously/potential crap. Nothing what I've said has to do with comparing or judging others. It has to do with how people's perception and judgement can be distorted by extreme wealth. I'm talking about the rich guy.. you keep going on about the guy who isn't making the money.

Quote it.. because you won't find it. Because you can't take off the blinders. I've said they are impacted by.. nothing to do with what is GOOD or BAD.. I'll quote myself for you

"On what they value, on how they relate to others, etc"
"It does have an impact on how they perceive and act"
"There will be a disconnect between how people value things"
"I'm saying it is an influencer and often is a factor that isolates them from things they govern."

You are the one going on about good, bad, jealously, and envy... which is nothing what I've pointed out above. Yet, you can't talk about this without falling back to your 'stop vilifying rich people because you are just being lazy' argument.

The point about referring what I make is hoping you'd start to realize I'M NOT THE LITTLE GUY COMPLAINING ABOUT THE BIG GUY. Yet that is your narrative over and over... vs actually reading what is being presented --- that money changes people - money is not INERT.

Nothing anyone can say will when you are just doing this and repeating yourself...
lalala+can't+hear+you.jpg

If you actually read the posts.. you might find some interesting points. Instead you just keep repeating yourself about what you want to hear and ignore everything else.

Since you can't even digest the posts.. I'm through with trying to break it down further for you. If you really think money has no impact on people's behaviors you must be blind to most of history... or anyone in actual power. Because the guy racking in 5million a year isn't going to make the same kinds of decisions as the guy making 20k a year. Money is not inert. Your argument insists money is inert on business leaders and is irrelevant.. which frankly is obtuse.

I am not arguing the effects of wealth and behavior, or suggesting any other claims you think I am above.

The point I am trying to get across is, what other people make, is irrelevant to your own personal gain.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The point I am trying to get across is, what other people make, is irrelevant to your own personal gain.

Sure.. but that fact does not make executive salaries irrelevant when we are discussing the business. Which is what I was saying to your broad statements about relevancy. They DO matter to the business.

KordovaJD

The wages that WDW sets are those it feels are commensurate with the values the jobs provide.

Most, not all, but most companies will pay employees the lowest wage they can get away with both from a legal sense and supply and demand standpoint.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive. Believing that they are is terribly naive. The lowest wage they can get away with both from a legal sense and supply and demand standpoint is the same as the wage that the company feels are commensurate with the values the jobs provide.

Siren

But, can't we say this for the entire entertainment industry as a whole? Sports stars, actors, musicians, big time movie directors, and our very own @flynnibus (LOL) make "insane" amounts of money, so why target and single out Bob Iger? And, there are people that even gripe over doctor's salaries, lol. And, what about those hedge fund managers and the other CEO's that make five times more than Iger?

Ignore the last sentence -- that wasn't towards you, I was just making an unrelated statement and I should have made that more clear.

I can't agree with this. Slander is different from negative reviews. If they're verifiable that is. And banning them is like a kid taking their ball home because other's won't play by their rules. When you try to stifle negative feedback then you make yourself look suspect.
Hi @draybook! I totally agree with you regarding slander but that's it. I disagree with the rest.

This is not about stifling negative reviews, it is about respect. I don't think legitimate journalists wouldn't even care if Disney banned them, it comes with the territory -- their committed to their craft, not kickbacks and their obligation is to their readers not to Disney.

The journalist can write whatever he wants but Disney doesn't owe him a thing. If the journalist wants to schmooze with Disney then he needs to think twice about what he writes.

BiffyClyro

I know it's WDW, but it's still retail (mainly). Retail is crap, any franchise pays crap unfortunately. That's just business and also the reason I hate retail.

Goofyernmost

But, can't we say this for the entire entertainment industry as a whole? Sports stars, actors, musicians, big time movie directors, and our very own @flynnibus (LOL) make "insane" amounts of money, so why target and single out Bob Iger? And, there are people that even gripe over doctor's salaries, lol. And, what about those hedge fund managers and the other CEO's that make five times more than Iger?

Ignore the last sentence -- that wasn't towards you, I was just making an unrelated statement and I should have made that more clear.
Every situation is taken as it comes up, but, we weren't talking about those people we were talking about CEO's in the business world. Sports stars, actors, musicians, movie directors are reward for they actual physical accomplishments. Sports stars usually have a very short time span to make their mark, actors are displaying their talent directly to the critical public, as do musicians. Directors have probably the narrowest focus point due to the 'what have you done for me lately' aspect of their position. Screw up enough and your gravy train is derailed.

Iger, sits in a chair basically shaking his head yes or no. He relies on and takes credit for whatever the staff that surrounds him councils him to do. If it works, Bob's the hero, if it doesn't somebody else gets blamed and loses their jobs. Can you think of any recent situations where that has happened? I can. To me that applies to any "hired" CEO. I'm not talking about the creators, risk takers and innovators. Just the bobble head people that ride in on someones else's effort and creativity. It's like calling Trump a self-made millionaire. It is considerably easier when you have a fortune gifted to you to seed that situation. Try doing that from nothing.

Siren

Every situation is taken as it comes up, but, we weren't talking about those people we were talking about CEO's in the business world. Sports stars, actors, musicians, movie directors are reward for they actual physical accomplishments. Sports stars usually have a very short time span to make their mark, actors are displaying their talent directly to the critical public, as do musicians. Directors have probably the narrowest focus point due to the 'what have you done for me lately' aspect of their position. Screw up enough and your gravy train is derailed.

Iger, sits in a chair basically shaking his head yes or no. He relies on and takes credit for whatever the staff that surrounds him councils him to do. If it works, Bob's the hero, if it doesn't somebody else gets blamed and loses their jobs. Can you think of any recent situations where that has happened? I can. To me that applies to any "hired" CEO. I'm not talking about the creators, risk takers and innovators. Just the bobble head people that ride in on someones else's effort and creativity. It's like calling Trump a self-made millionaire. It is considerably easier when you have a fortune gifted to you to seed that situation. Try doing that from nothing.
Awww. I am so mad at you for saying this -- especially when you know it isn't true. Iger has an incredibly hard job that no one else who is qualified wants and Disney is going to have a hard time finding someone to replace him. Sheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook was recently quoted as saying, she does *not* want to be Disney's next CEO.

How much do you think Bob Iger should make? How much do you think Cast Members should make? I do feel like you are biased toward Bob Iger. He had humble beginnings as a weatherman and worked his way up to the top. He had to work, so no one handed him anything on a silver platter.

Let's just say you purchased a home in the 1970's for $10,000. You lived in the home for thirty years and paid it off. You didn't remodel it and you still have that dated kitchen with the matching green fridge and stove. The bathroom sink and tub is pink. The carpet is dark green throughout the whole house and there is mirrors, wood paneling and cottage cheese everywhere.

You list your home for sale. Now, in any other neighborhood your home would be worth maybe $50,000 but in your neighborhood properties sell for upwards of $700,000. What do you list your house for? If you list it for anything higher than the $50,000 than you are no different that Bob Iger or Donald Trump.

You are suggesting the Iger should make *way* less than his peers just because it's Disney and that is wrong.

Goofyernmost

Awww. I am so mad at you for saying this -- especially when you know it isn't true. Iger has an incredibly hard job that no one else who is qualified wants and Disney is going to have a hard time finding someone to replace him. Sheryl Sandberg, the COO of Facebook was recently quoted as saying, she does *not* want to be Disney's next CEO.

How much do you think Bob Iger should make? How much do you think Cast Members should make? I do feel like you are biased toward Bob Iger. He had humble beginnings as a weatherman and worked his way up to the top. He had to work, so no one handed him anything on a silver platter.

Let's just say you purchased a home in the 1970's for $10,000. You lived in the home for thirty years and paid it off. You didn't remodel it and you still have that dated kitchen with the matching green fridge and stove. The bathroom sink and tub is pink. The carpet is dark green throughout the whole house and there is mirrors, wood paneling and cottage cheese everywhere.

You list your home for sale. Now, in any other neighborhood your home would be worth maybe $50,000 but in your neighborhood properties sell for upwards of $700,000. What do you list your house for? If you list it for anything higher than the $50,000 than you are no different that Bob Iger or Donald Trump.

You are suggesting the Iger should make *way* less than his peers just because it's Disney and that is wrong.
Please try paying attention. I have said the no one, including Big Bob, should be making that much money, BECAUSE, on one person has enough time in the day to do enough to make it worthwhile.

No one else want's it? Is that true. I could name several that are already in high position in Disney as well as others that aren't that would stab anyone in the back to get there. Bob, has a difficult job? Really. Then why is it that all his assistants are wondering around with a worried look on their faces. Sign of a good executive. But, alas, we all know that denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Oh, and by the way I wouldn't think a $700,000 house isn't a rip-off. You almost make it sound like you believe that I think that Bob aught to refuse whatever the BoD decides they want to give him. I just feel that the when you earn as much money as all that, when do you reach the point where you are wealthy enough? Instead of investing in the parks, let's manipulate the stock value upward so I can be richer then I am already. I mean, in a couple of years he will be retired and get out before the place crumbles. then it will be someone else that will get the blame.

Last edited:

Disney.Mike

The total compensation cast members get are quite a bit beyond what their skill set commands and in this sense Disney is very generous. They are working a min wage skill job, get paid min wage or more and get many perks in the parks

NelsonRD

Please try paying attention. I have said the no one, including Big Bob, should be making that much money, BECAUSE, on one person has enough time in the day to do enough to make it worthwhile.

No one else want's it? Is that true. I could name several that are already in high position in Disney as well as others that aren't that would stab anyone in the back to get there. Bob, has a difficult job? Really. Then why is it that all his assistants are wondering around with a worried look on their faces. Sign of a good executive. But, alas, we all know that denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Oh, and by the way I wouldn't think a $700,000 house isn't a rip-off. You almost make it sound like you believe that I think that Bob aught to refuse whatever the BoD decides they want to give him. I just feel that the when you earn as much money as all that, when do you reach the point where you are wealthy enough? Instead of investing in the parks, let's manipulate the stock value upward so I can be richer then I am already. I mean, in a couple of years he will be retired and get out before the place crumbles. then it will be someone else that will get the blame.

In your vision, with is the most somebody should be allowed to make?

Goofyernmost

It doesn't matter what I think is the right amount, this is about being too much. If I were doing it I would take the time to figure it out, but, it is a matter of worth, not what is expected. I know what CEO's make, I know it's very common in today's world that doesn't mean it wasn't a stupid idea to set it that high to begin with. Let's say that, and I'm pulling these numbers out of thin air because I don't know exactly what they or Bob makes. Much of his compensation comes from stock options which could tank tomorrow depending on the economy. Let's say for the sake of discussion that he makes 41 mil per year. Do you really think he wouldn't have taken the job for 20 mil. per year? BoD's set this pace to make it clear which company had the biggest (you know). It was corporate competition, plain and simple. They all do very well as long as the company does, but, there is no way to sustain it if the company isn't strong anymore. As I said if they offered me that much I would take it, of course, I'm not an idiot, but, at the same time I would know I'm just not worth that much regardless of my background. It is what it is, but, I think it to be arrogance and elitism, and I will repeat that NO ONE is worth that much when common sense is applied.

Siren

LOL. I think his job is very stressful. I know wouldn't want it. But, you're probably right about Iger's position being desirable. And, it looks like we've come full circle on this *again*, lol. But, you have made excellent points all throughout.

The total compensation cast members get are quite a bit beyond what their skill set commands and in this sense Disney is very generous. They are working a min wage skill job, get paid min wage or more and get many perks in the parks
Disney is ranked as one of the best employers each year. I think the biggest compensation is being able to put Disney on your resume and use them as a reference and also the experience and networking alone can open all kinds of doors.

LOL. He totally refused to answer my questions regarding how much he thinks a CM should earn and how much Iger should earn.

Goingdown13

I know most of you don't live in orlando so let me set something up for you. I'm in no way trash talking how much Disney pays cast members, but those of you who aren't one please try and imagine going to work and being outside all day. Rain or shine, in the Orlando heat takes a toll. Now imagine a lot of people who are angry about something you have no control over. Imagine having thousands of peoples safety in your hands every hour of every day.

There are some rolls within the disney company that do not require high amounts of skill. However, it takes a great deal of skill to deliver the service you guys want, day in and day out. It doesn't *always* take a high skill level to be a cast member but it DOES take a high skill level to be a good cast member.

Also one note worth pointing out for people who say "Why don't you go work somewhere else" well Disney is the largest employer and most of the other jobs in the area are service industry related and they all pay similarly. So with the exception of moving elsewhere Disney is the best option for THOUSANDS of people in the central florida area. All of this is not a jab at Disney, because there certainly are thousands of well paying jobs within the company, but the service industry as a whole in the fact that they do not pay typically enough to cover living in the area.

Also consider.... The attached image is for a 1 bedroom apartment near Disney. I can vouch these prices are similar everywhere in Orlando. Your only option is to have roommates, which is fine, but its not an outrageous thing to want a place to call YOUR home.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 7.39.06 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 7.39.06 PM.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 57

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom