Cast member strike vote, June 6, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

alecshawn

Actually,

if you want to get picky, Communism is only a political practice in China. As far as economics go, China is the only place in the world that true capitalism exists in. Not the US. Not New York, Not Los Angeles. China, Hong Kong, Macau, Shanghai, Beijing. That is the new land of opportunity (with fewer freedoms laced with more common sense)

:)
China is a strange place..Western "ways" is an ISSUE for the leadership. I give it 20 years and the communist side of it WILL fall. People if thier EDUCATED will choose a free nation anytime. Just look at Venezuela. It is beginning there from the inside. Chavez has turned it "nationalized" The revolt has begun.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
China is a strange place..Western "ways" is an ISSUE for the leadership. I give it 20 years and the communist side of it WILL fall. People if thier EDUCATED will choose a free nation anytime. Just look at Venezuela. It is beginning there from the inside. Chavez has turned it "nationalized" The revolt has begun.
China is a true free market economy for westerners and smart Chinese. Not even the US can say that it has a true market economy for its residents.

Point in case, ask for competition to first-class mail ;) Or on select airfare routes in which there is only 1 carrier :)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
10 pages of comments for nothing the contract passed

nonsense, we ended the conversation by avoiding politics and having a completely socioeconomic discussion comparing China, the United States, and Russia :) What a comparo!

It is people like you that think that cheap prices at Walmart are cool, as long as you are not the slave labor in Asia creating the product. I would rather sacrifice $100 to get into Disney on a single day and know that everyone that is working there is getting paid very well for their work.

Sorry but to burst your bubble, but I try to avoid buying anything from the asian slave countries like China and Vietnam, not because I have any feeling for people that support a country that uses them like slaves but because the quality is usually horrible.

And if you don't like what your being paid, go get a job somewhere else. Unionized food workers have always annoyed me beyond belief, when I was at college in the north east there was a strike by food workers... it seems 14$/hour wasn't enough when the average McDonalds worker was making less than 8$/hour.

By and large union workers are over paid for what they do. Unions in general have outlived their usefulness. They served a purpose when companies were exploiting workers in the early 1900's but since the mid 50's they have done nothing except foster lazy overpaid workers.

alecshawn

China is a true free market economy for westerners and smart Chinese. Not even the US can say that it has a true market economy for its residents.

Point in case, ask for competition to first-class mail ;) Or on select airfare routes in which there is only 1 carrier :)
I could argue that online bill pay is a GREAT competitor of the usps.:p

alecshawn

Sorry but to burst your bubble, but I try to avoid buying anything from the asian slave countries like China and Vietnam, not because I have any feeling for people that support a country that uses them like slaves but because the quality is usually horrible.

And if you don't like what your being paid, go get a job somewhere else. Unionized food workers have always annoyed me beyond belief, when I was at college in the north east there was a strike by food workers... it seems 14$/hour wasn't enough when the average McDonalds worker was making less than 8$/hour.

By and large union workers are over paid for what they do. Unions in general have outlived their usefulness. They served a purpose when companies were exploiting workers in the early 1900's but since the mid 50's they have done nothing except foster lazy overpaid workers.
100% correct.

mary219

As far as unions protecting lazy overpaid workers i agree and disagree,overpaid?not quite sure about that,what does "overpaid" really mean?Your average union worker in general is more than likely being paid a fair amount in order to live.But lazy and taking advantage of union protection,absolutely!!!!There are workers that have the protection of the union and get away with murder.
It is very hard to tolerate a fellow employee who basically does a lousy job,puts no effort into their job,flaunts their lousy behavior and then cries to the union when reprimanded by the company they work for.Then the union steps in and the worker gets away with it once again.Definitely a problem.

But that comes down to work ethic.Because you are unionized does not mean you do not have work ethic.The majority of unionized employees do their job and never even have to deal with a shop steward or union brass in connection with saving their ______ to keep a job.
I think its a shame that peoples attitudes are if you dont like it leave and unions do nothing but protect lazy people who make too much money.What a croc.To much money for what?To pay your bills and put food on your table without goverment assistance?Do people honestly believe that a unionized worker is sitting at home lighting cigars with all the money they made off of some poor company that had to pay their huge salary?C'mon,be realistic.
The corporations that run this country would love nothing more than to pay nothing to the workers who are the backbone of their company,give their employees absolutely no benefits or sick time.
In a perfect america,there would be no reason for a union or any type of organized employees,but ,thats not the reality.
Bravo to those of you who are non union and getting by just fine,but many people without a union,especially blue collar workers,in certain states would never survive financially,and please dont tell me too bad,its just a rotten way to view things and it wreaks of self importance.
maybe its time that companies be held accountable for the way they try to not pay fair wages and benefits,so unions can become a thing of the past,but for now,i say take the good with the bad and let employees be organized to obtain what they want.

That's good to know... I was under the impression that China censored the internet and press... But if they are a TRUE free market economy I'm sure that can't be true. I mean everyone knows you can't have a free market economy if there is any form of censorship it would stiffle the exchange of information which is critical to any TRUE free market economy.

I'm sure the government allows a free exchange of information in China don't they... I mean the news articles on censorship in China were just misunderstandings right? And the persecution of religious groups never did happen either right? I mean in a TRUE free market you can not only sell good freely but also services - like religion (which was pretty much given away)...

Sorry MKT but your ignorance on China and a free market is making me ill.

As far as unions protecting lazy overpaid workers i agree and disagree,overpaid?not quite sure about that,what does "overpaid" really mean?Your average union worker in general is more than likely being paid a fair amount in order to live.But lazy and taking advantage of union protection,absolutely!!!!There are workers that have the protection of the union and get away with murder.
It is very hard to tolerate a fellow employee who basically does a lousy job,puts no effort into their job,flaunts their lousy behavior and then cries to the union when reprimanded by the company they work for.Then the unioon steps in and the worker gets away with it once again.Definitely a problem.

But that comes down to work ethic.Because you are unionized does not mean you do not have work ethic.The majority of unionized employees do their job and never even have to deal with a shop steward or union brass in connection with saving their ______ to keep a job.
I think its a shame that peoples attitudes are if you dont like it leave and unions do nothing but protect lazy people who make too much money.What a croc.To much money for what?To pay your bills and put food on your table without goverment assistance?Do people honestly believe that a unionized worker is sitting at home lighting cigars with all the money they made off of some poor company that had to pay their huge salary?C'mon,be realistic.
The corporations that run this country would love nothing more than to pay nothing to the workers who are the backbone of their company,give their employees absolutely no benefits or sick time.
In a perfect america,there would be no reason for a union or any type of organized employees,but ,thats not the reality.
Bravo to those of you who are non union and getting by just fine,but many people without a union,especially blue collar workers,in certain states would never survive financially,and please dont tell me too bad,its just a rotten way to view things and it wreaks of self importance.
maybe its time that companies be held accountable for the way they try to not pay fair wages and benefits,so unions can become a thing of the past,but for now,i say take the good with the bad and let employees be organized to obtain what they want.

If blue collar workers in certain states can't survive financially in that state without the aid of a union then they should move to a cheaper state. Too often I hear stories of the high cost of living in places like New York City and people complaining about not being able to live on the salary they make there, well guess what the US is a big country and in many places outside mega-pricey cities a person can live quite well on a lot less money.

The fact is you accepted that unions protect lazy workers, But unions are ruled by the workers so when a lazy worker is protected its a reflection of the all the union members. If the majority of the union members had "good work ethics" they wouldn't have put all the protections into their union contracts that make the lazy workers untouchable.

mary219

If blue collar workers in certain states can't survive financially in that state without the aid of a union then they should move to a cheaper state. Too often I hear stories of the high cost of living in places like New York City and people complaining about not being able to live on the salary they make there, well guess what the US is a big country and in many places outside mega-pricey cities a person can live quite well on a lot less money.

The fact is you accepted that unions protect lazy workers, But unions are ruled by the workers so when a lazy worker is protected its a reflection of the all the union members. If the majority of the union members had "good work ethics" they wouldn't have put all the protections into their union contracts that make the lazy workers untouchable.

Ok ,you all changed my opinions ,I will quite my job, move to a new state
and become non union.I will advise everyone i work with here in ny to do the same.Thanks for straightening me out. Love, A fat cat,very rich from my ill gotten gains as a union employee worker.

rtiller

It is very hard to tolerate a fellow employee who basically does a lousy job,puts no effort into their job,flaunts their lousy behavior and then cries to the union when reprimanded by the company they work for.Then the unioon steps in and the worker gets away with it once again.Definitely a problem.

Unfortunatley I can't agree with most of the statments about unions. The workers I don't have a lot of experience with but unions as a whole I have a bit and I don't agree with them for the most part.

My dad worked 30 years for General Motors on the floor of their facility and was salary not union. He worked his butt off usually 7 days a week and bounced from 1st to 2nd to 3rd shift. He didn't complain as he was making a living for our family. He didn't have a lot of bad things to say about the union then but he didn't care for the strikes and did see those that got away with being lazy and then going on strike.

The company I work for now has to interact with union workers when we attend tradeshows. The workers are nice, but when we have to pay a $100 per hour bill for a union worker to take 10 minutes to attach a light to our booth that we could hang...I get a little upset. We own the booth and we own the light but I have to pay $100 to have it hung...crazy. And you know where those over inflated costs go...to our customers...and then to consumers.

Basically I think it does come down to making the deicision to work there or not. I don't understand someone wanting to work somewhere and then deciding they think they are owed something more than what they have agreed to. When my review comes around if I'm not happy with the pay or the benefits I can take it or leave. Some may think that makes a company bad or evil but I see it as good business. If there is something better out there you have the right to pursue that option. If there isn't anything better than things must be good.

Eyorefan

I think its a shame that peoples attitudes are if you dont like it leave and unions do nothing but protect lazy people who make too much money.What a croc.To much money for what?To pay your bills and put food on your table without goverment assistance?

I would agree that not all union members are paid all that great, but more often than not they are paid too much for what they do. I think the problem workers have, not just union members but all workers is that they forget what the company is there for. The company is there to make a product or provided a service to its customers that will generate a profit. It's not there to put food on peoples tables. It's not there so that you can have health insurance and it's not there to pay for your retairment.

In order to get and keep good workers companies have to pay competive wages and offer extra insentives like insurance, but the way people act like companies have to provided them with a certain standard of living just because they show up for work everyday is rediculas.

I know it sucks and it's not kind and caring, and there are a lot of hard working people who are living below the poverty line because of their low wages, but that's America.

MythBuster

Unfortunatley I can't agree with most of the statments about unions. The workers I don't have a lot of experience with but unions as a whole I have a bit and I don't agree with them for the most part.

The company I work for now has to interact with union workers when we attend tradeshows. The workers are nice, but when we have to pay a $100 per hour bill for a union worker to take 10 minutes to attach a light to our booth that we could hang...I get a little upset. We own the booth and we own the light but I have to pay $100 to have it hung...crazy. And you know where those over inflated costs go...to our customers...and then to consumers.

When you pay that $100, where does that $100 go? Does it go to the union? Does it go to the Electrician? The electrician only gets probably $20 a hour, so the company managing the tradeshow or building gets the rest of the money. So does that make Unions bad?

When you go to a car dealer and have you car worked on, iif it takes 5 minutes or 60 minutes you get the same charge. They charge you for a hourly rate $75 a hour.

If you talk to a lawyer on the phone, you can get charged up to $200 for a 5 minute phone call.

You go to a doctors office and he actually talks to you for 2 minutes, but you get charged a $100 for a office visit.

So I guess this all the Unions fault???

When you pay that $100, where does that $100 go? Does it go to the union? Does it go to the Electrician? The electrician only gets probably $20 a hour, so the company managing the tradeshow or building gets the rest of the money. So does that make Unions bad?

When you go to a car dealer and have you car worked on, iif it takes 5 minutes or 60 minutes you get the same charge. They charge you for a hourly rate $75 a hour.

If you talk to a lawyer on the phone, you can get charged up to $200 for a 5 minute phone call.

You go to a doctors office and he actually talks to you for 2 minutes, but you get charged a $100 for a office visit.

Okay great defender of the unions.... explain this... an average airline pilots salary is over 120,000/year... Hmmm... sound like enough for most people... yet they decide to strike because they want more and leave passengers stranded god knows where and destroy countless vacations...

So come on, lets hear your defense of the over paid pilots messing up everyones lives because 120,000/year isn't enough money.

MythBuster

Okay great defender of the unions.... explain this... an average airline pilots salary is over 120,000/year... Hmmm... sound like enough for most people... yet they decide to strike because they want more and leave passengers stranded god knows where and destroy countless vacations...

So come on, lets hear your defense of the over paid pilots messing up everyones lives because 120,000/year isn't enough money.

It sounds like you are trying to compare apples with oranges.

I don't think unions are that great, but they are necessary.

Let's face it. If a company's management treated everyone fairly and equally, then you wouldn't need unions.

And talking abot the pilots, what does the CEO and top management make?
10 times or maybe 20 times that much? Do they really do that much more work? plus, they get all the benefits and compensations that other people don't get. Shouldn't that be enough money for them???

It sounds like you are trying to compare apples with oranges.

I don't think unions are that great, but they are necessary.

Let's face it. If a company's management treated everyone fairly and equally, then you wouldn't need unions.

And talking abot the pilots, what does the CEO and top management make?
10 times or maybe 20 times that much? Do they really do that much more work? plus, they get all the benefits and compensations that other people don't get. Shouldn't that be enough money for them???

No apples to oranges comparison there... I just gave a one of the best examples of unions hurting people so overpaid union members can yank a few more dollars from the till.

And who cares what the CEO makes at a company, there is only one of him there are thousands of union members in a company and everything they get gets magnified thousands of times.

brainpile3000

Ok ,you all changed my opinions ,I will quite my job, move to a new state
and become non union.I will advise everyone i work with here in ny to do the same.Thanks for straightening me out. Love, A fat cat,very rich from my ill gotten gains as a union employee worker.

Well he does make a good point. You control where you live and the expenses you pay. If they prove to be too expensive for your skill level then you've either have to increase your skill (to earn more money) or decrease your expenses (by moving). Both options are far more effective than complaining about it...

(ps: how many posts do i need to not be at 'just joined' status?)

brainpile3000

The point he is making is that the union over inflates the cost of labor. Thus, he has to pay $100 for simple labor that he could do himself with the electrician taking home $20 versus paying $60 and the electrician taking home $5.

And all those other examples you make are not the unions fault--its the result of someones hard work allowing them to charge that much. That is far different that unions forcing employeers to pay much more than their labor is worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom